Non-motoring > Expect a telegraph pole by your drive ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 12

Expect a telegraph pole by your drive ? - henry k
Surrey telegraph poles needed for broadband 'an eyesore'

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-62035370

We already have BT poles and cable in our street.
They replaced the old cable from the pole with a thicker one when my neighbour got fibre optics.
 Expect a telegraph pole by your drive ? - Rudedog
Even though I'm on the very outer edge of the borough of Bromley/Kent when NTL wanted to bring fibre here they were told that they had to lay cable to every household, this meant miles and miles of pavement/road being dug up and all of the issues that brings.... not sure what would be worse although there seems to far to much 'road furniture' popping up around here.

Expect a telegraph pole by your drive ? - CGNorwich
The real eyesore on our streets is of course the huge number of parked cars. The plain fact is that there are far too many and cars are too big for our narrow urban streets. They are parked on pavements, they reduce visibility, they deprive others such as the disabled and children of usage of the space and create danger to pedestrians . A few more wooden poles I can live with.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Jul 22 at 10:45
 Expect a telegraph pole by your drive ? - Terry
I don't understand why cables are required.

With 4G, and 5G on the horizon, data connectivity without cables is entirely feasible - far less infrastructure and disruption. We may simply be installing a network which will be obsolete almost before it is complete.

Or have I missed something important?
 Expect a telegraph pole by your drive ? - Manatee
People aren't especially happy about being bathed in radio waves, vide 5g.

Round here quite a few people use microwave connections successfully. It's dearer than FTTC and I suppose if universal then the forest of aerials would be worse than occasional poles.

Expect a telegraph pole by your drive ? - Zero
>> People aren't especially happy about being bathed in radio waves, vide 5g.
>>

Too late, that ship has sailed. You are already soaked in radio waves. And 5g is no worse than the rest.
>> >> People aren't especially happy about being bathed in radio waves, vide 5g.
>> >>
>>
>> Too late, that ship has sailed. You are already soaked in radio waves. And 5g
>> is no worse than the rest.

Well, yes. But as the amount of data grows rapidly it won't get any better and spectrum becomes a consideration. Fibre is quite a good solution for houses, which don't move around. Radio can do the mobile stuff.

There's probably a niche demand for microwave (line of sight).

>> Well, yes. But as the amount of data grows rapidly it won't get any better

Thats the point about radio waves, they are there at the same intensity even if thy aint being used.

>>and spectrum becomes a consideration.

No idea What Captain Scarlet has to do with it.

Seriously - Health wise its about wattage, frequency and proximity - Which is why all are limited.
Its never going to get worse than having 2g 1cm away from your brain, that never killed us off.

Technologies largest and most important advances have been about capacity and speed avoiding spectrum spread, because useable spectrum is limited - mostly by physics.

Exactly, the spectrum is limited. I'm not sure power is constant. I can't remember any of the detail but as the density of base stations grows with peak volume needs it becomes feasible to use the network dynamically so base stations can be shut down for extended periods when demand is low, with 'on' cells picking up the traffic.

Personally I have bigger worries than radio waves, so essentially I agree with you. I'm pretty sure something else will get me first. Certainly cellphone transmission power is very much lower with digital than analogue (maybe a tenth, or better).

Cellular technology is seriously impressive to me, on the level of magic really, and there is much more to come as I perceive it. I still marvel at the casual use of mobiles for mostly trivial purposes by nearly everybody. Makes me wonder what could be achieved through technology where it really matters.
>> Exactly, the spectrum is limited. I'm not sure power is constant.

Not its not but it has a maximum, and the maximum for several reasons varies.

>> Personally I have bigger worries than radio waves,

Phew for one moment I had visions you becoming a tin foil hat wearer, thank god I saved you and pulled you from the brink.

>>Makes me wonder what could be achieved through technology where it really matters.

EMF is serving us everywhere, for the greater good in the medical world, In history exploration and geology, but alas its biggest future and where the big bucks are going is the military for destructive and disruptive purposes.

Expect a telegraph pole by your drive ? - bathtub tom
>>There's probably a niche demand for microwave (line of sight).

A Cambridge based company tried that years ago for telephony (forget what they were called). You can still see the square aerials on some houses. Let down by foggy weather I believe.
>> >>There's probably a niche demand for microwave (line of sight).
>>
>> A Cambridge based company tried that years ago for telephony (forget what they were called).
>> You can still see the square aerials on some houses. Let down by foggy weather
>> I believe.

The people flogging microwave internet round here acknowledge that but claim higher resilience than wired, by using a power margin and some sort of backup, I can't remember quite what.
>> >> >>There's probably a niche demand for microwave (line of sight).
>> >>
>> >> A Cambridge based company tried that years ago for telephony (forget what they were
>> called).
>> >> You can still see the square aerials on some houses. Let down by foggy
>> weather
>> >> I believe.

Technology has, by and large, overcome those issues. What they can not and never will overcome is interruption to line of sight. Which is where Starlink comes in.
Latest Forum Posts