Non-motoring > Council tax band Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 7

Council tax band - Manatee
Just had a bit of a shock.

Since the fire, we have replaced our 3 bed bungleyhole with a 5 bed house on a similar sized footprint on the same plot. I knew it would increase the Council Tax as the bungalow was a D, which was a bit of a win anyway. I was hoping for an F.

The house has come in as a G. Including all precepts, the annual payment is £3350 this year. If I could get it rated F it would save £450. Better start some comparisons.

It's quite interesting looking up the neighbours' bands. Best thing to do is improve a low-banded house. It doesn't get reviewed until you sell it, so you continue to enjoy the old rating while you live there. Unfortunately if you knock it down and start again you get a new rating.

www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

Council tax band - Dog
The bigger your roof, the more snow falls upon it (olde Persian saying)
 Council tax band - Bromptonaut
That looks like an updated Beta service for checking bandings.

I've got cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/inits.asp saved on my work set up - checking CT banding and reductions is something I do a lot. Might it soon be be superceded?

I guess you need to look at what places like yours changed hands for in 1991 and whether it'd be in the range £160-320k. Can you limbo?

Given you've got a lot of high tech that just was not there 30 years ago that might be an interesting case for the Valuation Tribunal...
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 14 May 22 at 16:35
 Council tax band - Manatee
It probably was in that range, or would have been. In Feb '93 we bought a 4 bed detached at the other end of the village for £116,000. This house is much better than that was and about 50% bigger. That house was certainly no higher than an E.

There's a farmhouse in band G that was for sale in 1993 for £230,000. Probably around the same size as this although on a poorer plot I would say. So I'm probably on a sticky wicket.
 Council tax band - slowdown avenue
also i believe you loose out on the £150 rebate.
 Council tax band - Clk Sec
>> also i believe you loose out on the £150 rebate.

You certainly do.
 Council tax band - Duncan
>> also i believe you loose out on the £150 rebate.
>>

Lose.
 Council tax band - sherlock47
As it is a newbuild, whilst you may have lost out on the CT Banding, but just look at how much VAT you have saved!
Latest Forum Posts