Non-motoring > Pure Elan II radio - sticky radio Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 8

Pure Elan II radio - sticky radio - R.P.
This is a lovely sounding radio, lives in my little study, superb sounding little thing. The only trouble is that the case and handle have become incredibly sticky and quite frankly horrible to touch.

Did some Googling found on Mumsnet that Tea Tree oil is the only way of cleaning. Somewhat sceptical, I considered it worth a punt. Got the stuff today and lo and behold it cleaned it up, substantially !
 Pure Elan II radio - sticky radio - Fullchat
I'm assuming that the handle and case are rubber? I have a small pair of rubber encased binoculars which for most of their life have sat in a drawer and have done the same. Right sticky mess. Talc sort of did the trick but not that good. Tea Tree oil it is then.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 25 Oct 22 at 00:44
 Pure Elan II radio - sticky radio - CGNorwich
There’s nothing magic about Tea tree oil. It the alcohol it contains. Use rubbing alcohol or surgical spirit instead and save yourself some money. The stickiness is caused by the vulcanisation of the rubber breaking down with age.
 Pure Elan II radio - sticky radio - Zero

>> vulcanisation of the rubber breaking down with age.

That Spock fella and his fetishes has a lot to answer for.
 Pure Elan II radio - sticky radio - VxFan
>> The only trouble is that the case and handle have become incredibly sticky and quite frankly horrible to touch.

I have a USB power bank that has just started doing this, and previously an LED torch too. In both cases I gave them a good wiping over with some Iso prop alcohol. The power bank colour is now a lovely shade of silver after removing the faded sticky red colour from it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 25 Oct 22 at 11:38
Thanks ! :-)
 Pure Elan II radio - sticky radio - Fullchat
Thought after this thread I'd revisit the sticky binos.

Isopropyl didn't cut it. On closer examination the sticky stuff appears like glue. Reach for the WD40 and a piece of old towel. Some rubbing and off it comes then finished with the Isopropyl. Job done.
The finish underneath actually feels and looks like plastic rather than rubber.
 Pure Elan II radio - sticky radio - CGNorwich
When it come to solvents there are three liquids which between them will dissolve most anything you come across in a domestic situation.

1 Water - dissolves more things than any other liquid

2 Alcohol

3 Acetone (aka nail varnish remover)
Update

Radio is still unsticky and the Tea Oil has left a most pleasant aroma in the cupboard...
Latest Forum Posts