Non-motoring > Silly Train Ticket Question Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 8

Silly Train Ticket Question - zippy
I am travelling to Orpington next week. The return ticket on the train is £30.80 return.

(I would normally drive but I am told to expect to have a drink whilst there.)

The same return ticket to London Charing Cross is £27.60 on the same line and same train and stops at Orpington on the way.

Will I be breaking any rules / laws if I save myself £3.20 and get off at Orpington?

Silly Train Ticket Question - tyrednemotional
...depends on the ticket type.

Many ticket types have always allowed for "break of journey", sometimes on the outward or return journey, sometimes on both.

An example of the Ts&Cs for Off-Peak/Super Off-Peak, for instance, is here: (see "break of journey).

www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46590.aspx

Note that, though break of journey is generally available, it may be restricted on certain tickets by means of a validity code.

Good luck in researching all that before purchase!

Note that, in the past when tickets were manually inspected, it was very easy to "pretend" that you'd done the complete journey, even if only going out and return to the nearer station. With automated ticket barriers, it might be somewhat more tricky. In the memorable past I have done a valid outward break of journey at an intermediate station (which involved going out and back in through automated barriers). I buttonholed a member of staff and was buzzed through the manual gate to make sure.
 Silly Train Ticket Question - Zero
You should be ok getting off at Orpington at the automated ticket barriers, they may not allow you in on the return tho. Which means talking to staff, who may or may not spot your validity code/destination, and if they do may or may not care.
 Silly Train Ticket Question - Fursty Ferret
I used to buy tickets from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and get off at York all the time. No one ever said anything. I assumed they were cheaper because of Scottish subsidies.
 Silly Train Ticket Question - Bromptonaut
>> I used to buy tickets from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and get off at York
>> all the time. No one ever said anything. I assumed they were cheaper because of
>> Scottish subsidies.

I'm not sure whether there was a Scottish subsidy or just market pricing to compete with the airlines.

A lot of those sort of tickets had conditions that prohibited leaving the train short of the ticketed destination or boarding after ticketed origin. I suspect, as Zero says, whether that was enforced depended on how (a) sharp eyed and (b) motivated barrier staff were.

I seem to remember somebody with a ticket to/from somewhere further north being prosecuted for attempting to either board or leave a train at Morpeth.
 Silly Train Ticket Question - Zero
You will be if you claim the full £30.80 on your expenses...............
 Silly Train Ticket Question - zippy
>> You will be if you claim the full £30.80 on your expenses...............
>>

Personal trip.

All business rail travel goes through a travel agent so there is no incentive to save.
 Silly Train Ticket Question - Ted

A slight tangent.....I know the system for split ticketing, you have to be able to get off at the mid journey station but you don't have to.

I bought a ticket at Manchester Victoria to Huddersfield return. It was only about £11. The very nice lady in the ticket office asked me if I had my bus pass and was it valid for trains and trams within the county. I confirmed. She said I'd need it to pass the barriers. I couldn't understand why.

When I was on the train I noticed that5 she'd booked me from Greenfield to Hudd and left me to use the pass as far as Greenfield. The reverse late, Hudd to Greenfield on Rail ticket then home on the pass. It cost me £6.00. Greenfield is the last station eastbound in the county.

The only thing was, the train, Liverpool to Newcastle TPE didn't stop at Greenfield either way ! I was unsure if the conductor would be ok but no comment from him. Split ticketing rules didn't seem to apply !

Ted
 Silly Train Ticket Question - Bromptonaut
>> The only thing was, the train, Liverpool to Newcastle TPE didn't stop at Greenfield either
>> way ! I was unsure if the conductor would be ok but no comment from
>> him. Split ticketing rules didn't seem to apply !

I think the rules for passes and season tickets are different to those for split tickets. The latter are a relatively recent thing from when fares were set by franchise area. It might have gone back as far as sectorisation in BR.

When I held a season ticket to either Milton Keynes or Northampton I could, if travelling after work from Euston to Chester, book a ticket from MK to Chester irrespective of whether the train actually stopped at MK. Living in Watford and having a Travelcard I think I could book at a slightly lower price from the Zone 6 boundary to longer distance destinations.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 8 Jan 23 at 13:25
Latest Forum Posts