Non-motoring > The Queen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: James Loveless Replies: 261

The Queen - James Loveless
There are (in my view) ominous very recent reports today in various papers concerning the health of the monarch.

The Palace has issued a statement which includes the words "...the Queen's doctors are concerned for Her Majesty's health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision."

Her mobility issues and her fatigue suggest her body has been failing her for some time. Probably she won't last for much longer. The comment "It will be the end of an era" may be trite, but nonetheless appropriate.
 The Queen - sooty123
Seems the senior royals are all going to Scotland, that's not a good sign.
 The Queen - Zero
Lets face it, having just sworn Liz Trust in, you wouldn't want to face the world for much longer.
 The Queen - Bobby
Certainly can’t accuse Liz Truss of sitting about doing nothing:

twitter.com/itvcalendar/status/1567102473826885637?s=21&t=zYAeMZMOQ5GjraQiIj8ENQ
 The Queen - VxFan
No doubt it will be Boris's fault if she pegs it.
 The Queen - legacylad
Glad I don’t have to pay the gas bill at Balmoral.
Or maybe I do, indirectly.
 The Queen - Zero
If Boris was still PM at the funeral he would have made it all about him.

I bet he is spitting feathers.
 The Queen - zippy
I'm certainly not a royalist, but I do like the Queen and truly hope this is just a "health scare".

Of course reality may be different. :-(
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 8 Sep 22 at 15:34
 The Queen - CGNorwich
He is actually rather good at public speaking unlike our present PM. It was governing the country he was rubbish at.

I suspect the Queen rather liked him. Found him amusing
 The Queen - henry k
>> Seems the senior royals are all going to Scotland, that's not a good sign.
>>
Harry & Megan too. I wonder how long they will stay in the UK ?
 The Queen - legacylad
I wasn’t aware they were in the uk.
Seems like only 2 minutes since they were here
The statement from the Palace that the Queen is "comfortable" might suggest she has previously not been comfortable, whatever that means. References to "further evaluation this morning" suggest she may have been taken ill during the night.

The Palace will always delay announcements like this for a long as possible and will always tell only part of the story.

My sense is that the situation is far more serious than anyone is saying.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
Not seen the telly but my son tells me the BBC reporters have already donned black ties.
 The Queen - bathtub tom
Doesn't anyone else find all this morbid?

For chrissake leave her alone and let her croak it in private!
 The Queen - Robin O'Reliant
>> Doesn't anyone else find all this morbid?
>>
>> For chrissake leave her alone and let her croak it in private!
>>

Her life isn't private. That's part of the deal when you accept the crown.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> Her life isn't private. That's part of the deal when you accept the crown.

It's the deal her successor will have to accept.

Not sure it's what she signed up to in 1952.
 The Queen - zippy
>>Not sure it's what she signed up to in 1952.

The world is a very different place now and news is 24/7/365.
 The Queen - Zero

>> Not sure it's what she signed up to in 1952.

Of course it is. After the Death of her father while she was on tour, A father who became King after the abdication crisis and after a war where the royal family featured heavily in home propaganda,
Royalty was already living in the public eye. Its where it started.
 The Queen - Zero
>> Not seen the telly but my son tells me the BBC reporters have already donned
>> black ties.

Not all of them, only the ones who are likely to break the news.
 The Queen - smokie
Friend of a friend of a friend works at Sky News and she said at abut 4:30 that HMQ has already gone, that they were waiting for the whole family to turn up before announcing.

Probably just speculation.

Whatever, it's sad news.
 The Queen - Zero
From another source.

"I'm a bellringer and I've just received an email reminding me of the London Bridge protocols for bellringing - when we're supposed to ring, and how (bells must be muffled, etc.)"

Edit and the London Bridge protocols have been activated.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 8 Sep 22 at 18:33
 The Queen - BiggerBadderDave
'Not seen the telly'

Sit in your favourite armchair and look straight ahead. It's probably there.
Death just announced.
 The Queen - Zero
And its announced, She has died.
 The Queen - Zero
Glad I have plenty to watch on catchup tv
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
Will be strange to write about barristers who are KC and to send him victorious, happy and glorious.
 The Queen - sooty123
It must have happened quite quickly, she seemed quite well meeting the new PM and then i guess things took a turn for the worse this morning, I got a message around 3 about tower bridge being activated.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
The new king will be known as King Charles III

Apparently they can choose their regal name.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> The new king will be known as King Charles III
>>
>> Apparently they can choose their regal name.

Charles Philip Arthur George gave him a bit of choice.

I'd have liked King Arthur...
 The Queen - Ted

Arthur would have been good.

Emmerdale pulled off....it's the only fresh air I get !

Ted
 The Queen - Biggles
Maybe he will choose a more radical name to cement the relationship with his subjects.
 The Queen - Rudedog
Sad when a family member dies but she was a human like all of us just born in special circumstances.

Now we will have weeks if not months of 'Royal' correspondents endlessly stating the bleeding obvious...

Then we'll have the know it all gossips b it ching about the new queen.. they've started already in my family!!!

Just seen TV pictures of families taking 'selfies' outside Windsor with all of the flowers that have been laid... says it all.

Wonder what would have happened if she had died before swearing in the new PM?

The Queen - Bromptonaut
It seems all BBC Radio and TV, including BBC Alba/Cymru is broadcasting the same tributathon.
 The Queen - legacylad
Two friends are serving officers in the police force. They have very dark humoured nicknames.....I wonder if Liz Truss will henceforth be known as ‘killer’.
 The Queen - Bobby
Absolutely can’t stand Truss.
But I do have a tinyiest modicum of sympathy that she will need to go through this whole routine and process etc over the next few weeks.
Thank god we got the energy announcement out when we did as the BBC stated that the cost of living crisis was now irrelevant or words to that effect ….
 The Queen - tyrednemotional
>> Thank god we got the energy announcement out when we did as the BBC stated
>> that the cost of living crisis was now irrelevant or words to that effect ….
>>

...well, it is to at least "one"....
 The Queen - Zero
Operation LONDON BRIDGE

www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-death-plan-britain-operation-london-bridge/
 The Queen - legacylad
It would be nice if the Royal Train was steam hauled down the Settle - Carlisle to Hellifield.

I would even make the effort to stand on the flanks of Ingleboro and watch it cross Ribblehead viaduct.
 The Queen - Zero
>> It would be nice if the Royal Train was steam hauled down the Settle -
>> Carlisle to Hellifield.
>>
>> I would even make the effort to stand on the flanks of Ingleboro and watch
>> it cross Ribblehead viaduct.

If by train, it will be the East Coast Main Line. My ole man was rostered on the royal train to Sandringham once.
 The Queen - sooty123
>> It would be nice if the Royal Train was steam hauled down the Settle -
>> Carlisle to Hellifield.
>>
>> I would even make the effort to stand on the flanks of Ingleboro and watch
>> it cross Ribblehead viaduct.
>>

I don't think you'll get your wish, it appears the Queen's body is being flown down to London.
 The Queen - Ted

>> I don't think you'll get your wish, it appears the Queen's body is being flown
>> down to London.
>>

Is Lizzie still out and about ? Maybe ' The Queen's ' loco could take her from London to Windsor. .

Ted
 The Queen - Zero

>> Is Lizzie still out and about ? Maybe ' The Queen's ' loco could take
>> her from London to Windsor. .

No, its broke
 The Queen - Lygonos
>>Operation LONDON BRIDGE

Operation Unicorn
 The Queen - Zero
Harry arrived an hour after the Queen died, and, according to gossip, MM was barred from attending.
 The Queen - Lygonos
>>Harry arrived an hour after the Queen died,

She died much earlier this afternoon, before Andrew et al arrived.
 The Queen - Zero
>> >>Harry arrived an hour after the Queen died,
>>
>> She died much earlier this afternoon, before Andrew et al arrived.

Its the queen, She didn't die till it was announced she died. Like Her Birthday.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> Harry arrived an hour after the Queen died, and, according to gossip, MM was barred
>> from attending.

From where does this gossip come.
 The Queen - Zero
>> >> Harry arrived an hour after the Queen died, and, according to gossip, MM was
>> barred
>> >> from attending.
>>
>> From where does this gossip come.

MM
 The Queen - bathtub tom
>> The new king will be known as King Charles III

May I refer to him as: 'king Charles?
 The Queen - zippy
Googles gone grey as a mark of respect.

www.google.com
 The Queen - legacylad
And my Yaris is wearing black.

She could probably fit in the back with t’seats down.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
They’ve called off the Test Match!!!
 The Queen - Zero
>> They’ve called off the Test Match!!!

S'ok, they have called off the train strike.

Swings n roundabouts
 The Queen - VxFan
>> S'ok, they have called off the train strike.

And also today's Mail strike.
 The Queen - sherlock47
Cancelled completely or just suspended today? I can only find reference to a decision to be made on Friday. From the Mail - so could be wrong? "with an announcement on the rest of game expected this morning following further talks with government."

WTF has the government got to do with cricket?
 The Queen - sooty123
They have just suspended play today. No decision on the remainder of the game.
 The Queen - Rudedog
By the sounds of things many more sporting events today are probably going to be suspended including football games.

The Queen - Bromptonaut
Cycling Tour of Britain cancelled.

Police availability part of issue as large numbers will be mustered to London.
 The Queen - VxFan
>> WTF has the government got to do with cricket?

Dunno. Totally stumped in fact.
....reign stopped play.....
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> WTF has the government got to do with cricket?

Presumably there will be some sort of protocol during the seven (?) days of official mourning.

Government will have contact with the King via Buckingham Palace.
 The Queen - Terry
Seems the footie is off this weekend as well - not that I am remotely bovvered.

Still every cloud ..... the cost of living crisis has disappeared and the war in Ukraine is clearly over to judge from media attention.
 The Queen - VxFan
I have no urge to go to London, or Balmoral to lay flowers.
I have no urge to cry uncontrollably, and not get any sleep.
I have no urge to go to church to pray and light a candle.
Etc etc.

The papers, radio, TV, social media, etc are continually on about it.

Surely I am not the only one not in mourning, am I?
 The Queen - Zero

>> Surely I am not the only one not in mourning, am I?

I have no urge to do any of those things, I feel 24 hour blanket coverage on every mainstream channel is over the top. I am no royalist, opining in fact that monarchy should cease at this point.

However, we are living through a unique point in history, one that some generations have never seen or experienced , its a global event about the most famous person in the world, and has appeared on the front page of every news outlet in every country.
(except North Korea)

Mourn I shall not. However I am judging a Kennel Club show on Sunday, HM the Queen was a royal patron of the KC, indeed taking an active part, even showing some of her hateful Corgis at the Royal Windsor Dog show. So I shall be wearing a jacket and black tie to judge.

The Queen - sooty123
It was a given it would be like this across the media. Well known for years. Its very much a defining moment in history.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> It was a given it would be like this across the media. Well known for
>> years. Its very much a defining moment in history.

If anything I think it's been toned down a bit after feedback when the DofE died.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> I have no urge to go to London, or Balmoral to lay flowers.

We've had a message from our (unitary) council about places to lay flowers in Northampton, Towcester and Brackley. Probably Dav as well I didn't take it in, just checking Council Tax for a client.
 The Queen - Rudedog
I guess nobody here will be rushing out to buy the bumper souvenir edition of the Mail then?

Gosh and then we've got the Sundays to come...

I've always thought that being a royal correspondent is the easiest job in the world.... 99% of them probably never met the royals and yet claim to have known their every move/opinions on things... also they can make wild inaccurate statements without any comeback... easy money stating the obvious.

The Queen - Terry
What we know about the Queen and what she actually did.

She conducted herself as head of state in an exemplary way, She met with leaders and the public. She made speeches promoting tolerance and decency etc. She developed the "Queen" brand and successfully maintained it for 70 years. We know she liked corgis and horses.

We know almost nothing about her personally - bar a couple of formal documentaries she has remained very private. Her messages to the Commonwealth, Xmas etc have been largely consistent but we don't know what she really thinks. We don't know if her conversations with the rich, famous or influential had any impact at all. We don't know what makes her angry or sad.

She was a bit more figurehead than most other figureheads - even the Pope who spends most of his time being "saintly" occasionally has to pronounce on something - eg: contraception.

The Queen never pronounced on anything vaguely controversial - perhaps that was the source of her success.
 The Queen - Bobby
So what was the point of her?

Tourist Attraction?
 The Queen - CGNorwich
If we’re getting philosophical what is the point of any of us?

Personally I hate all the mawkish sentimentality that surround the Royal family but as is self evident a lot of people like all that stuff so I’m happy just to ignore it until normality resumes and we can get back to discussing air fryers. :-)
 The Queen - bathtub tom
I understand postal workers and train drivers have called off their strikes 'out of respect for the queen'. Park runs are being cancelled tomorrow 'out of respect for the queen'.

So striking workers are going to work, but volunteer workers aren't. Ironic innit.
 The Queen - Bobby
Our Park Run is on. As is the Great North Run. As is cricket, rugby and horse racing.
For some reason Football authorities decided differently. Idiots.
 The Queen - smokie
It's a mark of respect Bobby. They are not idiots, any more than you are for thinking so.
 The Queen - Bobby
Ok. Explain what a “mark of respect” is?

To me, when I am grieving, it may be to go to church, to say prayers, to meet with family and reminisce about the person. Maybe even do something as a group that you knew the person liked.

How is cancelling football games a mark of respect? What do all these players, fans, coach drivers, stewards, pub staff, catering staff etc now do instead and tell me how’s that then constitutes a mark of respect? How is it a mark of respect that many people will lose a days wage due to these being cancelled?

It is a knee jerk reaction because society has traditionally done it but no one is brave enough to question why.

And, by inference, I assume every other employer from pub, to civil servant, to shop staff etc etc are all therefore being disrespectful by carrying on their life, and their business, as normal?
 The Queen - smokie
As you've clearly demonstrated in your second para, a mark of respect is different to different people. Doesn't make them idiots just because their definition doesn't match yours.
 The Queen - Falkirk Bairn
A lack of respect
Just in case you missed it!

tinyurl.com/tn9wtt56

I think Jackie has had her last sale of Fish & Chips in Muir of Ord
 The Queen - sooty123
twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1568301841003253760

Perhaps nerves got the better of her, i think that was a curtsy. She very awkward, mind you it's a lot to take in a few days into the job.
 The Queen - sooty123
That's some strange ideas there, a lot of excitement from the locals. Perhaps the highlight of the year in the muir of ord.
 The Queen - Rudedog
Reading around some of the things that are now going to change the new King might feel a bit hard done by...

Our money now is designed to last a long time (plastic nots) and from what I've read will only be updated when they wear out which could be years.

Blank passports have probably been printed in their thousands so QE2 ones will still be issued.

From the ceremony today I did find it surprising that they have to wait for all of the great seals to be re-made....I would have thought they might have had an idea that they should be prepared.

The Queen - sooty123
I'm sure they'll get through the stock of passports and issue new notes soon enough.
 The Queen - Ted
>> I'm sure they'll get through the stock of passports and issue new notes soon enough.
>>

And we were still using Victorian coins prior to decimalization. We will still be able to use Lizzie2 coins for many years to come.

Likewise, we still use many Post Boxes with the King's crown on them from G6/G5 days.

Police helmets will need to be changed to King's crown plates.

Ted

Last edited by: Ted on Sat 10 Sep 22 at 15:51
 The Queen - zippy
>>Blank passports etc...

It would be a huge waste to pulp any existing documents with the Queen's details. They should be used.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Our money now is designed to last a long time (plastic nots) and from what I've read will only be updated when they wear out which could be years.

Up to decimalisation coins in circulation dated back to1840
 The Queen - bathtub tom
Anyone else listened to Gold radio? The last two days have been brilliant, no adverts, no sombre dirges (Adele), and no heavy rock. Unfortunately, there's not an endless playlist and I've now heard everything twice!
 The Queen - Dog
>>Anyone else listened to Gold radio?

I've had my ear glued to Planet Rock for the last 2 days. Not really my cup of Ceylon really but, what an excellent play list, and no firkin ads at all at all
 The Queen - Bobby
Why aren’t they allowed ads?
 The Queen - Dog
>>Why aren't they allowed ads?

I don't think any of the commercial radio stations are running ads today or yesterday.

The play list on Planet Rock isn't the usual noisy stuff that Pat used to like, it was specifically chosen for 'the occasion'. Although I believe I may have heard Stairway to Heaven ...

The Queen - Bromptonaut

>>Although I believe I may have heard Stairway to Heaven ...

But not the Rolf Harris version.
 The Queen - Dog
>>But not the Rolf Harris version.

I quite liked the Rolf Harris version. He's even got his didgeridoo out on this vid:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJBGLP7Akk
 The Queen - bathtub tom
I thought Rolf's version was good and only regret not buying it at the time.
 The Queen - legacylad
>> I thought Rolf's version was good and only regret not buying it at the time.
>>
He needs locking up for that awful version...

Lexington Lab Band do a far better rendition. And not a dog in sight.
 The Queen - sherlock47
>>Anyone else listened to Gold radio?

Until the cricket started i had about 36 hours of Absolute 60s. Similarly no ads, but starting to repeats.

But why no ads? Is it disrespectful ? To whom?

Considering they've got sixty or more years of songs to choose from heir playlist is pathetic.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
My daughter has just sent me a picture of the self service hand scanners in Sainsburys. They have changed the background colour from orange to black!
 The Queen - CGNorwich
And from the Met Office

“We are saddened by the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Our thoughts are with her family and all those affected by this news.

“As a mark of respect during this time of national mourning, we will only be posting daily forecasts and warnings.”
 The Queen - sherlock47
“As a mark of respect during this time of national mourning, we will only be posting daily forecasts and warnings.”

WTF is going on in this country? Civil servants not producing what has been deemed to be useful information! Either we need it or we dont need them (all). Boat owners surely need the information.

Griefwashing ? A new word for the OED?

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 10 Sep 22 at 17:41
 The Queen - Terry
The Queen is/was the No 1 British brand worldwide. It is recognised everywhere and held in high esteem by most. The Queen did a fantastic job in its promotion and is one of the few reasons why GB is still on the world's top table.

GB does pageantry and ceremony much better than others. It is part of the Monarchy brand. Why waste a golden opportunity for promotion.

The wall to wall coverage bores me rigid. I don't understand why limiting weather forecasts or advertising is a display of respect. Similarly bizarre is cancelling Royal Mail and Rail strikes for the same reason.

Calling a bank holiday on funeral day is inappropriate - normally holidays are happy events. Get ready for a repeat nonsense for the coronation of King C - more hushed tones, respect, trumpets, bishops, interviews with the worthy etc.
 The Queen - sooty123
There seems to be a large number of church services, I'm impressed they've made up a different name for each one.
 The King - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001chcz/hm-the-king-the-proclamation-of-hm-the-king

At about 58 minutes, 45 seconds, there is a bit where His Majesty clearly gets annoyed over the placement of a pen tray.

Any normal person would have either moved it themselves or asked for it to be moved in a "nice way". He appeared like a spoilt, petulant child.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 10 Sep 22 at 18:45
 The King - sooty123
mobile.twitter.com/BBCLauraKT/status/1568571047892459523

I think camillas facial expression says alot.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 10 Sep 22 at 19:39
 The King - Zero
I'd like to say I am surprised, say how much out of character it must be, driven by grief.

I'd like to say it, however I am not at all surprised, and would have laid money on it, but not quite so quickly.
 The King - legacylad

>> Any normal person would have either moved it themselves or asked for it to be
>> moved in a "nice way". He appeared like a spoilt, petulant child.
>>
If a picture paints a thousand words, how many does a video clip paint ?
 The King - BiggerBadderDave
'where His Majesty clearly gets annoyed over the placement of a pen tray'

I see Prince William is a left-hander. They should have given him a biro.

Fountain pens and left-handers always leave a smudgy mess.
 The King - Bromptonaut
>> Fountain pens and left-handers always leave a smudgy mess.

Anything that doesn't dry rapidly. My preferred Uniball needs great care on birthday or leaving cards if not to leave a smudge.
 The King - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>>
>> Anything that doesn't dry rapidly. My preferred Uniball needs great care on birthday or leaving
>> cards if not to leave a smudge.
>>

Try those dippy inkwells we had to use at school. All us lefties of that era developed an upside down writing style in order to cope.
 The King - Manatee
>> www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001chcz/hm-the-king-the-proclamation-of-hm-the-king
>>
>>
>> At about 58 minutes, 45 seconds, there is a bit where His Majesty clearly gets
>> annoyed over the placement of a pen tray.

The video has been edited unless I am watching the wrong bit. It does show HM moving the inkwells around, and they are very much in the way. They needed a bigger table. Or perhaps the Groom of the Inkwell* should have stood at the royal elbow, holding it.

*I infer that there is no such post, but perhaps the Groom of the Stool could have doubled up, as he was not performing his principal duty at the time.
 The Queen - Zero

>> Calling a bank holiday on funeral day is inappropriate -

Calling a bank holiday is wholly appropriate, and traditional.

>>normally holidays are happy events.

As most of our holidays are about the death or martyrdom of saints, thats not a factor.
 The Queen - smokie
Good point.

Although I imagine that those who disapprove of the Royal Family and/or the mourning process etc would have gone in to work anyway on the Bank Holiday, had they been in gainful employment.
 The Queen - sooty123
>> My daughter has just sent me a picture of the self service hand scanners in
>> Sainsburys. They have changed the background colour from orange to black!
>>

So has screwfix's website, it's now got a black banner.
 The Queen - Terry
Bank holidays were created by the Bank Holiday Act of 1871 which identified the following days - Easter Monday, Whit Monday, First Monday in August, Boxing Day.

Christmas Day and Good Friday were not included in the act as their observation was already embedded in custom and practice.

The Act was revised in 1971 and some of the holidays renamed - eg: Whit Monday (Pentecost) became the spring BH. Firsst Monday in August became the last. BH are slightly different in Scotland and NI.

The motivation for the act was typically Victorian - more to do with formalising the (very limited) rights of workers to have some leisure time, not religious observance.

Bank holidays have been added to since then - May Bank holiday was linked to International Workers Day, New Year's Day as many were incapable through overindulgence the night before anyway, Platinum Jubilee for obvious reasons.
>> New Year's Day as many were incapable through overindulgence the night before
>> anyway,
>>

The last NYD that was not a bank holiday ('73 I think?) only three people turned up for early shift out of a workforce of around forty. The rest of us got a letter from the works manager expressing his disappointment.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
As you say NYD bank holiday holiday brought in to formalise what was the de facto situation in Northern manufacturing towns . Turned out to be a really bad decision as just created ten day stoppage in output in a country where productivity has always been poor,
 The Queen - Fullchat
Friday saw our pre organised Scotland motorcycle trip wend its way passed Balmoral. A few private thoughts and a salute.
Park and ride from Braemar and Ballatar. Quite a few around all clutching a floral tribute. All seemed well organised and under control. I'm sure there will have been an Operational Order on the shelf awaiting implementation.
 The Queen - sooty123
I believe the C17 has arrived in Edinburgh to take the queen's coffin to London.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
C17 into Northolt?
 The Queen - Zero
C17 minimum runway length 1064 metres. Useable landing runway Northholt 1687 metres.

Depends on wind and approach I guess, currently

Wind 110° 3kt. Visibility 10km or more. Clouds scattered 3700ft, broken 21000ft. Temperature 19°C, dew point 17°C. QNH 1012hPa.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Sep 22 at 09:36
 The Queen - Bobby
Thought she didn’t go till Tuesday?
 The Queen - Zero
she dont
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> Thought she didn’t go till Tuesday?

In Edinburgh until tomorrow then taken to Northolt by RAF aircraft on Tuesday afternoon.

www.royal.uk/arrangements-funeral-her-majesty-queen
 The Queen - Manatee
There's a C17 on the runway at Turnhouse readying to take off for Northolt.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
Now airborne and turning south.

Flight Radar 24 is overloaded with traffic but easy enough to track it on ADSB Exchange.
 The Queen - sooty123
A good send off for the Queen at the airport i thought.
 The Queen - legacylad
Hope she’s got a window seat
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
Kittyhawk 01R just about to start descent towards Northolt.
 The Queen - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uBNoG914jI

Live flight radar track feed on youtube

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 13 Sep 22 at 18:39
 The Queen - Zero
Astonishing scenes on the A40, a live major road in London at rush hour.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> Astonishing scenes on the A40, a live major road in London at rush hour.

Not surprised by anything but can you expand?
 The Queen - Zero
A major road (part of it motorway standard) the A40, out of London in rush hour, live traffic going out of london, just stopped with people out of their cars, Its peeing down with rain, dark, and people are lining the sides,

Nice tight ride by the met bikes up front.
 The Queen - smokie
I bet that Jaguar hearse has been built for some time, clearly a Royal special with the glass ceiling, lighting, lack of numberplates (and probably a specialist police driver rather than a funeral director!)

One of the accompanying Range Rovers, MYT1, shows on the MOT database as a VW Caravelle whose MOT has expired...
>>
>>
>> One of the accompanying Range Rovers, MYT1, shows on the MOT database as a VW
>> Caravelle whose MOT has expired...
>>

Containing a mix of security service personal and SAS men armed to the teeth, no doubt.
 The Queen - sooty123
A good job at Northolt as well I thought. Almost everything was done whisper quiet, seemed more poignant to let the event speak for itself.
 The Queen - zippy
It's very well done and I can understand why people want to witness this, very sad that it is.
 The Queen - zippy
Some awful timing...

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/13/king-charles-staff-given-redundancy-notice-during-church-service-for-queen
 The Queen - Fullchat
"A good job at Northolt as well I thought. Almost everything was done whisper quiet, seemed more poignant to let the event speak for itself."

Apart from the emergency siren activated in the background. Probably the 'Water Fairies'.They have them wired into the ignition :))
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> A good job at Northolt as well I thought. Almost everything was done whisper quiet,
>> seemed more poignant to let the event speak for itself.

It was pointed out elsewhere that the C17's thrust reversers were re-deployed once it was on the apron. Apparently this removes/reduces the 'rattle' from the fan as it's turned by the wind.
 The Queen - sooty123
You could (or i could any road) still hear the fan blades clattering.

I more meant QCS and the minimum amount of audible orders etc.
 The Queen - Ted

Referring to the post about MYT 1.

When I was a breakdown controller in the Civil Service, one of the fleets we looked after when broken down was the secret service vehicles. They were not repaired at the roadside but uplifted and taken to a building in London where they were taken in through anonymous garage doors.

They came out with different plates on and identities and all our paperwork on the incident was shredded. .....all forgotten !

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Tue 13 Sep 22 at 22:23
 The Queen - Fullchat
"Nice tight ride by the met bikes up front."
Special Escort Group (SEG).
It's their bread and butter.

Anyone notice the 'back up' hearse in the follow up convoy after they left Balmoral?

The carbon footprint is taking a hammering this week. But I suppose small fry in comparison to the US President on the move.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 13 Sep 22 at 23:21
 The Queen - VxFan
>> There's a C17 on the runway at Turnhouse readying to take off for Northolt.

Aircraft number ZZ177, which upside down, is LLIZZ
 The Queen - Zero
Fortunately it wasnt.
 The Queen - Zero
This is of interest.

edition.cnn.com/2022/09/16/uk/gallery/king-george-vi-funeral/index.html

Re the loco

GWR 'Castle' class loco, number 4082 appropriately named "Windsor Castle", was chosen as the Royal engine from the time that it was driven from Swindon works to Swindon station by King George V accompanied by Queen Mary on April 28 1924. Plaques were mounted on the side of the cab to commemorate the occasion.

Unfortunately, when King George VI died suddenly in February 1952, number 4082 was in Swindon works for repairs. To keep with tradition, the number of 4082 together with the name of Windsor Castle and the commemorative plaques were transferred to number 7013 Bristol Castle to haul the funeral train. However, after the special train working, only the commemorative plaques were returned to the original engine and from then on number 7013 became the Royal engine, number 4082 Windsor Castle, and the original number 4082 became number 7013 Bristol Castle.

Both engines failed to be saved from the cutter's torch: 7013 ( the original 4082 ) was scrapped in September 1964 while number 4082 ( the original 7013 ) worked a little longer until February 1965.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 16 Sep 22 at 09:43
 The Queen - Zero
news.sky.com/story/russia-calls-queens-funeral-snub-profoundly-immoral-and-blasphemous-12698457

You have to be incredulous at how the russians have such a different take on their actions to that of the rest of the world (Including China it seems who now think the ruskies are stupid and prime for exploitation)
I can't think the Russians believe half of what they say. Orwellian double-think is alive and well and the ridiculous statements they come out with are examples of propaganda on steroids.

Putin, for example, is said to have no regrets whatsoever about launching the "special military operation", despite the fact that regime change and the "denazification" of Ukraine, which were the stated original aims, look unlikely ever to be achieved.
 The Queen - Ted
>
>> Re the loco

There was also another locomotive which would have been suitable, namely the LMS Pacific " King George V1 ". It was virtually brand new in 1952 but was not a Western Region engine. Naturally, the Western management would favour their own kit. Or maybe it was in for service or too heavy for the Windsor Line.
KG V1, sadly did not survive the gas axe as well. But we have 3 more left in preservation.

Ted
 The Queen - VxFan
>> Fortunately it wasnt.

So how come it got a mention on loads of different media?
 The Queen - Manatee
>> >> Fortunately it wasnt.
>>
>> So how come it got a mention on loads of different media?

Fortunately it wasn't [upside down]?
OP - Thu 8 Sep 22 13:12

There are now reports in the press that Charles and Camilla were told the Queen was dying at 12:30.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> There are now reports in the press that Charles and Camilla were told the Queen
>> was dying at 12:30.

Pretty consistent with life for the plebs who get a call from the rellies or the hospital?
 The Queen - legacylad
Took my 94 yo mum to visit her 97yo sis in a nursing home yesterday.

My mum asked what did the Queen die of. I haven’t a clue....she was meeting & greeting with Boris and Liz Truss a few days before she carked it.

97yo sis has been hanging on for four years...zero life quality and far better to go quick. Was it a stroke or a heart attack, or simply old age and was fortunate enough to deteriorate rapidly rather than linger for years in an almost vegetative state.
 The Queen - Manatee
I heard HM had bone cancer.
 The Queen - Dog
Widows effect - a steady decline after losing her soulmate.
 The Queen - bathtub tom
>> My mum asked what did the Queen die of. I haven’t a clue....she was meeting
>> & greeting with Boris and Liz Truss a few days before she carked it.

Enough cause to lose the will to live.
 The Queen - All Heads Of State in One Place - zippy
With all the heads of state in London today and tomorrow, anyone wanting to take over the world has their chance with one strike! (Imagines Putin with white pussy :-D)

I wonder if extra army and air defences are in place or is that a little far fetched?

The Queen - All Heads Of State in One Place - Bromptonaut
>> I wonder if extra army and air defences are in place or is that a
>> little far fetched?

Times Radio's running news has repeatedly referred to snipers and drones.
 The Queen - All Heads Of State in One Place - sooty123
Like at the Olympics we ended up with snipers onboard helicopters looking out for, amongst other things, drones.

There's been two incidents in Africa, where small drones have dropped grenades/explosives on high ranking officials, i believe its happened in the ME as well.
Is sniper pejorative?

IE They have snipers; we have marksmen :-)
 The Queen - All Heads Of State in One Place - CGNorwich
No. We too have snipers

British Military Snipers - Elite UK Forces
Instruction is led by Platoon Weapons Instructors in a Royal Marines Sniper Training Team.
No they're different things, from different courses.
 The Queen - All Heads Of State in One Place - smokie
At least I understood the joke Bromps :-)
Was There a joke? Seems like a simple question to me. Perhaps you might explain
>> Was There a joke? Seems like a simple question to me. Perhaps you might explain

It was intended as a wry observation dressed up as a question.

My impression of media coverage over 50+ years has been that the IRA or the Argies had snipers; the Brits were more genteel...
As my post advised your wry observation that we don’t have or use the term snipers is incorrect. The British Army do indeed have snipers and use that term, having special sniper training schools and it is a specific qualification
Wouldn't have thought that's what you meant in a month of Sundays, I'm afraid I'm too plain speaking to notice that sort of thing. I had to look up what pejorative meant.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 18 Sep 22 at 16:24
 The Queen - All Heads Of State in One Place - legacylad
I had to look up what
>> pejorative meant.
>>
I thought it was a Mitsubishi
:-)
"... what did the Queen die of."

I suppose we will not be told, though presumably the Queen's doctor signed a death certificate.

I thought the photos of her meeting Truss showed a very frail old lady, much deteriorated since previous photos, with dramatic bruising of her right hand.

My guess is that she was taken ill either during the night or early in the morning of Thursday 8th September. Reports that she was under medical supervision were issued during the morning.

Our resident GP may be able to elaborate, but I imagine one of the causes of death would have been old age. (I was surprised to see this stated on my late father's death certificate, along with dementia. He had in effect starved himself to death, having refused food/drink and removed an intravenous drip.)
 The Queen - Zero
When you get to her age, I guess the cause does not really matter, there was probably a melange of medical issues to chose from.

Re snipers, I got the original wry comment about "us" and "them"

Practically, I guess Civilian forces use and train marksmen, Military forces employ snipers. The roles are quite different as is the training.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 18 Sep 22 at 16:55
 The Queen - CGNorwich
When you get to her age, I guess the cause does not really matter, there was probably a melange of medical issues to chose from.

From Guidelines to Doctors issued by Office for National Statistics.

Old age, ‘senility’ or ‘frailty of old age’ should only be given as the sole cause of death in very limited circumstances. These are that:
• You have personally cared for the deceased over a long period (years, or many months)
• You have observed a gradual decline in your patient's general health and functioning
• You are not aware of any identifiable disease or injury that contributed to the death
• You are certain that there is no reason that the death should be reported to the coroner
 The Queen - sooty123
From Guidelines to Doctors issued by Office for National Statistics.
>>
>> Old age, ‘senility’ or ‘frailty of old age’ should only be given as the sole
>> cause of death in very limited circumstances. These are that:
>> • You have personally cared for the deceased over a long period (years, or many
>> months)
>> • You have observed a gradual decline in your patient's general health and functioning

I guess the Queen's Dr could sign under those two circumstances.
 The Queen - Terry
The guidelines seem like typical cover the a45e prose.

The desire to pin the cause on something particular simply drives research and funding for the next big killer. Solve dementia and cancer - something else will take its place. Death is inevitable - maximise a life worth living, not extend it infinitely.

At 96 you are likely to have multiple problems, any one of which could lead to death. It could simply have been a fall. She is hugely fortunate that despite frailty, some sort of normality prevailed until the final 24/48 hours.

An ending I would happily emulate. There is a reason care homes are often referred to as "gods waiting room" - thoroughly depressing places, however well-intentioned the staff..
 The Queen - CGNorwich
The guidelines seem like typical cover the a45e prose.

They seem to me to be designed to prevent a generic term being used to avoid accurate statistical records being collated and possibly hiding the real cause of death.
 The Queen - Manatee
It's curious thing, and apparently it is a thing, that the long-lived tend to be healthier for a longer proportion of their lives and when they do decline to do so quickly.

The mother of a friend lived to 104. She was still running the local village hall in her mid-nineties.
 The Queen - sooty123
She was still running the local village
>> hall in her mid-nineties.
>>

There's a woman round here will into her 90s who still makes sells jars of jam/marmalade, enough to keep a shop supplied regularly.
 The Queen - zippy
>> >> She was still running the local village hall in her mid-nineties.
>> >>
>> There's a woman round here will into her 90s who still makes sells jars of
>> jam/marmalade, enough to keep a shop supplied regularly.
>>

MIL turned 90 in June and we had suitable celebrations.

She has a busier social life than anyone I know and is chief flower arranger at the local church.
 The Queen - sooty123
Just to clarify, in the military anyway, marksman is a qualification badge after getting a score on a test.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Quite right. I qualified as one when I was in the Cadet Corp. I seem to remember the badge was a rifle with a crown above.

Amazing how much access we were given to weapons. I think I could still strip down a Bren gun
 The Queen - sooty123
I seem
>> to remember the badge was a rifle with a crown above.
>>

Crossed rifles, now anyway. Worn on 3s and 1s (I think).

Amazing how much access we were given to weapons. I think I could still strip down a Bren gun

Up until the 60/70s I think some boarding schools had their own armoury.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Yes ours did. Two Brens, Four Stens and about Sixty rifles mostly mark four but some prized mark one Lee Enfields. Oh and half a dozen dummy grenades and a couple of Verey pistols.

We also had our own .22 range with ammunition store containing a few thousand rounds of .303 as well as the .22 ammo.

When we went to weekend camp and returned late we used to take ou rifles home on the bus. Different times!
 The Queen - CGNorwich
PS
Wasn’t a boarding school but a State grammar school
 The Queen - sooty123
ah right I thought they were a boarding school thing, that era was a bit before my time. So just what I'd heard.
 The Queen - sooty123
When we went to weekend camp and returned late we used to take ou rifles
>> home on the bus. Different times!
>>
>>

What with safeguarding now, I'm not sure Ofsted would be too impressed :-)
 The Queen - Fullchat
"Up until the 60/70s I think some boarding schools had their own armoury."

They did. I left in 74 and was a CCF member. The armoury was well stocked.

What was that rather bizarre film where member of the CCF got on the roof and started shooting at people?

Very much a similar experience CGN.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 18 Sep 22 at 19:53
 The Queen - legacylad
IF ? That’s without googling...top of my head. Roddy McDowell methinks.
 The Queen - Fullchat
If. Thats the one. 1968 film. Arthur Lowe played the school head
>> IF ? That’s without googling.
., correct

>>.top of my head. Roddy McDowell methinks.

..no, it was his brother, Malcolm. ;-)

..also without Googling.
 The Queen - legacylad
Smarty pants :-)
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> Up until the 60/70s I think some boarding schools had their own armoury.

Shooting clubs were, IIRC, relatively lightly regulated until the eighties, possibly until the Hungerford shootings.

We had nothing at school but a friend was in a rifle and revolver club and kept his weapon at home.

Mrs B has family in Harborne, Birmingham. The estate's community centre had an indoor rifle range. There were signposts to one in the basement of a government building I worked in the the nineties though by then it had been taken over for file storage. POssibly a WWII legacy along with the shelters.
 The Queen - sooty123
Possibly a WWII legacy along with the shelters.
>>

No doubt the millions of people now familiar with firearms after WW2, they weren't seen as anything other than routine bits of kit to use/have possession of.
 The Queen - Ted

>> Up until the 60/70s I think some boarding schools had their own armoury.
>>
I went to a state Grammar School until 1963. We had an armoury, attached to the main hall. The school cadet corps had been long disbanded, so I guess it was empty by then.
I never saw it open.

Ted
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> I went to a state Grammar School until 1963.

Thinking some more I'm not sure that my state Grammar School, 71-78, didn't have an area previously used for shooting.
 The Queen - Zero

>> Thinking some more I'm not sure that my state Grammar School, 71-78, didn't have an
>> area previously used for shooting.

I went to an Essex comprehensive school. We didn't have a club or armoury, I think the idea of giving the offspring of relocated east end criminals access to weapons was considered not prudent.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Was it exclusively for the offspring of relocated criminals then? How did you qualify?
 The Queen - Zero
It wasn't a prerequisite, but it appeared to be an underlying thread.
 The Queen - Crankcase
We too had a rifle range thingy. I was in the RAF section of the CCF. After one go on the range and some marching I thought blow that malarkey for a game of soldier boys, and got permission to film everyone else doing such stuff every Wednesday afternoon for a year instead
 The Queen - Clk Sec
>> Quite right. I qualified as one when I was in the Cadet Corp. I seem
>> to remember the badge was a rifle with a crown above.

I didn't qualify with the .303, despite a number or annual visits to the rifle range, but later achieved the required grouping when the SLR became available.

Crossed rifles on the left sleeve of my various uniforms.
 The Queen - smokie
My (public) school CCF had an armoury, reached through the tuck box room :-). It was pretty secure though, and had a lot of .22 and .303 rifles, and the odd Bren IIRC.

We had a .22 range at the school (and there still is) and used to go fairly frequently to Army ranges at Rainham marshes to shoot at targets. Always quite good fun I recall. Apparently the ranges are an RSPB place now www.derelictplaces.co.uk/threads/rainham-marshes-firing-range.18881/

Funnily enough only last week I was recounting with some school friends some of the rugby songs we used to sing in the back of the Army truck which ferried us around!!Definitely NSFW!!
 The Queen - Fullchat
Why can I now subliminally hear the sound and words of the 'Engineers Song' ? :)
 The Queen - Lygonos
>>rugby songs we used to sing

Did one have a fairy light on, to show you the way?
 The Queen - smokie
Yes, both of the above :-)
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Went on various summer and weekend camps to Pirbright, Thetford, Otteburn and Okehampton.

Enjoyed rifle shooting and later joined a rifle club for a number of years.

Used to enjoy being down the butts signalling hits on target with a pointer. White, wave, twist up and down for bull,inner magpie and outer I think. Can’t imagine fifteen year olds being allowed to do that with bullets whistling overhead these days.

The Queen - Zero
Used to be invited to the Honourable Artillery Company pavilion at Bisley quite a few times. They had an armoury down there and got to shoot a wide variety of weapons, never got my hands on anything fully automatic tho.

I was a crap shot as it happens.

As an aside in the 30s they had international competitions down there, where a hundred thousand people would turn up to watch, there was even a railway line into the camp with special trains. Bisley used to be part of "The Season" at one point..
 The Queen - CGNorwich
A Bren gun was good to fire. Gets extremely hot and as it does becomes less accurate. Cooling method is by changing barrels
 The Queen - sooty123
I did a range day that had a modern version of an mg42, got through a 50 round belt in no time at all. Kicks like hell though.
 The Queen - Rudedog
Not sure why we won't in time find out what the reason was, as far as I'm aware we know what her father and other recent kings died of i.e strokes/cancer probably brought on by their smoking.

Ultimately heart failure is the cause of death... once it stops (for whatever reason) there's no coming back.
 The Queen - Ted

>> Ultimately heart failure is the cause of death... once it stops (for whatever reason) there's
>> no coming back.
>>
>>

Used to be the case. A year ago one of my best friends collapsed in the kitchen of his home in the Eden Valley. Miles from anywhere..His wife rang the couple across the river, retired GPs, they rushed round and the three of them brought him back. The helicopter couldn't land and he was taken to Carlisle by ambulance which had to come 14 miles to get to the house....no Mway. Veggie non-smoker, active ex dentist, de-fib on wall of house and first responder. Lucky guy.

OK now driving and enjoying life as usual !

Ted
Ahem...

"... heart failure is the cause of death..."

Actually, no. Heart failure is a condition in which the heart is not fully functioning. There are several stages of severity. I had a friend who lived with it for years.

The heart stopping beating is referred to as "cardiac arrest".
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> Actually, no. Heart failure is a condition in which the heart is not fully functioning.
>> There are several stages of severity. I had a friend who lived with it for
>> years.

My mother lived with a failing heart for her last few years. It was watching them try and take blood during her final hospital stay that brought home just how poor the pump's performance was.

>> The heart stopping beating is referred to as "cardiac arrest".

Even when you're well over 90 and it's just given up the ghost?
 The Queen - Manatee

>> Ultimately heart failure is the cause of death... once it stops (for whatever reason) there's
>> no coming back.
>>

I had heart failure for a couple of years and I'm still here. I suppose you mean cardiac arrest.

As a medical man, you'll know what I mean. The distinction matters because a lot of people are told they have heart failure every day.
 The Queen - sooty123
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62941422

List of who's in the procession.
 The Queen - sooty123
For those that watched the funeral, anyone know who was sat behind Kier Starmer? Chap with a beard, glasses and half a dozen or so medals.
 The Queen - Zero
Thought the Navy ratings looked very smart and well in step in a non overdressed blingy way.

Harry looked visibly pained that he was unable to salute as they passed the cenotaph.
 The Queen - Zero
I wonder how much her Sun Life funeral plan was to pay for this lot. Still the free pen came in handy
 The Queen - legacylad
>> Still the free pen came in handy
>>
Charlie boy preferred to use his own and told his minion to move it away.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 19 Sep 22 at 13:50
 The Queen - henry k
>> Harry looked visibly pained that he was unable to salute as they passed the cenotaph.
>>
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11224081/Prince-Harry-heartbroken-Queens-ER-initials-stripped-shoulder-military-uniform.html

More delay to update his moaning book ?
 The Queen - Terry
They really are behaving like spoilt 7 year olds.

Harry, I think is fundamentally a decent individual, incapable of independent action but reliant upon a very flawed Meghan

Andrew is just unpleasant, although fortunately he doesn't perspire as normal people. He is anyway a royal, not a normal person.
 The Queen - zippy
>> Harry, I think is fundamentally a decent individual, incapable of independent action but reliant >>upon a very flawed Meghan
>>

I'd agree with that. He seems like a good guy and that photo of him wearing a swastika was a foolish aberration.

I think in a different life, he would have spent most of it in the forces and would have been totally happy and content with that.
 The Queen - smokie
Well done to everyone involved in the organisation and execution of the day. I've not watched a lot of it but what I did see was well arranged and seemed to go without a hitch. It made SWMBO blub a lot so she's happy... sort of...

Don't we do this stuff well?

Also whatever the spooks did behind-the-scenes security to prevent any major nutter incident seems to have worked, well done them.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 19 Sep 22 at 18:00
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Had my COVID booster vax at 12.15. No queues and streets strangely quiet. Few places open in the City but did find my favourite cafe was.
 The Queen - legacylad
Quiet in the Dales, although quite a few bikers out and about.

My favourite local closed....was planning on meeting friends there early doors for a few scoops as my 7pm Pilates class was cancelled.
 The Queen - Clk Sec
>> Had my COVID booster vax at 12.15.

Presumably Covid booster only, followed by a Flu jab at a later date?

We are due to have ours next week.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Yes flu at the end of October.
 The Queen - Clk Sec
>> Yes flu at the end of October.

Thanks, CGN.
 The Queen - Zero
Had my flu jab on Saturday, COVID booster booked in October
 The Queen - smokie
Had both last Friday. Boots for the flu (booked ages ago) and local (now closed) library for the Moderna booster (booked only two days prior, pretty much as soon as announced). I was keen to get them before going off to Portugal again for 6 weeks next week.
 The Queen - henry k
>> Had both last Friday.
>>
I went for my booster last Wednesday and they offered me a flu jab too so I had two arms done.
Late afternoon I felt tired and had to have a nap which was for a few hours.
I woke up and was fine.
I have never had any reaction to any of the jabs before so i suspect it was either the flu jab or the combination of the two.
I only ever nap outside hours when ill so thank goodness I had no other effects.
After such a nap I cannot sleep at my regular time so I stayed awake until 3:30
All was back to normal by wake up time.
>>
>>
>> Also whatever the spooks did behind-the-scenes security to prevent any major nutter incident seems to
>> have worked, well done them.
>>

It was probably the safest place in the world to be today from the risk of a terrorist or nutter attack. I doubt if anyone was more than twenty or thirty yards away from a Glock or a Smith & Wesson with plenty of more lethal firepower available nearby and cameras scanning the crowd for anyone who looked out of place.

Terrorists go for soft targets when nobody is expecting it.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Mon 19 Sep 22 at 19:32
 The Queen - legacylad
Home after several hours getting stressed at mothers..pub closed, thought I’d watch some telly.
Beer & pizza at home
Out of respect, CH4 aren’t running adverts. Really. What’s that all about.
 The Queen - Rudedog
Not just C4, looks like like most of the channels including Sky.
 The Queen - zippy
>>
>> Terrorists go for soft targets when nobody is expecting it.
>>

A little amendment....

Cowards that they are, >>terrorists go for soft targets when nobody is expecting it.<<
 The Queen - Zero

>> Also whatever the spooks did behind-the-scenes security to prevent any major nutter incident seems to
>> have worked, well done them.

Some not so behind the scenes, I noticed a few dressed in flunkies outfits in the mix, you can tell their eyes are everywhere.
 The Queen - Fullchat
There's another visible way you can identify but if I told you Id have to arrange your disappearance :)
 The Queen - zippy
>> There's another visible way you can identify but if I told you Id have to
>> arrange your disappearance :)
>>

My guess is the small curly wire going in to their ear.
 The Queen - smokie
In searching for the "other visible way" I came across this interesting YouTube here of a whirl through London from inside the lead Royal car. They seem to take a fairly roundabout route.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZ7hhREZhI

If you skip to 23:24 there is a sped-up version which might cause motion sickness in some but it really does show the coordination involved in moving the Royals around.
 The Queen - smokie
Is the "other visible way"... fake Arms - www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/bizarre-detail-spotted-in-king-charles-bodyguards-goes-viral/news-story/e1b7c0cc0cb3a55acfa2008ffc849189

I mentioned previously about the expired MOT on the black Range Rover MYT1, the number belonging to a VW Caravelle. MYT2 was out too today - the MOT site thinks both are VW Caravelles, first registered in April 2015 with expired MOTs.
 The Queen - Zero
It used to be the coily wire in the ear, now they wear wireless ear wigs
 The Queen - Zero
It used to be the coily wire in the ear, now they wear wireless ear wigs
 The Queen - zippy
When I did a search on those plates earlier I got a "vehicle does not exist" then the site would not respond.

Spooks watching everything :-D
 The Queen - Ted

>> I mentioned previously about the expired MOT on the black Range Rover MYT1, the number
>> belonging to a VW Caravelle. MYT2 was out too today - the MOT site thinks
>> both are VW Caravelles, first registered in April 2015 with expired MOTs.
>>

When I put MYT ! into the DVLA site, I get " vehicle details not known ". Same with MYT 2 , The Princess Anne hijack car NGN 1 and the Queen's Landrover A444 RYV. There's a picture of HMtQ driving MYT 1...It's a Cresta Estate..1960ish.

Askmid shows NGN 1 as insured but on a Jaguar XJ. Still not recognised on DVLA. A law unto themselves.I suppose the Monarch can put any no. on his car. Come on, Chas, my own plate is **CFR.......Charles for Regent....make me an offer !

Ted
 The Queen - smokie
Weird the MYTs are both still showing as VWs to me.
 The Queen - Fullchat
That takes me back a few years:

Path of least resistance
Maintain a sterile area at all times
Slow and smooth is fast.

Sometimes it doesn't go quite to plan:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkjxUQUP38E
 The Queen - Fullchat
"My guess is the small curly wire going in to their ear."

Nope :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 20 Sep 22 at 00:07
 The Queen - Rudedog
Wife showed me a picture of the guards with the 'fake hands'.... I just laughed.. bit like Rod Hull and Emu!
 The Queen - Fullchat
Well Id not seen that one. :)

You'll probable find that their elbow is resting on their firearm and their hand is close to the the jacket so they can pull it aside before drawing the weapon. And keep the jacket from blowing open. From that you would be able to deduce that they are right or left handed.
 The Queen - Rudedog
To be honest the picture had their right hand outside of the jacket but this was a low-res picture seen on an iPad and I wasn't convinced.... apart from maybe the colour of the skin that was a bit 'off'.
 The Queen - DeeW
Re no ER on his epaulettes, remember that is the Daily Mail reporting. He didn’t have the ER flashes when he got married, either.
The ER signifies you are employed/working directly for the Monarch. He wasn’t when he got married and, obviously, wasn’t recently.
From today's Times -

"Olga Skabeyeva, a presenter known as the Iron Doll, said during one current affairs programme that the Kremlin should have launched a nuclear attack on Britain to coincide with the funeral. “All the best people were there,” she said. The pro-Putin politician Andrey Gurulyov told viewers that Britain was the “root of all evil” and urged the president to use nuclear weapons to turn it into a “Martian desert”.
 The Queen - Fullchat
May sound somewhat controversial and a bit conspiracy theorist. There is some speculation on social media - not that is any recommendation but I'll put it to the panel. You may even ask why would they? I'd ask the same.

But watching the pall bearers yesterday there were some moments that the coffin did not look as heavy as suggested. It was supposedly constructed about 30 years ago of dense oak and also was lead lined. Weight was suggested to be 250kg to 317kg thats upwards of 1/4 ton Not substantiated. The coffin did appear substantially longer than her height. (Maybe to faciliate 8 bearers) Her Majesty would have weighed little.

When they were moving the coffin in Scotland the pall bearers looked like the were working hard with sweaty brows.

However in London the coffin looked to be lifted and lowered from and to the waist position with relative ease. At one point one of the bearers removed a hand thereby supporting with only one hand. That is the point of maximum weight strain.

Yes there were 8 soldiers,undoubtedly in good physical shape. Normal funerals generally manage with 4/6 and service funerals I have managed have had 6 and you can see the effort required.

Having said all that they did a magnificent job.

Leave it with you I'm off to line the walls with aluminum foil.

inews.co.uk/news/the-queen-coffin-why-lead-lined-how-much-weigh-royal-tradition-explained-1865019

The Queen - zippy
I love conspiracy theories; I don't subscribe to them though (well perhaps some :-D )

This one, I don't care about. If the coffin was empty, then fine, I will accept it as a symbol representing Her Majesty.

Logistically speaking, a dead body, even in a lead lined coffin, is going to get rather unpleasant.

I think the services including the blue light services, did a fantastic job in sending her off.

Last edited by: zippy on Tue 20 Sep 22 at 21:42
 The Queen - henry k
Queen Elizabeth II statue in Trafalgar Square gets MPs' support

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62995442

MPs shouted "hear, hear" when former minister Sir John Hayes floated the idea earlier.
The Tory MP said Queen Elizabeth II, who died aged 96 on 8 September, deserved a "fitting national memorial".
He added: "For me, a statue on the final plinth on Trafalgar Square would be ideal."

They must be joking !! Cheapskates !
After all the rubbish that has been parked on that plinth ?.
If they are going to create a statue then it should on a new plinth in a much better suitable location.

The Queen - Ted

Totally agree with Henry. Should be something like a modern Albert Memorial somewhere uncluttered by buildings.

Queen Elizabeth 2 memorial park ?

Ted
 The Queen - zippy
If it's going to be done it should be done properly.

The 4th plinth is great for transient art, some good, some interesting and some bad and it should stay like that.

I was horrified by my last visit to Trafalgar Square (earlier this year). The place had become too noisy with "street artists" playing loud bass music for donations via card machines.

It used to be a pleasant place to relax and watch the world go by whilst waiting for a train at Charring Cross.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Why do we need a statue?
>> Why do we need a statue?
>>

So people can pull it down after the monarchy is abolished.
 The Queen - CGNorwich
Fair enough. I guess the pigeons have to roost somewhere too.
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
News today is that she died at 15:10, 3hrs 20mins before news was released and that the cause was old age.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/29/queen-elizabeth-died-of-old-age-death-certificate-says
 The Queen - Biggles
Is the 3 hours and 20 min an issue for you?
 The Queen - Bromptonaut
>> Is the 3 hours and 20 min an issue for you?

No, not really.

Just interesting how news is managed and for what reasons.
>>
>>
>> No, not really.
>>
>> Just interesting how news is managed and for what reasons.
>>

I think the media were asked to hold back till the family had gathered. Does make me wonder if any of the foreign news outlets ignored that went ahead as soon as they heard.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 29 Sep 22 at 21:01
 The Queen - Rudedog
I still think that might have coincided with the 'note passing' and 'huddles' that went on in the HoC with PM 's hurriedly leaving their seats around that time.

The Queen - smokie
I realise they've all been rehearsed for ages but the media are quite important in this kind of event and I expect they needed to be given a little time to gear up - get the right presenters in the right attire etc. Probably all kinds of other stuff to put in place before going public, in many places - step up security springs to mind. I doubt that's the sole reason though.
 The Queen - R.P.
PM 's hurriedly leaving their seats around that time.

I thought there was a serious turn of events in the Ukraine.
 The Queen - Biggles
As the Queen was the head of state of thirteen other countries, I suspect their governments had to be informed before any public announcement, not to mention the family members.
Latest Forum Posts