Non-motoring > Old phones Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 7

Old phones - MD
Has anyone recycled them (for money)? If so where please.
 Old phones - smokie
No, and only fairly new old phones will have much value. CEX might offer a value. uk.webuy.com/
 Old phones - Falkirk Bairn
I have sold the odd old phone to CEX - a Blackberry 5/6 years ago & an I-phone 2 years ago almost to the day! My warranty on the new I-phone bought in 2020 expired last week.

Blackberry was £40 and the i-phone £85 (£75 for the phone and £10 for the wired earphones which were unused)
 Old phones - CGNorwich
Donate them to Oxfam.

www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/more-ways-to-donate/recycle-with-us/
 Old phones - MD
I renovated an Oxfam shop in a prominent Somerset town over 25 years ago. They spent 5k on colour coded racking. The hooray henry’s that were their admin team would appear now and again. Shuffle around and then go off to lunch. Apparently they give 2% to charity. They like all the big charities are just a con. I wouldn’t give anything to any of them.
 Old phones - CGNorwich
You may chose to believe that. No doubt Oxfam are not perfect but at least they are doing something to alleviate the terrible suffering of many.

As for your 2% figure the actual figures are that for every 1 euro donated to Oxfam, m 70 cents are directly invested in humanitarian work and development programs.

I’m sure however the will get by without your old phone.
 Old phones - tyrednemotional
...the truth is in there somewhere...

In common with many charities, Oxfam would appear to run its commercial activities under the separate auspices of various different companies, which donate the resulting profits (if any) to the overarching charity.

There is a massive difference between the proportion of donations (in money) given to organisations which is ultimately used for their charitable purposes (I have no reason to question the 70% figure above) and the proportion of turnover or gross profit that the arms-length commercial entities pass to the mothership.

In Oxfam's case, it would appear to be considerably less than the 70% mark; indeed, in the last two years for which results have been posted, some of the entities appear to have made a significant loss after costs and administration (Covid affected, of course - possibly 5% of turnover in normal years).

Reinforcing, this practice is not peculiar to Oxfam, but common in the charity sector.
 Old phones - CGNorwich
Well of course Oxfam shops dont make a 70% profit on donated goods but Charity shops are a very successful way of raising money for charities. Whatever profit they make is passed to the charity concerned. A useful way to turning otherwise discarded goods to good use i think.
Latest Forum Posts