Non-motoring > Pneumococcal Vaccination Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 16

Pneumococcal Vaccination - MD
Good afternoon all,

Has anybody had this jab and if so were there any side affects? Thoughts on this please.

Best......MD
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - CGNorwich
Yes
No
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - tyrednemotional
Ditto
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - Falkirk Bairn
Ditto

My wife had the flu, pneumococcal & shingles - 2 in one arm and 1 in the other.
She was ill for 3/4 days - the shingles jag is a live vaccine and can cause issues with some people.
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - Lygonos
Pneumococcal is a one-off (unless you are 'special' such as having no spleen) and can't say I have seen any issues with it over the past 20 years or so.
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - martin aston
Yes I had it last year. I had no reaction but I never have to any vaccinations.
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - bathtub tom
>> My wife had the flu, pneumococcal & shingles - 2 in one arm and 1
>> in the other.
>> She was ill for 3/4 days - the shingles jag is a live vaccine and
>> can cause issues with some people.

Had them myself with no problems. Having had shingles, flu and watching a cousin suffer with pneumonia, I had no hesitation. Believe me, you don't want shingles!
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - Kevin
>Believe me, you don't want shingles!

Our resident doc says that I'm a Ramsey Hunt.

Pneumococcal Vaccination - Manatee
Yes, no reaction I can remember. GPs comment was "the more protection you have, the better".
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - smokie
SWMBO and I had it at the end of last year. No side effects.
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - Robin O'Reliant
Knowing someone who is still getting over the effects of shingles I don't fancy it myself. How does one go about getting this vaccination?
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - CGNorwich
You can get the vaccination from your doctor if you are between 70 and 80

Everything you need to know here.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/shingles-vaccination/
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - Robin O'Reliant
Cheers GC, six months to go before I qualify.
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - Ted

I had shingles ten years or so ago. It wasn't good. Can you get it twice ? I'm well old enough for the jab. Another unpleasant one was cellulitis. I got it at the pool, I'm sure. It was A & E every day for anti-bio injections. Sadly, that put an end to my three times a week swimming sessions. Don't want that again ! I also developed a leg ulcer, not nice either, it stank, day visits to the ulcer clinic at the hospital for silver dressings and then at the district nurses clinic locally until it cleared. Took many months !

Ted
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - bathtub tom
>> I had shingles ten years or so ago. It wasn't good. Can you get it
>> twice ?

I understand you can get it any number of times, It's the chicken pox virus. In my case one of the unpleasant side effects was being expected to give blood once a week. They'll leech a pint out of you, seperate the red and white blood cells and then give you back the red. Makes you feel terrible, but you get the pleasure from knowing the white cells are going to folk with immuno deficiency.
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - smokie
Seems I was wrong, we had pneumonia because we can't get shingles jab till over 70. Still a few years away.
 Pneumococcal Vaccination - Dog
>> I also developed a leg ulcer, not nice either, it stank

My ole mum had an awful leg ulcer, caused by circulation problems I believe. She died from heart failure, aged 88.

>>day visits to the ulcer clinic at the hospital for silver dressings

Interesting, I use colloidal silver as an antibiotic.

Keep well Teddy ole son :)

Latest Forum Posts