Non-motoring > How do you pick a bed? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 32

How do you pick a bed? - Bobby
We are finally giving up on our extra firm mattress which we thought we wanted but we now wonder whether it’s the root of our aches and pains!

Reckon we therefore want “medium” mattress but how do you narrow down the 10 million options available??

Costco have a Silentnight on offer just now which looks good www.costco.co.uk/Furniture-Mattresses/Mattresses-Bedroom/Divan-Ottoman-Beds/Silentnight-2200-Eco-Comfort-Breathe-Mattress-Slate-Grey-4-Drawer-Divan-in-4-Sizes/p/SNEcoBreathe2200DrawerSlate

But I know you can also buy a Premier Inn Hypnos bed and I have never had a poor sleep in PI (though I am usually staying at one due to being out on the lash so will sleep well anyway!)

As usual I am overthinking things, is there an easy way to do this?
 How do you pick a bed? - sooty123
There's various ones advertised on tv with a 30 day trial/money back, try one of those. I think they come and collect it if you don't want it. Eve, Emma i think are the main two.
Read some reviews on the Eve or Emma that give you 100 day no quibble refund but many reviews said that although was still good at that point it didn’t last much longer than a year.
 How do you pick a bed? - CGNorwich
“As usual I am overthinking things, is there an easy way to do this? “

Yes and yes.

Actually I doubt very much any aches and pains are due to the firmness of your bed. More likely encroaching years.

It you do want a new bed decide on your price range and visit a large store, John Lewis are good, and try out a few.

How do you pick a bed? - Falkirk Bairn
Keep the mattress & buy a mattress topper - this adds a few inches of memory foam and worth a try.
 How do you pick a bed? - BiggerBadderDave
Sleep around a bit.
 How do you pick a bed? - legacylad
>> Sleep around a bit.
>>
Best getting out of bed and going home to sleep :-)
Unless there’s a chance of a bacon sandwich
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 14 Sep 22 at 08:17
Have a mattress topper already about 7cm and mattress still solid.

I like to sleep on my side so hip gets through topper and then it’s solid!
 How do you pick a bed? - Dog
The memsahib has recently purchased that Silentnight mattress and she's H.A.P.P.Y wivvit.

I have a more expensive Silentnight firm mattress - I found it too firm originally, so I did what Falkirk Bairn suggested.

Mattress has, um, bedded in now after 2 years, so I've binned the topper.

Hynos mattresses are much bueno ... and mucho pesetas!
 How do you pick a bed? - Manatee
The boss (73) is getting a bad hip, and thinks our firmish mattress needs swapping or toppering.

We've just been on holiday and she says she had no pain in any of the 5 hotels, all of which had softer mattresses. First night home she got the hip ache again.

I saw the Silentnight one the other day. We might well give it a try, it certainly has more give than the one we are using which is a pocket spring job we bought in a hurry from IKEA.

Pre-fire, we had a Hypnos - very good.

I'd always go for pocket springs. I don't like memory foam, it's too hot. We tried a memory foam topper in the caravan, had to abandon it. So we'll probably go for a new mattress with some decent padding on top. The Hypnos had wool stuffing under the cover.
 How do you pick a bed? - Zero
You go to John lewis, and you try out some mattresses. You decide which one you prefer by lying on it, and she decides which one you get.
 How do you pick a bed? - smokie
Haha, yes, this ^^^
 How do you pick a bed? - bathtub tom
Last time we bought a mattress, we went to numerous places and realised we were looking at the same mattress with a different name at different shops, claiming it was 'unique' to them. Some places were charging eye-watering prices.

By going on manufacturers sites, I realised we were looking at Silentnight Rio. It's a relatively firm, spring mattress, with a cushion top.

I also discovered it was far, far cheaper if ordered online.
 How do you pick a bed? - John Boy
Haven't you answered your own question, Bobby, in paragraph 4? We always slept well on Premier Inn beds too and bought one of their Hypnos mattresses for that reason. We have no regrets.
Problem with the PI Hypnos is it’s about 50% dearer than the Costco silentnight. We bought a suite from Costco unseen and delighted with it. Also happy with their return policy. Might be worth the risk.
Went round every beef shop in the area yesterday.
Concluded definitely medium support needed.

But I’m not sure how a 2 min lie down on them can tell you whether they will be suitable for a sleep!

Oh apart from the Tempura at around £3 or £4k! That was very comfy….
 How do you pick a bed? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Oh apart from the Tempura at around £3 or £4k! That was very comfy….
>>

You'd happily spend that on a car that you used maybe only five or six hours a week and will be worth next to nothing five years later.

A mattress, on the other hand will probably last twenty years and you spend eight hours a night on it, so....
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 15 Sep 22 at 14:53
Manatee are you saying you saw this Costco Silentnight mattress?
Do they have them in the shops?
 How do you pick a bed? - Manatee
>> Manatee are you saying you saw this Costco Silentnight mattress?
>> Do they have them in the shops?
>> See

Yes, but that was Milton Keynes last weekend
Cheers. I’ll nip into Glasgow today to see if they have any.
They didn't have any in Glasgow..
 How do you pick a bed? - Zero
>> They didn't have any in Glasgow..

Never mind, at least you got a hot dog.
Zero, I didn't!!!!!!

They actually had no hot dogs and a sign up saying not available - so not a short term issue! They did have a Cumberland Sausage on a roll instead.

I had the slice of Pepperoni Pizza and the Korean BBQ beed bake (same idea as the chicken bake)

Oh and they didn't have any of your screenwash either
 How do you pick a bed? - sooty123
>
>> They actually had no hot dogs and a sign up saying not available -

I think there's an issue with them across costco uk.

Edit not all but a fair few.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 18 Sep 22 at 21:46
 How do you pick a bed? - Fullchat
I have suffered with my back over the years.

Our last change of mattress was to guite a firm and heavy memory foam one but I found it supportive and was not having to release every joint in my body on getting up in a morning, which is what I have to do with a soft mattress. However it was getting to its sell by date and was exceedingly hot in warm weather. Also of concern was that when I turned there was minimal impact on Mrs FC

I was recommended a Sleepeezee Align and went to a local showroom and conducted the usual mattress testing process of all their display. We kept gravitating back to the Align and placed an order. There was some delay and eventually received a call stating the manufacturer was unable to deliver however we got a good discount on the showroom mattress we had tried several weeks earlier.

We had it delivered and after a couple of nights I started to wonder if perhaps we had gone too firm. However I have to say after a short while it seems to have 'broken in' and is 100% spot on and totally comfortable.

It is a heavy beast when it comes to turning and is also quite tall which is a real aid to getting in and out, not that I have particular mobility issues but it adds to its + points.
 How do you pick a bed? - martin aston
The heat issue may have been solved by some manufacturers. During the extreme heat we slept on a foam mattress at my daughter’s house. It was a cheap one but labelled as cool something or other. “Yeah, sure” we thought. In fact it was no hotter than our own conventional John Lewis own brand £800 one. We both slept well despite the warmth of each evening.
I would still choose a conventional mattress over foam as I prefer natural fibres wherever possible but foam heat may not be the issue it once was?
 How do you pick a bed? - MD
Book a Premier Inn Bobby.

I’ll bring the van :-)
now there's a plan...
 How do you pick a bed? - wotspur
Ok as one who has sold adjustable beds for 30+ years , they are worth it . I used to sell a Cincern for comfort at 3,650 , which was priced to sell ,at £1 a day for a good night sleep for 10 years ! People spend that on a paper or a tin of beer.
Then I worked for Adjustamatic ( I sleep on one and when I had a car crash ,was needed to get me out , the one I bought was 3 months old ,originally 4k and I robbed em blind and got it for £120 !!
For those who want a flat bed, go to a bed shop IN THE MORNING , not when you’re tired …….I used to love working at the Ideal Home esp in the afternoons !!
DONT look at the prices ..
Lie on 6 beds for 10 minutes or more , move around to make sure you can easily . Then you both rate them , and decide on which you prefer , the look at the prices and if you can afford you’re chosen one , buy it .
My old mum always said when I was younger , “. Always buy a good pair of shoes and a good bed, cause if you’re not in one your in the other “ always listen to your mum .
Vi Spring are a good make as is Duxiana
Last edited by: wotspur on Sat 24 Sep 22 at 20:13
I tend not to buy 10 years worth of beer upfront…
 How do you pick a bed? - Biggles
What, pray, is an adjustable bed?
 How do you pick a bed? - wotspur
It’s an electrical adjustable bed , basically it can raise the head up and feet up ,amd mine has a built in massage
 How do you pick a bed? - bathtub tom
>> mine has a built in massage

Isn't that what SWMBOs for? (mine doesn't read this - I hope).
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Sep 22 at 11:22
Latest Forum Posts