Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

Someone's in Trouble - Bank Robbed - zippy
www.thesun.co.uk/news/19154944/bank-robber-security-guard-santander-gs4/

The robber must have nerves of steel!
 Someone's in Trouble - Bank Robbed - Bromptonaut
>> www.thesun.co.uk/news/19154944/bank-robber-security-guard-santander-gs4/
>>
>>
>> The robber must have nerves of steel!

When Securicor as it then was collected cash from the County Court in 1985/6 we were supposed to go through various protocols to check ID etc. Needless to say doing so was a PITA and annoyed the hell out of the guys doing the collection. If it had gone belly up though and we'd not done the checks guess who's head was on the chopper?

I guess it will be the same here.
 Someone's in Trouble - Bank Robbed - Manatee
It was <=£25K per box when I was a bank cashier in the 1970s. Serious money then, you could have bought a house with the contents of one box.

I was always amused when TV cops shows featured security van hold-ups in which the robbers got away with "£10,000!". The last branch I worked in shipped out between £400k-£500k every Wednesday on one van. And that van called at half a dozen branches before it got back to the cash centre.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 11 Jul 22 at 20:58
>>Hold up...

The biggest cash raid that springs to mind was in the early 2000s with the Cash Depot in Tonbridge. The crooks had taken the manager's family hostage. He must have been terrified and I understand that they are now living under changed identities in the Southern Hemisphere.

That's nasty!

Some good friends (or God-daughter's parents) had a Ford Sierra. He was a diesel fitter and purchased it from the scrap-yard where he worked and rebuilt it.

One night, in the early hours, he and the family were awoken by lights outside and a telephone call. It was the police and the family were told to come outside. The parents were searched as was the house.

It turns out that the previous evening a local sub-post office had been hit and the post-master done over very nastily with the butt of a shot gun.

The family's Sierra had been used in the raid and the police had found my friend's Sierra burnt out, luckily they had a water-tight alibi and the real crooks were eventually found and prosecuted.
 Someone's in Trouble - Bank Robbed - tyrednemotional
...I'm surprised they didn't try to fit you up for it.... ;-)
>>
>> I guess it will be the same here.
>>

Same with sub-postmasters - if they were robbed and didn't follow all cash procedures to the letter then they wouldn't be covered by the insurances.
 Someone's in Trouble - Bank Robbed - Falkirk Bairn
I was a student in the mid 60s and had a summer job as a rent collector for the council.
Same day/time every 2 weeks I called on tenants - by 2pm I would have £1,000 in a leather bag- the odd cheque but mostly £5/£10 notes - about £20,000 in today's money.

Back to the office - count it up and see that it squares with the paperwork.

6 rent collectors + office takings - say £8,000 per day.
3 left the office at 2.50pm - one carrying the bag, one in front and 1 behind - the one behind had a police whistle - roughly £160K in today's money and walking 100 yards to the bank.

Good job it is different today you can be mugged drawing £50 from a cash machine far less carrying £160K each & every weekday at the same time to the same bank!

Someone's in Trouble - Bank Robbed - Dave_
In the early 90s in my first full-time job at a bank branch, it was common for two of us to walk 100 yards to a rival bank to swap bundles of (say) £10 notes for £20s. We'd pocket one of the under-counter panic buttons and stroll along the street with 10 grand each side inside our suit jackets. Scary enough for a 17-year-old on a salary of not much more than half that.
 Someone's in Trouble - Bank Robbed - Kevin
In the 80s my employer supplied front and back-office systems to Bank of Ireland. The branch in Dublin was a showcase for the latest tech and had an openplan area where cashiers sat out in the open and cash was dispensed or deposited by a deskside ATM.

They were having problems that the Irish techies had been unable to fix so it was escalated and one of my colleagues was tasked with sorting it out.

He found that the machines had not had their guts properly aligned after being bolted to the floor so he borrowed some tools and set about re-commissioning them himself.

While he had the first machine in bits a guy entered the branch with a gun, went to a conventional cashier counter and demanded the money.

The following day it happened again. The cops couldn't believe that he'd had the cheek to rob the same branch two days on the trot but assured the staff that they'd increase patrols.

On the third day my colleague had just finished the last remaining machine when the guy with the gun appeared again. He legged it with however much was in the cashier's drawer but if he'd looked around he'd have seen my mate and two security staff installing easily carried-cassettes full of cash into the ATM.
 Someone's in Trouble - Bank Robbed - Terry
A shipyard many decades ago had a weekly cash payroll with ~2000 employees. At pay rates today this would be close to a £1m Securicor delivery.

Mindful of security risks, the company located the wages office at the back of the shipyard, well away from public roads, and behind the security provided at the shipyard entrance.

The wages office (wooden shed) also had a nice large safe - to hold the cash and the sherry (tipple of choice). What they never really twigged that the location at the back of the shipyard was less than 20 yards from the water.

Any crims understandably nervous of entrance and escape through a shipyard full of large welders, riveters, labourers who would take exception to their wages going missing, could simply get in and out across the bay by boat (probably the faster the better).
Latest Forum Posts