Non-motoring > Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 12

Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - Robin O'Reliant
Wrighty is leaving the afternoon slot in September after twenty three years. He was good back in the day but is long past his sell by date and he has been given his marching orders at last.

At least he has accepted his sacking graciously, unlike Jimmy Young and DLT who went kicking and screaming under the impression they were irreplaceable and entitled to the jobs for life.

SW to be replaced by Scott Mills, no idea what he's like.
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - bathtub tom
Gay, apparently. Surprised he hasn't turned up on Eastender's, but perhaps he hasn't a criminal record.
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - Runfer D'Hills
“Love the show Steve!”

Well, not love exactly, actually, you’re probably one of the most irritating of your genre…well, except Vanessa Feltz that is, obviously.

;-)
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - Zero
Thank god, no more 'serious jockin'. Pity really he played good music but far far too irritating.

My radio of choice at the mo is FIX radio on DAB. Soft rock, Sex 'n drug and Sausage Rolls for builders on their Makita site radios.

Love it, The phone in - "We are gonna talk about fings n stuff"

Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - tyrednemotional
..not a great fan of his, even though we go back to "Read and Wright" on TVR in the 70's.

Runfer's (quite rightly) nominated Vanessa Feltz as being worse, but I'd like to add both Zoe Ball and Jeremy Vine to that list.

The most consummate professional on R2 has surely got to be Ken Bruce. (though I listen too irregularly to be absolutely sure).
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - Runfer D'Hills
Blimey T&E, I agree with all of that.

What’s happening to me?

Help!

;-)
>>
>> What’s happening to me?
>>
...you're finally growing old up...
>>Well, not love exactly, actually, you’re probably one of the most irritating of your genre…well, except Vanessa Feltz >>that is, obviously.

...who've you been talking to......?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62330272
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 28 Jul 22 at 09:39
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - R.P.
Loved SW on Radio 1 in the 80s....when he moved to R2 I followed him - recently he had become really stale to be honest, really stale. That "serious jockeyin' " was b***** awful
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - MD
He's always been an irritating so and so even in his Mr. Angry days (from Purley). How he's lasted so long is one of life's mysteries.

However he's been kicked sideways to fit in with the bbc woke agenda.

I've no idea of his wage, but I'm fairly sure that the creep Vine is on about 7k a week and that is a person that I really despise.
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - R.P.
Steve Wright - £465,000-£469,999
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - legacylad
Beats me how he kept his job for so long. Presumably many of the listening public must have thought his show acceptable.

I rarely listen to R2, and he, above all, got right on me teets. For all of ten seconds until I reached the off button.
 Steve Wright (No longer) in The Afternoon - martin aston
I find Steve Wright OK most days if I come across his show in the car, but his tedious “serious jockin” spot is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Unlistenable on Fridays then.

The best radio host at the moment is Graham Norton (ad free except occasional mentions of Waitrose) on Virgin at the weekend. Intelligence and good humour are the key. We won’t hear him on BBC radio in the near future though, he gets more freedom (and shorter hours) on Virgin.
Latest Forum Posts