Non-motoring > Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 14
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 74

Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 14 - VxFan

Ongoing debate.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Mar 23 at 10:34
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - zippy
Felt I had the flu yesterday. (Actually felt really rough.)

Got up this morning and felt very dizzy and "weak".

Took a covid lateral flow test this morning and it's positive :-(.

Breathing is laboured at the mo. If it gets worse might have to call the quack.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - CGNorwich
Don’t think your GP can do much.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - bathtub tom
Depends on circumstances. SWMBO was given anti-virals.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 7 Oct 22 at 10:15
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Rudedog
Yes if you are in a vulnerable category then antivirals could be prescribed.

Yes I understand they are prescribing those for highest risk category. Otherwise its pretty much a couple of paracetamols and time.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Lygonos
>>Don't think your GP can do much

Thanks for that!

Having worked in Covid Assessment Hubs through the pandemic "difficulty in breathing" is the most important symptom to report as far as I'm concerned.

Headache? Boring

Cough? Boring

Short of breath doing SFA? Needs seen.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - smokie
I'm not really surprised, it has never gone away and numbers are rising here and around the world, with anotehr variant.

I gather a number of trusts are now mandating masks in all areas.

This video was well received first time around for help with breathing.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBkGDIeQwXo

Get well soon!
Out of interest what action would a GP take if a COVID sufferer rang to report that their breathing was laboured?

My guess is that they would say if it gets worse call an ambulance. Is there anything else they can offer?
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - James Loveless
"... what action would a GP take if a COVID sufferer rang to report that their breathing was laboured?"

That's more or less what happened last year to a youngish (40) and fit friend of mine, though I don't know if his wife phoned NHS 111, or a GP, or whatever.

It was noticed that his breathing was laboured - but more importantly, they had a blood-oxygen monitor and could see that he was struggling. He ended up in a covid hospital ward for a few days, fortunately recovering quickly.
Last edited by: James Loveless on Fri 7 Oct 22 at 16:41
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Lygonos
>>Out of interest what action would a GP take if a COVID sufferer rang to report that their breathing was laboured?

Same as we do with any acute undifferentiated (undiagnosed) condition: assess, examine and advise.

My experience of Covid patients who sought advice at least in wave 1 & 2 was they were either (a) fine but not enjoying symptoms, or (b) actually much more unwell than they thought they were.

The current Omicron-y flavour seems much less likely to cause the pneumonitis and pulmonary emboli of the Delta and earlier variants.

Assume Zippy is ok - bit concerned he hasn't replied yet!

Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Dog
GWS.
Yeo our numbers have never really gone away but they are going up now...

In my Trust they have gone against the NHS guidance and kept mask wearing in all clinical areas.

I would be surprised if they go back to 'advising' them to be worn in the corridors.

Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - James Loveless
In the hospital I took my wife to yesterday for a scan it was required that a mask was worn everywhere.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Ted

Our local hospital has masks all the time rule. I only go to visit Audiology when something goes wrong with my ear trumpet but everyone, including victims, is masked up.

It's a pain...literally.... when you have two hearing aids and spectacles !

Ted
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Zero
>> In the hospital I took my wife to yesterday for a scan it was required
>> that a mask was worn everywhere.

Yeah, had to wear one for the first time in ages when I went to my pelvic floor clinic. COVID was expected to shoot up after the mass royal funeral gatherings
Just saying that the official Govt NHS policy is that masks now don't have to be worn in any areas, that was dripped during BJ's time.

Many Trusts are implementing local policies to bring them back in clinical areas, we have BIG issues with many visitors (and some consultants!) who quote the NHS guidance and decline to wear them.

Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - legacylad
COVID was expected to shoot up after the mass royal funeral
>> gatherings

I’d never considered that. As I spent most of the day sanding my mums front door, putting on 3 coats of fancy preserver, mowing my lawn, and only coming into contact with 2 friends late afternoon sat on his patio avoiding all things ‘royal’ whilst double dipping crisps n nuts and getting sloshed Covid wasn’t a consideration.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 7 Oct 22 at 22:14
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Fullchat
I spent last Sunday following Mrs FC around the London Marathon route. Packed underground, DLR and spectators. Fingers crossed I seem to have escaped. Jab 4 yesterday.

Greenwich Cutty Sark. Walked under the Thames to the Isle of Dogs, DLR from Island Garden to Limehouse and DLR to Tower Hill. And I only actually saw her at Tower Hill. Oh well, the weather was nice. :)
>>Walked under the Thames to the Isle of Dogs

Brings back mammaries of my best friend Danny and I - out every day in that area, usually up to no good!

Did your wife complete the course okay, FC?
Yes 4hr 21min Dog.

She said it was going to be her last London Marathon so she just enjoyed the sights. Did her first in 1990.

That's amazing FC. How old is she, if you don't mind me asking?

I like to keep fit with walking, plus I play with weights 3 times per week. I used to run over London Bridge and back over Blackfriars Br. when we lived next to the Tate Modern, but running a marathon I'd either have a MI or do some damage to my hips/knees etc. That's my excuse anyway :)
Thanks. I'll pass that on. Shes 65 Dog. OAP next year. :/

Only Marathon shes not done of the 'Big 6' is Tokyo.
Ah, there's chronological age and physiological age. Mrs FC and I are physiologically 21.

:o}
I did the bag carrying :)
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Robin O'Reliant
I had the flu jab today. We have to phone up on Monday to book a Covid shot for Wednesday or Thursday.
I gather the XBB variant is taking off in Singapore and elsewhere quite big time and is likely to be a a fast mover. Also BQ.1.1 is doing the rounds, allegedly the BA5 boosters may not provide sufficiently broad protection against infection. They are both variants of Omicron
had my Covid Booster and flu jab last week
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - VxFan
>> had my Covid Booster and flu jab last week

Same here. Had 6 Covid jabs now. I must qualify for a free toaster or something like that soon.
Shame they don't do Green Shield stamps eh? www.youtube.com/watch?v=trTbCr49Dw4
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - bathtub tom
I got a little, square, sticky badge saying : "I've had my autumn covid booster".
>> I got a little, square, sticky badge saying : "I've had my autumn covid booster".

They were giving away chupa chups lollipops to the children being vaccinated. I was told I was too old to have one ;(
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Manatee
>>They were giving away chupa chups lollipops

Wrapper designed by Salvador Dali.

Probably a lot of people know that.
They were giving away chupa chups lollipops to the children being vaccinated. I was told I was too old to have one ;(

Age discrimination I call it :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 11 Oct 22 at 14:47
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - tyrednemotional
>> I must qualify for a free toaster or something like that soon.
>>

...your pincushion is in the post...
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Clk Sec
>> >> had my Covid Booster and flu jab last week
>>
>> Same here. Had 6 Covid jabs now.

We had our Covid Boosters last week, too. And we've only managed to have a total of 5 jabs each so far - which I assumed was the maximum available.

Flu jabs tomorrow at a local pharmacy.

>> we've only managed to have a total of 5 jabs each so far - which I assumed was the maximum available.

I get an invite every 3 months. Most people I know have only had 3 or 4 covid jabs.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Oct 22 at 11:06
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Robin O'Reliant
Just had the Moderna Jab, fingers crossed that there is no reaction. I had a mild one after the first AZ, a rough day after the second and ok last year when I got the Pfizer.
amp.theguardian.com/science/2022/jan/18/nocebo-effect-two-thirds-of-covid-jab-reactions-not-caused-by-vaccine-study-suggests
I had the Moderna jab through work two weeks ago, most definitely could feel that this was different to all of the others that were Pfizer especially at the jab site which has gone very red and scabbed over bit like my TB scar.

Wish I had waited a week as our Trust now offers a joice of vaccine brand so I think I would have taken Pfizer again.
Why Pfizer rather than Moderna? I thought Moderna was supposed to cover more variants
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - Clk Sec
>> I thought Moderna was supposed to cover more variants

That's my understanding, and that's what we had a couple of weeks ago.
I had the Moderna this time, and this one had less "## side effects" than previous jabs.

## No tiredness, and arm only slightly tender for a couple of days at the injection site.

First two were the AstraZeneca, then the following three jabs were Pfizer.

From what I recall, the AstraZeneca wasn't too bad, although my arm ached for over a week afterwards. The Pfizer jabs made me feel exhausted for several weeks. I've heard the same from others who have had the Pfizer jab.
Never had any reaction whatsoever to any COVID, Flu or multiple other vaccinations. Not allergic to anything either and can eat pretty much anything.
I had the 4th jab a week ago.

As far as reactions go I'm not sure. This is the third time I have felt slightly under the weather.
Tired, very slightly flu like symptoms, gum pain and itchy eyes (bit like hayfever). Ive done a lateral flow test and it comes back clear.
Had 4 of various types, no reactions, other than a sore arm wich is usual for most things intra muscular.

Had my 4th on Monday. Haven't a clue worrit woz. I've never had a moment of pain or reaction to any of them. We're tough up North !

Ted
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 13 - tyrednemotional
>> Haven't a clue worrit woz.

...I think you might find that was your rickets jab,,,,

Nah... We used to dream of rickets....all we got was impetigo !

Ted
 Oakeshott's publication - Boxsterboy
In the light of Oakeshott’s publication of ‘confidential’ messages from Hancock, is Oakeshott stupid for ending her career (unless that was her aim), or is Hancock clever for undermining the upcoming Covid enquiry which is bound to be critical of him?
Personally, I’m just clad that Larry avoided the chop!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Mar 23 at 10:36
 Oakeshott's publication - bathtub tom
I wonder what he did to upset her so much to publish?
Hell hath no fury etc.
 Oakeshott's publication - tyrednemotional
...it might be interesting to ask ChatGPT which of Hancock or Oakeshott would be seen as the most reliable witness...
 Oakeshott's publication - Zero
Well Initially I thought it was going to nail him for failing to test the old going into care homes.

Then she comes on Radio 4 and says she did it because lockdowns were a political conspiracy to control the people.

So there we go, Nutter in full flow gives him a defence.

...she was "enTiced" to do it.... ;-)
 Oakeshott's publication - smokie
She'd signed and broke an NDA, what will happen about that? I presume the sanction are defined in the NDA?
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 2 Mar 23 at 10:47
Who Is Oakshot?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64821983

WTF was he thinking employing her?
 Oakeshott's publication - Bromptonaut
>> She'd signed and broke an NDA, what will happen about that? I presume the sanction
>> are defined in the NDA?

Legal blogger David Allen Green has set out some thoughts on the NDA and the possibility of a public interest defence.

davidallengreen.com/

>> davidallengreen.com/

Is it of public interest when

a: the detail has been supplied to a public enquiry that will publish to the public later.
b: some of the detail supplied and published is of a personal nature (ie his sex life and affairs)

At the end of the day NDA's are not worth the paper they are printed on .
...there's an awful lot of waffle in that, and conjecture based on a complete lack of any detail of the particular NDA in this case.

About the only pertinent thing that it states is that, regardless of any agreement, you can't put the cat back in the bag.

It was obvious from the off that the "public interest" card was going to be played if there was any kick-back, the phrase was incorporated in the very first release, but I'm with Z on this.

There is a Statutory Public Inquiry in place examining the matters to which the information directly relates. Either the information has/will be shared with that Inquiry, or it has been withheld.

If it has been/will be shared, selectively leaking part of it is wilful, and one questions the motive (frankly, the Telegraph is trying to shoehorn it into its "Lockdown Conspiracy" narrative, against which, at least IMO, it adds little or no support. In fact, if the Inquiry has the information, this action might be seen as prejudicial (and given the legal status of the Inquiry, I wonder if it could be deemed contempt)).

If it has been withheld, then there certainly is a "Public Interest" in disclosure, but in its whole to the Inquiry, not in edited form to the front page of the Telegraph.

The Telegraph seems to want to put this in the same context as its Commons expenses exposure - it isn't, by a long way.

I used to take the Telegraph, all UK newspapers have steadily gone downhill, but the Telegraph more than most, and it's now a contemptible rag.
 Oakeshott's publication - Boxsterboy
>> I used to take the Telegraph, all UK newspapers have steadily gone downhill, but the
>> Telegraph more than most, and it's now a contemptible rag.
>>

Oh, it's not just me then!
 Oakeshott's publication - Duncan
>> >> I used to take the Telegraph, all UK newspapers have steadily gone downhill, but
>> the
>> >> Telegraph more than most, and it's now a contemptible rag.
>> >>
>>
>> Oh, it's not just me then!
>>

For some time, my wife and I considered cancelling our subscription to the Telegraph. Her response was along the lines that, if I wanted to continue eating and breathing, I would let the subscription stand.

But, I wore her down. The subscription was cancelled about 3/4 months ago. We now buy it on Saturdays and Wednesdays.

Why did I cancel? Well, as a Tory, I did not like its viewpoint.
 Oakeshott's publication - Robin O'Reliant
All or most of us must be former Telegraph readers, having come from the HJ site.

The only thing worth reading in the paper now is Matt. The rest of it is now just a Daily Mail for people who have better grammar.
...it's good for playing "Woke Bingo", though. ;-)

How many times can they shoehorn the word "woke" into a front-page headline. Hardly a day goes by, but funnily enough, not today.
 Oakeshott's publication - Terry
Typical media behaviour these days - ignore the NDA that had been signed, base an article on a single email completely out of context, etc.

Oakeshott apparently believes lockdowns were wrong - either a complete nutter or a reasonable proposition depending on your POV. Personally I would go with the former! She certainly lacks integrity.

Public interest is a doubtful defence as all the data has been provided to the public enquiry. Whether the enquiry reports in a reasonable timeframe is another issue - public enquiries seem to last decades where months would be more acceptable.
 Oakeshott's publication - sooty123
news.sky.com/story/who-says-all-theories-for-covid-origin-remain-on-table-as-lab-leak-theory-gains-traction-12824769

Oakeshott's publication - henry k
There was a report/item saying that all the initial reports of Covid infections were clustered closely around the wet market and none near the lab some miles away.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-57268111

At the end of the day, the crossover/first infection has not been discovered. hence the various theories.
 After all this time - smokie
I've finally managed to catch Covid!!

It's pretty pointless trying to establish where I caught it but we had a day in Bath last week, primarily to watch I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue being recorded, but also eating and drinking in pubs twice and general mingling so, given the state of some of Bath's residents, and also the state of it's public conveniences, I'm happy that's all I might have come back with!! I was quite surprised, my recollection of Bath was that it was a nice place.

Anyway, I felt knackered on Friday, better after a long sleep but tested positive yesterday morning, but today I feel mostly fine. But I'm isolating in my office as SWMBO is due to be holidaying abroad later this week with a mate.

I suppose my injections must be wearing off.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 14 May 23 at 10:40
 After all this time - James Loveless
"I suppose my injections must be wearing off."

Possibly said in jest. However, it's a popular misconception that the sole purpose of vaccination is to prevent infection. It also helps to prevent the seriousness of an infection that you may pick up in spite of vaccination.

To judge from my second covid infection, which resulted in an ambulance and paramedics attending and a discussion about whether I was to go to hospital or not, I thought it was just as well I was up to date with vaccination, as probably things would otherwise have been even more serious.
Last edited by: James Loveless on Sun 14 May 23 at 13:20
 After all this time - smokie
... or not, who knows?

I *think* I also believe they will cause a less severe reaction, and having had all my eligible jabs, for sure this is the first time I've got it, but no-one really knows how bad their infection would have been without. The more recent variants have been proven to be less mild to all.

I am firmly pro vaccine and always have been, but for no good reason I can think of other than trusting those who know more than I do. I still have no reason to change that view.

OTOH I imagine their effect must wane over time. I'm assuming that as those who are smarter than me have decreed another dose for older/more vulnerable.
 After all this time - Manatee
I'm certainly pro-vaccines in general, but I think there's still some uncertainty around Covid. Part of the risk comes from the patient's own immune response causing inflammation AIUI. There are anecdotal reports of successive Covid infections being more severe. Certainly my second was worse than my first, although it didn't last as long.

The nature of vaccines is to ensure a higher immune response.

Of course this is all complicated by the different mutations.

Thankfully they have a much better idea of what treatments work now.
 After all this time - VxFan
>> I suppose my injections must be wearing off.

Had my 6th booster on Friday. Nurse was a bit fierce with the needle, I almost shouted out "one hundred and eighty" when she stabbed it in my arm.
 After all this time - James Loveless
Technically, only the last four of your injections will be described as "boosters", the first two not - they were part of the initial covid vaccination scheme.

Like you, I've had six injections for covid, the most recent being on 18th April this year, when I received VidPrevyn Beta (Sanofi), which I'd never heard of. It was certainly more painful than any of the others, which was explained by the nurse as the result of the stuff having been in the fridge and still cold. I'm not convinced.

Unlike what happened after last September's booster, there were no after-effects. I was hoping it might give the boot to the long covid I've been dealing with for over a year, but no such luck.
Last edited by: James Loveless on Tue 16 May 23 at 11:03
 After all this time - neiltoo
Mrs Too and I just had our latest boosters, no5 for her, 6 for me at a walk in pharmacy in Ashton-under-Lyne. six queued in front of us. Processed and done within ten minutes. No pain at all.

8o)
 After all this time - Bobby
My missus can now walk about the patients rooms in the hospice she works, without wearing a mask.
Guidance changed as from today I think.
Latest Forum Posts