Non-motoring > Tesco Fun and Games Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 37

Tesco Fun and Games - zippy
I had to nip in to Tesco.

A lady was self scanning as she went around the store.

I had noticed another woman take some stuff out of her trolley after the first woman had scanned them on the hand held scanner then hurry away (eggs and a bottle of something).

I did "harrumph" to bring the first ladies attention to what was going on and she chased the second woman.

Fisty-cuffs ensued.
 Tesco Fun and Games - Manatee
Sounds as if the thief wasn't very bright. Did she think it was marked as 'paid for' in some way do you think?
 Tesco Fun and Games - Dog
>> another woman take some stuff out of her trolley after the first woman had scanned them on the hand held scanner then hurry away

Does scanning an item deactivate the bar code?
 Tesco Fun and Games - Bromptonaut
>> Does scanning an item deactivate the bar code?

While an intelligent barcode is, I suppose, possible those we have now are simply printed with ink. IIRC they've been around for 40+ years.
I did think that the first woman would probably pay for the product that she didn't have.

The second woman would also have to pay for them when she got to the till - so I didn't get it unless she was trying to shoplift.

The eggs I understood because the first lady had basically put the last box in to her trolley.
 Tesco Fun and Games - VxFan
I've seen the reverse happen, where someone has put expensive items of meat and the like in someone else's trolley following an argument/fight over reduced food.
 Tesco Fun and Games - Terry
Self scanning systems that stores operate rely upon trust, unless the product has a chip or tag attached - eg: alcohol - which needs to be removed by store staff. I assume the store does some form of credit check before giving access to self scanning.

The reasons are simple - staff cost money. Stores believe additional shoplifting losses are less than the costs saved. I may not be so confident - but it is their business.

Self scanning at the till = no checkout operators. Card only payment = reduced cash handling costs and theft risks.

Soon only those with poor credit records, criminal records, living in poor postcodes will actually use a cashier. Socially questionable or undesirable?.

If one were to scan a (say) 500g packet of flour, then put 5x100g of smoked salmon in the trolley the system could not identify the fraud. Supermarkets must be aware of this risk and no doubt do some sort of random checks and are aware who the likely offenders are.
>> If one were to scan a (say) 500g packet of flour, then put 5x100g of
>> smoked salmon in the trolley the system could not identify the fraud. Supermarkets must be
>> aware of this risk and no doubt do some sort of random checks and are
>> aware who the likely offenders are.

The self scan in Waitrose doesn't even weigh the stuff as you add it to the bagging area.

All supermarkets have pretty serious CCTV around the self scan tills and presumably some means of watching scan as you shop. The latter requires registration, usually linked to a loyalty card.

Using a self scan till just requires a valid payment card.

What I have noticed recently is that where booze or similar has a security tag they don't remove it until you've actually had the payment confirmed.

Sainsbury were in the news recently for requiring customers to scan their receipt in order to open an exit gate around the self scan tills. It was not clear that they'd updated the tills so as to remove the no receipt option...

We've seen a similar set up in France, either LeClerc or Carrefour.
I've seen the news re stores not letting you leave until you show a receipt.

There will need to be some form of emergency override in case of fire etc.

Would be interesting to see the situation where a receipt was mashed up (they often are by self service tills) or even not produced (happened to me because the previous receipts had all jammed up) and a stroppy security guard not letting the customer leave.

The store would likely have to settle a big bill for false imprisonment.
 Tesco Fun and Games - Zero

>> The store would likely have to settle a big bill for false imprisonment.
>
Except of course you are not being imprisoned. They will simply check the computer record of the till you used and the contents of your basket.
>>Except of course….

We’re dealing with security guards here.

I’ve seen them search people who have refused a search, and they have no power to do so, only the police do.
 Tesco Fun and Games - CGNorwich
I’ve seen them search people who have refused a search,

Really? How did the manage to do that. Did a couple of assistants hold them down?
>> We’re dealing with security guards here.

>> I’ve seen them search people who have refused a search, and they have no power
>> to do so, only the police do.

On private property, security guards have the right to search you. In the property, leaving the property, and on the way in.

Have you never been to a gig?

And lets face it, if you refuse a search, you have something to hide
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 22 Dec 22 at 19:20
 Tesco Fun and Games - tyrednemotional
>>
>> On private property, security guards have the right to search you. In the property, leaving
>> the property, and on the way in.
>>
>> Have you never been to a gig?
>>

...au contraire. Under UK law very few people other than police officers* have the right to search a person. Even then, that right is quite constrained by PACE, etc.

In the example you use, a security guard could certainly request a search, but if it were carried out without consent it would be an offence (civil and/or criminal, depending on the circumstances).

Failing to consent might well however, depending on conditions of entry, lead to a legal right to bar or eject a person.

*a limited number of aligned roles in areas such as Immigration, Customs and Excise, etc. have similar rights to the police, but these are not extended to all roles in those organisations.
>> On private property, security guards have the right to search you. In the property, leaving
>> the property, and on the way in.
>> Have you never been to a gig?
>> And lets face it, if you refuse a search, you have something to hide

They don’t . Terms of entry may demand a search but you can decline it. They will of course not allow you in.

This if you’ve got nothing to hide thing is rubbish. I hope you won’t mind the State putting a CCTV camera in your living room. After all, you have nothing to hide!

You may have very private things in your bag or wallet that are not stolen. I wouldn’t want someone rifling through personal effects, you don’t know where they’ve been!
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Dec 22 at 11:04
 Tesco Fun and Games - CGNorwich
How did the security guards you saw perform the forced search?

>> This if you’ve got nothing to hide thing is rubbish. I hope you won’t mind
>> the State putting a CCTV camera in your living room. After all, you have nothing
>> to hide!

We are not all as unrationaly paranoid as you. one wonders how you survive in society at times.
>> We are not all as unrationaly paranoid as you. one wonders how you survive in
>> society at times.

Have you, your wife and children ever been woken up in the middle of the night and had your house searched and computer and documents taken by police and dragged down to the police station and kept for hours when you didn't do anything wrong, just tried to stop your company going bankrupt?

No, I didn't think so.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Dec 22 at 20:23
>> No, I didn't think so.

Wrong. My parents front door was battered down by HM C&E in the 80s under laws and powers issued to them HUNDREDS of years ago.

(yes it was my fault)

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 23 Dec 22 at 12:27
 Tesco Fun and Games - neiltoo
>> All supermarkets have pretty serious CCTV.......

Funnily enough, I noticed this afternoon that Tesco havs cameras over every self service till.

responding to someone lower down, I think that in Tesco anyway, you need to load your credit card into the handset.

They do sometimes check peoples trollies ( ooer matron!) against the receipt, there's a desk for that within the compound.

I rarely use them. Tesco recently re-equipped, and the touch screens are very unresponsive.

8o)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Dec 22 at 11:05

>> responding to someone lower down, I think that in Tesco anyway, you need to load
>> your credit card into the handset.

Loyalty card, not credit card

Tesco Fun and Games - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> I assume the store does some form of credit check before giving access to self
>> scanning.
>>
>>
>>
I've never come cross that, anyone can use them.
>> >> I assume the store does some form of credit check before giving access to
>> self
>> >> scanning.

No they dont. Unless you use the hand held scanners where you need a loyalty card
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 22 Dec 22 at 16:38
 Tesco Fun and Games - bathtub tom
Just got back from C&C at Testbury. The fuel pumps were rammed, no diesel at any pump and precious little E10. Could be a few discontented travellers over the next few days.
Just returned from the local Tesco Superstore. Had intended to top up the Fabia but there seemed to be a massive snarl up of traffic round the fuel pumps, to the point that normal egress was affected.

Left via the back exit and will sort out the Fabia another time. If needs be I can fill at the new 'services' on M1/J16.
 Tesco Fun and Games - legacylad
I popped into Tesco Skipton yesterday. Cleared their shelves, two rows actually, of Oakham Citra 500ml. 4 bottles for £6.
Filled my rucsac.
Makes a change to Logs.
Then caught the bus home
 Tesco Fun and Games - Ted

I was in Tescos last week and couldn't find any mixed boxes of bottled bitter so I bought a pack of 8 John Smith's in cans to put me on. I haven't bpought canned beer for ages being brainwashed by all these fancy names.

I had a can whilst watching Man City knock the Scousers out of the league cup tonight and was pleasantly surprised to see how different it was to bottled. Not fizzy with a creamy head that lasted most of the way down the glass. Only 3.6 ABV. A bit like our beloved Boddingtons which changed when production moved from Strangeways brewery and it's spring water.

I bought another dozen today plus a bottle of Cinzano Bianco...as a long drink with lemonade it's very refreshing.

Thats my Chrimbo sorted !

Ted
 Tesco Fun and Games - legacylad
Each to their own, but for an excellent canned beer try to get hold of Saltaire Brewery ‘Velocity’.

A remarkably good hoppy session IPA at 4.1%, with citrus notes. Amazingly good for a canned beer.
 Tesco Fun and Games - Manatee
My sister in law came to stay at the weekend and brought me a selection of Yorkshire beer. That's the sort of sister in law you want.

Abbeydale (Sheffield) Daily Bread bitter 3.8%
Abbeydale Moonshine IPA 4.3%
Ossett Yon Lager 4%
Magicrock (Huddersfield) Dark Arts Chocolate Orange Stout 6%
Roosters (Harrogate) Baby Faced Assassin IPA 6.1%
Great Newsome (Hull) Comma 4.3%

The box is printed Blacker Hall Farm Shop, Wakefield, which looks as if it might be worth a visit when in the vicinity, judging by the website. A mile from M1 J39, more inviting than Woolley Edge services.

To be broached on Christmas day I think.
>> Just got back from C&C at Testbury. The fuel pumps were rammed, no diesel at
>> any pump and precious little E10. Could be a few discontented travellers over the next
>> few days.

Fuel supplies have been patchy round here for a few days, combination of logistics issues and high demand caused by public transport issues.
 Tesco Fun and Games - smokie
A local FB group was moaning about shortages here yesterday but I was out and about today and didn't see any sign of shortages or excessive queueing.

Eggs, now that's another matter...
>> A local FB group was moaning about shortages here yesterday but I was out and
>> about today and didn't see any sign of shortages or excessive queueing.

Tesco yesterday had no pocket packs of tissues. Not expected until 3rd Jan.
 Tesco Fun and Games - tyrednemotional
...that's a blow....

(or possibly not)
Snot a problem
 Tesco Fun and Games - smokie
You could always bogey on down to another supermarket.
thats nothing to sniff at
 Tesco Fun and Games - bathtub tom
>> Tesco yesterday had no pocket packs of tissues. Not expected until 3rd Jan.

My local LIDL (yes, I drop in on my way back from 'spoons) had no tissues for weeks, although they've been back in stock for a while, dishwasher tablets too and few eggs (understandable).

SWMBO ordered two dozen eggs, by mistake, from Tesco a couple of weeks ago, just when they were becoming scarce. They were delivered, we ate omelettes for a few days!
 Tesco Fun and Games - Ted

Milkman delivers our eggys twice a week...6 on Tuesday, 6 on Thursday. SWM is the eggmeister here, I don't particularly like them. i made a box to go on the front step as the birds were dipping into the milk and the Magpies were stabbing through the egg cartons and sucking the innards out of the eggs.
No lemonade at the local Tesco Express but one of the 3 local Co-ops had plenty....55p for 2 litres against 17p in Lidl and £1.25 for Schweppes.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts