Non-motoring > Hole in the ground Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 5

Hole in the ground - smokie
Bernard Cribbens dies age 93.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62330478

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JVnlB7Onk
 Hole in the ground - CGNorwich
Comic songs like that were once a regular feature of the hit parade. The records sold in huge numbers. Now seemingly gone forever.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 28 Jul 22 at 09:23
 Hole in the ground - smokie
I loved them as a kid, even though they were probably released a bit before my time I still remember the words to the Sellers double A side Grandpa's Grave and Well Goodness Gracious Me. Stewpot (or was it DLT?) used to play some of them on Saturday morning show.
 Hole in the ground - Crankcase
Sad to see that. He was always an amusing character actor. Carry on Jack and his appearance in a Doctor Who film were particular favourites of mine. I wonder if he ever played a part without saying "cor blimey".

As to the comic songs, I listen to those all the time on Spotify. There's so many. I heard some Sellers a few days ago, and not a month goes by when I don't play something like Bernard's "Bird on the second floor".

Quite enjoy a bit of Max Miller, and there's a great recording of George Formby performing live for the Forces. It's slightly smuttier than usual in a tasteful way, and he can't stop laughing along. Not as smutty as Max, though of course by modern standards its all tame enough for a three year old.
 Hole in the ground - VxFan
Right said Fred, better start a-digging this hole.
 Hole in the ground - zippy
Always liked Bernard. RIP.
Latest Forum Posts