Non-motoring > Recovery shoes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 18

Recovery shoes - legacylad
Now got a date for my hip job. Late November,
I’ve read that for a few weeks post op tying shoe laces could be problematic...the only non shoe laced shoes I own are flip flops, ski boots and rafting sandals.
Looks like I’ll have to buy a pair of these slip on things....any recommendations, though I’ll probably buy some Hoka recovery shoes...they are my ‘go to’ brand of trail shoe but not particularly smart.

As if I care. Just something to hobble to the pub in.
 Recovery shoes - Aretas
I had a hip replaced 7 weeks ago. For the first 6 weeks I was not allowed to bend at the hip more than 90 degrees, making putting socks and shoes on awkward. Get slip-ons and a shoe horn plus soft-top socks (HJ do them). You need 1 or 2 "grabbers" for when you drop things. Also useful for pulling trousers up!
If you are tall I recommend you raise your favourite chair by 2-3 inches before you go in. DIY ain't possible when you first get home.
Do the recommended exercises. I found an improvement every day, albeit very small.
Was not allowed to drive until I had seen the surgeon at 6 weeks.
I used to live on paracetamol. Not had any since op.
All the best.
 Recovery shoes - Manatee
Crocs!
>> Crocs!
>>
Never. Ever. Jeez H.
Thanks Aretas....
I’ve used ‘gentle grip’ socks for over a decade after a particularly nasty bout of cellulitis which affected my lower leg. It looked like an elephants leg. But bright red. And hurt. A lot.

I’ve got grabbers x 2.
Bought an upright chair with arms
Bed is suitably high
Exercises already ongoing at my usual gym in Spain. Not a chore for me. Or any red blooded male.
Aiming to ski late season...April. Mountain walk in Spain May....Costa Blanca Mtn Walkers season ends last Wednesday in May.
Plenty of objectives...which is what the surgeon recommended.
 Recovery shoes - Zero
Deffo crocks
 Recovery shoes - Fullchat
This may sound a bit (a lot) lazy but my training/ walking shoes can be slid into with the laces fastened. Not overly tight but I can wear the all day .
 Recovery shoes - tyrednemotional
...patently practice differs by trust (and of course again if going private).

SWMBO was supplied with, support stockings (to be worn until first follow-up at c6 weeks, though the consultant suggested they could be removed and washed overnight) she would never have managed these by herself, long shoe-horn, a picker and a "sock-aid" (she considered the latter indispensible).

Additionally, two raised toilet seats and a set of low steps with a handrail (for a slightly raised shower).

The shoe-lace thing didn't come into play because of my presence.

By way of encouragement, and I may already have posted this - despite breaking her arm in the interim (pot off today) on our recent visit to the Continent she was up to around 14 miles a day, and we were only 12 weeks post-op. She can give you a few years, as well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a similar outcome for you.
 Recovery shoes - DeeW
Get some big curly laces from Amazon. They come in all colours. Sort them now so you get the tension right before you have to use them.
Socks are more difficult so you need someone to put them on for you until you are allowed more than 90° angle.. I wore my lovely sheepskin biker boots which don’t need socks.
 Recovery shoes - Robin O'Reliant
No one's mentioned Crocs yet?
Ha. Ugliest footwear ever.
Nearest I’ll get to them is gaiters to hold my sox up
 Recovery shoes - smokie
Correct Robin, other than Manatee and others... :-)
 Recovery shoes - Runfer D'Hills
Google, Nike Go Fly ease.
 Recovery shoes - tyrednemotional
...Crikey; that from a man who disparages Crocs....
 Recovery shoes - VxFan
How about footwear that has those velcro flaps

eg www.amazon.co.uk/ASCEND-Triple-touch-fastening-trail/dp/B007GJRL3M

or replace the laces in your current footwear with elastic laces

eg www.amazon.co.uk/Xpand%C2%AE-Tie-Shoelaces-Adjustable-Slip/dp/B01DFK6EXS
 Recovery shoes - sherlock47
Definitely recommend silicone individual 'short' laces. With a long shoehorn makes for an easy life.

Not sure how well the long laces work.

Can't post link as amazon seem to want to send you my account details :)

Recovery shoes - VxFan
>> Can't post link as amazon seem to want to send you my account details :)

If you look how I trimmed my Amazon links down, then you should be able to do the same.
 Recovery shoes - sherlock47
I guessed that it would work if I trimmed, but did not have time to check.
 Recovery shoes - VxFan
It probably wouldn't show your account details if you posted the whole link. It's only because you're logged into Amazon you can see it. If you log out, then open the link I bet it won't show your details. Or open the link in another web browser that you haven't logged into Amazon with.
Latest Forum Posts