Non-motoring > Autistic Spectrum Disorder Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 75

Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Dog
I've known for some years that I probably suffer from Aspergers Syndrome,
although I've never been properly diagnosed,
I reckon I can now spot an 'Asperger' at 50 paces (there are a lot about!)
Most people are a tad Asperger in some way and (if interested) you may want to check out this test ~

www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

I score 39 :)
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Iffy
...I score 39 :)...

I scored 14, which is close to the average of 16.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - sherlock47
What does a score in single figures mean?
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Focusless
26. Not as high as my wife would have predicted :)
There is an interesting article here that could go with this thread ~

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8023603/Temple-Grandin-My-autism-made-me-a-cowgirl-superstar.html

Einstein and Newton were possibly ASD :)
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Fenlander
Close to Focus with 27... about where I expected. Be interesting to get my teen daughter to take the test... we've always said she shows the signs.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Crankcase
36. Blow the lot of you.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Pat
15 for me.

Pat
*The test is not a means for making a diagnosis*
Its interesting that some are scoring high teens (careful BBD) and some are in the 30's,
And one scored single figues so he/she must be normal (yawn!)

:)
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - spamcan61
11....seems pretty low for a Railway Enthusiast / trainspotter!
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Perky Penguin
I made 19 which is a bit lower than I expected!
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Woodster
I'm keeping a meticulously detailed record of your scores...
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Clk Sec
I scored 12 and am feeling inferior.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Zero
>> I'm keeping a meticulously detailed record of your scores...

That makes me feel anxious.

what does that mean?

I put most of the points down to

1/ Being Male
2/ Oncoming old age.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Armel Coussine

But my wife insists I have severe Asperger's as well as Tourette's syndrome. She thinks a lot of my friends have Asperger's too, but apparently they don't have Tourette's as badly as me.

I suspect it's a gender thing. You know, about men being stupid and selfish and having loud voices and excitable natures.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Cliff Pope
>>

>> I suspect it's a gender thing. You know, about men being stupid and selfish and
>> having loud voices and excitable natures.
>>

There is one key question they left out which says it all:
"Do you have a shed?"

I scored 22 .
A flaw I think in this kind of Q/A format is that it is so obvious exactly what each question is getting at, so one is tempted to slant the answer towards a more desired outcome.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - crocks
But the ability to know the desired answer is also an indicator.

However Borat's cousin, like so many academics, has produced an overlong and timewasting questionaire. Maybe the completion of it is also an indicator.

If you look at the scoring system you can see that all the time you took deciding between "strongly..." and "slightly..." was wasted.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - DeeW
Well, here is another one for you Woodster - 9.

I put it down to being all woman, Zero ;-)

It is quite a recent thing for girls to be diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum. In our special children's charity (55+ children) there are few girls and they are not autistic - Down Syndrome, Epileptic and 2 with Angelmans - whereas, apart from a handful with Down Syndrome and one with cerebral palsy, the boys are all autistic spectrum.

Last edited by: DeeW on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 12:34
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - AnotherJohnH

It goes some way to explaining a lot of things.

Agree: 2,4,5,6,7,12,13,16,18,19,22,23,26,39,41,42,43,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,8,10,11,14,15,17,24,25,27,28,29,31,32,34,36,37,38,40,44,47,48,50: 1 point
Score: 41
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 13:12
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Manatee
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - crocks
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25.

I expected more.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Tooslow
18 but "When I was young, I used to enjoy playing games involving pretending with other children" how the Dickens am I supposed to remember after all of these years? Where's the memory test web page?

John
>> 18 but "When I was young, I used to enjoy playing games involving pretending with
>> other children" how the Dickens am I supposed to remember after all of these years?
>>
>>

I wasn't pretending, I thought it was real. It still seems real, but for some reason all the other children have edged away.
But that nice young lady with the pills will be round soon.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - bathtub tom
SWMBO used to teach at a special needs school.

She's convinced all men are on the autism spectrum, it just varies how high up they are.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - MD
25 for cash?
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Bigtee
30 ho god im doomed.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Bagpuss

Once got rated as borderline sociopath in one of those awful psychological profiling tests that multinationals used to inflict on their staff in the mid 90s. Clearly I seemed to have mellowed with age.
>> 25.
>>
>> Once got rated as borderline sociopath in one of those awful psychological profiling tests that
>> multinationals used to inflict on their staff in the mid 90s. Clearly I seemed to
>> have mellowed with age.

Pity about the shooting incident at work tho, when does your case come up for review again?
We had a group session at work once to see who might be sociopathic. Inevitably, I refused to go.

Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Tooslow
Quite right. I always refused to do role play unless there was dressing up too.

John
>Quite right. I always refused to do role play unless there was dressing up too.

Ach. Picture it - mid eighties, group of us on a corporate weekend "team building". Utterly stupid exercises every two minutes, woe betide you if you didn't want to play along.

Get back to the lodgings, a hut in the middle of nowhere, and the trainers (one dressed as monk, but that's another story) tell us that for confidence building we're all going out to the local town, but there is a selection of makeup, dresses and wigs next door, and all the men have to go in drag. No arguments. Compulsory.

Huge row from some (which was probably the point) followed by one chap breaking down, and we all in fact spent the evening huddled round in a cold hut whilst he eventually told us ghastly stories of being abused by his father as a child, and THAT was why he wasn't wearing a dress for anybody. All the girls in floods.

The Monday morning meetings were never the same after that, and we never went on corporate days again either.

>> Ach. Picture it - mid eighties, group of us on a corporate weekend "team building".

Sitting on the raft in the middle of windermere, as the oil drums slowly separate from the frame, the team franticly paddling...
It wasn't Windermere but the rest is spot on. Really really stupid. We also had to, in turns, put on blacked out swimming goggles and be lead by a sighted colleague who was not allowed to speak, down a cliff path. To generate trust, you see.

Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Runfer D'Hills
I was told to go on a Time Manager course. I told them I didn't have time. They made me go anyway. It was quite interesting but it took ages to catch up with my work when I got back...

:-)
I just gotta meet you for a beer.
I had a similar experience with a time management course (more than one actually - it just didn't take).

I still don't get it - everybody knows it looks after itself. Work expands until it fills the time available for its completion.
>>We also had to, in turns, put on blacked out swimming goggles and be lead by a sighted colleague who was not allowed to speak<<

Have you ever considered becoming a Mason.

Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Marc
Crankcase - that all sounds truly dreadful.

Was there any karate chopping blocks of wood - you CAN do it, running over hot coals or spontaneous juggling (to keep the energy up) involved?
>Was there any karate chopping blocks of wood...

No, luckily. There were some planks (build the tallest tower you can in fifteen minutes) and rope (try to get from here to there without touching the ground) as well as the monk (is he real? Should we take him in for the night?), a kite stuck in a tree (who dares be the the first to climb up for it?) and without wishing to lower the tone more than necessary, a distinct lack of facilities (oh how amusing for us all), all interspersed with exercises like "pretend you're running a garden centre. You have £1000 to spend on a promotion, and fifteen minutes to prepare a presentation on it, which will be given in a circle of mocking colleagues in a wet field, and they will have giant distorted heads and be peering at you and moaning to the tune of ring-a-ring-a-roses played very slowly and slightly off key, and by the way, if you could be any animal...

And I had to share a tent with my boss, who snored like a soupdragon all night.

Since you ask.

Thanks for sharing that with the group.

"which will be given in a circle of mocking colleagues in a wet field, and they will have giant distorted heads and be peering at you and moaning to the tune of ring-a-ring-a-roses played very slowly and slightly off key"

Sounds a bit surreal. Sure that wasn't in the Beatles' Strawberry Fields video or similar?
>>Sounds a bit surreal. Sure that wasn't in the Beatles' Strawberry Fields video or similar?

I forgot to add someone was playing Tubular Bells constantly for 48 hours.
>> Have you ever considered becoming a Mason.
>>
>> :)
>>
BOG OFF. There are enough Bricklayers. Leave it;0)
>>Sitting on the raft in the middle of windermere, as the oil drums slowly separate from the
>> frame, the team franticly paddling...

Done that one. Walk from the Outgate Inn to the west shore at Wray (another story), team-wrecking exercise building raft (some people didn't speak for weeks), then paddle across to the Cragwood Hotel.

I would have forgotten it, but for a friend's daughter getting married there a couple of years ago. I walked down from the hotel to the lake, and there were the planks and blue plastic barrels...

1989 or thenabout.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Bagpuss
LOL. Lucky there isn't a question "Do you frequently hear voices in your head?"
The answer to that would be no, on the grounds that I hear them all the time.
I only took the test lightheartedly, following on from the thread on "Head count - see or hear?", and having come across it upon it quite recently on the TV.
I have known a splattering of Psychologists & Trickcyclists o'er the years, and one thing they all had in common, was that they were all cranky!
They do like to stick labels on folk you see, that's how they earn their corn, but at the end of the day, we're all different or a bit cranky in some way, that's life!
I've followed the Gary McKinnon case with interest, he is a systems administrator and a very clever man, although he is obviously guilty as charged IMO, no-way should he be extradited to the US and stuck in a 10" x 7"
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Mike Hannon
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Perky Penguin
My favourite but rarely worn T Shirt says "You are only jealous 'cos the voices aren't talking to YOU!"
My favourite and often-worn tee-shirt is the old Ardman Animations 'Creature Comforts' tortoise, saying 'I'm a bit of a worrier'. I often wear it when I go to car boot sales - it helps me make friends with other English expats when they laugh at it.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Runfer D'Hills
Six, whatever that means. Maybe I'm dead and didn't know or something. Actually that could be quite cool...
>>Maybe I'm dead and didn't know or something. Actually that could be quite cool<<

I think I may have met you at a séance I attended recently,
do you carry your head under your arm and glide along going Wooooooooooo!

:-D
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - helicopter
17 .....so I appear to be Mr Average....
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - madf

Me average, you others nutters..
>> Six, whatever that means. Maybe I'm dead and didn't know or something. Actually that could
>> be quite cool...
>>

Not as cool as Zero though.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Cpt. Flack
Me too, 17.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - sherlock47
>>>Six, whatever that means. Maybe I'm dead and didn't know or something. Actually that could be quite cool...<<<

good to see someone less than me! Actually, the fact that I am posting this, probably means I should add 20 to my score.
"Once got rated as borderline sociopath in one of those awful psychological profiling tests that multinationals used to inflict on their staff in the mid 90s"

Yes, those things were a joke.
>>>>>Six, whatever that means. Maybe I'm dead and didn't know or something. Actually that could be quite cool...<<<

Stone cold, more like. ;-)
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Iffy
I see the OP uses correct spelling and grammar when writing about this topic, which is of relevance to him.

If I were a trick cyclist, I could make something of that.

>>If I were a trick cyclist, I could make something of that<<

Haha! The OP is on his new anti-psychotics of late, and they are just beginning to kick in.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - swiss tony
Agree: 2,4,5,6,7,9,12,13,16,19,22,23,26,39,41,42,43,45,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,15,17,24,25,31,32,36,37,38,44,47,48,50: 1 point
Score: 36
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Hugo
I scored 28, which bears out what my wife says about me.

TBH it doesn't surprise me. If I came along a generation later I suspect I may have been 'labelled' as a child.

Oddly enough I didn't speak until quite late in life and my parents got me tested for autism. Age 3 I didn't have a first word, it was a first sentance!
>>it was a first sentance!
>>
Where's my Discovery?
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Hugo
>> >>it was a first sentance!
>> >>
>> Where's my Discovery?
>>

Actually, it was something along the lines of

"[my sister] has got 4 buttons on her shirt"

...that is what I am told.

Acually I may get my wife to score me - see if the result is any different.
>> Oddly enough I didn't speak until quite late in life and my parents got me
>> tested for autism. Age 3 I didn't have a first word, it was a first
>> sentance!

I think it was Macauley who at the age of four said his first sentence, not having spoken before. Someone spilt hot tea on him and when asked if he was all right by his mother he said "Thank you madam, the pain is much abated".

The little p....
Speak up you fool.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - corax
>> 26
>>

Snap, manatee. 26

I think it might be more accurate if someone who knew you well answered the questionaire for you. For instance, I said I did not enjoy social occasions, but maybe it depends who I'm having a social occasion with :)
Last edited by: corax on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 19:22
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - madf
I worked for a Fortune 100 company which sent all their potential management recruits to a psych.

He may have been paid a lot: but he did not prevent the company hiring a con man who cost over £1 million before he was fired...

Tests are no good if the testee knows the ropes...
Leave my missus to sort out the conmen. 'Silent' Rottweiller.
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - Londoner
I scored 20 - so i suppose that I must be roughly average.
"Average"....the story of my life.
An apology Re: the OP ... I don't 'suffer' from ASD,
it isn't suffering like say ankylosing spondylitis, Crohn’s, or emphysema,
I'm just 'wired up' differently, as my friend Laurie used to say :)
 Autistic Spectrum Disorder - hjd
I scored 30 and I'm female - so obviously not just a male thing!
Mind you, my youngest brother would probably score the maximum.
Just to put the tin hat on this thread, my Plymouth friend who is 'almost' a professor of psychology says
"did this test this morning as honestly as poss en scored 43? Not convinced by these tests - as many of the questions I find ambiguous? different response in different situations??
I have read Cohen's 'Mind Blindness' though which I though was very informative".

43 :-)
Oh ... and my better half scored 10 :)
Latest Forum Posts