Non-motoring > Curved Screen TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 11

Curved Screen TV - Robin O'Reliant
I bought myself a new TV after Christmas (43" LG), and noticed on looking round the various outlets that I didn't see a single set with a curved screen anywhere. The were all the rage a year or two ago, what happened?

Maybe if someone here has one they can shed some light on what they were like.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 10 Jan 23 at 18:56
 Curved Screen TV - zippy
My parents have one.

Meh. It's a novelty.
 Curved Screen TV - R.P.
I have a lovely Samsung one in the man cave. Superb picture. The curve makes no difference, you get used to it very quickly.
 Curved Screen TV - R.P.
Marginally better than my 2021 LG OLED set in some respects
 Curved Screen TV - zippy
>>...Samsung one...

Yes, that's what my parents have. It does have a nice picture, but we had to tweak some settings when we first got it because the motion of people on screen looked too smooth to be real - too glossy? It's fine now.

I'm spoilt my my 8k 75incher though.
 Curved Screen TV - bathtub tom
I recall seeing one and thought it may be useful in a small room, but like 3-D a fad.
 Curved Screen TV - Fursty Ferret
I have one of the earlier LG OLEDs with a curved screen. I like it - the curve is only slight and it sits well in a corner. Obviously the big drawback is that it can't be wall-mounted.

Would never have a Samsung LCD. They're notorious for rushing poor-quality untested overpriced tat to market* with an advertising flourish. You'll never get the colours right and unless you're looking at it head-on it's going to have a grey cast.

In Currys yesterday and the OLEDs (whether Sony, or LG, or Panasonic) were leagues better than the flashy Samsung LCDs.

* I kid you not, my Samsung washing machine has a very impressive OLED display on the front with the tiny drawback that it says "Recmonnded wash cycle complete" when the wash is over.
 Curved Screen TV - zippy
Be careful re OLED re LCD comparisons.

There is likely to be a huge price difference re OLED and standard LCD.

Also, QLED and OLED are very different technologies. OLED looks great in a perfect viewing environment.

I would have an OLED in my den but not in my lounge. They are just not bright enough and the QLED blasts OLED out of the water for picture brightness and that's on a 4 year old model.

(We tried both and the supplying company demoed an OLED at approx. £8k and the QLED at approx. £4k in our lounge and the installer had to agree that the cheaper QLED won hands down in our environment).

The new NEO QLEDs use even better technology.

Both of the technologies have pros and cons. The dark back of the store at Currys is not the place to decide and remember, they will make the TVs that they make the most commission on, look best.
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 11 Jan 23 at 12:41
 Curved Screen TV - Kevin
>..they will make the TVs that they make the most commission on, look best.

All the TVs that I looked at recently had a dedicated 'Store' mode in the Picture settings.
 Curved Screen TV - zippy
>> All the TVs that I looked at recently had a dedicated 'Store' mode in the
>> Picture settings.
>>

Next time you are in Currys have a look at the expensive TVs. They are all on a wall at eye level, the best position to judge picture because you are directly on line.

The cheaper models will be lower down on normal hight stands so you see the picture from an angle that doesn’t do them justice because few people watch a tv looking down from standing height, 1 foot away and they’re not designed for that viewing position.
 Curved Screen TV - Zero
TBF, the store doesn't have the space to show every TV at the ideal viewing angle.
 Curved Screen TV - Boxsterboy
We bought a Samsung curved screen a few years ago to replace a Sharp which the kids wanted in their playroom. The Samsung packed up after about 2 years(!) so the Sharp was dragged back into use. It must be about 12 years old now - positively ancient by modern tech terms but still gives sterling service.
Latest Forum Posts