Non-motoring > Pub prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 28

Pub prices - bathtub tom
It's our wedding anniversary this weekend (perhaps I should've gone to Monaco), so we decided to start it off with a pub lunch today. Charged just shy of seven quid for a Pimms. It'll be a long time before she has another one of them outside of 'spoons.
 Pub prices - sooty123
Whats the going rate for a pimms?
 Pub prices - Zero
Take her to Spoons for a wedding anniversary, and spoons will be all you can afford after she takes you to the cleaners over the divorce.
 Pub prices - Clk Sec
Unfortunately, the three rather nice 'Spoons pubs are just a bit too far away from us to reach on foot.

Must dust off the bus passes.
 Pub prices - bathtub tom
>> Take her to Spoons for a wedding anniversary, and spoons will be all you can
>> afford after she takes you to the cleaners over the divorce.

You need to train them well and after (mumble, mumble, mumble) years, she's got me where she wants me!
 Pub prices - smokie
£4.90 for a pint of Greene King slop in my local, was £4 around lockdown (can't remember exactly when) and £3.60 before this all began.
 Pub prices - CGNorwich
Don’t know how to break this bit it’s going up again next month

www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2022/05/24/How-much-Greene-King-is-increasing-beer-prices-by

Called inflation I think.
 Pub prices - smokie
Enough to turn you to drink isn't it?

Well, maybe not the stuff they serve...
 Pub prices - R.P.
Beer ! £4.00 a pint in my local for a decent lager, you can get Fosters for a little less, Birra Morreti was over £5 ! Ireland couple of weeks ago €4.50 for a pint of the black stuff in a very decent bar, lager was arounf €4.00.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 27 May 22 at 20:31
 Pub prices - Duncan
'spoons were doing Doom Bar for 99p a pint a while back locally.
 Pub prices - Zero
>> 'spoons were doing Doom Bar for 99p a pint a while back locally.

Doom Bar, the Modern incarnation of Watneys Red Barrel.
 Pub prices - bathtub tom
IIRC (when I was working), 'spoons had something like a 'manic monday' when lots of their pints were a quid.
 Pub prices - Dog
>>Watneys Red Barrel

I was 'brung up' on that sweet & gassy keg beer (I even had the keyring) + Double Diamond, Worthington E, Whitbread Tankard etc. Bring it on :(
 Pub prices - Crankcase
When we went to the Talking Pictures day last month, they showed at various times little films. One of them was the "you know where are with DD" Double Diamond advert from years ago - and everyone knew it and sang along.

Now that's advertising.

Just in case anyone forgot the tune (they used it a few ads with slight variations), here it is, though the one we had ended with "same again, John".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3F2vEjw0m0
 Pub prices - Zero
Oh I think when it comes to DD, the jingle everyone remembers is this one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRklsYZaxeQ&ab_channel=findaclip
 Pub prices - Zero
>> Oh I think when it comes to DD, the jingle everyone remembers is this one.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRklsYZaxeQ&ab_channel=findaclip

Following on, advertising has never been more creative or memorable when it comes to three things. Fags, Booze and Cars.

Fags
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjBHUQEiTPw

Booze

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkjidE0WnAI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXT0FBL4TcU&ab_channel=AdvertJury

Cars
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnCXiv1cVdg&ab_channel=FordHeritage

This one I saw at the pictures, It made me determined I would have a Capri As soon as practical, and indeed it became my first decent car (at age 19) and made me a life long lover of Capris in particular, and 70's 80s Fords in general.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 28 May 22 at 12:04
 Pub prices - Biggles
500 ml bottle of Marston's Pedigree €1.25.
 Pub prices - Ted

Aldi were selling box of 12 bottles of bitters, Hobgob, Jennings, Wainwrights, Banks , Doom Bar and others for a click under £15 recently. I'll get another next week if it's still on.

Ted
 Pub prices - Runfer D'Hills
It’s almost certainly just me, but I found that I lost interest in beer when I gave up smoking many years ago.
A pint is just too wet without a fag!
Whisky however…
;-)
 Pub prices - Zero

>> A pint is just too wet without a fag!

However, when out for a ruby, a pint of lager just fits. both could have been made for each other.

fag or no fag.

Re smoking. I gave up about 15 years ago. Just stopped, threw a pack away, and stopped. No cold turkey, no pangs. Slight urge in pubs but no issue.

However. A few people at dog training smoke, and I am not adverse to cadging the odd fag here and there. Only one on a days course. No way would I buy any, no idea how to, don't know what brands there are, they all look the same and hidden behind some strange safe door. No idea how much they cost. So I smoke I guess. 2to4 a month.
 Pub prices - Dog
I fancy a fag right now funnily enuff, but it would have to be a roll up, none of these tailor-made things.

I used to smoke mainly Golden Virgins, but now and again I would go onto Old Holborn, or even Special Nosegay, American Spirit or Drum.

A 30g pouch of Golden Virginia now costs c£15 (gulp!)

20 fags cost around 10 knicker I believe.
 Pub prices - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah I (very occasionally) smoke OPs (other people’s) but I’d guess it’s once or twice a year at most.
I always said if I could treat tobacco like chocolate, in other words, as a “why not” once in a blue moon, I’d be fine with that, and that seems to be where I am.
Never did regain the taste for beer though. Beer needs a pub with a fire and a packet of Marlboro Reds to taste any good to me, and I’m certainly not going to stand outside with the nico-cripples freezing bits of me off to try to replicate some memories.
;-)
 Pub prices - Ted

A long time ago, I use4d to smoke Lidget & Myers short filters. Nice toasty American fags. Then I moved office and I couldn't get them without a special trip into the city, so I stopped altogether.

About 25 yrs ago I went onto Cafe Creme cigars then Royal Dutch. Nice during a bike trip, with a coffee at a continental roadside cafe. Cheaper, too, over the water. Stopped now, can't keep the damn things lit ! Praps me sucks no good now !

Only 5 pubs left in the village now but about 40 bars and restaurants/fast food/chippies/takeaways. Full of pretentious wokes and media wealthy We do lunch out but that's about £50 for two now in most places. Few beers from my past nown, Threlfalls, Chesters Fighting Mild, Wilsons, Swales. Holts still have a few pubs around here.

Ted
 Pub prices - helicopter
My son was charged £12.40 for 2 half litre bottles of Estrella at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank last week...

The seats front stalls at " The book of Mormon' in the West End cost £95 each...

Dinner was around £100 for three courses and a bottle of wine for two. The liquer afterwards ( Cointreau ) was £8.

Luckily as it was for my birthday , he paid .

Back to Spoons this week for me.
 Pub prices - CGNorwich
Well he will be getting £400 from HMG so I reckon he’s £85.20 up. :-)
 Pub prices - Dieselboy
If there's 5 pubs and 40 other places to eat, I'd argue it isn't a village you live in, more a town!

Our village has no pub (worse luck) and one small coffee/cake shop.
 Pub prices - Ted
>> If there's 5 pubs and 40 other places to eat, I'd argue it isn't a
>> village you live in, more a town!
>>
I suppose it's a suburb or a township but we have a village green and everyone calls it a village. Three Co-ops, Morrisons, two Tesco Expresses, M&S Food, KFC, MaccyDs etc....what's not to like ?

Ted
 Pub prices - legacylad
>> It’s almost certainly just me, but I found that I lost interest in beer

Good. More for the rest of us

Went to Skipton Thai Basil last night for a meal (£3.75 return on train) with friends...these days there’s a plethora of pubs and micro pubs in Skipton selling excellent beers from £3.40 a pint.
Less in ‘Spoons which I avoid like monkey pox

4 excellent different pints in 4 establishments before the meal, water with the meal, then another pint in the Craven Arms over the road from the station @ Giggleswick en route home.

Normal beer prices in my part of the world are £3.40/£3.60 pint. No idea of lager prices.

Detoxed in Spain, where I barely touched alcohol for almost 3 weeks...but drank 4+ litres of water a day in the heat.
 Pub prices - sooty123
I paid anywhere, for a pint, from 4 quid to 1.60 odd this year. Although i don't drink much at pubs etc, i did have a very nice pint of bitburger the other week at a pub.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 29 May 22 at 12:03
Latest Forum Posts