Non-motoring > Youtube top performers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 16

Youtube top performers - Crankcase
Here is today's "old man shaking his fists at clouds" post.

So there I am, listening on Spotify to some Abba from 1979, and it shows how many plays the tracks have had. Looked like a lot. I did a little digging, discovered Abba are nowhere near the top of the tree in terms of plays. Those people that are, are people I know not of. I thought, therefore, I might be missing something I'd enjoy.

So that led me to this list of top videos on Youtube.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-viewed_YouTube_videos

I'll be honest, I've not heard any of these, nor indeed, most of the artists.

I tried to play the first few, but just not for me.

So, skipping the nursery rhymes, do you know this stuff? It's not just me, is it, I'm not the demographic. Right? Right?

Youtube top performers - CGNorwich
From the notes about No1 Baby Shark Dance.

In October 2020, two former detention officers and a supervisor at an Oklahoma County jail were charged with counts of misdemeanor cruelty to a prisoner and conspiracy for forcing inmates to listen to the song on a loop at loud volumes while standing and handcuffed for an extended period of time.
 Youtube top performers - Zero
And there's me with a mere 12.1 million views, not enough music maybe, here one of mine with some music I'm sure Crankers would like www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlayDF12ehI

I did read somewhere that the most played song (not YouTube vid or streamed) on earth is Africa by Toto

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY
 Youtube top performers - smokie
There's about three I could sing a bit of. I've heard of about a dozen of the artists but couldn't really tell you much about them.

I wouldn't imagine we are that unusual, for the age of our average reader here.
>> And there's me with a mere 12.1 million views, not enough music maybe, here one
>> of mine with some music I'm sure Crankers would like

Well, I know the little village of Title-Text-Here, with its church of Insert-Name down Invalid Prompt street. I did know the music too, though it's not my era at all, that eighties stuff. But at least I knew it.

Railway question; why does that train have a flashing red light at the back? It's not like anything is going to come up behind it, is it?

>> Railway question; why does that train have a flashing red light at the back? It's
>> not like anything is going to come up behind it, is it?

The railway rule book (in fact railway rule books all over the world) says the end of a train has to have a red light. Even when it was a very dim useless flickering oil lamp, Signalmen used to delight in sending a signal up the line to the next box to stop a train because its lamp had gone out making the train crew walk the length of the line to resolve it.

And yes, in sidings shunting and marshalling yards, there is nothing to stop trains meeting each other than visual acuity.
Interesting. I'd imagined it was all so tightly computer controlled that even in sidings etc something would stop that happening. I guess the advantage of a lamp is it's cheap and assuming it's working, works well.

As we're on music and trains, maybe there ought to be a playlist of "train" songs. I suspect there would be a lot of candidates.

I was listening to some twenties band music the other day - I was taken aback to discover they were playing the tune of "Casey Jones", with slightly different words. I only knew it from the fifties tv show. Clearly it's older than that!
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 24 Aug 22 at 09:06
On the whole, train songs tend to be pretty rubbish (except "Midnight train to Georgia which has nothing to do with a train)

These two IMHO are pretty good

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4tJSn0QtME&ab_channel=kuklinski987

Train or not, its a classic

and

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpmTi9iGn6o. Otis Gibbs. I hate most country and western music, except when it crosses over into bluegrass.

Oh last two, of course there is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up4WjdabA2c&ab_channel=ELOVEVO.

and

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIIJ7LXrDeg&ab_channel=SupertrampOfficial

(which sounds suspiciously like its got the soundtrack of a BR class 52 Western on it, possibly confirmed by the station announcement being western region)

and Oh Films and Tv

Of course, Carter gets a Train

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhisIT_CuQ8&ab_channel=MattFreeman

Believed to be a BR class 55 "Deltic" hauling a set of BR Mk2's up the east coast main line.

and what about Adam Chance?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrkCusW8EWA&ab_channel=11db11

Not getting senile Just sadder.

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 24 Aug 22 at 11:38
 Youtube top performers - Ted
>>
>> >> Railway question; why does that train have a flashing red light at the back?
>

This stems from early days of train safety. When wagons and coaches were connected to each other, and the engine, by three link chains. There was always a chance of a breakaway, particularly when changing gradient.

If a train passed a signal box without a rear lamp, lit or unlit, the signalman or 'bobby' had to assume that the train had split and would close the line down with the signals whilst informing the boxes either side of him of the situation by telegraph or, later, telephone.

There were many instances of a train running into loose rolling stock with fatal results in Victorian times. Modern stock is much more securely coupled.

Ted
 Youtube top performers - tyrednemotional
...have you hacked the playlist from my car, Cranky...?
You see, I'm so much happier with this. Genius.

youtu.be/DwDXzT7Im4I
 Youtube top performers - legacylad
Out of that list of 30 I only know 6 of the names.
 Youtube top performers - Robin O'Reliant
Wheels on the bus" and Baa baa black sheep are the only two I know.

The latter because everyone has heard it, the former because a woman on a bus was singing it to her son a few years ago and it has since turned into an annoying earworm that strikes whenever I'm already having difficulty getting to sleep.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 23 Aug 22 at 20:56
 Youtube top performers - Manatee
None of those is in my record/CD/online libraries. I have heard Baby Shark, at length, related to my having granddaughters of 5 & 7 years. Happily they quickly became bored with it.

I've heard of maybe half a dozen.

Not keen on the quirky thing downthread. I don't mind quirky but I like more of a narrative. I'm minded to give Velvet Donkey an outing now I've thought of it.

I'm sure you've all heard this one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yzXIsWq5Z4
 Youtube top performers - sooty123
> I'm sure you've all heard this one.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yzXIsWq5Z4
>>

No can't say i have.
I'd forgotten all about Ivor! Wow, that takes me back..ah. Grits. Red Rose. I can see I have a joyful morning of reacquaintance ahead.

Thanks Manatee!
Replying to my own; it's red flower, isn't it. Not rose. And gruts, not grits.

Getting senile.
Latest Forum Posts