Non-motoring > The Heat Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 123

The Heat - Zero
So if predictions are correct, some of us are facing the possibility of the big one. 40c.

I'm judging in Kent on Sunday, and will be in the sun all-day, luckily the heat bubble has moved back a couple of days so my day will be under 27

Not sure what I would have done if was 40
 The Heat - VxFan
Hottest I've ever experienced was in France several years ago. 37°C, while on a coach with no air con, heading into Paris to see a Jean-Michel Jarre concert under the Eiffel tower.

We opened the roof windows to help scoop some air in, but some whinging old woman on the trip with us demanded we close them because they were creating a draft. Bless her.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 15 Jul 22 at 11:35
 The Heat - sooty123
Been in a 40c+ weather a few times, unpleasant i suppose you could say. Difficult to work, feels a bit like an oven, especially outside.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 15 Jul 22 at 12:29
 The Heat - Duncan
>> We opened the roof windows to help scoop some air in, but some whinging old
>> woman on the trip with us demanded we close them because they were creating a
>> draft. Bless her.

I was called up in the draft to do National Service, but I don't remember it being very breezy?
 The Heat - helicopter
I spent a lpot of time in Qatar where 35 degrees is normal. Hottest I saw there was 44 degrees.

Last November in Tenerife was 36 degrees

Currently I am in the Champagne region of France and two days ago in Epernay it was 34 degrees. It has been a fantastic few days tasting dozens of Champagnes.

Today a very acceptable 24 degrees, nice 3 course lunch with a bottle of pink champagne and collected 18 bottles direct from a local vineyard for future consumption.

The Heat - Runfer D'Hills
I worked in Brazil for 5 years, in the summer months 35C was normal, fairly regularly saw 40C+ and it was rarely below 30C. Sounds a bit obvious, but you can and do get used to it. Just keep hydrated and seek shade when required. Wear loose clothing and change your footwear twice a day. Hot sweaty feet are far more vulnerable to rubbing, and they smell of course!
 The Heat - Manatee
Useful advice there, and this is probably a logical point to draw your attention to the Crocs sale.

The best kept secret of the shoe trade, as well as being stylish and classless Crocs are extremely well ventilated.

Up to 60% off and free postage.

www.crocs.co.uk/c/sale
Even extreme weather is just no excuse. Get a grip man, before it’s too late. Have you not got a full length hall mirror? Who could possibly venture out in public if they had seen a reflection of themselves with those dreadful things on?
:-(
 The Heat - Manatee
It's an age thing. We have no pride. Comfort is all we care about.

I had a trustee meeting in London on Wednesday. Normal attire is suit, white or blue city shirt, tie and black Oxford shoes, a tone set by the last chair. I never fully comply. The chair once described my shirt choice as "very avant garde". It was light blue with small palm trees on it.

This week I looked at the weather (scorchio) and went in light brown trousers, blue short sleeved linen shirt with stripes, and sturdy tan wingtip brogues, selected for the one mile march from the mainline station. I'll be honest, I didn't seriously consider the Crocs.

The other male trustees were already there, conventionally attired. There was some gentle ribbing at my one man rebellion.

Then the chairman arrived - in light brown trousers, blue short sleeved shirt, tan penny loafers. He's 70, he has more sense than to wear worsted suitings at 30 degrees.

The Heat - zippy
My employer has not relented on dress code for men which is suit, shirt and tie in bank colours.

Stuff that. Meeting with client in chinos, comfortable brown shoes and polo-shirt. Told client I would be wearing that before I went and they wore similar.

Female staff get it easier with skirts and blouse allowed, no tie required or dress.
 The Heat - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Female staff get it easier with skirts and blouse allowed, no tie required or dress.
>>

As a protest that is what you should wear to work in this heat. They would not dare challenge it.
I used to inhabit the corporate world where such things were a consideration. Must be 30 years ago or more. Can’t imagine having to mention to anyone what I’ll be choosing to wear now.
Not that I’m deliberately scruffy at any time, but I’m really not going to assume any uniforms for anyone.
 The Heat - neiltoo
"creating a draft"

Quite right Duncan!

Draught is the only spelling in english English for its several meanings, except for a call up to the services.

Deputy assistant pedant.
 The Heat - sooty123
Seems to be most likely to break 40c somewhere on/around the A1 between London and Peterborough.
 The Heat - Dave_
>> Seems to be most likely to break 40c somewhere on/around the A1 between London and Peterborough

Yippee. (10 minutes from Baldock)
 The Heat - legacylad
Woke up to light drizzle this morning and it didn’t cease until early afternoon.

I do like hot weather on holiday, circa 30/35C...love swimming in the briny and snorkelling, but at home where that isn’t possible 25C is sufficient for me.
 The Heat - bathtub tom
In the early '70s I was working in a trunk, telephone exchange, around AC9 (thermionic valve) equipment. No A/C. I once wore a knee length kaftan to work. Not a word was said (apart from the p1?? taking from my colleagues, who I suspect were jealous).!
 The Heat - Dog
Ah, the '70s ... I used to ride my Lambretta SX200 from sowf lunden to work in Soho wearing my patent blue coat and my Donovan corduroy hat.

:o}
 The Heat - Falkirk Bairn
Arrived in Saudi Arabia 1st April 1970 - thought the plane's engines had still been on - 98F.
Beirut had been a pleasant 75 the day before.

The following day it was 104F - 40C - it got hotter as summer came - that & the high humidity was a killer!
 The Heat - Bobby
Was 50 degrees in Hoover Dam when we were there. Daughters flip flops melted to the pavement!

That was the heatwave that Sheriff Joe walked around all the prisoners in the camp in Arizona I think whilst eating ice lollies! And the horrendous fire that encircled and killed the firefighters.
 The Heat - sherlock47
Family are here in S of France before returning to HK. They are saying how nice it is at 40C, without the humidity they have become accustomed to over the last 2.5 years.

Yeah well, it is going to be a bit hot for a couple of days.
But, a “national emergency”, chuffing cobra meetings?
Really?
Maybe I’m old enough to remember when we didn’t need to sensationalise absolutely blinking everything.
Drink a bit more water, dress appropriately and stay in the shade if you’re a bit too hot.
Jeez.
 The Heat - CGNorwich
“Drink a bit more water, dress appropriately and stay in the shade if you're a bit too hot.”

OK if you’re not very old or sick I guess. Sounds like Tuesday is going to be unpleasant with high humidity.
 The Heat - tyrednemotional
...as I posted on another thread, I have a 350 mile round journey to undertake in the 'van on Tuesday.

I've not been looking forward to it, but it became even less attractive a proposition when I took the 'van for a fill-up this afternoon, pressed the aircon button and....nothing, nada, zilch. No light on the switch, and no cold air.

Repeated pressing, and swearing at the thing made no difference.

Oh bother! (or words to that effect).

A few hundred yards further, and I remembered I'd turned the fan off when I was testing that the diagnostics worked from my new laptop (OBD needs ignition on, and the fan gets annoying). Switched it up one notch, tried the aircon again, and all sorted.

Quite a relief. (I will be starting at sparrowfart, and heading into one of the relatively cooler parts of the UK, but aircon is certainly going to make it more sustainable).
>> ...
>>
>> Quite a relief. (I will be starting at sparrowfart, and heading into one of the
>> relatively cooler parts of the UK, but aircon is certainly going to make it more
>> sustainable).
>>

Air con, great for keeping you cool but a significant contributor to global warming at the same time.
..indeed, but on a personal level all things are relative.

Rather than using a car, I walk everywhere when the distance allows, cycle if the distance is greater but still cyclable (without falling off ;-) ), and for many years, whilst I could afford them I've largely eschewed long-haul flights for holidays (motorhome touring around the breadth of Europe and Scandinavia has been fine - though we broke and had a couple of NZ holidays, and a visit to Canada, to get them in whilst we can).

I think I've done enough to merit having the aircon on for a trip to Somerset, but, if you insist, Greta, I'll turn it off. ;-)
 The Heat - Zero
>> Air con, great for keeping you cool but a significant contributor to global warming at
>> the same time.

Sounds like a man with broken aircon..... From a man who is off to judge today, which means I cant get any shade. packed the rather classy Panama in the car
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 Jul 22 at 06:40
 The Heat - neiltoo
>> Air con, great for keeping you cool but a significant contributor to global warming at
>> the same time.

Since the cold air coming into the car is balanced by the heat at the condenser, there is null effect except for the nominal increase in fuel consumption.

Driving that distance has a far greater effect on global warming (if extra carbon dioxide emissions have anything to do with climate change.......)
 The Heat - Duncan
Meanwhile, everyone ignores the elephant in the room - population growth/control.

The world's population has approximately quadrupled from 2 billion to 8 billion during my lifetime. The human race will kill itself by over population - after I've gone, so it won't be my worry.

When will someone do something about it. Who the someone is and what the something is, is where the debate starts.

Having 4, 5, 6 or more children is not clever, or wonderful, or rather sweet.
 The Heat - CGNorwich
You seem rather keen on population control but rather less clear on how it can be done. Perhaps you can elucidate. You may have noticed that in the Western world at least the problem is not too many babies but too few resulting in an a rapidly ageing population.

Perhaps you are advocating a cull of the elderly who after all are non contributors to the economy and simply consumers of resources.
 The Heat - Duncan
>> You seem rather keen on population control but rather less clear on how it can
>> be done. Perhaps you can elucidate. You may have noticed that in the Western world
>> at least the problem is not too many babies but too few resulting in an
>> a rapidly ageing population.

There are a number of ways, of course, ranging from the civilised methods such as birth control and encouragement - should that be discouragement? - to compulsory sterilisation. The one child policy has been largely discredited. Perhaps a two child policy?

There are many ways to go about population control. The point is that we aren't even talking about it. World Atlas has some suggestions.

www.worldatlas.com/articles/population-control-methods.html
>> You seem rather keen on population control but rather less clear on how it can
>> be done. Perhaps you can elucidate. You may have noticed that in the Western world
>> at least the problem is not too many babies but too few resulting in an
>> a rapidly ageing population.
>>
>>

There is no way it can be done until it is too late, that boat sailed decades ago. The population is increasing at the rate of over a quarter of a million a day and whether in some parts of the world it is by fewer than others is neither here nor there. The Chinese tried it and apart from being villified for attacking people's "Human rights" they abandoned it in favour of economic growth.

Life as we have known it since we first appeared on the planet is pretty much coming to the end, large parts of the world will become uninhabitable and the fight for the diminishing livable land and resources will lead to war as the bigger powers flex their muscles. And of course they have umpteen thousand nukes at their disposal.

I find myself increasingly glad I'm the age I am.
 The Heat - CGNorwich
find myself increasingly glad I'm the age I am.

Really?

A lot of problems and change ahead but we are embarking on a an amazing era of scoentific discovery and technological progress. I would love to see how it all pans out over the next century.
>>
>> Really?
>>
>> A lot of problems and change ahead but we are embarking on a an amazing
>> era of scoentific discovery and technological progress. I would love to see how it all
>> pans out over the next century.
>>

The chances of any meaningful human life still existing will be gone long before the end of this century.

This is going to get much, much worse -

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62196045
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 17 Jul 22 at 15:33
 The Heat - CGNorwich
Blimey. You are a regular ray of sunshine aren’t you? Do you have one of those “The End of the World is Nye” placards?

>> Blimey. You are a regular ray of sunshine aren’t you? Do you have one of
>> those “The End of the World is Nye” placards?
>>
...I think he was suggesting a bit longer than New Year's Eve....
>>
>>
>>

Well, you can always stick your head in the sand. What do you think is going to happen?
 The Heat - smokie
O/T did people watch that stuff on the new Webb telescope? Amazing... the quality of pics and the info they can get from it all.
 The Heat - CGNorwich
Yes truly amazing. The growth in knowledge of the universe over our lifetimes has been stupendous.

400 billion stars in our galaxy and 200 billion galaxies in the universe. It’s a big place!
 The Heat - CGNorwich
Well I certainly don’t think all meaningful human life will cease by the end of the century. There are problems ahead but humans will survive and overcome those problems as we have so far. Science and technology is the way forward. There are no problems that cannot be overcome given the will to tackle them.
>> Science and technology is the way forward.
>>

...let's hope it's better than the science and technology that got us to here, then....
 The Heat - Kevin
>...let's hope it's better than the science and technology that got us to here, then....

I read this today..

'If we've learned anything over the last four decades, it's that every innovation, however wonderful, contains its own opposite. The splendor of "knowledge at your fingertips" laid the foundations for a planetary-scale "ignorance amplifier". Massive human hyperconnectivity across social networks reawakened and accelerated our tendency to form tribes. Our drawing together begins to look more like our coming apart. Advances in artificial intelligence mean that the surveillance state can scale without human staffing – or human oversight.'
 The Heat - Zero

>> Science and technology is the way forward. There are no problems
>> that cannot be overcome given the will to tackle them.

Cobras.

Blink still havent fixed my poxy camera
 The Heat - CGNorwich

>> Cobras.
>>
>> Blink still havent fixed my poxy camera
>>

Give them a break. They’re all working on a pocket size fusion reactor.)
 The Heat - Zero
It will explode in your lap and radiate your leg.
 The Heat - Duncan

Nye Bevan was a dreadful gloomster. That's where the expression originated.
 The Heat - Bobby
Does the heat affect the dogs performance?
 The Heat - Zero
>> Does the heat affect the dogs performance?

Some dogs, yes, its very much a breed thing. Some work well in the heat, some wilt. Lots of entries didn't turn up. The handler is responsible for managing the dogs environment and exposure, It can be and is done at shows.
 The Heat - Fursty Ferret
>> the same time.
>>

I run mine from solar and battery storage.

In the Tesla the heat pump always runs so the only difference is that it's taking heat from the cabin and dumping it into the battery instead of sucking it in from outside the car.
According to Metcheck it's going to be 25c at 3am on Tuesday. That means the whole night awake and the alarm going off at six o'clock. Stuff this.
 The Heat - Zero
>> According to Metcheck it's going to be 25c at 3am on Tuesday. That means the
>> whole night awake and the alarm going off at six o'clock. Stuff this.

Stuff this? There is naff all you can do about it. Almost make you glad to see the end of the world.
 The Heat - Rudedog
The Country File weather guy has just warned about the red alert and actually said 'thousands will die over the next two days' due to the extreme heat.... made me wince... really not sure of those numbers.

The Heat - Bromptonaut
>> The Country File weather guy has just warned about the red alert and actually said
>> 'thousands will die over the next two days' due to the extreme heat.... made me
>> wince... really not sure of those numbers.

We were in France in 2004 when they had a heatwave like this.

Leaving a site near the Gorge du Tarn with temperatures in the high thirties we were delighted to return to a well loved site in the Auvergne at around 4,000 feet amsl. Still lots of strong sunshine but the altitude made it fresh and bearable.

Dropping off the Massif towards the Autoroute and into the A75/A72 at the end of the holiday and headed for la Manche the car showed the outside temperature as +40. Media reports were that older people, normally safely left to their own devices while the family were 'en vacances' were dropping dead with the heat.

Official stats seemed to back that up.

Seemed exceptional at the time but we had +43 in the Loire area in 2018 and very high thirties around Normandy and the Baie de la Somme two years later.
...are you sure that wasn't May/June 2003?

We were in a fairly isolated property in the Auvergne then. It was extremely hot, and the news was full of the events you describe. Heat was almost unbearable even on the top of Puy de Dôme, at best part of 5,000 feet.

It was a large property with substantial grounds and a swimming pool, owned by an English vet practicing in Oldham. Local management was via some ex-pats who looked after a number of properties for absent owners. It was the first let of the season, and they'd cleaned and filled the pool, and left the pool heating on full for a week!

When we arrived, first thought after unpacking was to have a dip in the pool. It was at least as hot as a bath I would have been happy with! (I managed to find the pool heating system, and it was turned off for the remainder of our stay).
 The Heat - Duncan
>> The Country File weather guy has just warned about the red alert and actually said
>> 'thousands will die over the next two days' due to the extreme heat.... made me
>> wince... really not sure of those numbers.

Typically 1,500 people die every day in the UK. So 1,500 times two is, er, um, hang on, I think I know this! Thousands!
 The Heat - Bromptonaut
>> Typically 1,500 people die every day in the UK. So 1,500 times two is, er,
>> um, hang on, I think I know this! Thousands!

Another less excitable presenter over the weekend explained that heatwaves in the UK result in excess deaths; a rise on the normal average. IIRC he spoke of c2000 deaths a day rather than 1500.

I guess this one, if the predicted 40+ is hit, will be rather more dramatic.
 The Heat - CGNorwich
>> According to Metcheck it's going to be 25c at 3am on Tuesday. That means the
>> whole night awake and the alarm going off at six o'clock. Stuff this.
>>
Humidity expected to be very high too. Just so you know.
>> >> According to Metcheck it's going to be 25c at 3am on Tuesday. That means
>> the
>> >> whole night awake and the alarm going off at six o'clock. Stuff this.
>> >>
>> Humidity expected to be very high too. Just so you know.
>>

...but at least the clocks aren't going back.... ;-)
 The Heat - Zero

>>
>> ...but at least the clocks aren't going back.... ;-)

Dawn chorus starts about 5:00am I think.
 The Heat - zippy
Went to a "wake" today for a loved relative who passed away during lockdown last year.

It was hot and the company managing the event had equipped the room with portable air-conditioners, even so, some of the older folks were suffering.
 The Heat - legacylad

>> Dawn chorus starts about 5:00am I think.
>>
An hour earlier up North, but then the blackbirds get tired and go back to bed until 6 ish.

Unlike the bleating sheep who once up and about don’t give it a rest....hopefully they will the next few days but this morning they didn’t have a Sunday lie in. Noisy beggars.
 The Heat - legacylad

>> Humidity expected to be very high too. Just so you know.
>>
Strange.
Settle very low humidity for the next two days according to the BBC. Between 09:00 and 21:00 it’s between 34% and a high of 55%. ...great news for my arthritic hip, allowing me to give up painkillers since my return from Cyprus.

Wednesday, a damp morning forecast at the moment, it’s back up to 85%. Fortunately dropping a little as the day progresses.
 The Heat - Bromptonaut
Just had an email from the Citizens Advice I volunteer at today asking anybody heading for offices or outreaches to make sure they return home before 'peak heat'.

Also includes andinstruction not to use transport without aircon as its just too dangerous. If I still had my Mk2 Berlingo I might have ignored that...
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 18 Jul 22 at 09:36
Well, we’ve just been mountain biking in a forest. 32C in the sunshine, cooler under the trees. It was lovely. Just took extra water. Didn’t die, had fun. ;-)
You're fit and in good health. Not everybody is.
>> You're fit and in good health.

...not so much recently, apparently... ;-)
 The Heat - Zero
>> >> You're fit and in good health.
>>
>> ...not so much recently, apparently... ;-)

Thats fab coming from the bloke who hasnt stopped bleeding yet.
...yeah, but I haven't just been mountain biking....

(thanks for asking)
 The Heat - Manatee
I jumped up this morning to do a couple of hours brush cuttering before it got too hot. I retired, boiled, at 8.30. But I have never been good at heat.

Simmering indoors now at about 28. No point opening windows, it's 34 outside
...42C outside here at the moment....
 The Heat - legacylad
A large band of dark cloud over Settle, with light rain.
Absolutely rubbish weather.
Heatwave my aunt
 The Heat - Duncan
Because Yorkshire - right?
 The Heat - legacylad
Yes. North Yorkshire close to Cumbria.
Heavy cloud and light drizzle out of nowhere....hopefully it will pass over and tomorrow will be an improvement. Friends have just had light rain in the Morecambe Bay area...
 The Heat - Crankcase
Cooled down a bit here in sunny Cambs. Down to 38 at the moment.
 The Heat - Manatee
It's moving north.
Been in the garden all afternoon reading under a sun brolly. Lovely. It’s like being in Greece or somewhere (without the Ouzo and stuffed vine leaves)
Looking forward to my swim tonight though.
 The Heat - Terry
This is England. The land of ice draped roads and footpaths in winter, where pipes freeze and snowmen are a common sight between November and February.

Perish the thought that temperatures might even approach that which is the norm in Mediterranean resorts - those that some pay lots of dosh to go, get p155ed and sunburned.

I know there are a few for whom raised temperatures may cause a problem. There are numpties who think nothing of a few pints and a dip in the nearest stream.

But the rest of us should simply moderate our activities, say out of direct sun, don't get dehydrated and all will be well. Nothing to worry about really!
 The Heat - martin aston
I am in Wakefield visiting my daughter. It’s 37c here less than 50 miles south of Settle. What have you done to deserve cloud and rain?

PS this is in response to LL entry at 15.33
Last edited by: martin aston on Mon 18 Jul 22 at 17:56
 The Heat - CGNorwich
Looks OK now at the Ribbleshead viaduct

settlecarlisletrust.org.uk/webcams/
 The Heat - Ted

Ex colleague came up to Manchester from Tewkesbury this morning on family business. I haven't seen him for a long time, in fact I didn't know he was still alive. He's 82 now

He stayed 3 hours and we had a good chat. Leaving about noon, I commented that he would have a good run back with the air con keeping him refreshed.

Not at all...he was in a newish Tesla and he said, apart from an initial cool down, he couldn't risk running out of battery...so he would have to leave it off ! He could have plugged it in at our house, if I'd known !

Ted
 The Heat - smokie
Some EV drivers really do obsess way too much about maximising their "mpg". Seen it on EV forums and I've started pushing back on it as it is ridiculous, the lengths they'll go to. Just enjoy the drive...

I haven't used public chargers much but so far haven't run into any of the problems about which stories abound. They are expensive compared to charging at home but certainly no more than the equivalent petrol cost.
 The Heat - sooty123
Hotter today i think, some places in Cambridgeshire hit 33c before 9.30.
 The Heat - zippy
Our refuse lorry usually arrives between 11AM and 12 noon. Today it was 6AM, apparently they started at 2AM.
 The Heat - Duncan
Prince Charles has said something about global warming.

www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1528328/prince-charles-travel-private-jets-costs-evg
 The Heat - Dog
Quite nice here in godforsaken Cornwall .. 20° + rain :)
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 19 Jul 22 at 11:47
 The Heat - henry k
39.1C at Charlwood ( Gatwick)
 The Heat - Zero
Jezuz Mary & Joseph. Went out just now, the wind is ferociously hot, its like opening the door on the fan oven. 37c here but feels hotter, not experienced anything like that since a trip to the desert outside Phoenix Az
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 19 Jul 22 at 12:34
 The Heat - James Loveless
Here in sunny Herts we have been closely monitoring inside and outside temperatures and keep the windows closed and curtains drawn when the latter exceeds the former.

Worked well until yesterday, when the outside temperature didn't drop sufficiently to get air into the house until about 10 pm. Then there was the knock-on effect this morning, when the house hadn't cooled much overnight and we shut the windows before 10 am.

So now the inside temp is gradually rising and God knows when we'll be able to open the windows. Currently 37º C outside and 28º C inside.

This on top of what my GP thinks is probably long Covid (fatigue, brain-fog, etc.) is not making life pleasant.

At least I don't have to go out, unlike yesterday. And tomorrow should offer a respite.
 The Heat - James Loveless
[Duplicate post. I swear I pressed Post only once.]
Last edited by: James Loveless on Tue 19 Jul 22 at 12:52
 The Heat - zippy
>> [Duplicate post. I swear I pressed Post only once.]
>>

Swearing isn't allowed here! :-)

I think a news company should send a camera team around to Prince Andrew to see if he is sweating!
 The Heat - henry k
40.2C at LHR
 The Heat - sooty123
>> Jezuz Mary & Joseph. Went out just now, the wind is ferociously hot, its like
>> opening the door on the fan oven. 37c here but feels hotter, not experienced anything
>> like that since a trip to the desert outside Phoenix Az
>>

Just felt it as well. First time I've felt that hot dry wind in this country.
 The Heat - zippy
Doggo is struggling.

I have got a couple of ice packs (the type used for bad backs / joints) from the freezer and put them on her rug and she has gone and sat right on them.
 The Heat - Zero
Dipped mine in the canal this morning. Both now lying on cool mats in front of fans
 The Heat - Crankcase
The inferno outside has heated up the back door sufficiently that when you shut it from the outside, you burn your hand on your knob. It's not pleasant.
 The Heat - Manatee
We have a strong breeze now but it's red hot. I imagine it to be like a sirocco in the Sahara.
>> The inferno outside has heated up the back door sufficiently that when you shut it
>> from the outside, you burn your hand on your knob. It's not pleasant.
>>

I have to ask, bit wen you open the back door why are you holding your...

...oh, never mind.
 The Heat - Bobby
Soaked a towel and lay it beside my lab’s mat and tried to encourage him to lie on it. He obviously doesn’t trust me. Won’t go near it in case it’s a trap.
He really doesn’t like change!
 The Heat - Bromptonaut
>> Our refuse lorry usually arrives between 11AM and 12 noon. Today it was 6AM, apparently
>> they started at 2AM.

Ours was an hour early at about 06:15.
 The Heat - Ted

Stonkingly hot here in Arcadia. Nice bit of breeze this afto but garden umbrellas didn't help with shade. Sun just burned it's way past them.

Had to nip out in the RAV. It has a little compartment above the mirror for sunglasses, They were so hot they hurt my nose when I put them on in spite of being out of the Sun. AC was struggling to make any impression on the heat. Apart from early morning promenade, dog stayed in all day on the coolish kitchen floor...wise !

Ted
 The Heat - bathtub tom
Had to take SWMBO to hospital for tests and pick her up again 1:00pm. Car was telling me it was 41c. Windows and curtains closed and inside's a cool 30c!
 The Heat - Crankcase
Took the Skoda out today. 38 outside. I had the aircon on "Eco", to totally unnecessarily save a bit of battery and to see what it did. Cooled the car to 20 in about a minute, and held it there just fine, so who knows what it would be like without the Eco bit turned on.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 19 Jul 22 at 15:55
..as on other posts, had reason to do a 370 mile round trip to Somerset in the motorhome today.

Set off at 04:30 at 22C here, and had a pleasant trip to Highbridge (25C when I arrived) without even bothering with the aircon. (The large internal area of the 'van means it doesn't heat up over quickly. Conversely, once it has heated up, it doesn't cool down that quickly - though conditioned air from the vents is very welcome).

Every gantry I passed on the A46/M1/M69 announced that the Southbound A46 was closed beyond the M69; it wasn't. They close the road overnight at Binley for the major junction works there. It re-opens at 05:00. Every gantry with the message was passed well after 05:00 - why can't they get it right?

It did seem to me that traffic was light, even though the SW was forecast to miss the worst of the heat.

I returned shortly after midday, with the temperature in Highbridge a bearable 29C (the breeze there had some cooling effect). Aircon definitely on.

33C passing Bristol
35C passing Gloucester
36C at Tewkesbury
38C at Warwick
39C at Coventry
38/39 from there until 40C at home, and a decamp from the aircon brought the Saharan blast.

SWMBO used the "opening the fan oven door" analogy.

I've also passed a couple of local very large fires on the way back. One semi-distant but very visible, the second affecting my route with what must have been most of the on-duty complement of Nottinghamshire's finest blocking my progress. Though why it takes 14 police cars (really) to accompany one fire appliance beats me.
 The Heat - CGNorwich
Peaked at 36C here. Now very humid and feeling a lot worse than yesterday.
 The Heat - Zero
Up your way next next week, Monday will be hot but not baking.
 The Heat - helicopter
Currently in Honfleur in France where the temperature earlier was 39 degrees , afternoon spent in hotel swimming pool.

The temp has now dropped to 25 degrees and thunder....
 The Heat - CGNorwich
Dog show?

Can live with hot. Today has been unpleasant. Chance of some rain tomorrow
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 19 Jul 22 at 18:37
 The Heat - sooty123
Seems it didn't quite hit the temp some thought it would but still very hot, 40.3c was the highest recorded at Coningsby.
 The Heat - Zero
>> Dog show?

Training week.Plantation Park Blofield
...some way from the screen, I read that as

Training week.Plantation Park Blofeld

...and thought you were addressing CG as "Blofeld".

I had this vision of you imagining him sitting there be-monocled, stroking his pussy cat.

I was quite deflated when I read it again.
 The Heat - Zero
Have you seen his wife, Rosa?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 19 Jul 22 at 20:42
 The Heat - zippy
>> Have you seen his wife, Rosa?
>>

You have just disqualified yourself from posting any critical comments re any of my jokes - ever!

:-D
 The Heat - zippy
We have a thunder storm just off the coast, doggo is cuddling up to a cold blanket.

I have 3 fans going.

Hopefully the storm will bring some relief, as long as the lightening doesn't set any fires as it moves inland.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 19 Jul 22 at 21:15
 The Heat - Bromptonaut
Been on the fringe of a storm with rain and wind but now passed over.

I suspect that if I put AM radio on I'd be hearing a LOT of electro static noise.
 The Heat - Zero
Not as much as you think, lightning trackers are not exactly lit up.
 The Heat - zippy
>> Not as much as you think, lightning trackers are not exactly lit up.
>>

True. I was hoping for a real clear out. Unfortunately no rain.
>> Have you seen his wife, Rosa?
>>

.how many times do I have to tell you? - you're only supposed to call me Rosa at the weekend...
 The Heat - bathtub tom
Just rained here, reckon there must have been nearly a dozen spots on the patio table before it evaporated.
 The Heat - Kevin
What does a service on a motorhome actually entail?
Much the same as any other motor vehicle I’d imagine, but with the addition of replacing the matching fleeces in the wardrobe perhaps?
;-)
 The Heat - Duncan
>> Much the same as any other motor vehicle I’d imagine, but with the addition of
>> replacing the matching fleeces in the wardrobe perhaps?
>> ;-)
>>

www.facebook.com/GavinAndStacey/photos/4c5a317f/10157604350084109/
...typically, the base vehicle and its "snail" accoutrements are treated separately.

The base is serviced as would a similar van or truck. In warranty, that probably means by a franchised dealer of the appropriate make. Outside warranty, it means anyone capable of servicing what is, in reality, a commercial vehicle. There are a few bits round the edges that might complicate things; for example, mine has an Al-Ko chassis (not Fiat) bolted on, which has service requirements outside the standard base vehicle list (and often gets missed). I do my own servicing, so it doesn't.

The motorhome part is covered by a "habitation" service, which may or may not be a condition of a multi-year warranty (done annually). The conditions vary enormously from make to make, and in length of any warranty. Most UK makes require a full annual habitation service to maintain warranty during it's time, some continental makes do, and others, like mine, split out the sub-requirement of a "damp" test to maintain a water-ingress warranty (effectively a bodyshell repair warranty).

The wider habitation servicing covers the above "damp test" and the functioning of the "caravan" internal parts, and the equipment (electrical, water, gas, etc.) all of which is well within the capability of reasonably informed DIY. (The only one which might require additional help is the gas-pressure test, though even that can be done with reasonably cheap equipment, and from my experience doesn't always identify suspected problems anyway).

Habitation servicing as a warranty condition generally has to be carried out by an agent of the converter, or an authorised and qualified third party. If done at an agent, it generally ain't cheap, and there is a corollary to this. The caravan/motorhome market (certainly in the UK) isn't like the car market for warranties. Very few agents/dealers will countenance warranty work on a 'van that hasn't been bought from them. Some of them won't do any work on that basis. The warranty labour rates are horrendously low. (I suspect I might get fully paid servicing/inspection type work done by my local dealer, but if that led to major warranty repairs being identified, things will get messy).

So, for my 'van, I got a Fiat 2 year warranty on the base vehicle (which was serviced by Fiat accordingly just before the two-year interval to keep the service record clean in case I needed goodwill in the next two years.). Since then it has been serviced by me (just due) with an interim, non-specified, annual oil-change.

I also got a Hymer 6-year water-ingress warranty, which is conditional on an annual inspection with a damp-meter, and a quick waft underneath with a can of Hymer-specified underseal. Frankly, booking it in and getting the paperwork back takes longer than the job itself. It's fixed price at £125 and booked as 1.5 hours labour, which, since I know when it entered the workshop and when it returned, it ain't. Like many German 'vans, it isn't conditional on a full habitation service (which might cost me north of £300 more, and consists of items all of which I'm confident of dealing with myself).

£125 annually is worthwhile to me to protect against potentially expensive body-repairs. It's a pain having to take it to Somerset every year, but see comments on dealers above). My nearest Hymer dealer is not much more than 20 miles away, but couldn't/wouldn't put me a deal together that got anywhere near the one I've got -and didn't have the vehicle I wanted immediately available anyway. The inconvenience/cost was factored in when I bought.

A very small number of motorhome dealers (I know of four) are fully accredited Fiat service workshops in their own right, and thus could do a full across-the-board service as required. All four of them at premium prices (and only one I'd do such business with). Generally, then, the base and caravan services are split-supply.
Guess they check the circuitry for the fairy lights too?
;-)
...not in my experience, but possibly an additional option for the Bedfordshire market. Perhaps Kevin could advise or do a bit more research....
Latest Forum Posts