Non-motoring > Pounds Shillings and Pence Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 32

Pounds Shillings and Pence - zippy
The only thing that I recall from pre-decimalisation is getting a thruppenny bit as pocket money every once in a while.

I have been watching "Look at Life" on Talking Pictures and lots of items in shops seemed to be priced just in shillings - e.g. a pair of shoes at 40' or 45'. (The film is from the very late 1950's or early 60's so I guess they are not pence or perhaps they were?)

Can some of the wiser forum members please educate me as to why these items were not priced up as £2 or £2, 5s?

Thanks.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Terry
In 1960 I was 7 and the average wage was £14 per week - about 6 shillings an hour (about 30p).

My pocket money age 7 was 7d (in old pence = ~3p). I was able to buy a comic and a packet of sweets. When I was 8 it increased to 8d .... A loaf of bread was 1 shilling (5p).

Guineas (21 shillings) were still commonly used for billing in the professions (lawyers, accountants, architects etc) despite coinage going out of circulation ~150 years earlier.

Why things were priced in shillings - perhaps most people found it easier to differentiate the price of one product against another as the figures would be evidently different.

We possibly do similar today - eg: buying (say) clothing we may look at the first number on the price label - eg: a pair of shoes costing £30 or £40, or £50. We often do not differentiate on price between (say) £42 and £44.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Duncan
Are you really sure you want to do this?

During the war - that's World War 2, not the Crimean - I was given 6d to go to Saturday morning pictures in Whitton. There was a Ritz cinema - later the Odeon - at the bottom of the High Street. I went with my cousin for a while, but then he died when he was 8.

Later, when my brother was 14 and got a Saturday morning job, he gave me 6d a week as well. Later still, I inherited his Saturday job, quite good pay as a butcher's boy, 12s 6d to start, rising to 15s, and then 17s a week.

We have done all this previously, haven't we?
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - bathtub tom
>>We have done all this previously, haven't we?

Dunno, can't remember.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Clk Sec
>> >>We have done all this previously, haven't we?

Five bob says we haven't...
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - R.P.
Guineas (21 shillings) were still commonly used for billing in the professions (lawyers, accountants, architects etc) despite coinage going out of circulation ~150 years earlier.

Our next door neighbour in the last place is a farmer, he sold some sort of sheep for a hideous amount of money quite recently. This was priced in Guineas..see below;

"A ram lamb from his Rhaeadr flock at Tan-Yr-Accar, Llanrhaeadr , sold for £131,25 to lead the trade on a day the sale average jumped 26%.

His sale leader was Rhaeadr Best of the Best, a much fancied lamb by the 70,000gns Teiglum Young Gun and out of a 12,000gns Auldhouseburn-bred ewe by the 145,000gns Knap Vicious Sid.

After attracting significant pre-sale attention, Myfyr’s ram lamb became embroiled in a fierce bidding battle that quickly climbed past six figures.

The hammer eventually fell at 125,000gns to Hugh and Alan Blackwood of the Auldhouseburn flock, Murikirk, Ayrshire"
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - smokie
Ha. No wonder a bit of lamb is so pricey...
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Manatee
>>lots of items in shops seemed to be priced just in shillings - e.g. a pair of shoes at 40' or 45'.

You mean 40/- or 45/-? Shillings yes. So a couple of quid. Stuff like that is much cheaper now in real terms. For my summer job labouring job in 1968 at 15, I got £5 a week.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - sherlock47
£5 per week for labouring in 1968 seems a little low? Was that because you were being exploited as child labour?

As a summer job in a factory, effectively unskilled labouring, in 1964/5 IIRC I was paid £8 pw. And to put down another marker, graduate engineering starting salaries in 1969 were in the range of £1100-1200 pa. Inflation in the early 70s meant that salary seemed to increase significantly every month!
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - tyrednemotional
...not sure I can educate you as to why, but the use of "shillings", rather than "pounds" or "pounds and shillings" was historically pretty widespread.

I distinctly remember this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shilling_Tailors

...though mainly in its time as John Collier. (the original name "stuck" for many years after the change).
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Dog
>> the use of "shillings", rather than "pounds" or "pounds and shillings" was historically pretty widespread

Maybe it was for the same reason goods these days are priced at £9.99 £99.99 etc = to fool Joe Public?
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Runfer D'Hills
182’ a gallon round here for diesel last night.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - neiltoo
Pounds or shillings?

8o)

per Litre shirley?

8o)
>> Pounds or shillings?
>>
>> 8o)
>>
>> per Litre shirley?
>>
>> 8o)

He's about right with shillings. 182/- =£9.10 per gallon, *0.22 = £2.00 per litre.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - henry k
>> >> the use of "shillings", rather than "pounds" or "pounds and shillings" was historically pretty widespread
>>
>> Maybe it was for the same reason goods these days are priced at £9.99 £99.99 etc = to fool Joe Public?
>>
IIRC it was also so that the till had to be used to extract the penny change and the customer stayed to get the change and watched the sale " rung up". All to avoid the till person pocketing the cash.
A lot less need today with card payments.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Dog
>>the till had to be used to extract the penny change and the customer stayed to get the change and watched the sale " rung up". All to avoid the till person pocketing the cash

Yup, that makes sense I suppose. What I'm getting at is the fact that everything is priced at say £3.99 £99.99 £200,990 etc. etc.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Terry
I had a part time job in a menswear shop in ~1970.

A not uncommon fraud on the part of some sales staff at sales time was to sell items priced at £xx.99, take the proffered £xx.00, walk out of sight towards the till, pocket the proffered, take the 1p change from a pocket, and give the customer their change.
>> I had a part time job in a menswear shop in ~1970.
>>
>> A not uncommon fraud on the part of some sales staff at sales time was
>> to sell items priced at £xx.99, take the proffered £xx.00, walk out of sight towards
>> the till, pocket the proffered, take the 1p change from a pocket, and give the
>> customer their change.

So how does that profit the fiddler?

I once worked in a shop and tried the practice of putting the customer's note on the till keys, to remind me of what they'd given (£1, £5, £10, or£20) so I could give them the correct change. Accused of a fiddle!
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sat 2 Jul 22 at 22:45
I visited a gold chain manufacturer in Birmingham with a view to lending them money.

Taken to the board room by a PA. Waited for the MD and the first thing, before any introductions from him was an insistence on the right to search me and a threat of prosecution were I to steal from them!

I got up and left right away.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 3 Jul 22 at 15:23
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Zero
Good Job you have never been positively vetted or worked in certain gov sites Zipsters.

I remember being searched by an armed US marine Gunnery Sargeant in his full dress blues once.
>> Good Job you have never been positively vetted or worked in certain gov sites Zipsters.
>>

I have signed the Official Secrets Act 4 times.

I have been on business to Daws Hill, Chicksands, Lakenheath and Mildenhall.
I think you'll find the act prohibits you from saying where you have been........
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - sooty123
I have signed the Official Secrets Act 4 times.
>>
>

I wonder if that particular bit of theatre actually achieves anything.
Even the lowest grade of civil servants sign it don't they? It weighed on me as an 18 year old and from what little I remember it was rather draconian.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Bromptonaut
>> Even the lowest grade of civil servants sign it don't they? It weighed on me
>> as an 18 year old and from what little I remember it was rather draconian.

My recollection is that what I signed was a statement that I understood the act's terms and their effect.

I don't think there were any additional restrictions placed on me by the act of signing.
It doesent,

The Cambridge 5 didnt take any notice of it.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - Duncan

>> I remember being searched by an armed US marine Gunnery Sargeant in his full dress
>> blues once.

Good - was it?
His white gloves were quite soft.
Isn't there something about taking you out, gagged and bound, in a rowing boat and pulling the bung, or have I got it wrong?
I think that's extra.
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - neiltoo
Isn't that the Masons?
 Pounds Shillings and Pence - tyrednemotional
..WI, actually...
>> ..WI, actually...
>>

Gitmo Branch?
Latest Forum Posts