Non-motoring > LV insurance. Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 19

LV insurance. - Zero
I know they fairly recently changed from being a mutual to a commercial outfit bought by some other outfit, and expected a rise in premiums but........

I / we have 4 policies with them

Cars(2) House/contents, pet 1 so we get a multi policy discount.

First to renew was House, where they popped in with a 60% increase, so I did a price comparison (where a quote from LV was in the last some 25% cheaper than the renewal they had quoted me!!!) So, I went elsewhere for 50% less - Aviva, who aint cheap.

I could see what was going to happen here when the car renewal popped in with a 10% increase - this before I told them of my newly acquired SP50 qualification.

Sooo Off we go to the meerkat, and I have a quote, from Aviva, with my SP50 medal, 25% cheaper than LV.

You can now tell whats going to happen with the other car and pet renewals. Tho I might try and stick with them with the pet, they handled my 5k vet claim very well.

LV insurance. - zippy
I believe that they are still a mutual. There was a vote and the members rejected the derisory offer that they were made.

I am really surprised Hartigan lasted so long.
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 26 Oct 22 at 09:41
 LV insurance. - Falkirk Bairn
LV are still in the Life Assurance business BUT they sold off the house, car etc etc to Allianz (German Insurer)

Like all insurance companies some point they chase new business and quote "keen prices" then a matter of months/years later they decide that want higher premiums and shun Bigger risk sectors and hike premiums or all 3 in one go.

I was with Esure from 2001 to 2016/17 for cars, house & contents (no claims in that time). Bumped along with small increases then out of nowhere came big rises of 40- 60% of car and house. I walked to Aviva & L&G - as did a son who was with them for cars and house.

Still paying around what I was paying 5 years ago to E-sure - say +15% Looked at quotes in July/Aug for house and car and E-sure are quoting similar prices to my LV for car & house.

I will however never go back to Esure - likewise BA/Currys/Arnold Clark+ others who all gave very poor service or tried to rip me off.
 LV insurance. - martin aston
I am with LV for the car, just renewing for my 10th year. I will pay £250 up from £240 last year. That includes enhanced personal cover, commuting, legal cover, hire car protected NCB etc. Take that lot off and the base premium would only be about £170. Not bad.

The only niggles are that my union says I can get 5% discount but the LV help desk says I have to apply as a new customer and jump through all the online hoops. I can’t be bothered. Their other weakness is their online account. Having registered I can’t see much I can actually do online. For example Mrs A is retiring next month and telling them that requires a call and, I suspect, a charge.
 LV insurance. - Zero
And right on Q, the pet insurance* renewal has come in from LV

25% increase in premium, so off we go to the meerkat and bingo I can save 30% over the LV quote, INCLUDING LV!!!

Thieving gits. I'm off them big time, The last renewal for the other car is due in December, its leaving LV just as a matter of principal. Thats 4 policies with them gone in 3 months.

*minefield, the variances in cover make your mind boggle. It a market the unaware punter can get seriously caught out in when the need to invoke the policy occurs.
 LV insurance. - smokie
I thought there was legislation to stop them offering incentives to new customers
 LV insurance. - zippy
>> I thought there was legislation to stop them offering incentives to new customers
>>

They get around it buy changing the terms of the new policy slightly so that it is not quite the same product.

Scummy behaviour.
 LV insurance. - Zero
The legislation only says that you have to be warned, so the renewal quote says "you could get a discount as a new customer" or words to that effect

Either way thats two renewals where they have tried to stiff me
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 27 Oct 22 at 09:48
 LV insurance. - CGNorwich
It’s not scummy . It’s just a market working how markets work. Quite honestly if people aren’t prepared the effort of checking their instance on a comparison website once a year they need to accept that they won’t necessarily be getting the best deal.

People want it both ways. The low prices that result from the UK having a hugely competitive market and the assumption that the are getting the best price available without checking.

My daughter lives in Canada. The motor instance market in the province is hugely regulated and bureaucratic, Effectively they have to renew with the state.Insurance company There is no real competition. Despite her living in a quiet rural area and owning a small car her premiums are nearly three times what I am paying here. I prefer our system.
 LV insurance. - Zero

>> I prefer our system.

So do I, Its very satisfying to kick someone scummy in the nuts and take a few grand of revenue elsewhere. Long may their risk profile bots make their profits tumble.
 LV insurance. - zippy
>> make their profits tumble…

I have a strong personal dislike of Mr Hartigan. Although he’s gone now, IMHO it’s good riddance!
Didn’t you have a large claim for your dog recently? Perhaps the LV premium is a more accurate assessment of the risk than that of their competitors.
 LV insurance. - Zero
>> Didn’t you have a large claim for your dog recently? Perhaps the LV premium is
>> a more accurate assessment of the risk than that of their competitors.

Yes and no. 1/ it was a freak incident not related to location, general health or breed, 2/Its not a genetic, congenital medical condition likely to return,

But most of all, it has no relation to House or car insurance both of which they are trying to stiff me on.

Pet insurance is probably the most complicated insurance for insurer and purchaser around. Both in risk profile and variances of cover available
 LV insurance. - smokie
Coincidentally my Direct Line house & contents insurance renewal has just come.

£252 from £202 last year. That's 25%. No claims this year and I also have a feeling that I'm no longer eligible for some of the freebie travel bolt-ons but that's by the by as I take out separate insurance anyway.

Now I am pretty sure that maybe 10 years ago I was paying £500 or more, in my naivety, but I will def be checking the Meerkat and also calling DL to try to get it nearer to last year's figure. DL usually manage to find a discount they'd overlooked applying...

EDIT: after a 4 minute wait to get through and a 3 minute chat they have "managed to get it down" to within £3 of last year, so I accepted it.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 27 Oct 22 at 12:22
 LV insurance. - bathtub tom
I was with Frizzels for many years, when they gave excellent support to the CSMA (civil service motoring association). Frizzels were then taken over by LV and both became the 'LV appreciation society'.
I left!
LV always means Luncheon Voucher to me
 LV insurance. - Dog
Louis Vuitton for me :)
 LV insurance. - VxFan
More recently by the sounds of it,

Let's Vacate.
 LV insurance. - R.P.
They're dumping Motorcycle insurance nextr year. B****** to them
 LV insurance. - martin aston
Mrs Aston retired yesterday. This meant telling LV that her occupation needed changed on my policy. This had to be done by phone but was free and also gained a £14 refund on my recently renewed policy.
Over to Churchill for her own policy. They charged £26 for the change, no part refund.
LV still do some things well.
Latest Forum Posts