Non-motoring > Decluttering delights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 26

Decluttering delights - legacylad
Made a start a few weeks ago on my old mums house...her Alzheimer’s is slowly getting worse, and before the inevitable decided to crack on with it.
Her garage, which has a large mezzanine floor I built in it some 15 years ago, is now almost clear. I’ve found it quite therapeutic getting rid of stuff on Freecycle etc...

Most surprising thing I found was a wooden framed box which originally contained Player’s Airman cigarettes 24” x 15” x 15”. My mum had used it for linen some 50 years ago...it has the delivery address of the P.O. in Bradford where I was born...dated August 1953. Before my arrival. I was going to bin it, but may be of some use to a group who participate in these 50’s weekends.

Decluttered my own loft a few years ago...only remaining things are 3 pairs of old skis, a pair of snow shoes, several rucsacs of differing size and 4 ex charity shop empty suitcases which will come in handy on my next move.
 Decluttering delights - martin aston
They are asking £65 on fleabay for what I assume is the same thing. They might not achieve that but don’t underestimate what your stuff might be worth. I know it’s not your priority in the circumstances but the right charity shop might take it for sale.
 Decluttering delights - Zero
The box is of some value, if its in good nick it will make a ton at auction.
 Decluttering delights - zippy
>> The box is of some value, if its in good nick it will make a
>> ton at auction.
>>

I've just had a look at the similar one on eBay.

I would really like one for my (pipedream) den, so agree that an auction is likely a good bet or if you do take the charity shop route, at least let them know that it has some value at auction.

BTW, labels on these things add value so don't be tempted to remove any.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 4 Sep 22 at 18:21
Thanks zippy...I’m not tempted to remove any labels.

Next year the box is 70yo....I’m not a nostalgic person, but have great, albeit limited memories of my early years living above the shop as a nipper. My first job in Bradford meant that I drove past the old Post Office 6 days a week...an area full of back to back terraced houses.

Now demolished, the area is a scruffy dump, litter strewn pavements, almost third world. Never recovered after the Manningham riots of 1995. So sad to think the city I grew up, the wool capital of the world with wonderful architecture, has turned into a cess pit.

U.K. city of culture 2025 beckons....
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 4 Sep 22 at 23:19
 Decluttering delights - zippy
>>UK City of culture...

One can only wish that the influx of money (if any) gets spread fairly and helps improve the areas that need it most.

Then you read in the local rags areas that try to improve are dragged down again by mindless thugs on drugs that stab or rape to get their own way (this weeks news) and the authorities seem powerless to stop it, due to lack of investment in the police.

With such violence, it is no surprise that companies don't want to invest.
Blimey...£65 on EBay for a Players Navy Cut cigarette shipping crate.
Mine has the Airman cigarettes coloured label on the lid, with an address label ( the old P.O. where I lived) and is dated 13/08/1953.

Well worth mentioning on here....
>> Blimey...£65 on EBay for a Players Navy Cut cigarette shipping crate.
>> Mine has the Airman cigarettes coloured label on the lid, with an address label (
>> the old P.O. where I lived) and is dated 13/08/1953.
>
Put it on my local FB site....someone a few miles up the read messaged to say it was just what he wanted. Plenty of provenance...it’s 70yo next year....I named a price off the top of my head and away it went. No haggling, very pleasant chap and two happy parties.
£70.
Took my mum for her weekly lunch out...£22 for the two of us, so another two gratis lunches before I go to Spain.
 Decluttering delights - R.P.
Done a few bits of buying and selling on Market Place. Not had a negative experience. Best one was a Stressless chair in new condition - well worth the effort of driving to Newark to buy it. Probably around £40.00 worth fo fuel and a nice day out ! (just before fuel went balistic)
 Decluttering delights - Bobby
Would strongly suggest NOT taking the charity shop route. I would suggest the chances are 50/50 as to whether the charity would appreciate the value and ensure that their processes are in place to see that right through to sale.
If you want the charity to benefit, list it on eBay with all proceeds going direct to the charity. You won’t be charged any fees either if things are still the same as they were in my day.

And let the charity know to share the link on their social media sites.
 Decluttering delights - bathtub tom
Just got rid of an old fridge and even older freezer from the old house. SWMBO wanted me to take them to the tip, but got a fiver for the fridge and a tenner for the freezer on facebook. Should've asked more from the number of enquiries.
I spend half a day a week helping a local charity..work at the ( separate site) donation point.

Two of us sort clothes and bric a brac..rags, gender etc, whilst another 2 volunteers sort electrical items , jewellery and things of more value. They list them on local FB sites and Ebay the day they are donated. If folks want to donate larger items, we can arrange to take photos in situ, list them and arrange collection and delivery to their new home.

Happy to say that not a single person working for this charity receives any kind of wage. 100% unpaid volunteers.
 Decluttering delights - maltrap
Just received £50 for a shoebox full of clutter & various bits & bobs from "Vintage Cash Cow"
It was free, if you don't accept their offer they return the clutter to you. You can then decide what todo withh any profit. Give to charity etc.
 Decluttering delights - Ted

I'm doing some heavy de-cluttering atm....Including

1 1952 British motor car...running and in use.
1 1966 British motorcycle......should run ok.
1 2003 Touring caravan..17ft length. 2 berth.
Over 150 books on railway history including all 16 volumes of regional histories in mint order. This set has been seen for sale at over £1000........I wish !

Should leave a bit of spare space if they all go !
Now that's de-cluttering !

Ted
Don’t suppose you’ve got a ‘73 911 Targa you want rid of ? Or a Dino 246 GTS of the same era ?
>>1 1952 British motor car...running and in use.
>>1 1966 British motorcycle......should run ok.

The Jowett and LE?

The same two, Tom. I'll keep the little mirror you gave me. You get used to a mirror on the door.

Sorry Z, I have two Dinos going begging but they are blocked in by the broken down Veyron and Camargue. :-)

Ted
>>The same two, Tom. I'll keep the little mirror you gave me. You get used to a mirror on the >>door.

Glad to be of service, I won't even ask for a pint at 'spoons. I'd love to have the LE, but I don't bounce as well as I used to when I fall off.

I'm gonna treat myself to a flashback to aged 20. It was then I bought a nice little car with a cast iron, 4 pot in line block and OHV. Simples. It was a 12/50 Herald convertible. Wedgwood blue, white hood and tonneau. Carnaby era, man about town ! One owner, the actress Anne Reid. Had it a few years then chipped it in for a Super Minx convertible. Enjoyed them both. The Herald will keep me in the loop for shows next year without worrying about the frail alloy, wet liner engine.

Ted
We had a green Herald Estate when I was a nipper. EKW 212D.

Followed by a Simca 1100...JAK 642F, then two Hillman Hunter estates, then two Passat estates...PKY 888M and RWX 567R.

My last car , the Focus, was FHJ something. A bit worrying.

I can only remember that because I have a good pal called John, and when he does something daft we say “F H John”...
 Decluttering delights - Dog
>>Herald convertible. Wedgwood blue, white hood and tonneau

My first car was a blue Herald convertible with a white hood. 948cc lump which smoked like a trooper.

Cost me £30 + another 30 quid to get the chassis welded. Swapped it in for a cream Zephyr 4 mark 3 with leopard skin seat covers :)
As soon as I could afford it, I bought a Vitesse. 2 litre six pot with swing axles. Lethal in the hands of a young man, but somehow I survived.
 Decluttering delights - Dog
>>As soon as I could afford it, I bought a Vitesse. 2 litre six pot

Nice mota, tuned more-than a few of them ... to purrfection!
 Decluttering delights - MD
A Vitesse surely Teddy.
>> A Vitesse surely Teddy.
>>

Nice but the less under the bonnet better. Had enough of spannaz and sockets. Driven all sorts of exotica Nice bog standard 1300 will do for me. I might keep the RAV. Not worth much now ! Not many cars you can get a 9ft length of wood in and still shut the back door !

Might keep one of the Dinos...( watches Z going green !)

Ted
>> Not many cars you can get a 9ft length of wood in and still shut the back door !

Once got a 10'6" ladder in the back of an Austin Ambassador (just) and shut the tailgate.
 Decluttering delights - Pezzer
My first car also a 13/60 white convertible passed down from my Mum. Lethal round corners in the wet as it was so light at the back, especially in the hands of a 17 yo, it certainly taught me the basics of counter steering! Rotted away underneath, outriggers (?) I seem to recall. Happy days though.

My mother moved on to a lovely new metallic red Mk1 Golf which I was occasionaly allowed to take out for a thrash.
Latest Forum Posts