Non-motoring > Possible fraud? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 15

Possible fraud? - bathtub tom
I've received a (Monzo) credit card at my old address (which is now an empty house) in a name I don't recognise. The envelope had obviously been previously opened and re-closed.

I suspect it's got to be some sort of scam, but can't figure it out how. I've destroyed the card.
 Possible fraud? - zippy
>>
>> I suspect it's got to be some sort of scam, but can't figure it out
>> how. I've destroyed the card.
>>

Card intercepted. Card details including CCV copied. Card used for purchases on line.

Purchases may be sent to the empty house and intercepted at the gate.

Many retailers allow posting to a different address as long as the card's address is correct.

I would call Monzo and tell them. Return the envelope marked not known here or similar.
 Possible fraud? - martin aston
I had a similar experience last week. I received a letter from a BS, properly addressed including postcode, to an unknown name. We live on a close of 20 houses and the name didn’t fit with anyone we know and we’ve been here for nearly 30 years. I didn’t open it but squinting through the transparent window it was about an account in yet another name.
I was intrigued but couldn’t be bothered to call the sender, anticipating disinterest or confidentiality issues. I returned to sender, kept photos of the sealed letter and ran my credit record to ensure no untoward entries. All good except I was surprised to find that LV, who I’ve been with for 9 years had run a credit check for last year’s renewal. Odd but unrelated to the mystery letter.
I will keep an eye out for anything unusual but I suspect the letter is an innocent mistake. Unless anyone on here knows better.
 Possible fraud? - Bobby
Martin, what site do you use for running credit checks on yourself?
I’ve never done it, always been wary of causing unnecessary checks to show on my history!
 Possible fraud? - Zero
I use Experion. The monthly search they (and others) employ is a "soft" search and is not counted as a credit search.
 Possible fraud? - zippy
www.creditkarma.co.uk/

It's free. You do get emails with offers and updates. It's may be possible to opt out of them but I can't be bothered.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 17 Sep 22 at 11:21
 Possible fraud? - Zero
>> www.creditkarma.co.uk/
>>
>> It's free. You do get emails with offers and updates. It's may be possible to
>> opt out of them but I can't be bothered.

You get a monthly email to say if you have gone up or down, and depending on the supplier if you get a hard search on your record.
 Possible fraud? - Bromptonaut
>> www.creditkarma.co.uk/
>>
>> It's free. You do get emails with offers and updates. It's may be possible to
>> opt out of them but I can't be bothered.

I find that useful. Lots of ads but the monthly report is a useful reminder and will probably sound the alarm if there were anything untoward.
 Possible fraud? - martin aston
Yes I used Experian. The problem remains is that you can’t blanket check by address, just by name and address. Even then you need some ID for the name part so I can’t check if the woman whose name appeared on the letter has applied for credit at my address. You can see why as that in itself would open up opportunities for fraud.
So a check in my name is second best but all we have.
 Possible fraud? - smokie
I was nodding at what Zippy said then remembered Monzo is a pre-pay card, I'm not sure you'd be able to buy much until you'd put some money onto it.

Did you have a Monzo card Tom?
 Possible fraud? - bathtub tom
>>Did you have a Monzo card Tom?

No, I had to google them to find out who they were. I tried calling them, but they're obviously not geared up to accept phone calls, preferring folk to use their app or email. I've emailed them but nothing other than 'we are busy' acknowledgement.
 Possible fraud? - zippy
Monzo do bank accounts and debit cards.

I wasn't aware that they did top up cards, soz.
 Possible fraud? - Bromptonaut
Radio Four's Money Box had one today I'd not heard of before.

Older lady who didn't use the internet and was a conventional shopper has received hundreds of demands from Clarna (short term free credit - postponed payment). Looks like her ID has been stolen to make multiple purchases via Asda, Just Eat etc.

Uphill battle to be taken seriously and to get letters stopped and action taken.

So called Action Fraud were chocolate teaspoons. One agent told her ID theft was not a police matter...

Another item referred to increasing number of cases where agents posing as acting for taxpayers are fraudulently claiming reliefs/refunds. They use a Deed of Assignment and it seems HMRC processes haven't caught up and they're asserting both parties, including the fraudster, need to sign up to it's being revoked.

Reference to His Majesty's Revenue and Customs caused me a slight double take!!
 Possible fraud? - zippy
>>So called Action Fraud were chocolate teaspoons. One agent told her ID theft was not a police
>>matter...

Heard that one so many times it must be a joke!

Fraud loss costs the UK about £200 billion a year. If this was street theft or bank robberies the populace and the govt would be calling for urgent action.

Many personal losses are repaid by banks under new regulator lead laws and regulations (I have had training but just can't think of them right now).

The point is, it removes responsibility. People don't care, because they are convinced that the banks will refund them.

The Govt loves this because it removes the problem from a Govt issue to the responsibility of the banks and they don't have to fund and expensively train police experts.

But the end cost is bourn by the consumer in lower in credit interest rates, higher borrowing rates and lower profits to shareholders which include pension funds.

It's like the Ealing comedy "The Ladykillers", when Mrs Wilberforce was told the theft ""is just a penny off of everybody's policy".

It's wrong, but the Govt, don't see it as wrong.
 Possible fraud? - Fullchat
Totally agree. There is an element though of the organisation having to take responsibility to minimise their, and their customers, losses.
For example petrol stations allowing customers fill up their cars before payment.
Supermarkets and large shops with no security arrangements so thieves can walk out of the stores with their goods.
Action Fraud is just a signposted organisation to collect data and relieve the Old Bill of another burden. I don't think they actually do anything proactive. People are traumatised by criminals dipping into their finances by what ever methods. I find particularly distasteful the trawling of telephone numbers trying to find victims, often elderly.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 17 Sep 22 at 15:02
 Possible fraud? - Rudedog
And yet people in authority seem to allow it to carry on.... I've no idea if it's possible to stop it but imagine what a vote winner it would be.

Latest Forum Posts