Non-motoring > A lovely evening for a bike ride Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 109

A lovely evening for a bike ride - tyrednemotional
I don't really "do" hot weather, and the recent spell has irked me considerably since I am effectively confined to barracks, unable to make the best of it in the motorhome. (The saga of my back, and SWMBO's hip replacement were subject of a post earlier in this forum).

Due to the circumstances (still not sleeping well given my back, and looking after a convalescent) I am absolutely cream-crackered. Apparently, when asked "Why are you tired? Is it your back", the answer "No, it's because I've been doing absolutely everything in, out and around this household for three weeks, in addition to permanently chasing around after you like a blue-ar$ed fly" is not a valid response. :-(

To cap it all, my main PC died this afternoon, to an extent that it won't boot at all, so I can't (as yet) diagnose the issue (though Motherboard is my current bet). Far from disastrous, but it pee'd me off.

Actually, despite the very early setback, SWMBO is doing well. I don't trust her outside (or on stairs) by herself, but she is mobile indoors, and had two walks today, one of which was over a mile. Whilst that's using crutches, it ain't bad for under three weeks from a new hip. She is now certainly safe to leave indoors for a bit.

So, (sorry) with the bikes already dismounted from the 'van for its MOT (and pending damp test) there was a great temptation to have an evening spin. I have access to a fairly comprehensive set of off-road trails direct from the house, and much of it is in forest, so shaded.

15 miles on unmade tracks in just under an hour tonight. Few other people about, and the main interruptions were the local herd of English longhorns, and a (separate) couple of hares that went across in front of me almost close enough to get in the spokes. When you're enjoying yourself it almost feels like the bike is up for it too.

I think tomorrow might be a repeat!
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - legacylad
Glad you had a lovely evening....
I met up with friends in my local beer garden ( Harts Head in Giggleswick, the best for miles around and only 3 minutes away) SW facing. One of them had spent the past week doing some renovations at a bothy just over the Border near Langholm, which included digging a new sheet hole, and paragliding in some down, or should that be up, time.

Rudely interrupted by the Red Arrows flying directly overhead, en route home after an air show somewhere. They weren’t half low.

Like my pint.
....shouldn't you be out hooning somewhere...?

...spent a few memorable nights in bothies; probably the most memorable, for a number of reasons, Ben Alder Cottage.
Likewise....I backpacked TGOC several times, and unless it was hammering down with rain and gale force winds, I preferred to camp outside bothies. Too much snoring from both ends, plus mice, for my liking. Glas Allt Shiel, Shielin of Mark and Callater Stable were often en route to Tarfside.

In my mid teens my parents dropped me off at the Rannoch School of Adv for a week on a winter skills course...probably late 60s or very early 70s. We walked in to the Ben Alder bothy, and had to spend a night high on the slopes in our own freshly dug snow holes. I remember an old gentleman of the road overwintering in that bothy.

Thanks for reminding me.
>>We walked in to the Ben Alder bothy
>>

...one of the memorable facets of my visit is that we didn't.....

Late November some 40 years ago in the days when some of us used to bale-out after work on Friday for a long weekend in the Highlands (fuel must have been somewhat cheaper, and, to quote Bobby, mojo a bit stronger).

Kipped in a mate's car in the bitter cold on the side of the A9, then next morning picked up the key to the estate gate from the Factor's wife in Dalwhinnie (when we knocked on the door, she dropped it out of an upstairs window ""Ye'll be wanting this!").

Drove down just short of Ben Alder Lodge and parked up off the track, only to be immediately approached by the factor. When he ascertained we were heading for the bothy, he replied "we're stalking (hinds) on the approach today". We offered to go to the other bothy, at Blackburn of Pattack, but the same applied there.

"Tell you what", he said, "if you're ready, I'll take you down the Loch with the stalking party in the boat leaving now, and drop you off".

Well, we weren't really ready (though the gear was packed in rucksacks, the food was in boxes in the car boot) but given the offer, we very rapidly were. An awful lot of much heavier provisions went on top, along with a separate box - considerably more than we would have carried in and we set off in the boat with the factor and the owner's son and stalking partner. The latter were dropped off part-way down the Loch, and we got a taxi-ride almost to the door of Ben Alder Cottage.

The factor broke his hip-flask out and shared some single malt, and, having determined when we planned to walk out, re-arranged his future stalking to suit, then disappeared in the boat. Absolutely top bloke.

We had three nights knocking off all the local Munros. Green at ground level, and deep, deep snow from about 1500 feet. Remarkably, as it's in the middle of a 3000 acre plateau, we found the trig point on the top of Ben Alder in a white-out. My mate used it as an example of splendid map and compass work - given even a degree out on the compass bearing would have meant we wouldn't have had any visibility of it, I put it down to luck.

On the morning we left, we saw the factor on the loch from the "path". Given what we'd taken in, and now had to pack out*, we were like walking Christmas trees, but he was amazed at the pace we were making (I was fit, once).

*a lone walker turned up on the last night, and we fed him from our ample provisions, and then left some with him to avoid the load.

Happy days!
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Bobby
I get that TnE
Been off on holiday this week, with plan to catch up on a lot of DIY type stuff this week. But I seem to have just lost my mojo altogether and can’t get motivated for much.

But Thursday was a good weather day so got out on my first 50 mile cycle of the year. Averaged 16mph for first 30 miles but then the last 20 were into the wind! Soul, and leg, destroying! The wind, combined with some steep hills, meant at some stages I was lucky to be doing 7mph but at least I never walked any of it!

Good for the head. Sense of satisfaction. Just need to find where my mojo has gone.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Ted

What a lovely day, I was so pleased for everyone who had organised events up and down the country

I didn't get the bike out but I was up early to pack the Jowett with goodies and go to a local classic car show...only 3 miles....which I had booked months ago. Amazing to see how the event had snowballed since the last time, about 3 years ago due to Covid. Lots of interesting cars, my friend was already there with his 2CV. I got a place under a tree and he soon moved his car next to me in the shade. By afternoon, you couldn't touch any exposed bodywork !

There were plenty of nice cars there including 2 more Jowetts, I know both owners. Next to me was a magnificent 30s Vauxhall. My favourite at this show has been the Morris J Van for some years. We had them in the Police. The usual crop of stuff which you can find every day in Tesco's car park were there. EG...opposite us was a 2014 Audi of some sort...each to his own but had little interest for the crowds !

My neighbour cycled over and shared my butties and various friends and relatives popped in to both 2CV man and me !

A stunning day, not a cloud was seen. I escaped early, I didn't want to get trapped getting out of the park and the car covered itself with glory, albeit a bit tappety !....Fun in the Sun !

Ted
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Runfer D'Hills
Tried to ride my bike yesterday.
Couldn’t, arm and wrist still way too sore and lacking enough mobility.
Fed up.
Couldn’t even get round the block, never mind up a mountain.
What possibly made it worse was that “she” did a long cross country ride yesterday morning while I sat in the sodding garden, again.
:-(
...at least you're not doing all the chores as well...

You do have my sympathy, honest!

(Back's a bit sore(r) again today, but I suspect I'll have another spin this evening.)
Pleased for you, of course.
Ec-flipping-static actually.
;-)
I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

(.....nothing like living vicariously) :-)
So kind. Only if it’s not too much trouble of course. Much appreciated…
...you know it's only a bit of 'armless fun....
Going to try again in a bit. Should have been in the Pyrenees this week on our bikes, had to cancel that, but still have the week off.
I’ll try it with a wrist brace and I’m going to put some new brake pads on the back so they don’t need much pressure.
Main problem is my lack of grip strength in my fingers and pain on flexing my wrist. I can swim no problem at all, but just find it really hard to hold anything in my left hand. Going to a sports physio who tortures me on a regular basis but the doc says I may have to learn to live with limited movement. Sod that of course!
Maybe I just need to “get a grip” eh? ;-)
>> Going to a sports physio who tortures me on a regular basis but the doc says I may have to learn to live with >>limited movement. Sod that of course!
>>

...I'm not quite sure what alternative you're contemplating. :-0

Take advice from the professionals and work at it (but not too hard). I suspect that, over time, even if you have to accept limited movement any pain may improve.

After having the second arthroscopy on the same knee (post a very painful descent in the Austrian Alps) I was told I need an imminent replacement. I then struggled for some months, but it settled down without, and here I am, nine years on, still walking decent distances.

What I will admit is that it has largely stopped me doing big mountain walks (since down, in particular, can be rather unpleasant). What I've done, however, is reset my expectations and continued to get the best out of my preferred pastime as I can. It's not so bad.

Without joking, it might also be the time to reset your expectations. Concentrate on the easier, flatter cycling and (try to) continue to get the best enjoyment you can. Certainly, if you take it a bit easier, there's a chance you'll recover significantly more function over time.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Seriously, aging is a b!tch when the body starts to fail to keep up with the brain. I feel reasonably lucky, as I have (younger) friends who are deteriorating physically more rapidly than me (though I also have a few who aren't - competitive tennis in late 70's for instance).

Good luck!

Chatting with mountain biking friends last night just home from Morzine.

The only damage was too their wallets....€8 a pint apparently.

They didn’t drink half as much as normal, only spent twice as much rehydrating.
Yay!

Just done my first ride since “then” !

Only 6 miles and just on flat tarmac cycle paths but I can’t begin to say how chuffed I am!

Quite sore now so it’s either paracetamol or beer in the garden now…

Hmmm…

;-)
..sounds good(ish).

"Paracetamol in the garden" - that's a thing in Cheshire then, is it?
With beer, yes I think so. But I’ll do without both for now I think, swimming tonight I expect.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Zero

>> Quite sore now so it’s either paracetamol or beer in the garden now…

Both.

Muscle strength fades badly and takes a while to build up. 6 weeks of non use is noticeable by anyone. Generally future mobility is dependent on what you do now. After my major hoo ha's these past few years I have followed the rule that do something (walk, mobilise, exercise) daily up to the point you can do comfortably, then push briefly into the uncomfortable.

Next day, get to the same point, and push the comfort level a tad more. That way you have and more importantly see and feel an improvement in fitness.

Its worked well for me, I have always fully recovered fitness to pre incident levels.
Certainly found that with the swimming Z. At first all I could do was go in slow circles while whimpering. Then, I managed 3 full lengths while crying, but now I’m back up to half a mile of front crawl a night with just the occasional involuntary grunt!

Anyway, my wife has just helped me to put the bike rack back on the car. That hurt more than riding the damn bike to be honest. It may not get used, but it’s at least a declaration of intent eh?

Might try to get to a (flat) forest tomorrow, we’ll see. Never say never and all that.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - tyrednemotional
..well, that'll teach me!

Time for a bit of Schadenfreude, Runfer.

Set off on the same circuit this evening. Enjoying myself and going even faster than yesterday, about 8 miles in, I lost the back end braking on loose gravel (there was a reason for the braking which is too tedious to relate).

Came off very hard, which is not good news on gravel in shorts and tee-shirt. Big lumps out of left knee and elbow, right hand, and a brake-lever score up my stomach.

Quite in shock for a bit, and the bike took damage as well. Luckily it was rideable after being pulled about a bit, and after a few minutes so was I, but still 6 miles back shortest.

A bit concerned about my shoulder/collar bone at first, but it managed the 6 miles and I think it's just "battered".

Now very sore and soaking blood away and searching out large wound dressings.

Wine and ibuprofen party in the garden later (we're a bit up-market on Cheshire) with co-codamol for when things hot up later.

It's the second time this year I've been surprised how I can still bounce at my advanced years. Don't think there'll be another spin tomorrow, though. :-(
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - Dog
You two clowns need to take it easy!

The ole woman and I used to cycle from Las Americas to La Caleta along THAT busy, busy road once a week, and back via the coast path to Los Cristianos where we lived.

Never came orf once in 3 years. Maybe you two are getting too old for that sort of thing.

[smiley]
>>Maybe you two are getting too old for that sort of thing.
>>

...well, I think Runfer probably is.....
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - Runfer D'Hills
Oh heck T&E!
Hope you’re sorted soon. We’ve sort of decided to try a bit of off-roading in a forest tomorrow. Nothing too heavy duty, but I’m so missing it.
I have a very hurty shoulder (but I'm sort of 80%+ that's nothing broken - no restricted movement, just hurts). In addition to three very spectacular wounds, I also seem to have gravel-rash in the most unexpected of places (and a good variety of the same).

As I sit here typing blood is running down my shin from my knee, a most odd feeling.

I'm miffed, because I was enjoying myself - and it'll be a little bit before I get out again (I expect to be very stiff and sore tomorrow).

But (subject to the shoulder thing) it's hopefully temporary inconvenience rather than permanent (and given current circumstances, I really don't need an injury that stops me driving).

Worse things happen at sea, and my thoughts have turned to whether the level of damage on the bike merits a new one, or repair, or even both, so it can't be that bad, can it. ;-)

(Wipes blood from keyboard).

The sort of riding I was doing would probably be ideal for you. Forest tracks with some inclines, but nothing too challenging, (except the bits where you fall off!) and quite varied. A bit like Delamere, but Sherwood Pines, which I skirt, also has some reasonably gentle MTB routes.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - zippy
Hope it's nothing too serious T&E and that you patch up soon!
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 11 Jul 22 at 22:37
Take it easy. I was convinced I’d just badly sprained my wrist and arm for nearly 3 days. When treating it with Ibuprofen, paracetamol and whisky didn’t improve matters, and indeed “she” forced me, I went to A&E on the third day.
As previously reported, there were breaks in four different locations on my left arm and wrist.
Maybe get it checked out in the morning eh? Can’t hurt. Well, it can I suppose. ;-)
...SWMBO broke the joint head off her upper arm a year or so ago (falling off a stile, partially due to the hip issues now hopefully behind us - pun intended). It was entirely obvious straight away - I have no similar symptoms other than joint pain.

I can almost imagine I can see my patella, though :-(

If it continues, I'll certainly follow up, but I'm reasonably confident.

I've only knowingly broken a bone once - at the top of my little finger at school by punching someone (who really, really deserved it, and even then I'm not proud of it). It took ages to mend.

I have a strong suspicion I did something to my shin/ankle (greenstick?) years ago on Hardcastle Crags, but that doesn't seem to have had too much long term effect. And I'm more than 50% sure I cracked some ribs last year when the stepladder I was on broke (and I bounced) but they don't treat cracked ribs anyway.

As they say "Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred, strong in the arm and weak in the head".

If I don't post tomorrow, you can put me down as "suicide by eBike".
And I thought your bike was one most people wouldn’t be seen dead on!
;-)
...I'll ignore that, but it did pull up a genuine thought.

I know you've been a bit resistant to ebikes (though not completely long-term) but I do genuinely wonder whether one would provide a good rehabilitation path for you.

The assistance means that you have to put less effort in than you might, and that means less stress on the arms.

It might provide a way forward (either interim until you recover or longer term if you don't). It would possibly be a way to continue doing what you enjoy at a more early rate.

One of the issues, of course, is that you get used to it (though it brought a smile to my face for 1 and 1/2 evenings).
Guess I could borrow yours for a few weeks? Y’know research and so on…not likely that you’re going to be using it for a while…
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 11 Jul 22 at 23:16
...well, there's the (now) somewhat-brokey one, and there's the number two (pardon the expression) which is an excellent road-biased bike to give a try.

I really like number two for roads, it's almost Dutch-bike style (not quite) and very comfortable, but not as good on trails (rims/tyres too narrow) and a bit low-geared for me.

'Course you can try it, give me a bell ;-)

It really was a serious suggestion - I reckon my knees are just about up to a non-ebike now, but not in the interim, and going there maintained the enjoyment (SWMBO even more).
Aye, it might come to that yet. Tomorrow will be a test of whether it’s too much too soon or whatever. Looking forward to it (I think). Still can’t do my laces up though. :-(
If I am not visiting clients I normally work from home. However, to keep a local business centre open, I have been asked to pop in on my work from home days and I am happy to do that.

The bonus is that it may make be eligible for the Bike2Work scheme.

I wouldn't mind an electric bike so recommendations would be appreciated, up to say £2k give or take and due to my bad back, a more up-right riding position would be appreciated.

Any recommendations please?

A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - Duncan
>> I wouldn't mind an electric bike so recommendations would be appreciated, up to say £2k
>> give or take and due to my bad back, a more up-right riding position would
>> be appreciated.
>>
>> Any recommendations please?

My recommendation would be to find someone locally who builds them as a small/one man band business and go to him (her?).

I have had an electric bike for over six years now - Oxygen CB - bought from eBikes Direct in Bodiam on the Kent/Sussex border.

www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/

They do their own brand called Basis (I think), but I think if you were starting again from scratch, I would, as I said above, find a small independent builder locally. I can put you you on to my local chap, but this is in leafy Surrey and you are miles away, aren't you?
>>e-bikes direct

Are just about a bike ride from me. They don't take personal visits though, only web or phone orders.
>> >>e-bikes direct
>>
>> Are just about a bike ride from me. They don't take personal visits though, only
>> web or phone orders.
>>

They do from me. Have you got the right people? Bodiam?
>>
>> They do from me. Have you got the right people? Bodiam?
>>

Yes, it's about 10 miles from me as the crow flies.

Perhaps I spoke to the wrong person on their telesales. I will give them another call next week.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - Manatee
>>Any recommendations please?

I was going to ask if the bike I have would be suitable, but Cube seem to have shot up in price. I paid under £2,000 for the 2020 model of this one, but they are now £2,800 on the same site. Mine has the Active Plus (IIRC) 50Nm motor which is absolutely fine, I see they now have the next motor up.

www.bikester.co.uk/cube-touring-hybrid-one-625-M1012022.html?vgid=G1485455

I changed the bar for a swept back style as I have a neck problem and need to be head up, added a suspension seatpost and my saddle of choice and I find it very comfortable on roads.

Have a look at the Ortlers on the same site. They are very similar to Cube based on the only one I've seen

www.bikester.co.uk/ortler-montreux-6100-intube-diamond-M975285.html?vgid=G1418934&cgid=38448

There tend to be step through and trapeze versions of most road based models as well as the standard crossbar.

That one is a Shimano motor. Daughter has two bikes with those, which have been good.

There's a lot to be said for buying from your LBS (local bike shop) although Bikester is good for browsing and I ended up buying from them as most shops here had no stock at the time.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 12 Jul 22 at 09:24
Sadly, and perhaps astonishingly, you’ll not get much of an electric bike for your budget Zippy.
As with most things in life, it’s not usually a good thing to buy cheap. If it’s not too far to your office, you might be better to get a decent “analogue” bike.
...first recommendation, given your requirement on riding position, would be to make sure you test a few bikes out (at least for size/sitting position, if not actually, though preferably, a ride).

As in non-electric bikes, frames come in a multitude of shapes, styles and sizes and you need to find the best "fit" for you.

As mentioned above, I have two. The original is more of a road bike, upright and with a continental German/Dutch riding stance. It is noticeably more comfortable for a relaxed ride than the other, which is more of a hybrid style with wider tyres and more suitable for rougher trails and tracks.

Either will suffice for both categories of riding, but the "correct" one for the terrain is much more adept and enjoyable than the other.

Whilst they might look less "masculine", I wouldn't write off a unisex step-thru frame (particularly for road use) as they make mounting/dismounting rather more easy (and often have a more upright riding position). Good for back problems.

Decide whether you want derailleur or hub gears. (for road use I'd probably go hub)

All the above is common to standard or electric bikes.

Beyond that, my recommendations become more focussed. You can pay what you want for an eBike, and the quality/functionality generally reflects the outlay.

I think the entry-level sweet-spot for cost vs quality and functionality is in the £2-2.5K range (sometimes depending on the discounts available for last-year's models). Assuming mainly road use, a fully-equipped decent model (mudguards, lights, rack, etc.) can be had from any number of known manufacturers.

What I would definitely recommend is crank-drive (electric motor on the bottom bracket between the pedals), battery in or on the frame tubing (I prefer on for wider replacement options, but in looks neater but can be specific to the bike - both are a better weight distribution than a battery on a rear rack). Minimum of 400Wh battery (500Wh is better, for range of course).

Last but not least, I'd go for a Bosch motor. Only one of our four bikes is such, so it isn't prejudice - all the motor systems have their plus and minus points, but Bosch is much more ubiquitous, which makes maintenance and spares easier, and in some cases, as I'm finding, rather cheaper.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - Bromptonaut
>> If I am not visiting clients I normally work from home. However, to keep a
>> local business centre open, I have been asked to pop in on my work from
>> home days and I am happy to do that.

What sort of distances?

How are the roads?

Are there steep hills?
>> What sort of distances?
>>

2 miles - though occasionally 15 (each way so 4 / 30)

>> How are the roads?
>>

Short trip town centre, longer trip a roads (not dual)

>> Are there steep hills?
>>
>>

Yes lots and quite steep.
The mid drive bikes are to my mind the best for a bit of commuting and very natural to pedal. Mine's a Bosch with a 625Wh battery which I reckon I could get 80 miles out of the way I use it.

I also have a front hub drive Brompton (so two wheel drive when I'm pedalling!) which is OK for shortish journeys as it has a small battery, but it has fixed levels of power that are unrelated to rider effort, which you get used to but it does not feel like a normal bike.

Have you somewhere safe to leave it at the office? E-bikes are thief magnets.

I'm just about to go for the paper on the Cube.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - Zero

>> Still can’t do
>> my laces up though. :-(

Crocks! ideal solution
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - legacylad
Doesn’t he already have a pot on his arm ?
>>Crocks! ideal solution

I'm a convert. Perfect just now in the heat as they are full of holes for cooling the plates. Although I'm not sure they're suitable for cycling.
They are not “suitable” for anything. They are an aberration. :-(
Anyway, we’ve managed to get both bikes onto the car roof just now. Off to Delamere shortly, which we would normally see as a pretty lightweight run, but today it feels like a bit more of a challenge.
Gulp!
Be fine.
;-)
Good luck. Stay onboard.

TnE (stiffer than a stiff thing on Viagra this morning - I've discovered an awful lot more places where I ether hit the ground, or the bike hit me!).
I’m just going to stick to the fire trails, no doubt “she” will hook off onto some of the more twiddly bits that involve a bit of “air time” here and there. I’ll just be happy if I can get round without weeping!

Quite impressed that at 5’ 2” and only just north of 8st she managed fine in getting the bikes on the roof. I simply couldn’t have done that yet I’m afraid.

Are you sure you are not in need of further assessment? Sounds like you’ve clattered yourself good and properly. Not good at your age… ;-)
...it certainly wasn't minor....

...and I'm not entirely sure that there isn't something that needs fixing (shoulder) but I still think it's a knock. (I rode back 6 miles without the shoulder troubling me unduly - it kicked in later).

I did consider begging a spliff off the kids playing in the river that I passed on the way back. The smell of weed was carrying rather a long way.

TBH, I went very wobbly after getting up this morning, but bed well behind me, I've now loosened up somewhat, with the help of an ice pack on the shoulder. it's now rather better. Still an awful lot of deep gravel rash, though, which is sore.

Bike needs a new hydraulic brake lever, a new front mudguard (I can nearly match it and it has proprietary fixings), a new bell (if I can be ar$ed), and one pedal has taken some flak (but I've got spares). About £100 if I do it myself (which I will).

Hope it eases a bit soon T&E. Have you tried/contemplated driving yet today? Is your car an auto or a manual? I “can” drive a manual at the moment except for selecting reverse which requires me to reach across and use my right hand. Fortunately my car is an automatic with gear selection on the column so no problem there.

Anyway (feel free to congratulate, or otherwise be in awe of me if it feels appropriate) ;-) we’ve just “done” Delamere. Hurt like a (female dog) at times, but as the ride progressed, the arm began to remember what was expected of it. Even managed a little drop off at the end of a boardwalk (only about 18inches) but it felt ok really. Not exactly getting air but at least the front wheel was off the ground briefly! As expected, she did some of the trickier stuff while I stuck mainly to the simple trails.

Knackered now mind. Might try something a bit more challenging tomorrow…we’ll see.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 12 Jul 22 at 14:12
>> Hope it eases a bit soon T&E.

TBH I think he is trying to push the sympathy vote a tad too enthusiastically.

"blood dripping down legs while typin"

Pffttt,

Got more sympathy for the bike TBH, how is it feeling with a bent brake lever?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 12 Jul 22 at 14:16
..the bike sends its regards, Z, says it's looking forward to it's lever transplant, and enquires how you are coping with a bent sense of sympathy...
Someone has to stick up for it, you'll be blaming next for pitching you off.
Did Delamere again today. Still don’t feel quite up to a “proper” mtb centre, but pleased enough to have coped with, and indeed thoroughly enjoyed bashing about on some forest trails again. Still hurts a bit (ok a lot) and I can’t quite grip the left side of the bars well enough yet, but the confidence is coming back.
Might switch the front and rear brake levers around continental style. Can’t really get a lot of pressure on the back brake yet which could prove inconvenient off road, especially if (ok when) I get daft enough to try a more challenging venue… ;-)
Fitness has dropped off a lot. Don’t like it. Some of the fairly minor climbs made themselves known today. Anyway, back to the pool tonight to untangle the protesting body parts.

How is the shoulder etc today T&E?
>> Fitness has dropped off a lot. Don’t like it. Some of the fairly minor climbs
>> made themselves known today. Anyway, back to the pool tonight to untangle the protesting body
>> parts.

Did I mention that in the days when I was doing fairly serious distance running, we used to reckon that it took three times as long to get back to fitness again as the period when there was no training? i.e. a month off injured meant three months before one got back to original fitness.
Really? Oh joy!
..at the risk of some readers thinking I'm milking it...

...very stiff today. Still pretty sure the shoulder is just deep bruising. No limited mobility, but it hurts (when the wind is in the West).

Everywhere else, I have bruises on bruises. There's a lot of pointy bits on a bike, and I think I must have hit most of them, just for good effect after exhausting those on the terrain.

The worst bit is the knee, which, with a tight dressing on is not pleasant to bend, though once in any new position, it ceases to hurt. Drove the Smart today with absolutely no issues, except getting in and out. It isn't helped by the fact that the thigh above the affected knee has now developed very deep bruising.

It'll be a while before I'm on a bike again (that one wants fettling anyway, with the parts on order from Deutschland - that could be a bit of a Customs shock!), the better news is that I am still mobile, can still walk a bit faster than SWMBO (but not a lot now), and it isn't inhibiting the housework (if that can be seen as better news).

..and, though I doubted I would, I got off to sleep last night ok.

(re: the comment on reversing the brakes. I posted some time ago about being told mine were the wrong way round in Germany. One part I have on order is a hydraulic brake lever, which took rather more than cosmetic damage. It's the left (rear) one, but I've had to order a "front" one from Germany due to that reversal. (It is listed in the detail as left, though)).
That’s a point, I was sort of thinking that it ought to easy to just switch the levers around for a while if there’s enough slack in the cables (hoses). But, I hadn’t thought about them being hydraulic levers which may not like being upside down I guess. Hmmm.
If there is enough slack, then you could consider switching the hydraulic lines over.

I'm patently going to have to detach mine to replace the unit and (Shimano) it looks like removal of an 8mm retaining nut (I'm assuming a compression fit) pull the hydraulic line and then re-fit.

Need to bleed afterwards, but I've been there, done that on this bike, and have a kit. Keeping the hydraulic line high when detached should minimise issues.

If it would make a big difference for you, then maybe worthwhile getting a bike mechanic to do it.

Beware "learned behaviour" if you do switch.
Yeah true enough, but I guess you’d only get it wrong once eh? ;-)
>>If there is enough slack, then you could consider switching the hydraulic lines over.

...well, I know you're not going to do it, but I think I'd advise caution if you were. ;-)

I acquired the replacement brake-lever from Germany (it has to be a specific model, as it combines with the (undamaged) left gearshifter in a single mount). Luckily, and I expect because the company has a UK VAT registration, etc. I didn't get hit with any supplements to the price even though it had to go through customs clearance.

The unit afixes to the hydraulic line via an "olive" much like a copper pipe compression joint, but because the line is plastic/nylon, it requires a short metal insert to push into the open end, onto which the olive can clamp the line.

Both olive and insert might have been re-usable (though I don't think I'd fancy that on a brake line) but I'd wrecked a bit of trim that covers the line, and is the wrong side of the olive and impossible to pass over, so it had to come off anyway. Needless to say, the insert and olive didn't come with the lever (the trim did!) so eBay came up trumps at c£1.70.

People have pulled the olive off with pliers, but it wouldn't work for me, so the line was cut (losing 5mm at most), and the olive and insert removed. Everything was placed in order on the line (trim, nut, olive, insert) and it was offered up to the lever and firmly fixed by compression.

Success.

Now, only the line to bleed. I have a bleeding kit, and have done this before, but it absolutely wasn't playing ball this time. Repeated attempts to pump mineral oil and expel air were required, until I was getting rather fraught (not least because a leak appeared to have hit the pads and rotor).

Finally, though, against my growing fears, I have a lever that is firmer than it has ever been, and squeaky brakes which I put down to contamination. The rotor is relatively easily cleaned using Isopropyl Alcohol, but the pads may well be a write-off (I am going to see if they bed in).

It took rather more time than it should have, but it is a result (at worst, a new set of pads, which are not expensive should cure the squeak). I'm please I've done it and got it over with, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't got a day on their hands.

On a short test, the bike seem to ride OK. I'm not so sure about me though ;-)
Well done. I’d put new pads in anyway, safety first and all that ;-)
I’ve not messed about with the brakes, in fact my injuries seem to have taken a welcome turn for the better this past few days. Still nowhere near (or even halfway to be honest) back to full strength but a lot more grip than I’ve had. Still a bit sore on bumpy terrain but way better.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - Kevin
> I have a bleeding kit, and have done this before, but it absolutely wasn't playing ball this time.

Poor bike has probably seen enough bleeding recently.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - bathtub tom
>> > I have a bleeding kit,

Is that the same as an 'oil spill kit' that I had to carry on competition? Made one up from a couple of vinyl gloves, cat litter and a plastic bag in a tupperware box. The official kit cost a fortune and seemed to be much the same. I always passed scrutineering.

>>
>> (re: the comment on reversing the brakes. I posted some time ago about being told
>> mine were the wrong way round in Germany. One part I have on order is
>> a hydraulic brake lever, which took rather more than cosmetic damage. It's the left (rear)
>> one, but I've had to order a "front" one from Germany due to that reversal.
>> (It is listed in the detail as left, though)).

Shirley left is left, and right is right, regardless of Continental/British. It's the cables that are different lengths so on the opposite sides?
Aye but, hydraulic brake levers have valves on top to allow topping up of brake fluid. Switching them round would turn them upside down come to think. Might work, not sure.
Indeed, but the point I was making is that it is headline advertised as "front brake lever". The picture is a minor giveaway, but there is one place in the scope of delivery which describes it as "left".

A "left" lever is a left lever everywhere, but on the Continent a left lever is the front brake, in the UK it's the rear.

So, I've bought a front brake lever because I need a rear one. ;-)
>> ..at the risk of some readers thinking I'm milking it...
>>
Moooooo
Pull the udder one Z…
;-)

In fairness, I bet it’s damn sore. Old bloke like that and all…
...well, you're well qualified to judge...
Ah I see, that’s what I get for sticking up for you is it?
A lesser man could easily be quite put out by that…
I’ll put it down to your current discomfort.
Perhaps a mug of Ovaltine would be nice?

;-)
...go ahead. I'm sure it'll help you.

(About the closest to your "...teenies" you'll have been for a long time).
Not for me thanks, but I do remember my parents saying it was very comforting! Just thought it might have been something you’d relate to what with your, well, y’know age, I suppose…
Never mind, it was just a thought. But do keep a rug handy, it’s surprising how cold it can feel I’m told if there’s a bit of a draft…
Maybe there’s a suitable one in the back of the beige Volvo?
;-)))
Was going to cut the grass this pm but it’s just started to rain a bit. I wasn’t particularly looking forward to another fight with my petrol strimmer. Might just go and kick it anyway.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 12 Jul 22 at 14:25
>TBH I think he is trying to push the sympathy vote a tad too enthusiastically.

Similar thoughts Z.

Still, I don't think I'd resort to something so drastic just to compete with the wife's hip surgery.

>> Still, I don't think I'd resort to something so drastic just to compete with the
>> wife's hip surgery.

Sometimes things turn out worse than you plan.........
>> Hope it eases a bit soon T&E. ...

I'm pretty sure the shoulder is "soft tissue" injury. I've got near full articulation, though some of it is painful. Repeated ice-pack use has helped.

TBH, the most debilitating bit is my knee, where the whole of the area of the knee-cap and more has been replaced by red-mush deep gravel-rash. bending it is not a particularly welcome task. My elbow and forearm are very similar over a large area, but strangely nowhere near as restricting.

Lots of bruises appearing, all over, but they are only bruises.

Can't say driving the car(s) will be much challenge, as they're both auto, but the 'van is scheduled for a 350 mile round trip next week, and that isn't auto. I think I could just about do it now, so if the shoulder doesn't drop-off, I should probably be OK.

It is of course bad-timing, as SWMBO isn't yet fully mobile (just done about a mile walk with her on crutches (her not me!) and I'm down to her speed today. There's less demand on me over the last few days, but she still needs significant assistance, and certainly isn't anywhere near ready for driving).
Sounds like the knee will be the most inconvenient for a while. Anything that has to bend to be functional with the concurrent need to heal is tricky.
Seriously though, you brokeback mountain bikers need to watch it with all these injuries, as they could well set up arthritis in later life.
Later life doesn’t seem like much fun from what I can see, I’m all for having a good time now!
I may of course revise that opinion in due course, but more or less everything I like doing requires at least a modicum of residual fitness. When that’s gone, well its gone I guess.
>>Later life doesn't seem like much fun from what I can see, I'm all for having a good time now!

Nothing wrong in that of course - life is for living!, but there's no harm in taking a bit more care.

I nearly lost an eye a few months ago when a twig in the garden tried to remove it, so I always wear eye protection now when using the strimmer or hedge trimmer.

I thought of you two when I was 5ft up a stepladder on uneven ground doing some hedge trimming this afternoon.

I don't like heights anyway, since I fell off a ladder at age 15 when I was a window cleaner and ended up in Guy's.

I'm 70 in a few months and can do everything I could 10 or 20 years ago (including that!) but as my ole mum used to say "no one knows what is round the corner".

A lovely evening for a bike ride (not) - bathtub tom
>> the most debilitating bit is my knee, where the whole of the area of the knee-cap and more >>has been replaced by red-mush deep gravel-rash.

Ah! Scabby knees. I still remember them from when I was a kid. The expected joy of picking at the scab and then regretting it.
>>Ah! Scabby knees. I still remember them from when I was a kid. The expected
>> joy of picking at the scab and then regretting it.

Esential tho if you wanted scars.
...just a bit of temporary diversion from rickets back in the day...
>>my car is an automatic with gear selection on the column

How quaint, does the car have a bench seat as well.

:o}
"Three on the tree, four on the floor".

Actually our Saab 96 had four on the tree. I liked it. Manuel of course.
...made in Barcelona...?
We took the Westfield to Barcelona once. Not sure if I’ve ever mentioned that?
Here’s an odd thing. I haven’t been able to comfortably wear a watch on my left wrist since my cast came off. It was still too swollen and tender. So I’ve been wearing them on my right wrist, but it just feels wrong.
Anyway, as my arm gets a bit stronger and less inflamed, I’ve found that I can just about get on with wearing a watch on my left wrist again, albeit a metal one still feels a bit uncomfortable.
Today though, I chose to wear my old faithful plastic G Shock digital thing that I use to time myself on the bike or in the pool.
It is not a thing of beauty by anyone’s standards, but I’m kind of fond of it for its functionality.
But here’s the point (at last, I guess you’re thinking?) I wore it in the swimming pool tonight for the first time since my accident and it provided an unexpected and most useful additional benefit. It weighs very little, but it is quite wide and has a wide-ish strap which I wear reasonably tight to stop it moving about too much in use. It was noticeable how much support it gave to my still fairly pathetically limp wrist in the water, and I think it contributed to making my swimming strokes much stronger and more confident. Certainly felt that way anyway.
I’m nowhere near back to my pre-flight times but not so far off them that it doesn’t feel achievable in due course.
Not entirely sure what the moral of this particular story is, or indeed why I begin to think it might be if interest to others, but I suppose if there is one, it is “get yourself a cheap plastic watch if you’ve hurt your wrist “ I guess.
;-)

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 13 Jul 22 at 22:22
Healing a bit now T&E? Hope so anyway.

I’ve managed to torture a bit more grip/movement into my fingers so I’m managing (sort of) to use the back brake enough to feel a little more confident on the bike. Rough surfaces + a bit of speed are still fairly uncomfortable, but pottering around forest trails at moderate pace is now pleasant as opposed to painful.

Might see about trying out a pointy part of Wales next week…
..thanks for asking.

It's certainly not now getting any worse! I think the shoulder is at the start of getting better (I still don't think it's anything but soft-tissue/ligament injury, probably around the rotator cuff - and given I've retained full articulation, I'm not going to go and sit in A&E for 48 hours to find out!).

New bruises have stopped appearing, but the most debilitating stuff is the various large areas of deep gravel-rash. I've managed to get them pretty clean, but being deep they're going to take some healing. They are, rather naturally, in all the areas that "touch" surfaces, so relaxing is not the easiest, either sitting or in bed, and the bath is "interesting". Even with non-stick absorbent dressings, they "weep" enough to make things quite unpleasant.

A measure of the improvement is that I have to do a 350 mile round trip in the 'van on Tuesday for it's annual warranty check, and I'm now less worried about driving it than the weather forecast!

(I've just been to fill it up for the journey, no problems at all driving, other than being unable to rest my left arm on the armrest, and I bounced the £99 pump limit before it was full (and it was over !14 full already). I think that probably hurt more than the other downsides of this week. ;-) )
>.. no problems at all driving, other than being unable to rest my left arm on the armrest,..

This thread sparked a memory of a guy we saw on holiday.
His left arm was in plaster from fingers to elbow and he walked past us heading for the beach. He'd stuffed one of those full arm length latex gloves into the back pocket of his shorts and the thing was trailing behind him inflated by the breeze and waving.
Everyone was in stitches and he didn't have a clue why they were laughing.
>>.. no problems at all driving, other than being unable to rest my left arm on the armrest,..

Had occasion to use “her” car today which is a manual. No problem really other than selecting reverse. Have to pull up a little collar thing on the gearstick which my dodgy left hand just can’t do yet. Had to lean over and use my right hand.

Fed up with being like this.
>> Had to lean over and use my
>> right hand.
>>
>> Fed up with being like this.
>>

Could it possibly be anything to do with the shoes you are wearing?
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Kevin
I thought you said you were going to get the motorhome serviced TnE?

tinyurl.com/ye23wvb3
...methinks you have "tiny'd" a link associated with a previous post.... ????

(and it's tomorrow).
>...methinks you have "tiny'd" a link associated with a previous post.... ????

I really must learn about these new fangled computering thingies.

Which one was yours?

tinyurl.com/ycywp6p5
...had to pull out (oooh matron).

A dodgy shoulder and scabby knees rather cramp one's style (though rather less than early-onset dementia).

>> A dodgy shoulder and scabby knees rather cramp one's style…

No one would notice in Somerset. Especially if you borrowed a dog on a string, took your shoes off and made sure you smelled a bit herbal.

;-)
...all that's a cinch, except perhaps the dog, but I think the event that Kevin's been researching (begs a question doesn't it) was in East Anglia somewhere, not Somerset.
>..the event that Kevin's been researching..

Researching? Researching? Absolutely not. I don't even own a motorhome.

>..in East Anglia somewhere, not Somerset.

It's Bedfordshire. Berrywood Farm, on RHS opposite the airfield as you head south out of the village.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Duncan
>> >...methinks you have "tiny'd" a link associated with a previous post.... ????
>>
>> I really must learn about these new fangled computering thingies.
>>

Piece of cake

tinyurl.com/app
Why, thank-you Duncan. But it's now asking me if I want cookies, how do I tell it I'd prefer a piece of cake?
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Duncan
Just say, politely, but firmly, no thank you.
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Clk Sec
>> But it's now asking me if I want cookies

Aren't they just a pain in the rump...
 A lovely evening for a bike ride - Zero
Now we know what happened to Humph

www.youtube.com/shorts/Pi_OQBGF6yY
Latest Forum Posts