Non-motoring > Spring Garden Jobs - Covering for Block Wall Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 3

Spring Garden Jobs - Covering for Block Wall - zippy
Before we moved in the neighbour built a horrible block wall on top of the exiting wall and didn't render it.

Basically the bottom of the wall is rendered and the top isn't. The render seems to be about 3 inches thick.

The wall is about 15 meters long and the non-rendered section is about 1.5 meters high.

I think the cost of rendering the wall and painting it, will be prohibitive.

Are there any paint products thick enough to cover the block and hide the fact that it is block that are long lasting - I want to avoid having to repaint it for 10 years!

Or are there alternative covers - I was thinking bamboo rolls nailed in to place?

Any ideas welcome.

Next house I buy will have no trees, a flat small garden and nice simple brick wall.

Job after this is to replace a 20m stretch of stone wall about 30cm high that some b****** stole at the front of our property and figure out how to attach security to it to deter them from doing it again (private road and frontage is too far away to run power for CCTV so thinking of using these: www.ant-supplies.uk/airsoft-external-parts/blank-cartridge-tripwire-alarms.html but would probably have armed police at my door :-D
 Spring Garden Jobs - Covering for Block Wall - martin aston
My house is part rendered and we had it repainted about ten years back with a good quality white masonry paint made by Sandtex. It’s lasted well but I had to repaint an edge section last year and the new bit is not too blatantly shining out so it’s not discoloured too badly. It wouldn’t be thick enough to disguise that a wall is block though.

Three inch rendering sounds excessively thick or is that a typo? Anyway you may be pleasantly surprised at the cost of rendering the new block. With no need for scaffolding it doesn’t sound a big job.

You could try planting something evergreen but not rampant. I’ve used Star Jasmine for long term cover that’s easy to keep trimmed. For a quick fix Cup and Saucer plant will cover a wall in one season but will die off with the first frost.

Whatever you do, if it’s a permanent change to the wall, you will need your neighbour’s agreement as it appears that they own it. I can’t see why they would object but people get very territorial when it comes to boundaries and their structures.

Finally, in my opinion, bamboo rolls look awful after a few months. I’d prefer unpainted block but each to his own.
Last edited by: martin aston on Tue 10 Jan 23 at 07:10
 Spring Garden Jobs - Covering for Block Wall - VxFan
>> The wall is about 15 meters long and the non-rendered section is about 1.5 meters
>> high.

Surprised Duncan's not seen this yet ;)
 Spring Garden Jobs - Covering for Block Wall - MD
Metres please.
Latest Forum Posts