Non-motoring > Old King Coal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 3

Old King Coal - legacylad
Normally I buy 6 x 25kg bags of nuts...about £6 bag locally. Lasts me the winter...the short time I’m in the U.K. New regs mean that it is no longer sold in 25kg bags ( it’s not smokeless) but I’ve been told it can be bought by the hundredweight in unsealed bags.
Coal yard tried to sell me Supertherm @ £14.11. Price increasing 1st September.
I’ve sufficient mixed seasoned hardwoods to last me a few winters...
 Old King Coal - Dog
I bought 20 x 20kg bags of Maxibrite back in June for £193, all stashed away in the dry.

I've also got 20 nets of hardwood logs in one of my 4 man caves :)

I could burn 'king coal here as it's rural and no close neighbs, but it would mess my new stainless flue up.
 Log burners - Manatee
There's now talk of completely banning the burning of wood for heating from 2027. I'm pretty annoyed about this having just installed a nice stove at not inconsiderable cost. Very pleasant on some of those really cold nights and especially useful when the heating broke down for 10 days in November.

There's a real campaign going on, and I suspect it could be somewhat overdone. It's all about PM2.5's, and 'they' say one log burner emits as much PM2.5's as 750 HGV's.

I wonder if this is a bit of a red herring, because HGV's now have heavy duty DPF's and basically should emit any as compared with pre-DPF vehicles, and in practice very little. So maybe it's 750 x next to nothing, which might not be nothing, but a long way off multiple old-style HGV's.

I shall try to look into this. Intuitively it feels wrong. Humans have presumably evolved breathing wood smoke, right from the time they discovered fire. And they were using Ecodesign stoves, or even chimneys much of the time I imagine.

Log burners - Manatee
Looks as if it might be bollards, as I suspected. They basically don't produce anything like 750 x an HGV's worth

stoveindustryalliance.com/sia-responds-to-wood-burning-stove-and-hgv-emission-comparison/#:~:text=This%20is%20a%20much%20longer,5.

Some source says the HGV emits 750 x as much as a wood burner to produce 1GJ. What they don't mention is that an HGV produces quite a lot more GJ than a wood burner.

"In 1 hour an Ecodesign stove will emit 0.72g of PM2.5. In that time a Euro 6 HGV will have produced up to 4.3g of PM2.5".
Latest Forum Posts