Non-motoring > After a short illness... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 22

After a short illness... - BiggerBadderDave
Lethal, this short illness isn't it?

Terry Hall, the lankiest streak of pee ever to front one of the coolest bands, The Specials has died (after a short illness). A bit of a shocker and very sad. I like a bit of Ska.

We lost Jet Black (The Stranglers) last week, equally devastating but not a surprise. He retired a few years ago with poor health.

Talking about ska, I think about Buster Bloodvessel (Bad Manners), he was a hefty guy. Enormous. I lost a bet a few years ago, I was convinced he was dead but he wasn't and still isn't. But according to Wiki, he 'fell seriously ill' in Italy, but recovered.

I wouldn't want to be seriously ill or in poor health but this short illness is the one to avoid.
 After a short illness... - Boxsterboy
And he was only 63!!

Sad loss - their songs were the sound of my youth. And he was a skilled song-writer for others too in later years.
 After a short illness... - Dog
I'm more 60s early 70s music? I've heard of the Specials, but can't think of one of their songs.

Terry "was diagnosed as manic depressive following a suicide attempt in 2004"

I'll check out his music ... when I get a phone line installed!!
 After a short illness... - legacylad
I liked The Specials and Fun Boy Three. A part of my younger days.

This ‘short illness’ syndrome is always a worry, but probably best get it over with. Sooner rather than later.
My mother’s elder sister, 97yo, has been in a care home in excess of 4 years. Ironically, she used to stay with her eldest daughter in Canada 5 months of the year unless her late eighties. A country which has legal medically assisted euthanasia, or so I believe.

How’s that for thread drift ?
 After a short illness... - tyrednemotional
>>
>> This ‘short illness’ syndrome is always a worry, but probably best get it over with.
>>

...indeed; the prospect of going after "a short illness" presumably gets more attractive in proportion to the number of years already under your belt...
>>I'll check out his music ... when I get a phone line installed!!

Well, I connected to neighbs Wi-Fi and listened to Ghost Town, Too Much Too Young, and Gangsters.

Course, I remember them well now - Grreat stuff.
 After a short illness... - zippy
>> And he was only 63!!
>>
>> Sad loss - their songs were the sound of my youth.

Same sentiment here.

RIP
 After a short illness... - CGNorwich
"after a short illness" is often used as a euphemism for an overdose or suicide.
>> "after a short illness" is often used as a euphemism for an overdose or suicide.
>>

I had no idea.

The problem with euphemisms is that it's difficult to tell when they are being used or not. He may have had a real short illness.
 After a short illness... - Bromptonaut
>> "after a short illness" is often used as a euphemism for an overdose or suicide.

Another here who never knew that. Thought it was the opposite of 'a long illness bravely fought'.
 After a short illness... - neiltoo
I think the euphemisms for suicide are "sudden" or "unexpected" with no further details.
>> I think the euphemisms for suicide are "sudden" or "unexpected" with no further details.

No suspicious circumstances??
 After a short illness... - sooty123
I always think its journo speak for, we've haven't a clue how they died.
>> I always think its journo speak for, we've haven't a clue how they died.

They got sick and it killed them in days. Could be pneumonia or a cancer that only became evident at a late stage.
 After a short illness... - smokie
Seems it was a real short illness after all

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64050002
 After a short illness... - Bobby
Another one to avoid is to be the declared Worlds oldest man or woman. Usually results in your demise….
 After a short illness... - Manatee
>> Another one to avoid is to be the declared Worlds oldest man or woman. Usually
>> results in your demise….

Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy that one. I was thinking it's a bit like "it'll be in the last place you look" when you lose something. But have you noticed that whilst that's true, it often happens that you eventually find it exactly where you first thought it was and hadn't looked hard enough?
Our friend the 'short illness' has seen off Maggie's press spokesman, Bernard Ingham:

www.theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/24/bernard-ingham-press-secretary-margaret-thatcher-dies-aged-90

He was interviewed on the Telly a few months ago on some sort of retrospective on the eighties.

Was convinced he'd died years ago and that it was an old repeat until he was juxtaposed with a member of a more recent generation.
 After a short illness... - Falkirk Bairn
Mystic Meg - National Lottery adverts nearly 30 years ago - died aged 80

I wonder if she saw that coming?

news.sky.com/story/mystic-meg-one-of-britains-most-famous-astrologers-dies-aged-80-12829359
Possibly having a threesome with Colin Fry and Derek Acorah.
 After a short illness... - Robin O'Reliant
Kelvin MacKenzie is said to have fired the Sun's astrologer by stating in a letter, "As you will already be aware..."
 After a short illness... - CGNorwich
Apparently due to unforeseen circumstances .
Topol, fell of the roof two days ago.

Now playing the fiddle elsewhere.

Saw him play the Fiddler in a small rural theatre in the 80s.

Also liked him in For Your Eyes Only

RIP
Latest Forum Posts