Non-motoring > Air Fryers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 73

Air Fryers - Zero
BBC did a report, suggesting Air Fryers use 1/2 to 2/3rds less power than a fan oven.

Cooking reports suggest the food tastes good too. There seems to be a few types (drawers/bowls/flap down door)

Whos got one, wot you got, is it any good
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Sep 22 at 15:34
 Air Fryers - sooty123
I've just started using one, they heat up fast 190c in 3 mins. I think you need to turn them down a bit either time or temp wise to get like for like comparison to a fan oven. Instead of 200c, 190 possibly even 180c is about right.

Ours is a fryer type drawer that you pull out, looks like a frying basket.

Downsides it is quite a small basket.

Only used it about 4 or 5 times so far, cooks salmon from frozen in no time at all, no issues at all with it.

You can bake desserts in there, not done that yet. I think you can use it as a small proving drawer as well.

They can be a bit bigger than you think, it's quite tall if you want to put it in a cupboard after use.
 Air Fryers - CGNorwich
Destined to go the same way as yogurt makers, spiralisers, liquidisers, paninini toasters , pasta makers and coffee percolators.
 Air Fryers - sooty123
I was waiting for someone to say that.
 Air Fryers - CGNorwich
>> I was waiting for someone to say that.
>>

Oh and I forgot sodastreams, that staple of charity shops everywhere.
 Air Fryers - sooty123
I can say I've none on that list (or previously owned), I'm not really sure what a spiriliser or liquidiser are. Perhaps i should spend more time in charity shops.
 Air Fryers - Bromptonaut
>> I can say I've none on that list (or previously owned), I'm not really sure
>> what a spiriliser or liquidiser are. Perhaps i should spend more time in charity shops.

A liquidiser, otherwise known as a blender, is still extant in many kitchens.

It chops up solid items like say veg in a soup to produce a consistent texture.

Smoothies are another blender product.

My Mother had a Moulinex liquidiser, with a plastic blending jug, in the sixties. The jug separated from its motor unit for washing and the motor could also drive a grinder suitable for coffee, peppercorns or breadcrumbs.

Modern blenders tend to be handheld with the blender/whisk immersed in any suitable vessel such as a pan.
 Air Fryers - car4play
Actually with the glut of courgettes we got the spiraliser has been out in full force lately.

FYI it makes courgetti, AKA low-carb spaghetti
 Air Fryers - Zero
>> Destined to go the same way as yogurt makers, spiralisers, liquidisers, paninini toasters , pasta
>> makers and
Microwaves & coffee percolators.
>>
 Air Fryers - Bobby
Got an Actifry. Can use it with or without the paddle in it. Paddle for things like chips that you want to constantly turn. Without for things like chicken sausages etc that would maybe break up with constantly getting turned.
Use it more and more as is quick, not messy and bowl etc is dishwasher safe.

Downside is it is quite noisy but apparently a lot quieter than the big Ninja things.

As with many kitchen appliances, an infinite number of uses but pretty much used for the same things time after time in our house.
 Air Fryers - CGNorwich
Still using your yogurt maker then. Microwaves are interesting. The magic machine of the eighties. Barely use ours apart from warming plates and cooking porridge. Does anyone cook proper meals in them ?
 Air Fryers - Bromptonaut
>>Microwaves are interesting. The magic machine of the eighties.
>> Barely use ours apart from warming plates and cooking porridge. Does anyone cook proper meals in them ?

We use ours mainly for defrosting and warming plates. Gave up trying to heat mugs of soup as too much faff.

Fish cooks well in a microwave. Used to do trout in them but these days its mostly sorting out the smoked haddock for my signature dish - kedgeree.

Good for Staffordshire Oatcakes and grated cheese - cheese melts better than under a grill.

Baked potatoes can be speeded up but need time in the oven to crisp them. Our fitted kitchen includes a combi microwave/fan oven so just a question of changing the cook type.

When the kids were babies the microwave, then a worktop standalone, was good for both sterilising and warming bottles. Ours went pop when The Lad was about 6 weeks. Failed at lunch time and new one was up/running by 4pm.

Daughter has found it best way of sterilising bottles; like us she and her husband found a splash of Milton ruined clothes.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 5 Sep 22 at 17:15
 Air Fryers - Bobby
Too much faff to heat soup in microwave?

We do it all the time. 2 min 30sec and it’s ready. Every time
 Air Fryers - Zero
I used to heat soup in the microwave

Now we have a soup maker........
 Air Fryers - Zero
Looks like I am late to the party. Lots of retailers are out of stock.
 Air Fryers - Clk Sec
>> Looks like I am late to the party. Lots of retailers are out of stock.

Same with the tumble dryer we bought a while back. Waited around three months.
 Air Fryers - smokie
What, like in my post of 29 Aug?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=30126&m=651174

:-)
 Air Fryers - bathtub tom
>> >> Destined to go the same way as yogurt makers, spiralisers, liquidisers, paninini toasters ,
>> pasta
>> >> makers and
Microwaves & coffee percolators.

Foot spas and bread makers?
 Air Fryers - Clk Sec
>> and bread makers?

We've been using bread makers for the best part of two decades. Wouldn't be without one.
 Air Fryers - Dog
>>We've been using bread makers for the best part of two decades. Wouldn't be without one.

Same 'ere, haven't eaten shop bread for 20 years. On my 2nd Pana machine, make 100 purr scent wholemeal.

Usually use Stoate's flour, but bought a LARGE sack of Shipton's when the war started. Justin Case.
 Air Fryers - Zero
I think bread kneads some love, so I make it the traditional manual way.
 Air Fryers - CGNorwich
It also needs a degree of expertise and a fair amount of time. Lucky enough to have a small family baker nearby so just buy a few loaves and put them in the freezer.

Don’t actually eat much bread these days. Like for many I suspect bread has gone from being an absolute essential to a small part of my diet.
 Air Fryers - Zero
Mine has gone from boring bread to many different types and styles of bread.
 Air Fryers - Dog
Esme bread: www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/52338495951/in/datetaken-public/

Made with a Panasonic SD2500 bread machine - to perfection.

Air Fryers - Crankcase
P1000889, Dog?
 Air Fryers - Dog
>>P1000889, Dog?

Huh?
 Air Fryers - Crankcase
Oh, sorry, assumed you'd know.

Is the photo in your Flickr album with that number, you?
 Air Fryers - Dog
Sorry Cc, I haven't used Flickr for years. Yes, that was me ... 10 years ago!
 Air Fryers - Crankcase
>> Sorry Cc, I haven't used Flickr for years. Yes, that was me ... 10 years
>> ago!

It's a fantastic picture. Should have been an album cover for The Tull or perhaps Gryphon.

I'd go and listen now, but I'm halfway through an album by The Left Banke.
 Air Fryers - Dog
>>It's a fantastic picture. Should have been an album cover for The Tull or perhaps Gryphon.

>>I'd go and listen now, but I'm halfway through an album by The Left Banke.

I replied to this post last nite, but it appears to have vanished for some reason?
 Air Fryers - Crankcase

>> I replied to this post last nite, but it appears to have vanished for some
>> reason?

Well, who knows. All I can say is that other than that "ballerina" track they had some sort of hit with, The Left Banke doesn't have much to offer.
 Air Fryers - Dog
>>All I can say is that other than that "ballerina" track they had some sort of hit with, The Left Banke doesn't have much to offer.

The memsahib didn't think much of them. I've stuck it in my faves for further appraisal.

This was my offering: www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0gL75ptUto
 Air Fryers - car4play
>> sooty123

Username checks out. Best avoid ;-)
 Air Fryers - sooty123
>> >> sooty123
>>
>> Username checks out. Best avoid ;-)
>>

Quoi?
 Air Fryers - Dog
I've been Czeching 'em on Amazon etc. but not Shure what one to gofer.

Main reason for getting one is to save on leccy. It has to cook a 1.5kg chicken, sausages, bacon, oven chips.

We live well down 'ere in godforsaken Cornwall.

I lean towards the Cosori 5.5L job @ £100 - out-of-stock on Amazon.

I know they are TALL, but he'll live on the hob. Noise, well, my extractor fan is noisy too.
 Air Fryers - legacylad
Can you put a pizza in them, or warm up curry left overs ?
Not as the same time. Obviously.
I can be a food animal after beer, but even so.....
 Air Fryers - Zero
Apparently yes
 Air Fryers - Robin O'Reliant
We bought a Dewoo for fifty quid this year, large capacity with baskets to let you cook multiple foods and an extention that fits on top if you want to cook a large joint.

Everything we've used it for up tp now has tasted much better and they are brilliant for chips. Very far from being a five minute wonder.
 Air Fryers - zippy
We have one of the Ninja jobbies with two draws, so different things can cook with different timings.

Draws are deep, but not very wide.

It's really great for snacks or for things where putting the main oven on would be a total waste energy and it does chips brilliantly.

You have to give the draws a shake halfway through the cook to get a nice even crisp.
 Air Fryers - Fullchat
Ironically we spotted a small one - Tower at £25 in B&M a couple of hours ago. So we'll give it a try.
A few chips loaded up. I nip outside. "Its blown a fuse" says Mrs FC. Investigation reveals a 7 AMP fuse. Yeah I've got loads of those :/ Not even Screwfix or Toolstation lists them.
OK it 10AMP and see what develops :O.
Well what develops was a flash and bang from behind the controls. So its going back.

There endeth the first lesson. :)
 Air Fryers - Dog
LOL
 Air Fryers - Ted

We were bought a Ninja by eldest daughter two Chrimbos ago. I know not how to use it. As well as all the other stuff, it can be a pressure cooker.

It seems to me that the best time to use it, or the liquidiser, it at 1 pm when I have just sat down with a sandwich to watch the news

I say 'watch' because there's no chance of hearing it with either of those two engines of the Devil running ! Tank de lord for subtitles !

Ted
 Air Fryers - Zero

>> OK it 10AMP and see what develops :O.
>> Well what develops was a flash and bang from behind the controls.

Its called the RDF. The rapid diagnostic fuse.
 Air Fryers - smokie
Birmingham daughter has a Ninja 15-in-1. I've no idea how many of the 15 she has use, or even what they all are, but she uses it for the two of them most of the time now apparently.

Local daughter has the Ninja 9-in-1 which is with s. SWMBO said it is a great slow cooker (but we already have one), it fries stuff fairly well (though insufficient space for chips for 3 greedies).

In fact that's maybe the problem, it isn't huge. But as said above it takes quite a bit of space (and the 9-in-1 has a separate lid for pressure cooking).

With a microwave, halogen, electric oven and induction hob I think we will just use the "loaner" until it goes but not replace it.
 Air Fryers - CGNorwich
If you really want to be “on trend” and impress your dinner party guests you need a sous vide.

Air Fryers - Zero
Pfftt Boil in the bag.
 Air Fryers - CGNorwich
Yes but it’s got a French name so sure to impress. You can’t get by on Mastechef without using one.
 Air Fryers - Kevin
M e r d e !
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 6 Sep 22 at 12:25
 Air Fryers - Robbie34
I have recently bought an Instant Pot Vortex 4 in 1 air fryer. Amazon had it on offer for £59 instyead of the usual £99, and it is a Which? best buy.
Certainly, it won't go the way of useless gadgets. It's brilliant, and chicken is cooked in record time and tastes delicious. I find chicken to be very bland when cooked in a standard gas oven, but is totally different in the Vortex.
The air fry basket is quite big at 5.7 litres. It will hold a medium size chicken that many air fryers can't. I live alone so I cut the chicken in half, season it and set the air fryer. It heats up in a few minutes and you then put in your food.
You can cook almost anything in an air fryer, and chips come out well.
I also have a Panasonic bread maker and use it regularly. The Panasonic Induction micro-wave is another brilliant machine that does a multitude of things - not just to defrost or heat up.

Air Fryers - Clk Sec
>> I have recently bought an Instant Pot Vortex 4 in 1 air fryer. Amazon
>> had it on offer for £59 instyead of the usual £99, and it is a
>> Which? best buy.

Mrs CS is looking to buy an air fryer, so I've bookmarked the Vortex.

It's currently £99.99 on on Amazon.

Air Fryers - CGNorwich
Just a small point. Air fryers are misnamed. They don’t of course fry anything. They bake like an oven.
 Air Fryers - Zero
Well I think this thread outlines what I had already grasped. Everyone who has an Air fryer thinks they are the dog danglies. (despite the fact they dont fry in the air)

Going to get one, just a matter of what type and size.
 Air Fryers - VxFan
Isn't this a bit like Boris telling you to buy a new kettle to save money?

How long will it take before you break even?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Sep 22 at 20:08
 Air Fryers - Dog
>>How long will it take before you break even?

It's not all about the money, I ordered one today, and I'll use it to cook food that's normally done in the oven.

They are basically small fan ovens - proven to use less energy than the BIG oven.
 Air Fryers - Ateca chris
Zero
look at Very, they have various makes and models in stock. We bought a 7 litre tower model couple weeks ago its great.
 Air Fryers - bathtub tom
Dare I mention LIDL are selling one from Sunday 11th for fifty quid?

www.lidl.co.uk/en/online-leaflets/08-09-14-09-lidl-weekly-b0bcc9/view/flyer/page/18

Also, just seen one in my local B&M.

I'll keep below the parapet for now!
 Air Fryers - CGNorwich
Lidl and B & M

Let’s hope no one saw you.
 Air Fryers - bathtub tom
Whisper it softly, had lunch in 'spoons.
 Air Fryers - Kevin
At the mention of 'spoons, where's Duncan?
 Air Fryers - Dog
And henry k.
 Air Fryers - Bromptonaut
Duncan's not visited the site since early August.

Henry k was in yesterday but hasn't posted for a week or two.
 Air Fryers - Robbie34
The LIDL air fryer basket is too small at 2.5 litres. It will only hold a portion of chips and you couldn't cook a whole, or even half a chicken.
You need to buy one with a decent sized basket. My Vortex has a 5.7 litre basket and will hold a medium size chicken.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Thu 8 Sep 22 at 12:24
 Air Fryers - sooty123
5.7 L, that must be pretty big?
 Air Fryers - tyrednemotional
>> 5.7 L, that must be pretty big?
>>

...big enough for a Chevy Camaro or a Dodge Ram.... ;-)
 Air Fryers - Zero
>> >> 5.7 L, that must be pretty big?
>> >>
>>
>> ...big enough for a Chevy Camaro or a Dodge Ram.... ;-)

And Like them, Misleading. 5.7 litres is not big. All of the volume in the basket is not useable.
 Air Fryers - CGNorwich
It will only hold a portion of chips

Lidl know their market. :-)
 Air Fryers - VxFan
>> and will hold a medium size chicken.

I hope you're not egg-aggerating.
 Air Fryers - Bobby
My missus got me one of those big Aldi Kamado egg BBQ thingies.

Have done a couple of full chickens in it already. Don’t think I’ll cook them any other way now!
 Air Fryers - Zero
Ok my Machine of choice is this www.lakeland.co.uk/26920/lakeland-dual-basket-air-fryer
(maybe some stock in November!!!)

or
www.lakeland.co.uk/26873/instant-vortex-plus-dual-drawer-air-fryer-with-clearcook

Available? who knows.

Rarer than rocking horse manure - All thats available are the useless ones
 Air Fryers - sooty123
None at costco?
 Air Fryers - Zero
Out of stock
 Air Fryers - Robbie34
The Lakeland is the better buy. One large basket so you could cook a joint or chicken and chips or roast potatoes. This seems to be the only air fryer that offers this.
 Air Fryers - Robbie34
This air fryer at Amazon looks good. A friend in FRance has one and says it's great.
www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-T17039-Rotisserie-Circulation-Technology/dp/B07WZVCRLM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=386KIYEYG70BT&keywords=air%2Bfryers&qid=1662666116&s=kitchen&sprefix=%2Ckitchen%2C59&sr=1-3&th=1
 Air Fryers - Dog
Well (better than so!) I bought a Cosori 5.5ltr air fryer and have been using it for the past week.

Cooked sausages, bacon, fish cakes, frozen oven chips, a whole chicken and roast potatoes.

All cooked up very well with no problems at all. I'll be using it all the time now and will hardly use the oven now.
Latest Forum Posts