Non-motoring > Garden Shed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 11

Garden Shed - MD
A customer requires a garden shed. We will form the concrete base etc. However, every shed I've ever seen, usually delivered and erected by a firm from the midlands or somewhere has been a pile of pants. Has anyone bought one that they think is fine and would last 10-15 years without issue. I'm obviously well versed in price points. Thanks...
 Garden Shed - legacylad
Good luck with that.
A friends daughter, unbeknown to him, had one delivered in flat pack form. He was called in to put it together. Biggest pile of poo ever. And hugely expensive for what it was.
Years ago in my trade a supplier built me a custom made pentagonal shed. Delivered flat packed. Bolted together by yours truly. Treated annually with spirit based wood preserver. Or creosote from a local farmer. 20+ years later still almost new.
Best I can suggest is a retired DIY woodworking enthusiast...advertise locally. The timber won’t be cheap ( I built 4 custom made log stores this year, even using pallets as a base) but far better than the online stuff.
 Garden Shed - MD
Thanks to all for your replies. I'm costing it to build it in a bomb proof manner, i.e in kiln dried timber. OSB 3 sterling board. With all of the panels fibreglassed in two layers of 450gm glass and resin, including the underside of the OSB floor. It's coming out at ridiculous money. I thought I'd ask the question cos everything shed wise I'd ever seen has been carp.
 Garden Shed - Dog
Ears a phew for ewe Mr builder sir:

www.truro-portable-buildings.co.uk/

justfir.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2

www.southern-timber.co.uk/garden-products/garden-sheds
 Garden Shed - T junction
Not sure what part of the country you’re in but these people www.hodgsontimberbuildings.co.uk/ have a good name locally but not cheap. We got a chicken shed 20 years ago and still going strong.
 Garden Shed - smokie
I got the Georgian Pent (8' x 6', looks exactly as top picture) with bench from these people www.ajsectional.com/ 2 1/2 years ago. I bought it through an agent at a local garden centre and it was a bit over £800 fitted (to my pre-existing base).

I recall it was up in about 30 minutes from when they arrived. It is pretty solid and SWMBO is happy with it therefore so am I. We did get teh upgraded floor free for some reason I forget now.

I'd recommend it.
 Garden Shed - Kevin
I bought one of these about 15 yrs ago for Mrs K to keep her gardening kit in.

www.elbecgardenbuildings.co.uk/10-x-6-299m-x-179m-shire-caldey-professional-pent-shed/p2775

I upgraded the panels to log style and increased the eaves height for a few quid extra.
I painted the underside of the floor with bitumin paint and the roof under the roofing felt before I assembled it. The screws they supplied to hold the panels together were quite beefy but were impossible to tighten enough to get rid of little gaps so I used some M6 stainless threaded rod, nuts and penny washers and bolted the panels together tighter than a tight thing. The threaded rod was left about 6" proud on one side and I've mounted trellises vertically and across the top so she could grow climbing roses up them to partially disguise it.

I've also kitted it out with power and a folding workbench for her.

Well made and with a coat of fence paint every few years it's still good.

Recommended.
 Garden Shed - Biggles
Our steel shed still seems to be in a good condition after 10 years. It is a Biohort, available e.g. here
www.spearheadbikes.co.uk/collections/biohort
 Garden Shed - Robin O'Reliant
>> Our steel shed still seems to be in a good condition after 10 years. It
>> is a Biohort, available e.g. here
>> www.spearheadbikes.co.uk/collections/biohort
>>

Don't you get condensation problems with a steel shed?
 Garden Shed - bathtub tom
I've seen a few from this place that were very sturdy: www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dunster+house

Surprised to find the garden ofice in the place my daughter just bought came from there too, eighty miles away.
 Garden Shed - henry k
I inherited a garden shed with this house when we moved in over 40 years ago.
it is a simple 5 x 7 made of thin cedar planks and a non apex roof.
It was moved intact many years ago and is still surviving quite well.
I have replaced the cheap felting on the roof about every 10 years and it sometimes gets a coat of fence preservative.
The only modification I have done is to fit an internal second skin of 3 ply to the whole wall containing the door opening. This stopped the structure starting to lean.
A simple very cheap change but well worth it.
 Garden Shed - Falkirk Bairn
Where I live there is a chap that puts flyers through new build doors.
He is listed as "Alec the Shed man" on my phone

You order, he builds, erects and takes away the old one - £500 10 years ago 10'x8' .

A son decided against a wooden shed and bought a plastic one from Costco - lasted 6 months - first storm of that winter and it was "gone with the wind" - panels were retrieved but all the fixings were knackered. Wooden shed bought which was another local one man band .

Ask around friends - there might be a shed building one-man band locally who does a good job.
Latest Forum Posts