Non-motoring > The Royal Family Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 59

The Royal Family - Zero
Some years back I went to a big family party paid for by the state (benefit fraud) where two brothers ended up fighting*

Who knew my east end roots had so much connection to the Royal family.

I would put this in the jokes post but a: its true, and b: its news topical

*one ended up being thrown in the Royal Albert dock, and the ole billl turned up
 The Royal Family - CGNorwich
Hasn’t everyone with a brother has a fight with them at some time. I had two brothers and we were all close together by age so growing up was a constant series of squabbles and sometimes fights.

Daily Express not interested in the serialisation of my forthcoming book though.

The Royal Family - Zero
And its pretty common for family wives to dislike one another.
 The Royal Family - Bromptonaut
>> And its pretty common for family wives to dislike one another.

Difficult and abrasive are words I've heard before.....
 The Royal Family - VxFan
Two of my cousins are brothers. Fell out years ago over money. They tried to be civil at their fathers funeral (my uncle), which lasted all of 5 minutes before arguing with each other again. Both were taken to one side by one of my other uncles and were told in no uncertain terms that if they carried on arguing, he'd bang both their heads together to try and knock some sense into the pair of them.
5 years later, and they've not spoken to each other.
 The Royal Family - Robin O'Reliant
The last time I met my brother was at a family funeral in 2007. We have no contact, have never got on and I have never met either of the two wives he collected during his life. His daughter must be about 28 now And the last of the two times I clapped eyes on her were at our mum's funeral twenty years ago.

I was always much closer to my cousins that to him. The only intimate contact we have had since we left school saw us both end up in A&E after a particularly vicious fight.
 The Royal Family - Manatee
I don't think I have ever fallen out with my brother, let alone come to violence.
 The Royal Family - zippy
Not friends with my brother.

We put up with each other.

He's going deaf and refuses to acknowledge it and so it is very difficult to be in his company when he talks as it sounds as if he's shouting at the top of his voice at you.
 The Royal Family - Zero
The more stuff that comes out, the worse Harry looks, its all becoming a bit of a self inflicted car crash. I mean no matter how bad they are, do you really trash your family in the public eye for cash?
 The Royal Family - zippy
>> The more stuff that comes out, the worse Harry looks, its all becoming a bit
>> of a self inflicted car crash.

It's a mess and the media love it. There doesn't appear to have been any personal filters in place on Harry's part.

>>I mean no matter how bad they are, do
>> you really trash your family in the public eye for cash?
>>

For £100m?
 The Royal Family - Duncan
Do you think Harry is a secret Scouser?
 The Royal Family - Zero
>> Do you think Harry is a secret Scouser?

Well lets just say he is clearly not a Windsor (OK Saxe-Coburg & Gotha)
 The Royal Family - henry k
>>The more stuff that comes out, the worse Harry looks, its all becoming a bit of a self inflicted car crash.
>>It's a mess and the media love it.
>> There doesn't appear to have been any personal filters in place on Harry's part.

Brain not in gear when opening his mouth and putting his words in print.
In his memoir, the Duke of Sussex describes his 25 kills as "chess pieces taken off the board"
He now has a target on his back. He will now need some better security as the location of his home is now also a target.
Two responses. One from our military and another from the Taliban
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64185176

"Taliban leader Anas Haqqani tweeted: "Mr Harry! The ones you killed were not chess pieces, they were humans; they had families who were waiting for their return..."

Oh dear it looks like he has opened a can of worms.
 The Royal Family - Zero

>> "Taliban leader Anas Haqqani tweeted: "Mr Harry! The ones you killed were not chess pieces,
>> they were humans; they had families who were waiting for their return..."

The female family members dont have a great deal to live for with hubby at home, lets be honest.
 The Royal Family - zippy
Family relationships are odd. As they say, you chose your friends, not your family.

My two kids, have sessions where they fight, but it's rare and over as if it didn't happen the next day.

They often go out together, even though they live almost 100 miles apart.

Mostly they're thick as thieves and when push comes to shove, both have travelled to opposite ends of the country to give comfort or help out when needed.
 The Royal Family - bathtub tom
Just heard the latest leak - he's claiming he got frostbite on his willy!

Anybody else see: Prince Andrew, the musical? One of the last numbers: You'll always need an Andrew. Didn't take long.
>> Just heard the latest leak - he's claiming he got frostbite on his willy!

Various combinations of season and altitude can make Afghanistan a very cold place.

Or was the injury acquired while losing his cherry in field?
 The Royal Family - tyrednemotional
..it certainly might account for all the leaking....
 The Royal Family - R.P.
Frostbite o his willy, "bell end" does actually spring to mind !
As the King might say, "oh dear, oh dear"

news.sky.com/story/prince-harry-biggest-revelations-from-his-new-book-spare-12780975

Terrible writer as well.
 The Royal Family - sooty123
I don't think there's many people that could get the taliban spokesman on the front page.
 The Royal Family - bathtub tom
He's going full Icke!

Reckons he had a lock of his mum's hair next to the bed that helped when Meg conceived (nothing to do with the frostbite then). She sang to the fishes in Scotchland and they sang back to her.

I need more popcorn.
 The Royal Family - Duncan
I really want less popcorn.

I don't want to know about this. Please make him go away.
 The Royal Family - legacylad
Did I read somewhere that he’d consulted a psychic to ‘speak’ to his mum ?

My O level English literature reminds me that Royals doing such doesn’t end well
 The Royal Family - John Boy
news.sky.com/video/prince-harry-needs-help-not-continuous-criticism-says-former-colonel-12781799
I have a lot of sympathy for Harry. If you are born into the hell hole that is the Royal Family and you are clearly not suited to the role (I wouldn't be) life must be absolutely miserable, either you grin and bear it or take the flak that comes with walking away.

However, either he is rather naive and a bit thick or whoever is advising him is an incompetent fool. The book and the TV stuff has done him no favours at all, apart from making him a terrorist target.
 The Royal Family - legacylad
Likewise, lots of sympathy for him, but leaving the Royal Family was never going to be easy.
He’s probably had lackeys pandering to him all his life, I bet he’s no idea of the real world, not his fault, but he’s not going to learn a trade and make his own way in life in CA, living in a decent sized gaff and automatically doing the household chores we all do on a daily basis.

Comes across as a thicko actually, which is very surprising as thickos can’t fly attack helicopters.
 The Royal Family - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Comes across as a thicko actually, which is very surprising as thickos can’t fly attack
>> helicopters.
>>

...they can go to Eton, though....

;-)
 The Royal Family - zippy
I wonder if he's hitting out at those he loves because he doesn't get any love back from them?

The Royal Family do appear to me, to be a cold lot.

Probably fell in to the arms of the first woman to show him any true feelings.
 The Royal Family - smokie
Didn't he move partly to get some privacy away from the intrusive press?

Did I read somewhere the book and related stuff are expected to net him £100m?

I'm afraid they lost any of my sympathy when they joined the media circus.
 The Royal Family - zippy
I think his argument was that his relatives were briefing the media against his wife which is why we had all of the stories about her eccentricities whilst they were living in London.

What's good for the goose...!
 The Royal Family - Zero
In my black and white world, I have concluded he is either a spoilt selfish little git, or has mental issues (PTSD?). I am leaning towards the former.
 The Royal Family - Lygonos
Why the focus on Harry?

It's pretty obvious he is one cog in a machine well past is use-by date filled with petty and self-centred egos.

Time for the whole pile to be reduced to a fancy mayoral position.
 The Royal Family - Runfer D'Hills
>> Time for the whole pile to be reduced to a fancy mayoral position.

I would tend to agree with that.

I can’t be the only person on this septic isle who simply doesn’t care what their relationships are, were, or are likely to be. I have no problem with their existence as a quaint hark back to past times but they hold no personal interest to me.
 The Royal Family - CGNorwich

>> I can’t be the only person on this septic isle who simply doesn’t care what
>> their relationships are, were, or are likely to be.

I agree. They’re not a patch on the Kardashians and I haven’t the time to follow both families.
 The Royal Family - Zero

>> It's pretty obvious he is one cog in a machine well past is use-by date
>> filled with petty and self-centred egos.
>>
>> Time for the whole pile to be reduced to a fancy mayoral position.

I blame your lot. Had they done the job properly we would have a Stuart lineage on the throne, and we would all be happy they were merely wasting the public purse on wine women and song.
>>we would all be happy they were merely wasting the public purse on wine women and song.

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to HRH Prince Andrew.
 The Royal Family - Zero
>> >>we would all be happy they were merely wasting the public purse on wine women
>> and song.
>>
>> I refer the Honourable Gentleman to HRH Prince Andrew.

He made a pretty poor job of it
 The Royal Family - Kevin
>Had they done the job properly we would have a Stuart lineage on the throne,..

They have their own Royle Family.
>> In my black and white world, I have concluded he is either a spoilt selfish
>> little git, or has mental issues (PTSD?). I am leaning towards the former.

The real world comes in many shades of grey or he could just be a spoilt git with PTSD.

Somewhere I've seen a piece written by another Afghanistan veteran who tends toward PTSD.

There's also a full quote of 1,000 or so words which give context to the bare quotes about numbers of Taliban killed and the chess pieces analogy. The latter is how they were taught to think...
So nothing to do with the £100m then?
>>The real world comes in many shades of grey or he could just be a spoilt git with PTSD.

He probably lacks the antennae to see himself as others see him. Possibly he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either. But wealth and position don't make a person immune either to PTSD or mental struggles in general. So perhaps we should be sympathetic.

Perhaps he also isn't listening to advice from people who care about him. He might well be struggling but the mass of people who worry about energy bills, the cost of food, looking after their families and keeping their jobs are not ready to listen to someone who need never have those kind of pressures seemingly whingeing about his situation.

We should also be mindful that the picture we see of him and the Duchess is the one painted by some very amoral people in the media who make their livings by pulling people down and frankly don't care about the hurt they cause.

>>
>>
>> We should also be mindful that the picture we see of him and the Duchess
>> is the one painted by some very amoral people in the media who make their
>> livings by pulling people down and frankly don't care about the hurt they cause.
>>
>>
Very true.

Once Mrs Sussex sued the Mail the press were gunning for them. Follow her all day waiting for the one moment she has a scowl on her face and print the picture next to one of a beaming, radiant Kate and her adorable kids.
 The Royal Family - Zero

>> There's also a full quote of 1,000 or so words which give context to the
>> bare quotes about numbers of Taliban killed and the chess pieces analogy. The latter is
>> how they were taught to think...

And they leave the army with a mantra of "what goes on in the army stays in the army".

Which TBF I guess doesn't aid PTSD recovery.
news.sky.com/story/prince-harrys-book-spare-is-fastest-selling-non-fiction-book-ever-12783843

Seems some are interested in what he has to say.
 The Royal Family - martin aston
This will include advance sales that people committed to. With everything already covered in the press following the publication in Spain last week there is nothing new to read. I expect it will soon be discounted further than the current 50% but even then will not feature in the charts for long.
 The Royal Family - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64231560

Think this is Harrys version of "That went well then"
 The Royal Family - neiltoo

>> Think this is Harrys version of "That went well then"
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64231560

Whilst I think Harry is one sandwich short of a picnic, and has been badly led by someone (!) i'm totally in agreement with his criticism of the press cherry picking quotes (and even misquoting) out of context.

If this is really what he says in the book, then the media are greatly at fault here.
But then...shouldn't he have expected that, with all the negative experience he says he's suffered?
 The Royal Family - Zero
I am going to make horrible claims about my family colleagues and friends for money, and get some ghost writer to make them more lurid & sellable, however I expect the press to make little of no comment"

Yeah right.

And Harry, dont forget the press swing makes the book more sellable. More dosh mate.
 The Royal Family - Terry
Some will believe the Harry revelations - sympathise with his predicament and evidence of all that is bad about traditional royal behaviour.

I think the "dirty washing in pubic" is a huge mistake which engenders no sympathy. He is a fool, possibly encouraged by the media and Megan. His assertions are completely unevidenced.

The sympathetic view is that the trauma of losing his mother at an early and and Afghan experiences have left him damaged emotionally. The alternative is a childish and unpleasant expression of anger and jealously made deliberately to hurt.

The question is what happens now. The Netflix revelations are last weeks news - irrelevant. If the book follows the same path in 4 weeks time it will be a forgotten rant of a saddo.

I think Harry needs help. Without it the next headline will be Harry dead as he realises his efforts have made no impact. The only winners may be Megan (distraught wife, sell another story) and the media.
IMO those who are pro royal will take the same line as you Terry whereas anti royals will believe all he says.

And to generalise I think that younger people will be more supportive of him than older people.
 The Royal Family - Terry
You are probably right.

The positive QE2 brand gives the UK a level of recognition and influence that other similar size nations cannot command. They have almost no democratic role. I have no great issue with inherited wealth and power (although accept some do).

Whether is lasts with younger generations is another matter.
Here James O'Brien reads the passage about killing Taliban. The tone of the press coverage is quite the opposite of that of the passage in the book..

twitter.com/i/status/1612409235286941696
Negligible interest in Spare but I certainly won't be looking to the meejah for a fair interpretation of whatever it contains.
 The Royal Family - martin aston
Interesting, but I didn’t hear anything significant, in terms of facts, here that I hadn’t heard in the mainstream coverage. Opinion pieces are a different matter and no doubt some of them were biased and selective.
However context means nothing to the Taliban or other extremists. All they will exploit are the quotes that suit their agenda.
>> However context means nothing to the Taliban or other extremists. All they will exploit are
>> the quotes that suit their agenda.

So far as the Taliban are concerned he'd already got a cross on his back.

Context I think is that media reports referred to him boasting about his kills. The actual quote from the book is quite different. It was his job and the Army intentionally train people to 'other' the enemy, hence the chess pieces quote.
 The Royal Family - Zero
Not the way the military see it

www.forces.net/royals/prince-harry/colonel-tim-collins-prince-harry-has-turned-against-his-other-family-military

Most other veterans dont talk about it (unless of course its to make money via a book)

for interest,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpdeNcH1H8A
An amusing article i bet he kept a straight face throughout, pot kettle black. Collins would sell his granny to get in the papers, rent a gob.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 12 Jan 23 at 13:25
Intelligent men trying to rationalise/normalise killing people who are generally not directly threatening you, but who you have been told to kill.

Totally normal behaviour.
Latest Forum Posts