Non-motoring > Glastonbury Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 33

Glastonbury - smokie
I've been watching it on and off and there has been good and bad but I was absolutely mesmerised by McCartney.

I saw him at Coachella in 2016 and he was awesome then, and now at 80 he is still awesome. They play the tracks so very true to the original - even SoundHound recognised the footprint of some. And some fantastic video and effects on the backdrop.

Anyone else watch much of it? :-)
 Glastonbury - Duncan
I think he received what might be called "mixed reviews".
 Glastonbury - Runfer D'Hills
Different folks different strokes I suppose, but I thought McCartney was embarrassingly bad. We had to turn it off. Dreadful in our opinion I’m afraid.
 Glastonbury - smokie
Can't see any adverse reviews apart from small criticisms about Johnny Depp appearing in a background video and an article about a comment McCartney made about Wales in 2007.

Anyway I enjoyed it, a lot. :-) Impressive stamina for an 80 yo too, 2.5 hour gig is longer than many manage.
 Glastonbury - Duncan
I didn't watch it. I sometimes visit "another" forum. Some people on there said he was bad, some said he was ok.
 Glastonbury - maltrap
For an 80 year old i thought he was brilliant, so did the live audience.
He does surround himself with world class session misicians and he did a two and a half hour spot.
 Glastonbury - legacylad
In my ignorance I thought the chap had died a few years ago. Obviously got confused with David Bowie for some reason.
 Glastonbury - smokie
The same session musicians were playing with him at Desert Trip 6 years ago, and on all his tours since so I understand, so I think they are more like his band.
 Glastonbury - tyrednemotional
>> Different folks different strokes I suppose, but I thought McCartney was embarrassingly bad......

IMO, he and (most of) his output have been embarrassing post-Beatles. I met him briefly right at the start of Wings. I'm not sure that reviews annotated (...for an 80 year-old...) convince me over much, but given my opinion, I didn't watch it anyway.

I'm not sure Glastonbury is ageing well (though it's audience does rather look like it is ageing).

Not much temptation to watch many of the artists. I turned on for Robert Plant and Alison Krauss (excellent "duo", but hardly Glasto fodder, and the sound was disappointingly poor (though I think they tweaked it part-way through) - so not the best performance). At least Crowded House, who were on before, looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Not tempted to catch any other segments.

Daughter was in Hyde Park last night, with a good view of the stage for the Stones. I'm waiting for her opinion, but it will no doubt be qualified with "not bad for a group of 70/80 year olds!" ;-)

Glastonbury - BiggerBadderDave
"I'm not sure Glastonbury is ageing well"

Jo Whiley is though.
 Glastonbury - Stuartli
>> I turned on for Robert Plant and Alison Krauss (excellent "duo", but hardly Glasto fodder, and the sound was disappointingly poor >>

McCartney was amazing, especially for an 80-year-old; he's someone, along with the other Beatles I use to know well in the early 60s.

As for Alison Krauss, I've been a big fan of hers for many years - exquisite voice.
 Glastonbury - martin aston
What I saw of McCartney was OK. Mind you my niece and nephew, in their 20s, don't know who the Beatles were. After all they broke up 50 odd years ago.

If you want poor, pitchy singing Diana Ross (77) is on now. Some of it is tune but a lot of bum notes.
 Glastonbury - Terry
Ones memories of Diana and Paul are largely based on their recordings made up to 60 years ago.

Their delivery may well have changed over the years, vocal capability ages like most bits of ones anatomy, and our expectation of vocal performance similar to that decades ago is unrealistic.

That they can still command an audience of 100k + is a tributes to their long term popularity and longevity. It is as much nostalgia as a performance!
 Glastonbury - Robin O'Reliant
I thought Macca gave a great performance, especially considering his age. Compare it to a live performance by the Stones, who without the visuals sound pretty crap and nothing like they did in their recordings.
 Glastonbury - CGNorwich
Isn’t it time for these old guys to step down. They’ve had their time in the sun. Let’s have some new talent. Most of the Beatles stuff is very much of its time and to my mind was never that great anyway and hasn’t aged well.
 Glastonbury - Robin O'Reliant
>> Isn’t it time for these old guys to step down. They’ve had their time in
>> the sun. Let’s have some new talent.
>>

Talent will rise to the top, if it's good enough it will either stand along side or climb over what was there before. The likes of Sinatra and Crosby couldn't hold back the rising stars of the sixties.
 Glastonbury - CGNorwich
The Beatles were a phenomenon certainly and not the zeitgeist of the moment but great musicians? I think not. I listens to the Sergeant Pepper album again recently, or at least as much as I could stand and it sounded like a a load of pot induced nursery rhymes which I suppose it was.
 Glastonbury - Manatee
>> The Beatles were a phenomenon certainly and not the zeitgeist of the moment but great
>> musicians? I think not. I listens to the Sergeant Pepper album again recently, or at
>> least as much as I could stand and it sounded like a a load of
>> pot induced nursery rhymes which I suppose it was.

Heard next to much contemporary pop then, I still think it was astonishing, although Ringo should have stuck to the drumming. I got it for my 14th birthday.

I can't say I listen to most of it now but I enjoyed much of the Glasto performance. The last Beatles music I played a few weeks ago was side two of Abbey Road.

Yes it's nostalgia.

I thought he did well - I'm more than 10 years younger and I am well aware of the limitation imposed by age now. McCartney once had a wide vocal range, he was singing around a lot of those notes last night
 Glastonbury - Stuartli
>> Isn’t it time for these old guys to step down. They’ve had their time in the sun. Let’s have some new talent. Most of the Beatles stuff is very much of its time and to my mind was never that great anyway and hasn’t aged well.>>

I'm surprised you haven't noticed that there's new talent arriving all the time....

As for the Beatles, I still never tire of listening to them; same for Dire Straits, Abba, Eurythmics,
Queen, Eagles and many, many others, as well as up and coming artistes.
 Glastonbury - bathtub tom
SWMBO used to be a fan of Rod Stewart, until she heard him murder 'Sweet Caroline' at the Queen's jubilee.
 Glastonbury - R.P.
We went to see Robert Plant last month in Rhyl...yes in Rhyl...and he was awesomly good. Watching McCartney now........
 Glastonbury - Stuartli
>> We went to see Robert Plant last month in Rhyl...yes in Rhyl...and he was awesomely good. Watching McCartney now........>>

He's had a long partnership with the wonderful Alison Krauss - have you seen their Glastonbury set yet?

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018kbr/glastonbury-robert-plant-alison-krauss
..as I said above, I tuned in for this and thought the performance (and venue) did them less than justice.

The two albums, however, "Raising Sand" and the more recent "Raise the Roof" are excellent (and among my favourite listening at the moment).

The music is too laid back and nuanced for Glasto, though. Better examples of indoor/small audiences on Youtube.
 Glastonbury - Stuartli
>> ..as I said above, I tuned in for this and thought the performance (and venue) did them less than justice.>>

Have you seen this guy, Fil, analysing Alison's performances (he also does Karen Carpenter, Queen and others)?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJENcs288xY
 Glastonbury - Zero
The Beatles were puerile drivel even by the standards of the time. For example the Stones were edgy, hard hitting, musically and lyrically much more advanced.

The only ones of the aged stars at Glasto this year who put on a show where you can say "wow - classic, just like it was" is the Pet Shop boys.

Pity Dusty couldn't rock in with a cameo
 Glastonbury - smokie
Just watched a few minutes of Sundays headline act - Kendrick Lamar, presumably one of today's stars.

I think on balance I prefer Macca. Even though some may find the Beatles lyrics are drivel they are nowhere near as unpleasant as some of Kendrick's. Watched him do Be Humble.

genius.com/Kendrick-lamar-humble-lyrics
 Glastonbury - CGNorwich
>> The Beatles were puerile drivel even by the standards of the time.

How can you say that when they came up with songs like Yellow Submarine and “I am a Walrus”?

Glastonbury - Zero
>> >> The Beatles were puerile drivel even by the standards of the time.
>>
>>
>> How can you say that when they came up with songs like Yellow Submarine and
>> “I am a Walrus”?

Sorry, my mistake, you are right, Maxwells silver hammer had such pathos and drama.
 Glastonbury - Dog
Well, you should see Polythene Pam, she's the kind of a girl that makes The News of the World.

Get a dose of her in jackboots and kilt!!

:o}
 Glastonbury - Dog
I'm more 'into' the likes of Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, King Crimson, with perhaps a small serving of Black Sabbath covered with Cream.

I did manage to watch some Kendrick Lamar at the end of Glasto. Fortunately, I couldn't hear most of what he was on about :)

Glastonbury - Terry
If you have to add to the plaudits for any artist "for his age" it suggest a deficient performance compromised by the passing of time, enjoyed for reasons nostalgic, not quality.

Nothing wrong with that - gave some folk a lot of pleasure to see him.

Macca was never more than a proficient vocalist - his real talent was in writing songs which people still (mostly) want to listen to up to 60 years on.
 Glastonbury - Manatee
Didn't George Martin say McCartney was head and shoulders the best musician and composer of the Beatles?

I suspect he really thought it was himself, and he wasn't all wrong.

At the end of the day it's pop music, usually with a better tune than average. Occasionally it transcends. Most pop misses the value that great singers bring.

I probably had that last thought because I'm currently listening to Billie Holiday's Lady in Satin. Very apropos too because her voice was totally shot when she made that record, but the phrasing, tempo, emotion are all there and it never fails to move me. Macca's croaking on the other hand...

www.amazon.co.uk/Lady-Satin-Billie-Holiday/dp/B000002AH9

In the day, the Beatles had the screaming girls and lads were more likely to be listening to the Stones or the Who, before they moved on to prog rock or heavy metal.

I've just flicked through the last few albums I've had on the CD player - I still have one. Bic Runga, Floyd, Cyndi Lauper (granddaughter loves it), True Stories soundtrack album, Brubeck, Fairport, Ian Dury, Zappa, Peter Skellern, Miles Davis.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 27 Jun 22 at 12:51
...I was quite amused by the quote from Joe Walsh on the current Eagles tour:

"it was a lot more fun being 20 in the 70's than 70 in the 20's”
 Glastonbury - Dog
>>"it was a lot more fun being 20 in the 70's than 70 in the 20's"

De acuerdo!!
Latest Forum Posts