Non-motoring > As Seen on TV - Volume 25   [Read only]
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 125

As Seen on TV - Volume 25 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 26 *****

==============================================================

A place to discuss what's on TV that might be of interest to others. (exc. Top Gear, F1, for example - which have threads of their own)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then REPLY to this post and REMEMBER to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 25 May 23 at 11:36

This England -Sky Atlantic - sooty123
Just watched the first couple of episodes. Kenneth Branagh plays BJ really well, plenty of other lookalike actors playing the main players through covid. Enjoying it so far.

As Seen on BBC TV News - henry k
100 seconds of BBC News going wrong

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-63159569

Slow Horses - Zero
Slow Horses Season 2 is now available, seen E1, cracking start.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 5 Dec 22 at 10:20

Slow Horses - smokie
Oh good, I'll see if I can find it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 5 Dec 22 at 10:20

Slow Horses - legacylad
I’ll have to subscribe to Apple TV and binge watch series 1 when I return home in a week or 2.

Lots of excellent reviews

Slow Horses - legacylad
“ Bringing you up to speed is like trying to explain Norway to a dog”.

What a great line by Oldman.

Slow Horses - Zero
Oldman is just magnificently repugnant, more so than S1 - its his show by miles.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Dec 22 at 11:52

Slow Horses - Kevin
Just bought a new OLED TV and LG are giving away 3 months free Apple TV+ to anyone who bought a 4K or 8K TV in the last 4 years.

Open the Apple TV+ app and follow the instructions apparently.

Slow Horses - R.P.
Sky are now offering Apple TV+ free for six months.

Slow Horses - Robin O'Reliant
I'm going to renew subscription and watch it. Great TV series, which is an unusual thing to say after you've read the books.

Slow Horses - Falkirk Bairn
If you have Disney+

The Patient & Old Man have just started.

Not seen The Patient but recommended by family.

Slow Horses was favoured - Slow Horses is magic.

Slow Horses - Zero
Damn, up to episode 5 (of 6) so far, and its far better than the first season, which was clearly setting the characterisation groundwork and getting the basics in place. Here in season 2, we have plot, action, its dark, characters from S1 die.

Best thing on TV for a considerable time.

Slow Horses - CGNorwich
Yes , yesterday's episode was very good. Outstanding series. Great raincoat

A[so recommended Glass Onion - film on Netflix - Tremendous fun ' Daniel Craig's accent is outrageous

Motherland - Christmas special. One of the best comedies on TV. Great cast Anna Maxwell Martin, Lucy Punch, Diane Morgan especially

Looking forward to the Detectorists on Boxing Day.

Slow Horses - smokie
Storing Slow Horses for a January binge (or maybe take it to Portugal in March). The first series was really good.

Slow Horses - Zero
Season 3 and 4 has been signed, same cast. Late 2023 for S3
 Slow Horses - Zero
I kind of assumed the theme was an old stones track, mostly because you dont get to listen to it all the way through, Jagger sound like he is in his prime, and the dark haunting theme sound has the same feel as Gimme Shelter, and that was 1968!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tegw25qqbAs

>> Season 3 and 4 has been signed, same cast. Late 2023 for S3
>>

They've taken a lot of liberties with the books, which had more characters and more involved plots. In the book series Peter Judd is an undisguised ringer for Boris Johnston and the character of Jackson Lamb is obnoxious enough to make the TV version look warm and cuddly.

Of course I understand that i is very difficult to translate a book into film word for word, and Slow Horses is a hugely enjoyable watch on it's own merits. I've only got the last episode to see and I can't wait for the third series.

Slow Horses - legacylad
I never signed up to Apple TV....but just read books 1 & 4 ( charity shop buys) in the Mick Herron series.

Really liked them, the plots, characterisations, twists and turns.

I’ll now buy Books 2 & 3 in the series and strongly suspect that the Apple TV dramatisations will disappoint . Should I subscribe.

>> I
>>
>> I’ll now buy Books 2 & 3 in the series and strongly suspect that the
>> Apple TV dramatisations will disappoint . Should I subscribe.
>>

You should subscribe.

A film can never contain the detail in a book so will always be a little different, but they've captured the essence of the books and have done a superb job - much better than the usual screen adaptation.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Vienna Blood - sooty123
Now on Iplayer, it's a buddy buddy cop type show set in vienna just before ww1. Quite enjoyed it so far, nothing earth shattering but a nice bit of tv set in an era not used much in tv.

Vienna Blood - CGNorwich
Basically Sherlock Holmes set in Austria. This is second series.

Vienna Blood - sooty123
Pretty much yes, there is a third series out.

Mayflies - Bobby
Two parter starting tonight.
Covers end of life / euthanasia turmoil between two old pals.

Should be a thought provoking watch.

www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/mayflies-bbc-release-date/

Mayflies - Bobby
Finally got round to watching this last night. Very, very thought provoking. And a lump or two in the throat as well which isn’t fun when you have a horrible dry sore throat!

Gone Xmas Fishing 2022 - legacylad
Bob & Paul head off to Norway, or more specifically, the Lofoten Islands. Jaw dropping scenery, great aerial footage....the episode only spoiled by Ulrika Jonsson showing up for 5 minutes and contributing sweet FA to the programme.

In the previous century I borrowed my FiL’s old Discovery and we took it to Bergen from Newcastle with Color Line. Next time I need to drive much further north. A lot further in fact.

Gone Xmas Fishing 2022 - tyrednemotional
...Lofoten and Vesteralen much recommended...

...and yes, I watched it (the Church at Flakstad had the campsite we used there in the background).

Got as far as the Vesteralen first time in the 'van years ago, Lofoten rather more recently.

Sounds like a fabulous road trip...do tell.

I’ve already packed my tent in my minds eye...now, how to get there...

Since the ferries to both Norway and Denmark have ceased, it's one hell of an undertaking. (though even before, Lofoten was, which is why we only reached Vesteralen before turning round on an earlier visit).

Frankly, a motorhome makes the thing viable, hotels and lack of self-catering render it difficult and expensive. Your use of tents and similar might mitigate the downside (most/many Scandinavian campsites have huts, often little more than wooden tents, which make touring possible and more cost-effective, not least because they also have communal kitchens which make self-catering easier).

You really do need to travel to get the best of things. The distances can be quite daunting - the end of the Lofoten, for instance, is near 1000 miles from Bergen - and the closest you're going to get on the ferry is Rotterdam/The Hook ( or possibly Ijmuiden).

To get the best experience, travelling up through Central Sweden (faster/easier roads) and coming back through Norway is probably the best option. Sweden has its own, though different, attractions.

I absolutely adore Scandinavia (Denmark less than Sweden/Finland/Norway) and a road trip, properly planned, is to die for.

The Lofoten is the best scenery yet (though other locations have had other advantages). If we head out again (possibly next year) we might target Senja - the large island further North, and rather more quiet).

You have to work at getting walking routes in the midst of an awful lot of wilderness, but if you do, it ain't half rewarding.

Gone Xmas Fishing 2022 - Dog
Forget the stick of rock, could you bring me back a swede, preferably the blue-eyed blonde variety.

:)

From memory it was a 3 week trip, the first of which was attending a conference in Bergen.

After that we only got as far north as Aldesnes, following the coast and using short ferry crossings to save inland detours. Went up the highest mountain, Galthoppen or something (fat pig). It was recommended you have a guide, roped up for the glacier crossing. Being tight wads we just followed in the footsteps of a walking party and got shouted at for not paying the guiding fee. It was a simple walk with crampons.

Loved the roll mop herring for breakfast. We had an exhibition stand at the conference, and obtained written permission from the Norwegian Embassy to bring alcohol into the country. Duly declared, we brought in suitcases full of decent wine. My partner at the time worked in sales, we rationed the free exhibition booze, then on our trip she negotiated free B & B accommodation in exchange for bottles of expensive wine.

>>could you bring me back a swede, preferably the blue-eyed blonde variety.

...first time I went to/through Sweden (to Norway, actually, almost 40 years ago), I used the train (free, and first-class due to my railway "perks" ;-) ). Harwich/Hook to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to Oslo, Oslo to Bergen.

The Copenhagen to Oslo leg was overnight, by sleeper and the train ferry from Helsingor to Helsingborg. (I don't think the latter now takes carriages, but essentially the train was shunted in sections onto the boat and carried across on the ferry, allowing you, at least in theory, to sleep through. Building the bridges changed travel practice big time).

I was gently awoken from my slumbers on arrival at Helsingborg by an archetypal Swedish blonde border patrol officer asking for my passport - I did wonder whether I was dreaming!
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sun 1 Jan 23 at 10:04

Gone Xmas Fishing 2022 - Runfer D'Hills
I got woken up by an Alsatian guard dog licking my face in Zurich airport once. That was at Christmas time come to think.
Loooooong time ago.

Gone Xmas Fishing 2022 - Bromptonaut
>> I got woken up by an Alsatian guard dog licking my face in Zurich airport
>> once.

During a London train strike in the early eighties a colleague, having supped very well, returned to the office intending to kip down in the first aid room. Unfortunately he got out of the lift on the wrong floor and caused some alarm to female members of staff of another occupant who were in their night attire.

Out man retreated to our floor and very quickly dropped off.

Thirty minutes later he had the company of two Met Officers and a very large Alsatian, which insisted on sniffing his knackers.....
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 1 Jan 23 at 10:36

>> once. That was at Christmas time come to think.

...I obviously have better quality dreams....

Gone Xmas Fishing 2022 - Zero
>> once.

I have seen your passport picture. The similarity with Wurst is remarkable.

Gone Xmas Fishing 2022 - Runfer D'Hills
I think he actually mistook me for George Clooney. Probably his handler wanted an autograph I expect.
It happens quite a lot, but I’ve learned to remain polite and live with it.
;-)

...I have actually noticed that, over time, George Clooney is becoming to look much more like me (rather than vice versa). ;-)

I had an online 'relationship' with a Canadian woman living in Malaga a couple of years ago.

Her middle name was Aurelia (golden) her mother was Swedish and her father was Spanish, quite a fiery mix!

Breast cancer won out eventually - even after the lumpectomy and all the chemo. :(

Gone Xmas Fishing 2022 - zippy
>>Canadian woman...

Truly sorry to hear that Dog.

I had a relationship with a 6ft tall Canadian lass a long time ago. Amazing times.

Thanks zippo. Christina was just under 6ft. She actually came to Spain to die. She met up with her father's extended Spanish family and had loads of friends in Canada and Spain.

She had a lot of 'stuff' going on regarding her parents - her father in particular!! I felt so sorry for her and tried to help her.

She went back on the fags in the end, and her diet was far from healthy - what's the point when you know the inevitable outcome.

Her online name was Allheart, that may give you some idea of her.

Here's a photo of her .. in the red hat :)

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/52602665618/in/datetaken-public/

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan S3 on Amazon Prime - Manatee
Obviously Ryan is practically a one man army but this is suitably suspenseful and it probably isn't a spoiler to say that he prevails in his fight against those who threaten our liberty.

Kept us entertained for 3 or 4 nights, though.

Bad Sisters Apple TV - CGNorwich
Watched the first couple of episodes last night. Very promising, black humour. Worth a watch.

Bad Sisters Apple TV - CGNorwich
Finished watching this last night. More that lived up to its early promise. It’s set in Ireland and the five sisters in question are a varied but close knit group.One of them is married to a wealthybut thoroughly unpleasant and controlling character. The sisters decide to get rid him.

Great cast. Definitely recommended.

The Pale Blue Eye - Zero
Netflix - The Pale Blue Eye

The Pale Blue Eye is a 2022 American mystery thriller film written and directed by Scott Cooper, adapted from the 2003 novel of the same name by Louis Bayard. It tells the story of veteran detective Augustus Landor who, in 1830 West Point, New York, investigates a series of murders at the United States Military Academy with the aid of Edgar Allan Poe, a young military cadet. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Christian Bale and Harry Melling as Landor and Poe respectively, along with Gillian Anderson, Lucy Boynton, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Toby Jones, Harry Lawtey, Simon McBurney, Timothy Spall, and Robert Duvall.

Its a bit measured (unkindly you may say slow) and intense, but builds nicely to what seems a conclusion, and then throws in a twist. Gorgeously filmed, brooding and stark, worth a couple of hours of evening viewing.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 8 Jan 23 at 11:07

The London Nobody Knows - Dog
One for lundeners to record:

www.radiotimes.com/movie-guide/b-2kqach/the-london-nobody-knows/

Happy Valley - zippy
Just found this after recommendations from mates.

Watched season 1, some of it "from behind the sofa". It's hard to imagine people being that evil.

Gritty and good but not for the squeamish (like me).

Happy Valley - martin aston
I too am squeamish but, as far as the first episode goes, it wasn’t too bad. Some horrible people and threats/violence but without much gore. Maybe we have different triggers. Anyway I thought it was brilliant.

Happy Valley - John Boy
I'm a bit confused here. I think Martin is writing about Episode 1 of Season 3 and Zippy is writing about the whole of Season 1. Have I got it right?

Happy Valley - zippy
All of season 1 for me - watched over two evenings this week.

Can I claim to be a victim here? Mrs Z loves these things * and insists on watching them with me - I often feel traumatised afterwards :-D

*Silent Witness, Waking the Dead, Grace, Vera, Line of Duty etc, etc, etc. I feel drained afterwards.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 13 Jan 23 at 09:58

Happy Valley - John Boy
I enjoy some of that kind of series. I've long since given up on Line of Duty - too complex and over dramatised. Shetland, which i watched recently, struck me as really good. For me, the best thing about Happy Valley (Season 1 & 2) has been the relationship between the two sisters. The worst thing was the sound quality.

Happy Valley - Runfer D'Hills
>> *Silent Witness, Waking the Dead, Grace, Vera, Line of Duty etc, etc, etc. I feel
>> drained afterwards.

My wife likes all those sorts of programmes too. I can’t begin to be interested in any of them. There’s enough misery in real life without adding it to what is supposed to be entertainment in my view.

Actually, it would seem that some (most maybe) people watch way more TV in general than I do. I’m not good at sitting doing nothing much. I tend to fall asleep if I sit down for more than half an hour anyway.

I’m better off tinkering with something in the garage or shed in the evenings or going out for a walk with the dog, or for a swim, or anything really rather than sitting staring at a screen.

When I lived alone, I didn’t even own a TV, it was only when “she” moved in that I was coerced into buying one. I just didn’t seem to want one at the time.

I do watch some things now of course, but anything that involves dead bodies or is to do with ballroom dancing, jungles, big brothers, ice skating or identifying people performing in masks is definitely not on my agenda.

Happy Valley - BiggerBadderDave
'There’s enough misery in real life without adding it to what is supposed to be entertainment in my view.'

I'm a bit like that. I've got a DVD of Boys from the Black Stuff which I absolutely love but I can't watch an episode unless I've suddenly acquired a new client or won the tender.

Happy Valley - legacylad

>> I do watch some things now of course, but anything that involves dead bodies or
>> is to do with ballroom dancing, jungles, big brothers, ice skating or identifying people performing
>> in masks is definitely not on my agenda.

We’re kindred spirits, although I prefer to bury my head in a book rather than potter in a shed.
3 books currently on the go...a Jo Nesbo ( usual gruesome), A very short intro to the Spanish Civil War by Helen Graham, and One Man’s Morecambe Bay by Cedric Robinson.

Pooped tonight, rarely watch any TV on holiday, or at home...took a minder with me today into the mountains. Just in case I didn’t return from a rather adventurous steep sided barranco off the beaten track. That’s my adrenaline kick for a day or two.

Jo Nesbo - Fullchat
Love Jo Nesbo's books but Macbeth really screwed my head. Stuck it to the end though.

Happy Valley - CGNorwich
You probably wouldn’t enjoy the Audio book I’m currently listening to then. It’s “Mortal Monarchs, 1000 Years of Royal Deaths” by Suzy Edge. Explains in details how all our monarchs died and the likely cause. Absolutely fascinating and highly recommended if you’re not squeamish and of course a handy antidote to “Spare”

Happy Valley - Duncan
Good episode tonight. I don't think I have heard so many f's in one episode of a programme.

Happy Valley - smokie
I've hidden Zippy's "spoiler alert", even though it may be insignificant. Completely unnecessary.

Happy Valley - zippy
>> I've hidden Zippy's "spoiler alert", even though it may be insignificant. Completely unnecessary.
>>

Humbug :-)

Happy Valley - smokie
:-)

I'll be watching it at some point so don't want to know stuff in advance, but I now know something, even though it may be insignificant - but I wasn't to know that before I read it!

Happy Valley - Zero
I dont get this fondness for Happy Valley. Its a depressing, dark, miserable series with little in the way of interest or excitement. Ok you can say "gritty" but its not for me.

Happy Valley - Manatee
>> I dont get this fondness for Happy Valley. Its a depressing, dark, miserable series with
>> little in the way of interest or excitement. Ok you can say "gritty" but its
>> not for me.

Between us we have lived in Elland, Halifax, Huddersfield and Brighouse and we have great fun spotting locations that we are very familiar with. Sally Wainwright is from Sowerby Bridge and the dialogue is absolutely spot on, you could learn vernacular West Riding from this programme. It's far better in this respect than the usual Yorkshire stereotypes speaking with a non-existent all-purpose northern accent that usually turn up in TV and film drama (including "Summer Wine"). There's a lot of humour in Happy Valley too, which perhaps goes over the head over those not tuned in to it.

Sarah Lancashire is also noticeably better at the accent and dialect than e.g. Derek Jacobi, Ann Reid and Nicola Walker in Last Tango despite the fact that she (Lancashire) is actually from Oldham.

There were complaints about the sound quality of the earlier series of HV, which the BBC blamed on the accent/dialect. Despite that they seem to have fixed it...

I can see why you might not enjoy it. I did in fact say "gritty!" when I watched the first episode of this series.

Happy Valley - tyrednemotional
>>.....and we have great fun spotting locations that we are very familiar with.

...they had to go to Bolton for the café scene, though. (Sheffield obviously doesn't have much of a "café scene"..........or a prison for that matter ;-) )

Happy Valley - sooty123
I've caught up on this one, enjoyed it. Missed it the first time around, I liked the dry humour in it. Good effort on the accents, which are important in a focused region specific show. Looking forward to the next one.

Treason - Zero
Netflix.

Started to watch it -started well, then it got silly. Up to episode 3 hoping it might get better.

The Rig - Zero
Prime

Started well then it got silly - very silly went all supernatural, really gave up on that halfway through E3

The Rig - R.P.
Same here. Well made but that's about all

The Rig - sooty123
I managed the trailer, enough for me .

Two Doors Down - Clk Sec
Only started watching this from the last couple of series, so have been catching up on iPlayer.

Great humour, but perhaps not for those with delicate ears.

An Clo Mor - Bromptonaut
I've mentioned before the Mrs B and I have got hooked on Gaelic Language TV including the nineties soap Machair set on Lewis and The Hebridean Mermaid about the Western Isles seascapes.

Now there's a new drama based around a Tweed Mill and set in Harris:

mgalba.com/bbc-alba-weaves-bold-stories-in-new-drama-series-an-clo-mor-the-great-cloth/?lang=en

Watched the first episode tonight. Drama wise it's run of the mill but loving working out where on Harris different bits are filmed. The building playing The Mill is an old school house but is it or is it not Stocinis?

At least two of the female actors were in Machair as twenty something students. Now in their forties....
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 13 Jan 23 at 21:19

An Clo Mor - tyrednemotional
Bromp,

if you haven't already, check out "Ian Robertson Rambles" on iPlayer.

You'll possibly enjoy the current/latest series on the Hebridean Way.

An Clo Mor - Bobby
Like this. Watched the second episode last night. Only been to OH once and loved it and desperate to go back. Want to take the dog, but want to cycle, but want to fly in……

Iain had also done other similar programs covering the John Muir Way, uplands etc

An Clo Mor - tyrednemotional
>> Iain had also done other similar programs covering the John Muir Way, uplands etc
>>

...yeah, you might even manage to find it if you use the Scottish version of "Ian". :-(

(Being broadcast on BBC Scotland means it isn't available on terrestrial TV to us Sassenachs. It is available on Freesat in England, however, otherwise it's iPlayer. I've watched most of the various series - it's a bit "niche", but enjoying walking and knowing the locations helps.

I've only visited the OH once, in the 'van. We did much of the length out and back from Stornoway, enjoyed it immensely, and would like to return. The scenery is to die for!).

An Clo Mor - Bromptonaut
>> Bromp,
>>
>> if you haven't already, check out "Ian Robertson Rambles" on iPlayer.
>>
>> You'll possibly enjoy the current/latest series on the Hebridean Way.

I'll have look for that. Done a few bits of the Hebridean Way as short/shorter walks. The Maaruig road to Laxadale Lochs on the Scalpay road is a nice half day toddle on an old drove road but needs a second driver or careful coordination with buses.

The Coffin Road from east to east or vv is a good walk too. The soil on East Harris is too shallow for burials and the deceased were carried through the hills to graveyards on the West Coast's Machair.

We're up there again in June staying, as usual, at a place called 5 Caw just outside Tarbert.

Daughter, son in law and Grandson have booked a cottage near Kyles Scalpay for the same week.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 14 Jan 23 at 11:33

Mystery Road: Origin. BBC iPlayer. - Manatee
All 6 episodes available. A prequel to Mystery Road, which it is not necessary to have seen. Excellent story about an Aboriginal detective.

Mystery Road: Origin. BBC iPlayer. - Zero
>> All 6 episodes available. A prequel to Mystery Road, which it is not necessary to
>> have seen. Excellent story about an Aboriginal detective.

Not allowed to call them Aboriginal now, they are "First Australians"

Mystery Road: Origin. BBC iPlayer. - John Boy
Normally, I'm not keen on widescreen format, but, for Aussie landscapes, it's perfect.

Surgeons: At the Edge of Life - Duncan
BBC2 Wednesday evenings. Very sobering. Don't have accidents.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09m60sk

All Quiet on the Western Front 2022 - Zero
Netflix, German made, up for several oscars.

Think its the third film of the book, and probably the worse.

The good bits, it portrays the sheer horror & slaughter of WW1 graphically*, Cinematography is very good, acting good, and fulfils the futility of war theme of the book.

But, severely disjoined jumping all over the place location and time wise with little linkage, no real introduction to the characters - all very annoying. And it takes little from the book other than theme.

*overdone tho, some people take an unfeasibly long time to die.

Worth a watch? if nothing else available I guess so

All Quiet on the Western Front 2022 - R.P.
I'm glad you said it. I didn't enjoy it either. The first one is far better. No need for colour or graphic injury scenes - it was brilliantly made. The American version was crap.

All Quiet on the Western Front 2022 - Zero
Just won a Bafta for best picture.

Whisper this - If it hadn't been a German film, and the Ukraine war hadn't broken out it would never have had a sniff of a chance.

Madoff, Netflix - Crankcase
Financial documentary. I knew about Madoff, have read one of the many books, found this documentary fascinating.

Mrs C didn't, hadn't, has no interest in finance, but she too found it fascinating.

I liked it so much I watched it twice.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 29 Jan 23 at 17:10

Wednesday, Netflix - zippy
A retelling of the Adams family focusing on the daughter.

Typical American teen series akin to Buffy The Vampire Slayer, nicely gothic and a bit silly.

Quite watchable though as it's quite light heartedly dark.

Oh, Catherine Zeta Jones is in it (briefly).

Wednesday, Netflix - John Boy
I've watched that too and agree with that summary.

Wednesday, Netflix - Kevin
>A retelling of the Adams family focusing on the daughter.

Lisa Loring who played Wednesday in the original series died yesterday from a stroke caused by smoking and high blood pressure. She was 64.

news.sky.com/story/lisa-loring-the-original-wednesday-addams-actress-dies-after-stroke-12798984

Wednesday, Netflix - Kevin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq_etwhv6vw
 Wednesday, Netflix - BiggerBadderDave
I knew I'd enjoy it when in the first episode teaser Wednesday throws a bag of vicious piranhas into the swimming pool to punish a school bully. He loses a testicle.

The paintings, sketches and illustrations featured are clearly Tim Burton's. The monster lurking in the woods seems to be his style, too.

Wednesday, Netflix - bathtub tom
One of my daughters married a guy called Adam. I was left in no doubt what would happen to me if I did a double finger click when I mentioned Adam's family in the FotB speech.

Aile Arasinda - Netflix - John Boy
My eldest daughter is fluent in Turkish and recommended this comedy. It's very OTT, but I really enjoyed it. The general theme is Unlikely Guy gets Gorgeous Girl.

The Alpinist - Sky Discovery - Fullchat
Documentary following the climber Marc-André Leclerc. Primarily a solo climber.

If you suffer from vertigo it might not be for you.

Some fabulous filming and stunning scenery.

The Alpinist - Sky Discovery - Biggles
Formerly a solo climber.
 The Alpinist - Sky Discovery - Fullchat
Spoiler alert!

Nolly - Robin O'Reliant
What a load of crap.

Nolly - Zero
>> What a load of crap.

It reflects the show perfectly.

Nolly - CGNorwich
Could you expand on that. I like Helena Bonham Carter and will give it a watch.

Nolly - Zero
>> Could you expand on that. I like Helena Bonham Carter and will give it a
>> watch.

Its actually quite funny

Nolly - Robin O'Reliant
>> Could you expand on that. I like Helena Bonham Carter and will give it a
>> watch.
>>

It was over hyped and just did not live up to it's billing. Quite boring and episode one (Of 3) really told you all you needed to know as it included her sacking. I don't know how they are going to pad the remaining episodes, maybe they have something up their sleeves that will change my mind.

The Gold BBC1 - Duncan
The fictionalised story of the Brinks Mat gold bullion robbery.

Some many loveable rogues - not.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0dvdttj

Worth trying to stay awake for.

The Gold BBC1 - Zero
>> The fictionalised story of the Brinks Mat gold bullion robbery.
>>
>> Some many loveable rogues - not.

Kenneth Noye was a nasty scumbag. Dont know if the prog will look at the long term aftermath of the robbery, many of those involved ended up getting wasted by their peers.

The Gold BBC1 - Fullchat
www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/kenneth-noye-m25-murder-danielle-cable-witness-protection-b1060101.html

The Gold BBC1 - Manatee
>>Kenneth Noye was

He is extant.

The Gold BBC1 - John Boy
He also has an extensive Wikipedia page.

The Gold BBC1 - Duncan

>> Dont know if the prog will look at the
>> long term aftermath of the robbery, many of those involved ended up getting wasted by
>> their peers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink%27s-Mat_robbery

Scroll down to "Curse".

The Gold BBC1 - R.P.
BBC Radio has been plugging it as a "heist", best avoided then.

Endevour - zippy
Last episode was tonight and excellent it was too.

I will really miss it.

36 films in total. Not enough IMHO.

Endevour - Duncan
Not vaguely believable. Where to start.

The superintendant would have been retired donkey's years ago.
Thursday would never hand over cash like that. Besides he would have his lovely fat Inspector's pension to come regardless.
Meeting people in deserted warehouses? Too cliched.
Upstairs were complaining about the money being spent at Blenheim Vale? But there was never anyone working there?

Endevour - zippy
>> Not vaguely believable. Where to start.
>>

It's a TV film, not a documentary.

Endevour - Duncan
>> >> Not vaguely believable. Where to start.
>> >>
>>
>> It's a TV film, not a documentary.
>>

But it's not meant to be a comedy or a fantasy.

Not remotely feasible. Would you accept that?
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 13 Mar 23 at 09:07

Endevour - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> But it's not meant to be a comedy or a fantasy.
>>
>> Not remotely feasible. Would you accept that?
>>

I doubt if there has ever been a cop show that was.

Endevour - VxFan
>>>> >> But it's not meant to be a comedy or a fantasy.

>> I doubt if there has ever been a cop show that was.

Does a movie count?

Hot Fuzz.

Endevour - Bromptonaut

There's too much potential for that to to be right.

In the late seventies there was one about a probationary Constable known as Rosie. Mildly and innocently funny but was also filmed around Scarborough which doubled it's appeal for my Mother.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_(TV_series)
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 13 Mar 23 at 13:24

Endevour - R.P.
Ohhh ! Rosie was brilliant !

Endevour - bathtub tom
>> Ohhh ! Rosie was brilliant !

I quite enjoyed 'The growing pains of PC Penrose'. We still refer to 'doing a Wilmot' when, erm, adjusting oneself.

Endevour - Bromptonaut
>> >> Ohhh ! Rosie was brilliant !
>>
>> I quite enjoyed 'The growing pains of PC Penrose'. We still refer to 'doing a
>> Wilmot' when, erm, adjusting oneself.

That was of course the precursor to Rosie with some of the same characters including Willmott.

Endevour - VxFan

A couple of more just came to me. Thin Blue Line (Rowan Atkinson) , and The Detectives (Jasper Carrott and Robert Powell).

Endevour - Zero

There have been a few that were. I suspect The Sweeney was a pretty good picture of The Flying Squad in its day, As we found out later, it may even have underplayed it.

Endevour - CGNorwich
Who’s duty pedant?

Endeavor

Endevour - martin aston
Must be me ……Endeavour.

Endeavour - Manatee
>>Not vaguely believable. Where to start.

Well it beats Poirot on the plausibility dimension, but I agree. Few real policemen get to investigate 2 or 3 murders every week.

Did you actually watch it Duncan? It doesn't sound as if you did. Didn't Fred Thursday lend his life savings to his brother in an earlier series without realising where it was going? (E&OE, I never remember these things either).

Upstairs wanted the Blenheim investigation shut down, ostensibly because of the cost but really because of the involvement of bent coppers in whatever had been going on there.

Fair point re Anton Lesser but what a great character. Even less believable was the corrupt DS Arthur Lott, who looked about 100 years old.

I'm sure I missed a lot myself, I have to get the boss to explain plots to me, but what a brilliant series.

Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 13 Mar 23 at 11:52

Endeavour - Duncan
Did I watch it? Yes. All the way through - and stayed awake the whole time.

I enjoyed it, but it's complete cobblers.

Endeavour - Duncan
>> Well it beats Poirot on the plausibility dimension,
>>

Talking of Poirot - this is my favourite ever piece.

tinyurl.com/5b85z9w2

Endeavour - Zero
>> >> Well it beats Poirot on the plausibility dimension,
>> >>
>>
>> Talking of Poirot - this is my favourite ever piece.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/5b85z9w2

I liked Poirot, but mostly because I am a fan of Art Deco*. architecture, and am lucky to live near, and visited several of the locations, Burgh Island, Midland Hotel, Brooklands, Shoreham Airport, and many more.

* And Arts and Craft, and Yes Brutalist.

Endeavour - zippy
>>Anton Lesser but what a great character.

Yes and a very touching end scene for him.

Roger Allam as Fred Thursday and his half finished sentences was also a winner for me.

In fact, I think all of the main cast were brilliantly selected.

And as a series ending episode it did very well including a nod to the young cadet police officer Lewis in the north and the two jags passing, the choir at the end.

Not many series have the luxury of wrapping things up so well. The last long series that I reall having watched that made a real effort to bring stories and character conclusions was the ST DS9 ending and that with over 20 years ago.

I would happily pay to see more episodes of Endeavour or a re-imagined Morse with new stories, perhaps set in the period between the end of Endeavour and Lewis joining John Thaw's Morse?

AIUI Colin Dexter has banned any other actor from playing Morse, so if there are to be more episodes, Shaun Evans must play him.

Good Night, and Good Luck - Manatee
www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Night-Luck-David-Strathairn/dp/B00EU820LA

Amazon Prime.

"Stylish drama set in 1950s America. TV reporter Ed Murrow (David Strathairn) takes a stand against the leader of the decade's anti-Communist witch-hunt, Senator Joseph McCarthy."

Worth a watch. Shown on BBC in 2013 but sadly not on iPlayer.

One for the Humax - Dog
www.radiotimes.com/movie-guide/b-s5s7t2/chopper/

Contains violence, swearing, drug abuse and nudity.

:)

Latest Forum Posts