Non-motoring > Zero percent beers. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 25

Zero percent beers. - R.P.
Out last night, I was designated driver, cue glass of Pepsi/Coke (pretty awful stuff from a pump) - next round I took a Guinness (no alcohol). Which gave me a "long" drink that looked quite good - there was definate a an after-taste which was different and boderline unpleasant. Not unopleasant enough for a second glass. Should beer be de-alcoholised ? Wouldn't have it again....
 Zero percent beers. - Zero
>> Should beer be de-alcoholised

No it shouldn't, ever. It is almost universally foul. The only alcohol free drink I have ever found drinkable is NoSecco.

When being the Uber, I drink branded tonic with ice and lemon. At least it tastes a bit like a GnT and the look fools the brain.
As an Alcohol aside, Late yesterday I had a colonoscopy, a pretty uncomfortable experience, so when asked if I wanted sedation I told them to give me the works. So I had fentanyl, diazepam, and entonox. Despite the warning I had two glasses of a very nice Fitou with dinner.

Needless to say I slept very well indeed last night.
 Zero percent beers. - Falkirk Bairn
I have had 5 x colonoscopies frpm 2010.
I have been offered sedation but never taken up the offer.

The reason is if you have sedation you have to hang around for ages and recommended to delay driving.

No sedation can see you back in the driving seat in 30 minutes - getting dressed + drink.

I do not take injections for fillings at the dentist - frozen mouth, drooling etc etc
I do have an injections for extractions, root canal.

>> The reason is if you have sedation you have to hang around for ages and
>> recommended to delay driving.

Your drivers comes to collect you. you can be stuffing down much needed food on your way home.
 Zero percent beers. - Manatee
>>No sedation can see you back in the driving seat in 30 minutes

There is a cake-and-eat-it solution as it happens.

I've had two of these investigations. I made the mistake with the first one of arranging it one morning before a trip, driving, to London so I had to put up with the 'discomfort' and no sedation.

Some time later I had another. I had private care from my employer at the time. They actually had an anaesthetist on hand throughout who continuously administered throughout the procedure something I long ago forgot the name of, with an effective half-life of 15 minutes. No impairment at all, no discomfort whatsoever, and fully safe to drive after a cup of tea.
 Zero percent beers. - Kevin
>Late yesterday I had a colonoscopy,..

Problems at our local hospital but management say they're getting to the bottom of it.

www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/23294641.hospital-trust-review-ageing-equipment-used-colonoscopies/
 Zero percent beers. - tyrednemotional
...they'd better sort it or someone is in for an Anus Horribilis....
 Zero percent beers. - Runfer D'Hills
That’s a bummer.

>> www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/23294641.hospital-trust-review-ageing-equipment-used-colonoscopies/

Worn out - too many A-holes in Boozingstoke.
 Zero percent beers. - sooty123
I've had a couple I like and would drink again, some aren't very nice. Mind you there's some alcoholic drinks that I wouldn't have again!
 Zero percent beers. - zippy
In the '80's I used to drink non-alcoholic drinks called Drivers. They were shorts like rum and coke.

They smelt enough like alcohol that if I got stopped by the Rozzers, there would always be a breath test. (Usually at 2 or 3 am on the only road between two towns).

They tasted awful.
 Zero percent beers. - Lygonos
I find the Guinness 0% quite palatable.

£4 for 4 tins.

Slightly less bitter than the real thing but doesn't taste like malty water like some of the 0% lager/ales do.

Becks Blue and Erdinger are ok too.
 Zero percent beers. - Runfer D'Hills
If I’m going to drive, or have another reason, or simply choose not to drink alcohol, I drink water. Can’t be bothered with the imitation drinks.

And, water is very nice actually.
 Zero percent beers. - Bobby
Was up at friends last week for dinner. I was designated driver.

Have never found any zero alcohol that I like, and find Diet Coke too gassy for a meal.
In Aldi I found lemonade and lime shandies. Bought them for a change.

Took me back to my childhood and Top Deck shandies!!

Bit sweet but did the job!
 Zero percent beers. - Manatee
Beck's Blue has a whiff of something unpleasant to me, possibly cat pee. Heineken Zero is deficient in flavour but not actually offensive, OK for a hot day. I usually keep a few of the malty ones in, Erdinger or the cheap Bavaria from Tesco. Not very beery but at least they have a taste that's not actually unpleasant.

I haven't tried the Guinness 0%.

In about 1969, I remember, I and some friends had a meal in the restaurant on the bridge at Leicester Forest services on the M1. They sold us some <0.5% stuff called Clausthaler which is still around, I think Ocadoo sells it. TBH I don't think it's been improved upon very much in the 53 years since.
 Zero percent beers. - Lygonos
I think the Becks Blue is slightly over-hopped perhaps to make up for the missing alcohol?

I don't find it unpleasant but appreciate others may well do.

I still have a few bottles of Heineken kicking around - very inoffensive but it is certainly not just malt, water, hops and yeast.

Emblazoned on the bottle is "pure malt lager"

The ingredients are water, malted barley, hop extract, natural flavourings.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 29 Jan 23 at 16:53
Ilkley brewery do a nice selection of NA beers, their take on guiness is quite nice. They also do some nice normal beers.
 Zero percent beers. - bathtub tom
I find the low alcohol beers (2% or less) to be quite tasty. I'll only have one if I'm driving.
Zero, hope you are well after your op.

Quite oddly my wife had a couple of Bacardi and Cokes (very 80s !)...I recall a non alcohol beer called Kaliber IIRC, that was grim, not ever touched it.

Whilst on holiday in the Netherlands the village Co-oP had an extraordinary selection of beers. I dabbled with various brands and variations ! On the last but one day I went down to the store with my host's wife just to get a couple of beers to drink on their patio as a sundowner (it was 30 degrees plus in the daytime) - she picked a pack of alcohol free beers, probably thought I had a problem !

Some nights when I go for my weekly "pint" or three, I often have a couple of pints and maybe a shandy, very refreshing.
 Zero percent beers. - legacylad
>> Ilkley brewery do a nice selection of NA beers, their take on guiness is quite
>> nice. They also do some nice normal beers.
>>
They certainly do.
I had a quick half of Mary Jane, my favourite Ilkley beer, early doors Saturday. Couldn’t stay late drinking MJ as I was away at 05:30 today helping on ‘That’s Lyth’, one of my walking groups annual events.
I ordered some joshua jane and their lager. Both very nice, delivery only takes a couple of days. And a few nowt marys. My first order, don't think it'll be my last. Thanks for the tip.
 Zero percent beers. - Bromptonaut
Given the extent to which the alcohol is part of the taste/smell/experience with beer - try Spanish market San Miguel at 5.6% abv versus the carp brewed in Northampton for UK consumers at 5% - I don't think any 0% beer is going to be that good.

Have tried the odd one when having to drive but most have the 'cat pee' effect mentioned upthread or something similar as an after taste. Becks Blue wasn't too bad and my son says Guiness is ok.

On the whole though they're no comparison with the 5%+ beers I prefer for home rather than session consumption.
 Zero percent beers. - Terry
Just about every dictionary definition describes "beer" as an alcoholic drink brewed from malt, sugar, hops, and water and fermented with yeast.

0% drinks are not beer although they may pass the "taste test" on their own merits. The absence of alcohol means their closest competition comes from carbonated soft drinks - lemonade, coke, ginger beer, I've been tango'ed etc.

Live Rooms, Chester on Friday nights. My turn for a real beer, excellent local(ish) Wrexham Lager...distinctive taste, very nice. Good gig as well, Torture and the Desert Spiders were in support, "gloriously s***"...
 Zero percent beers. - Fursty Ferret
San Miguel 0.0 is good, as is Corona Zero. Not really had a bad Brewdog Alcohol Free beer either, and the current favourite is Adnams Ghost Ship 0.5.

I like the taste, not the alcohol so get through a lot. Can't stand the malty ones like Erdinger or Becks Blue.
Latest Forum Posts