Non-motoring > Vanishing Thread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 4

Vanishing Thread - Bromptonaut
I'd swear I've just answered question from Legacylad about benefits but now it's gone.

Have the mods hidden it for some reason?
 Vanishing Thread - R.P.
You did - he appreciates the help, he asked us to hide or remove the thread. Thanks for your help. No doubt he'll be along in a moment to explain.
 Vanishing Thread - legacylad
Yes. Thanks Bromp, I anticipated you may reply with a helpful post.

I was just trying to ascertain which allowance my old mum receives from the DWP. People with Alzheimer’s can get Council Tax reductions if in receipt of certain allowances....I eventually got through to the relevant DWP Dept, and cross referenced the 4 weekly amount she receives with an amount quoted on the Attendance Allowance section within the website.

I’m now awaiting a claim form from Craven Council which will tell me if those in receipt of an Attendance Allowance qualify for a Council Tax reduction. I suspect not. Think it only those on other benefits such as Carers Allowance....I’m not sure of the difference between the two allowances as I visit her 5/7 days a week minimum, change and wash her bedding, clean out her fridge, and generally try to keep her home and small garden spick and span.

She has good cleaners on a fortnightly basis, but they won’t touch her fridge ( it’s often minging because she spills milk from the top shelf) and can’t spare her any more hours. I suppose it’s only payback time for when she wiped my arras as a nipper.
 Vanishing Thread - Bromptonaut
A person suffering severe mental impairment can be disregarded for Council Tax. This means that if they are the sole occupier then they are effectively exempt.

To get this one must first receive a qualifying benefit. Attendance Allowance is one of those benefits. They will also need a Doctor's Certificate confirming their Mental Impairment. Citizens Advice's page on the subject is here:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/council-tax/check-if-you-can-pay-less-council-tax/

There's a drop down for learning difficulties or severe mental impairment.

The .gov take on the same subject is here:

www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-disabled-people

Carer's Allowance is paid to people providing regular and substantial care to a person who is severely disabled - this means they, ie the person needing care, receives a qualifying benefit like Attendance Allowance (or PIP/DLA for working age folks or children respectively). The person claiming needs to provide Care for 35 hours a week:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/carers-allowance/

Carers Allowance overlaps with other income replacement benefits so it's not usually payable to a Carer who also gets (say) Retirement Pension.

If your Mother (a) lives alone*, (b) receives Attendance Allowance and (c) nobody receives Carer's Allowance for her then her 'Applicable Amount', were she to qualify for Pension Credit, would have a Severe Disability Premium of £69.40 added.

*the definition is a little more complicated but if your Mother is sole occupier that shouldbe enough.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 5 Sep 22 at 19:33
 Vanishing Thread - Lygonos
My old man was in receipt of Attendance Allowance as a result of dementia, and lived alone.

When we advised the local council and gave them a certificate showing his diagnosis made about 18 months earlier they refunded his council tax back to the date of diagnosis.

As Bromp says, if you live alone and are exempted (or if a husband and wife both have dementia) there is zero council tax to pay.

Latest Forum Posts