Non-motoring > Underfloor leaks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 17

Underfloor leaks - Ambo
Apologies, I have lost the relevant post. But has anyone had experience of having a (wooden) underfloor leak located and repaired? My mains have been inspected by the water company and a "very, very slow" leak of 0.10 litres per minute revealed. All taps and (two) toilets were inspected and there were no signs of dribbles. There are no stains to indicate a first floor leak. A conclusion is that there is an underfloor leak on the ground floor.

Next I must find an outfit able to locate the leak and repair it. I would be grateful of any relevant experience of such. There is a local company called ADI which claims to do this kind of work but I have not yet approached it and the water company will not do it.
 Underfloor leaks - Crankcase
Don't you have "trace and access" cover on your house insurance? In which case make a claim and let them source the company?
 Underfloor leaks - Ambo
Unfortunately no and it would presumably be invalid if bought now, as it would be after the known event rather than "in case of".
 Underfloor leaks - bathtub tom
>> a "very, very slow" leak of 0.10 litres per minute

That's 150 litres a day, are you on a water meter? If not and it's not causing a problem, perhaps ignore it.
 Underfloor leaks - Terry
If it really is 150 litres a day I would expect this to be very obvious very quickly.

If it is a wood/laminate floor over concrete, it will damage the flooring very quickly. A moisture meter may find this before damage is obvious.

If it is a suspended wooden floor you could raise a floorboard and check underneath. That volume of water should be fairly obvious, as will unpleasant smell. Could try first where the water mains enters the house, and then bathrooms and kitchen.

It may even be a central heating leak. If you have a header tank in the loft, tie this up so it cannot be filled if the level drops. If the level does fall this suggests central heating leak, not hot or cold water.
 Underfloor leaks - Zero
>> If it really is 150 litres a day I would expect this to be very
>> obvious very quickly.

150 litres a day? Yup, you would notice and right quick. Mould, rising damp, fungus, smells.

There is no leak under your floor.
 Underfloor leaks - CGNorwich
Why do you presume it is an underfloor leak? More likely to be between the Water Co stop cock and where it enters your house. Turn off your stop cock and see if the the leak continues.by checking the metre over a period of a couple of hours.
 Underfloor leaks - BiggerBadderDave
150 litres a day? Sounds a lot me.

Only takes a half-litre leak in the bed after a night on the razz and the missus won't let you forget for a decade.
 Underfloor leaks - Zero
!/2 a litre? Call that a night on the razz?
The rest went in the wardrobe, I seem to remember...
 Underfloor leaks - Zero
Ah yes, Her shoes.......
I would've used her handbag but it was full of vomit.
 Underfloor leaks - Robin O'Reliant
In a club years ago (The Room at The Top in Ilford for those who know the area) a mate was well the worse for wear and tried to drag some girl onto the dance floor, for which he got a slap round the face. When she went up with someone else he took her handbag from where she'd left it under the table and disappeared for a few minutes.

We were all to drunk to ask him why, but about an hour later while we were in the queue for the lift to take us back to ground level there was a piercing scream from the back, the poor girl had opened her bag for something and found a large turd sitting there. By the time the bouncers got to her we were in the lift on our way down to safety.

Those were the days.
 Underfloor leaks - Ted
My uncle and his wife lived in Toulouse for some time while he worked on Concorde design. Both were lushes. A posting to France was not the best idea.

One night he came home tight and had a wazz on the dressing table. Wife was only upset 'cos it took the varnish off !

Ted
 Underfloor leaks - Ambo
I'm on a meter.
 Underfloor leaks - Ambo
Terry: It is a suspended floor with a variable height (sloping site), 34” high at the inspection hatch. Everything is bone dry at this point, air sweet, no fungus.
I was unable to check more than a few feet in each direction owing to various maladies, including arthritis. (I had checked to whole site in the past but that was about 45 years ago). Infirmity keeps me out of the attic as well but I will try to find someone check for me.

CGNorwich. I tried this and there was a small leak over three hours.

Underfloor leaks - CGNorwich

>>
>> CGNorwich. I tried this and there was a small leak over three hours.

So not under the floor then?
 Underfloor leaks - smokie
Ambo - I have just sent you an email regarding your leak.
Latest Forum Posts