Non-motoring > Broadband & Phone Renewal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 8

Broadband & Phone Renewal - Robin O'Reliant
My contract for broadband and anytime calls with Plusnet ends next month. Renewal is quoted at £31.99 per month, a quid up on what I pay now. A search has thrown up nothing better, but I wondered if anyone here knows of something cheaper that hasn't made the comparison sites?
 Broadband & Phone Renewal - bathtub tom
I've ben going through this. Back in June Plusnet weren't interested in negotiating, just wanting me to set up a new contract at a higher price (and more than new customers), so I walked. Unfortunately, straight into the arms of Shell. I've had nothing but trouble since. I know it's down to Open Reach, but it's Shell taking my money.
An email to Shell's CEO, finally produced results (I find that usually works) and they're letting me cancel the contract and waiving (not waivering as they spell it) the cancellation cost.

The final straw was when they said I couldn't retain my number when I moved and I would have to have a new number which would mean a new (higher price) contract. I pointed out I was working in the exchange that both properties are connected to when I retired and I knew of no reason I couldn't retain my number.

I'm going to Virgin, who say I should be able to keep my old number - what a surprise!
 Broadband & Phone Renewal - Zero
>> I've ben going through this. Back in June Plusnet weren't interested in negotiating, just wanting
>> me to set up a new contract at a higher price (and more than new
>> customers), so I walked. Unfortunately, straight into the arms of Shell.

Its rarely a good idea to walk into the arms of the cheapest, its an even worse idea to walk into the arms of a cheap start-up.
 Broadband & Phone Renewal - bathtub tom
>>I'm going to Virgin

Just received an email from them saying they can't meet the installation date they said was free and I've now got to wait another fortnight. Not promising!
 Broadband & Phone Renewal - Zero
>> My contract for broadband and anytime calls with Plusnet ends next month. Renewal is quoted
>> at £31.99 per month, a quid up on what I pay now.

Given that your increase is less than the cost of inflation, I see no reason to walk.
 Broadband & Phone Renewal - John Boy
>> Given that your increase is less than the cost of inflation, I see no reason
>> to walk.
>>
I'm with Plusnet and was paying £38.69 until recently when I removed Anytime Calls, bringing it down to £33.14. I answer the landline, but no longer make calls on it. I use my mobile instead - unlimited calls from Asda Mobile for £5/month. I've been with Plusnet for a long time and only had a few minor problems.
 Broadband & Phone Renewal - Robin O'Reliant
At the moment I'm paying £30.99 with anytime calls.
 Broadband & Phone Renewal - zippy
We are with Sky at the moment.

A few weeks ago we had a broadband (FTTC) outage.

I also know a few other local Sky customers also had an outage but other suppliers at the same exchange and cabinet did not.

It took until the next morning to be back up and a Sky engineer popped over to check.

He said that whilst the cable belongs to Openreach, the connecting equipment belongs to Sky (I cannot verify this). It is not unheard of for rivals cards to be "knocked accidently" and disconnected. Openreach are supposed to escalate problems but sometimes forget.
 Broadband & Phone Renewal - John Boy
>> At the moment I'm paying £30.99 with anytime calls.
>>
Given what I said above, you seem to be on a winner. If your service has been as reliable as mine, I wouldn't change IP just to save a few pounds.
Latest Forum Posts