Non-motoring > b***** Dishwasher Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 29

b***** Dishwasher - sherlock47
It knows that we have we are having 8 to a deferred Xmas Lunch on Boxing Day. And the heating element (or Thermostat ) gives up.

Paper plates and a single piece of cutlery for each guest?

A wonder who can deliver and fit before the 26th?

b***** Dishwasher - sooty123
Paper plates and a single piece of cutlery for each guest?
>>
>>

Washing up liquid and a sponge?
 b***** Dishwasher - smokie
My garage fridge/freezer packed up last week. Luckily SWMBO noticed before we lost too much - it was all in the process of thawing so we had a cook-up.

So we ordered one on the Thursday afternoon from Marks Electrical - good price and much quicker availability/delivery than AO. Delivery was supposed to be Saturday.

The only prob was the van broke down on delivery day, within about 2 stops of us. It was rescheduled to the Sunday, they said at the same time (13:00 - 15:00). However I got mails at 06:30 and 06:45 on a Sunday to say delivery was imminent. Needless to say, I wasn't reading mail at that time. SWMBO woke me at 07:10 to say there was someone at the door...
 b***** Dishwasher - martin aston
We had dinner for seven today at my daughter’s lovely but basically equipped house. The unwashed dishes are stacked round the kitchen. My dishwasher says she will do them in the morning.
 b***** Dishwasher - Fursty Ferret
Lazy option but just connect it to your hot water supply instead of the cold. Run the kitchen hot tap first to get hot water in the pipe, dishwashers are efficient.
 b***** Dishwasher - Runfer D'Hills
Is your real surname “McGyver” ?
;-)
FF

Why hadn't I thought of that! Great idea. i will have to check that i can get under the sink to put in, (or thought of that last time I replumbed the kichen?) a take off connector - working with 1.5 arms complicates things.

I have just discovered that it is still just within the JL extended warranty. All I have to do is get the maintenance people to answer the phone.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 27 Dec 22 at 09:27
 b***** Dishwasher - bathtub tom
>>I have just discovered that it is still just within the JL extended warranty. All I have to do is >>get the maintenance people to answer the phone.

I had that same problem. JL refused to accept any responsibility or help in any way other than telling me to phone Electrolux. Electrolux didn't answer and when you get the voicemail option after half-an-hour, they don't respond.
JL told me my contract wasn't with them, but with Electrolux, despite me buying the damned machine in JL, paying JL and having JL on the machine. It wasn't until it went wrong I discovered it was actually an Electrolux machine.
It'll be a long time before I buy anything else at JL.
 b***** Dishwasher - Falkirk Bairn
>>JL told me my contract wasn't with them ............

Your contract is with JL - the fact that the machine/warranty etc etc is with Electrolux is their problem NOT yours. If Electrolux sub contract the work and Electrolux do not answer the phone then that is up to JL to resolve.

JL either fix it or replace it or money back - the JL extended warranty is part of the package you bought.

Section 75 of Consumer Credit Act makes them & the CC company liable if JL fails to perform their obligations/ (assumes you paid by CC or HP). If you paid cash then JL is your only route.
 b***** Dishwasher - zippy
Had the same problem with JL for the lads laptop when it's charger failed after a couple of months.

JL point blank refused to help. Even getting through to the UK helpdesk.

It was purchased on interest free credit and the credit company didn't want to know either.

I now refuse to shop at JL and this costs them - for example - this Christmas, for some branded products that I would have normally purchased from JL, perfumes for the Mrs and the daughter and bits for mum and dad would have been purchased from them but were not.
 b***** Dishwasher - Ted

I had JL problems when the backlight in the lounge set star4ted making thescreen darker. I wasn't on extended warranty and they refused liability.

I quoted them sec 75, fit for purpose, etc and they caved in and collected it. I understand LG fitted the cheapest " backlight parts " they could buy and told JL to fit a better part. I think they might have as no trouble since.

Fortunately my monitor is a 32 inch Bravia so that was pressed into service in the lounge and I reverted back to my old monitor.

Ted
 b***** Dishwasher - CGNorwich
Sorry you are wrong. The extended warranty is with Electrolux and it they with whom the contract exists. It is in effect an insurance policy. It would be difficult to maintain that John Lewis have any duty to repair an electrical appliance that is over two years old.

Just suppose, for example that you were to extend the warranty every year. Do you think John Lewis would still be liable for breakdowns after 10 years? Obviously no.
 b***** Dishwasher - Bromptonaut
>> Sorry you are wrong. The extended warranty is with Electrolux and it they with whom
>> the contract exists. It is in effect an insurance policy. It would be difficult to
>> maintain that John Lewis have any duty to repair an electrical appliance that is over
>> two years old.

That would surely depend on the terms of the extended warranty contract. I had one for my dishwasher with Currys. I paid for it annually to Currys. They in turn contracted the actual repair to the local agent for the manufacturer, Zanussi.

Agree though that the usefulness of consumer legislation declines with the passage of time.
The point I am trying to make is that in effect any insurance you may have under a service contract or extended guarantee is entirely separate from any rights you have under consumer legislation. For the latter you have to prove that the shop sold you something that was not what you could reasonably expect in terms of performance or reliability. The fact that something breaks down after a couple of years doesn’t automatically mean that the shop has any liability or duty to pay for a repair. For a household appliance over two years old I would say that it would be difficult to substantiate.

Any claim under an extended warranty is entirely dependant on the terms an conditions of the warranty and is a contract between you and the company providing the warrant. It has nothing to do with the original retailer.
>> Your contract is with JL - the fact that the machine/warranty etc etc is with
>> Electrolux is their problem NOT yours. If Electrolux sub contract the work and Electrolux do
>> not answer the phone then that is up to JL to resolve.
>>
>> JL either fix it or replace it or money back - the JL extended warranty
>> is part of the package you bought.
>>
>> Section 75 of Consumer Credit Act makes them & the CC company liable if JL
>> fails to perform their obligations/ (assumes you paid by CC or HP). If you paid
>> cash then JL is your only route.

The DW was purchased new from JL, with a three year JL warranty. The reason I purchased it was I thought if JL are prepared to guarantee it for three years then it should have a useful life. I had no idea it was an Electrolux machine and would probably not purchased it if I knew, having had previous bad experiences of their products.

When I couldn't contact Electrolux, I went back to JL who insisted my contract was with Electrolux and wouldn't talk with me. I knew my contract was with JL, but when you've a broken DW and want it repaired ASAP, you don't waste more time by trying to deal with with idiots or credit card companies (that would have been the final resort).

Like Zippy, I now refuse to deal with JL, didn't darken their doorstep this Christmas and can't see myself doing so again in the future.
 b***** Dishwasher - Kevin
You would need to run it on an 'eco' or 'quick' setting depending on the temp of your hot water supply. Our dishwasher's 'normal' setting wants the water at 65deg.
I still have not got Electrolux to respond. Despite their recorded callback service promising 24hr response if you are not prepared to hold on for greater than 30 minutes. 'Warranty line' times of opening and recorded messages are in conflict, and do not get me started on the voice 'Artificial Idiot ' which repeatedly tells me i have " not called from this number before" or refuses to recognise my postcode.

I wonder if feeding it with hot water invalidates the warranty? Gas heated water is probably cheaper than using the heater in the machine - maybe a blessing in disguise? But it means taking out the waste disposal unit to get at the pipework.
If you reconnect it to the cold before the engineer arrives I doubt they could tell you'd used hot fill.
Have you how little water modern ones use?
I'd be tempted to try a rinse-and-hold, followed by a quick wash having dumped a kettle full of boiling water topped up with water from the hot tap.
My impression with our Zannussi is that its the rinses that do a lot of the work.
 b***** Dishwasher - smokie
A lot of Mrs Hinch's cleaning tips include a dishwasher tab, so I think they must be really strong (obv with a bit of moisture!)
>> A lot of Mrs Hinch's cleaning tips include a dishwasher tab, so I think they
>> must be really strong (obv with a bit of moisture!)

Strong Peroxide bleaching action and plenty of abrasive - crockery is sandblasted in the dishwasher.
 b***** Dishwasher - Manatee
I severely burnt something to the bottom of a moderately expensive pan a few months ago. No amount of brillo padding would remove the scorch marks from the stainless steel.

I put a dishwasher pill in in it, with an inch or so of boiled water, and left it overnight. It had cleaned itself by morning.
>> I put a dishwasher pill in in it, with an inch or so of boiled
>> water, and left it overnight. It had cleaned itself by morning.

We've a few pans with stuff burned to the underneath. Might give letting them stand in a similar solution a go.
I used that when we lived in a hardwater area on cups. They would end up with a brown deposit that was difficult to shift.
>> I used that when we lived in a hardwater area on cups. They would end
>> up with a brown deposit that was difficult to shift.

Astonish do a cup cleaner that's very good for that or cleaning the filter from out Chatsford teapot - one of those that keeps loose leaves inside the pot so no need for a strainer.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 29 Dec 22 at 16:27
Astonish do a cup cleaner that's very good for that or cleaning the filter from
>> out Chatsford teapot - one of those that keeps loose leaves inside the pot so
>> no need for a strainer.
>>

I've got one but still use t bags as well. Washing powder works but not quite as well at cleaning.
The best thing for cleaning tannin stains from teapots is Rubarb leaves. Just boil up and leave to soak. You will have to wait until spring for the leaves though! Dont drink the stuff and rinse thoroughly as it's poisonous as it contains high levels of oxalic acid :-)
 b***** Dishwasher - Ted

My neighbour and bestie, John used dishwasher powder....no capsules then....to wash his two Princess wedding limos Won't mention that they were on the same plates !

I had a white Range Rover then, it came up diamond white.

Ted
Dishwasher detergent's great for removing oil from a cooling system after a head gasket failure. Flush the system out, then pop a tablet or two in and run it for a bit, getting it hot. Drain and flush.
Dishwasher's are also brilliant at cleaning wheel trims (remember them?), but don't let the missus find out!

Should this be in motoring?
Latest Forum Posts