Non-motoring > Home Haircuts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 18

Home Haircuts - Duncan
Anyone doing this?

During Covid, in a moment of - I don't know what - I bought 2 home hair clippers. The second one was bought because of temporary insanity, is the most likely reason. In fact I wanted a cordless/rechargeable model, but I had used the first one before I realised that it was mains only.

I gave myself another haircut yesterday. Number 3 on the back and sides, 5 over the top. Just the guardless clippers on the nape (is that the right word?) of the neck. Quite pleased with it. Lady Duncan thinks I have my hair too short. I do have a fine head of hair, if I say it myself.

I am saving myself £14 (£12 + £2 tip) a month.
 Home Haircuts - legacylad
Off to my barber this morning. I grow my hair long...maximum of 3 cuts a year...last cut was late August. £9, plus loyalty card of a free cut after 10 visits.
Never tip.
Friends who use the same barber pay £7 for a number 2 on side, 4 on top....reason I know Is they commented on the length of my hair in the pub yesterday.
 Home Haircuts - smokie
Been doing it for maybe 10 years now, except about an 8 months gap maybe 5 years back when I thought I'd like to go hippy, but it really didn't suit.

I used to go to a lady barber (a barber rather than a hairdresser) then when she shut up shop she used to do home cuts, which I availed myself of, until she then moved away from the area.

I thought I'd try it myself before trying one of the pricey hairdressers in town, but found I preferred it to the regular trip to the barbers, even putting aside the cost saving, and the result is just as good, as I use more or less the same process that she did.

I just use number 5 all over.
 Home Haircuts - martin aston
I bought clippers during the first lockdown. Mrs A does it for me…..strangely my offers to reciprocate are declined.
I am no stranger to home barbering. As a lad when a haircut was about a shilling my dad used to pay my brother and I sixpence each to let him cut our hair. He eventually got quite good but the first few were a bit rough.
 Home Haircuts - Bromptonaut
I think there's a thread about this already.

At the start of lockdown when the barbers all shut down I was already due a haircut.

Bought clippers - Wahl rechargeable - from Amazon.

Initially used 4 on sides and 5 on top, then 4 all over.

Recently gone to 3 all over.
 Home Haircuts - bathtub tom
I started when covid first reared its head and I wasn't happy my barber wouldn't wear a mask. It must be hell for someone in a job like that.
 Home Haircuts - sooty123
I alternate between home cut and an actual barbers. The barbers charge £14 but are pretty good.
 Home Haircuts - Ted

The Dragon has done my hair for years. We have a mains clipper, Lidl I think. She gives me an all over with a no. 2 whilst I try to goose her. Usually ends in a gentle slap, but it keeps me off the register ! Patio is the preferred salon so the ickle birdies can clear up the hair for their nests. Recycling at it's finest !

Ted
 Home Haircuts - Manatee
Haven't been to the hairdresser's since it shut for the first lockdown. Don't even know whether it's reopened. I hack at it with some clippers myself. Not the best job but nobody seems to have noticed. I have unruly hair anyway.
 Home Haircuts - Dog
I pull my 3 hairs back and tie 'em up with a band. When the 3 hairs get too long, I chop 'em orf with a mighty-fine American Oster hair clipper.

I haven't been to a barbers for over 20 years, and it shows.

:o)
 Home Haircuts - Robin O'Reliant
>> Haven't been to the hairdresser's since it shut for the first lockdown.
>>

Same here. The Wahl clippers have more than paid for themselves and it saves sitting in a queue for ages.
 Home Haircuts - BiggerBadderDave
When I was a teenager I used to love going to the hairdresser. I used to lie my arms on the outer arms of the chair and enjoy as the hairdresser press her groin against me as she worked.

Those were the good times.

Now I cut my own :(
 Home Haircuts - Timeonmyhands
Mine used to do that, unfortunately his name was Nigel.
 Home Haircuts - Zero
Braun here. 4 on top, 3 on the sides and back, tapered 1 to 3 round the ears. Philips for the Beard, three down the sides, jaw and up the sides of the mouth, 2 over the lip and 5 on the chin.
 Home Haircuts - zippy
I do my own beard - 1 all round - designer stubble! :-)

Hair - I can't cut paper straight so wouldn't dare try to cut my own hair.

My barbers didn't reopen after lockdown which upset me and I haven't been able to find an alternative that I like yet :-(

The most recent one I tried recently charged me £9 rather than £12 - OAP rate the Turkish gentleman said! WTF! Not going back there.
 Home Haircuts - Dave
I started with a number 3 all over when I started thinning. Got fed up paying the barber for a 2 minute job so got some Wahls and did it myself. Worked my way down to number 1 comb, then lost the comb so now have a number 0 (no comb). It chatters a bit on the scull though without a comb!
 Home Haircuts - bathtub tom
>> When I was a teenager I used to love going to the hairdresser. I used
>> to lie my arms on the outer arms of the chair and enjoy as the
>> hairdresser press her groin against me as she worked.

I used to have a young, female optician that did that as she closely examined my eyes!!!!
She moved on and it wasn't as much fun after that.
 Home Haircuts - tyrednemotional
...but your eyesight improved....
 Home Haircuts - Kevin
>I used to have a young, female optician that did that as she closely examined my eyes!!!!

Should have gone to Specsavers - her name was William.
Latest Forum Posts