Non-motoring > Tv screen trial please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 18

Tv screen trial please - Bobby
Having issues with the colours of my LG tv screen.
John Lewis have escalated to repair company who asked me to go onto YouTube on tv, select the “24 hours of pure white screen” and take a photo of the screen.
I have done this and screen is very “purply” which is my complaint. When I do this on my phone the phone screen is perfect white.

Out of curiosity, wondering what other TVs actually show when this is selected? Anyone willing to try and feedback?
 Tv screen trial please - Crankcase
No experience, but Mr Google offers a load of answers, all purporting to be definitive. The easiest is the "it's your hdmi cable. Unplug both ends, reseat, and if not, swap with another".

Gotta be worth a try if you haven't already?
Did test both through the Virgin box and also directly on the tv aerial with nothing attached.
 Tv screen trial please - Manatee
This is a nonsense.

Your phone will have auto white balance anyway so it will decide what 'colour' it shows.

I've just done it and it looks white - ish. Until I hang a piece of white paper over the top of the screen that is, then it's clearly nearer the colour of the wall behind it, which is Dulux Polished Pebble!

Try putting a piece of your printer paper in front of it for contrast. Or mess about manually setting the white balance until it looks purple.
 Tv screen trial please - Kevin
>This is a nonsense.

Manatee is correct. You need to stick a 'known' white alongside (but no reflection from) the screen to show the difference.
The TV will have a hidden 'engineering' menu that allows you to fine tune the colour rendition but you really need calibrated equipment to do it properly, not a phone camera.
GIMP will show you the RGB values of each pixel in an image so might be good enough to tell you if any channels are obviously way-out.

www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Color_Curves/
Just to clarify what I was saying, the above you tube video shows as very purply On my TV screen just looking at it with my naked eyes.

When I play the same video on my YouTube app on my phone, the video plays pure white.

Actually when I then take a photo of the TV screen with my iPhone, it is actually a very good resemblance of what I am seeing with my eyes.
>> I've just done it and it looks white - ish

That’s good to know, I am getting practically no white on my TV screen at all with it.
I think I misunderstood you - first reading, I thought it photographed white on the phone, now I realise you mean viewing the video on the phone.

I'd still send a picture with a piece to white paper on the screen to show how far off it is.

This sounds like a diagnosis technique they invented for Covid!
Transpires a new backlight is on order and will be replaced when received.
 Tv screen trial please - VxFan
>> Transpires a new backlight is on order and will be replaced when received.

I'm surprised it's cost effective for JL to actually have it repaired, rather than just replace the TV.
 Tv screen trial please - CGNorwich
Dulux Polished Pebble!

Nice shade - got it in the dining room
 Tv screen trial please - bathtub tom
Magnolia, innit?
I’d have you know it’s a beautiful, distinctive and versatile shade of Cool Neutral perfect for every room”

Sort of pale gray.
 Tv screen trial please - Duncan
Geriatric Beige.
Gray is the new beige. You need to eliminate any trace of cream based decor to retain any degree of credibility in your home design. You might as well have an avocado suite and artex ceilings as have Magnolia walls and oatmeal carpets these days.
>> Gray is the new beige. You need to eliminate any trace of cream based decor
>> to retain any degree of credibility in your home design. You might as well have
>> an avocado suite and artex ceilings as have Magnolia walls and oatmeal carpets these days.

Pretty much what my interior designer said. Our house is greyer than John Major.

Got to go, she'll want her morning coffee in a minute.
 Tv screen trial please - Dog
Funny lea enuff, all the vrooms in the new build we're looking to buy are painted pale grey.

I abso-lutely hated the idea - until we viewed the gaff, and actually quite liked it.
>> Sort of pale gray.

Did you mean gravy?
>> Sort of pale gray.

Did you mean gravy, or perhaps gay?
Latest Forum Posts