Non-motoring > Repairing a flat roof Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 15

Repairing a flat roof - smokie
I have a large flat roofing felt covered double garage and extension and it is in pretty good shape.

Except round the edges where it's cracked a bit, fairly wide cracks. It isn't leaking at all and has been like it a few years now.

I know the answer is to have the whole thing replaced but as a summer DIY job I think it'd be worth getting some bitumen (or other) product and filling the cracks. I visualise something treacly and rubbery which would fill the crack and allow expansion/contraction.

There is some roof and gutter sealant stuff in tubes which looks about right (and should be fairly easy to apply) but does anyone have a better suggestion?
 Repairing a flat roof - Dog
I've used before with excellent results:

www.screwfix.com/p/bostik-waterproofing-bituminous-paint-black-5ltr/82914
 Repairing a flat roof - Crankcase
Flashing tape? Peel, cut, stick.
The tape wouldn't work CC as it would be sticking to the upper gritty side of roofing felt.

Though something like that in combo with Dog's suggestion could just do the trick.

Dog, is that stuff gloopy or runny? I.e. would it fill cracks or just run away under the felt?

Now having found a few mins to browse a little, I've found this on Amazon

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001OXC4OW?th=1

Bitumen trowel mastic - sounds promising n'est pa?
 Repairing a flat roof - Terry
If the roof is showing signs of degradation and may be 20+ years old, you should consider replacement. This will obviously cost a lot more now, but:

- at some point the roof will fail and need replacement - you are just delaying the inevitable
- a new roof covering should last 20+ years - how long do you expect to be there
- when it fails, water leaks may damage the structure below the felt - replacement more costly
- if constructed a few decades ago, it may fail to meet current insulation standards
- if you move, a newer roof covering will help the sale - if failing it may compromise the sale

I can understand the desire to save money now - but longer term it may be a false economy. As a planned project you can get competitive quotes with no time or completion pressures.
Yes that's all very well but my attempts at proactive prevention always seem to always turn expensive.

New timing belt etc on a Focus a few years back before it was required - shortly afterwards the tensioner collapsed and the engine needed partial rebuild

I was told a year ago that a dental bridge was loose. Then told again at 6 months, though I couldn't feel it. Decided to have it done anyway, a new bridge would have been £8k so opted for a denture (private recommended) at £1.5k. This hooks onto the remaining back tooth (number 7). During the first week I was able to wear it ( - quite slow healing of extractions) tooth 7 really really hurt, I thought abscess. But no, turns out it has a hole in the root and may not be able to be filled - going for an appt this week for a £70 assessment - and what happens to the new denture if it's support has to be taken out? (And it is likely to be upwards of £400 to have it filled as NHS don't do tooth 7 apparently).

Last one, for now - was persuaded that my old inefficient but still working Potterton boiler should be replaced with a new one. The was just under three years ago. I've had three warranty calls on it but in the last one he said it wasn't the boiler, likely to be caused by the pump. So had a new pump fitted last week (£250 I think). By coincidence, since fitting, one tank in the loft is now overflowing into the other and water is pouring from the overflow (actually onto the flat roof!). See other thread. I'm told this a new water tank will fix it, can't remember the explanation, but a fiesty new pump often brings out other problems...

While I was away last week the adjoining house had the same flat roof replaced for about £2k but that was really just re-felted (and not very well!!). To address the insulation would add £000s if not £0000s. I'm going to patch it up for now and will look again next year maybe.

Repairing a flat roof - Dog
>>Dog, is that stuff gloopy or runny? I.e. would it fill cracks or just run away under the felt?

It's quite thick, smokie. I used it to seal under (the walls either side) the cover leading to my septic thank at the old cottage. It used to flood from surface water when it rained heavily.

I had a new soakaway installed in the end :)
 Repairing a flat roof - slowdown avenue
in the same situation. 23year old roof massive flat roof. 5 years back i put new felt over old felt. not a great idea, but it held till this winter, added some more felt, didn't stop it, then added some rubberised bitumen, which has held it. also have a twenty year old boiler. and would like a tooth implant. oh the joys
Glad it's not just me then :-)

The main roofing felt appears to be in good shape, the cracks are along some of the corners and I think have been there some time, I've only really been prompted into doing it because I need a project or two for the summer. Nothing strenuous or too time consuming mind :-)
 Repairing a flat roof - henry k
>>I know the answer is to have the whole thing replaced.

I had my flat roof ( over part of my kitchen and part of my integral garage ) replaced with fiberglass.
My roof was probably the original circa 1930s and was thick tarmac,
One problem might be the new standards of insulation may incur some remodeling to make space for the addition thickness now demanded.
 Repairing a flat roof - sherlock47
There are various (new) competing alternatives to traditional roof felted construction. The building trade tends to be ultra conservative in adopting new ideas, so be careful in taking advice from the builder vs snake oil salesman model.

I had a porch and garage (flat and south facing roofs) constructed nearly 30 years ago, the porch was using asphalt and the garage hot torch bitumen felted. At the time I was advised that the porch would 'see me out' and the felt would probably be good for 20 years. The asphalt was renenewed at 25 years and the garage is still (touch wood) leak free.

www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/flat-roof-extensions is a good alternative source of info.

I had another smaller flat roof done with rubber quite some years back and it seems fine, wasn't cheap though.
are the cracks around the edges in the deep tar. if so i wouldn't worry to much.
That's them. Like I said, not so bothered but it isn't a big job to fill them, once I identify what with!
Try Wickes, just get the cheapest can of whatever they have in that section , it's not leaking
Just put a couple of tubes of Roof & Gutter Sealant 295ml Black on my Toolstation order for the water cylinder (see other thread). Only £2.99 so nothing lost if it's not much good.

www.toolstation.com/roof-gutter-sealant/p11002
Latest Forum Posts