Non-motoring > Weather site Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 17

Weather site - Crankcase
There's been various weather related chattery here recently. A US penpal posted me this today - I'd not seen it before, but it's pretty.

No idea how accurate it is of course. Various incomprehensible drop downs too. Anyway, for general perusal if anyone is interested:

www.ventusky.com/

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 22 Jul 22 at 19:55
 Weather site - Terry
The data used comes mainly from the German and US meteorological services together with(I assume) UK radar.

I would guess that the UK Met Office data and models are better (more accurate) over the UK as their models tend to be better tuned and higher resolution for their major market. However the Germans and US are generally very capable.

The graphics are pretty. Arguably, if the goal is to communicate actionable information to the user, 95% data accuracy delivered well may be better than 100% accuracy delivered averagely.
 Weather site - Zero
OOOooooo. I like that, its pretty and it has functions....
 Weather site - John Boy
I use that one because I like to see what the weather is like now. If we're in a gale situation, for instance, I can see the progression as it approaches.
I use this one www.xcweather.co.uk/ too for similar reasons.
 Weather site - Bromptonaut
While we were holidaying on Harris in the Spring we were told the fishermen use xcweather.
 Weather site - Zero
Well, I have been playing with that - Ventusky - for a while. It really is a delicious site, superb graphics, function, usability, lots of toys and function.

It is however, as accurate as william tell firing marshmallows from his longbow.

Weather site - Crankcase
Point of order: I suspect William Tell pre-dates the use of the longbow in Switzerland. Interestingly though, marshmallows considerably pre-date him, so that bit is valid.

And as far as weather goes, for two days every weather thing I know about has been telling me it will rain cataclysmically on our garden, aka the Cambridgeshire Serengeti, and not a drop has happened so far.
 Weather site - Fullchat
Meanwhile:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-62570812
 Weather site - Crankcase
Yuk, that's pretty awful. It's very localised here I think. Car went in for some work yesterday; when the driver brought it back he said the wipers had come on in the next village, but we saw nothing.

Probably see Noah in a frenzy down the garden with a hacksaw later, they're saying it might be a deluge this afternoon.
 Weather site - Dog
You're welcome to have some of ours. The rain it raineth every day.
 Weather site - CGNorwich
>> Point of order: I suspect William Tell pre-dates the use of the longbow in Switzerland.

I’d have to disagree I’m afraid. Otzi the mummified huntsman found on the Austrian Italian border in the Alps was carrying a 1.83 metre unfinished longbow made of Yew so entirely possible Mr Tell owned one.
 Weather site - Crankcase
Well he wasn't Swiss, as we know it, and I didn't say the longbow hadn't been invented...

:)
 Weather site - Biggles
Didn't he use a crossbow anyway?
 Weather site - CGNorwich
Traditionally he did but the whole issue here s COULD he have use a long bow. These things are important you know. :-)
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 17 Aug 22 at 14:04
 Weather site - Kevin
If it was "unfinished" how do we know it was a longbow? It COULD be just a... 'stick'.
These things are important you know.
 Weather site - CGNorwich
>> If it was "unfinished" how do we know it was a longbow? It COULD be
>> just a... 'stick'.
>> These things are important you know.
>>

Indeed they are and I'm glad you asked. Clearly you share my fascination with the subject and you will enjoy this article.

www.primitiveways.com/Otzi%27s_bow.html
 Weather site - Kevin
Pah!

That article confirms that it was a 'stick'. The authors start with the hypothesis that it was a bow and then spend the rest of the article trying to claim that the reason why it wouldn't work is because it was "unfinished".

Weather site - Zero
>could be a stick

How do we know it wasn't a plant?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 17 Aug 22 at 15:29
Latest Forum Posts