Non-motoring > Bring Your Own Device (to work) Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 28

Bring Your Own Device (to work) - zippy
Work have sent out an email that I have picked up on my work phone saying that they are cancelling the current phone contracts and going to a BYOD policy.

I guess there is a huge cost saving for them but they expect us to provide an up to date smart phone (latest version of IOS or Android only) and they will put an app on the phone to control it including the ability to see content on the phone, wipe the phone remotely, there will be no allowances paid towards the devices and they expect business calls to be made either through the App (using data) or from one's own contracted call allowance.

Err, no!

Bring Your Own Device (to work) - sooty123
Your work suddenly short of a bob or two? Someone trying to get promoted?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 5 May 22 at 12:08
>> Your work suddenly short of a bob or two? Someone trying to get promoted?
>>

I like to think that the motive is cost saving, but I do wonder if sometimes they do these things just to pee staff off.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Manatee
Incline to agree.

Somebody hasn't thought that through.

As a policy for allowing people to use their own devices voluntarily it's logical, and why most people won't opt in to it. But to make it mandatory...I'd want to retain a work and a personal device and I wouldn't be expecting to pay for the work one if it is managed by them. I suppose it would depend on how much they paid me.

Naturally this policy will also apply to the executive board?
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - sooty123
Naturally this policy will also apply to the executive board?
>>

tinyurl.com/y6ona77c
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Falkirk Bairn
Wear & tear on the phone battery from business use should be recompensed by them paying part of the phone cost or the phone rental - depending on the amount of business use a minimum of 50% IMHO.
But you just wouldn't give them control of your personal phone would you? And if you have to buy a separate work phone, they should just pay for it.

I can sort of understand them wanting control of the 'image' if it's used for work email, but having access to your private messages etc. is ridiculous. It isn't a Chinese or Russian bank is it?
>> Chinese or Russian bank is it?
>>

You'd think, the way they've been acting recently but no.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Biggles
Are 'phone home' Xiaomi phones allowed?
>> Naturally this policy will also apply to the executive board?
>> >>
>>
>> tinyurl.com/y6ona77c
>>

So true!
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - bathtub tom
When I last worked for a large company, we were told to download a program that notified interested parties of when my PC was switched on and off, I ignored it. Never heard another word!

Just had a letter (wow!) from my energy company, saying I needed to make an appointment for the fitting of a smart meter (metre for the pedants). It also stated I may have difficulty arranging an appointment. I binned it.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - AlsoKnowAs
I have a similar arrangement with my work, but on my Android device I have 2 profiles, personal and work. Work can see and manage my work profile, but not my personal one. I can enable and disable the work profile, so off it goes it I don't want work notifications coming through (weekends, holidays etc). However, I wouldn't be happy with the arrangement if I got more than the occasional call.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - smokie
BYOD has been going on for ages, just do a forum search and you'll find posts I made from my last contract in 2015 where it was being discussed (and implemented).

The unions there were dead against it. A lot of use that was. Welcome to the 21st century.

The issue I have is they want the right to remotely wipe the entire phone, including my personal stuff, access my private data etc. and potentially review personal data etc.

For this very reason, I have a phone provided by work, which I do not use for anything personal even though we have permission to use reasonably and a totally separate private phone.

With the work phone we get a list of all calls made, websites viewed and thumbnails of photos and videos taken with the monthly bill on a web portal.

I can't understand why some of my colleagues use the company phone for their personal stuff 'cause it's all logged.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - VxFan
>> The issue I have is they want the right to remotely wipe the entire phone,
>> including my personal stuff, access my private data etc. and potentially review personal data etc.

Presumably they've gone through the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), and all associated staff have had the relevant training?

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 May 22 at 10:32
>>...GDPR...

They make a big thing of GDPR and where customers are concerned, they are exemplary and will do everything possible to comply.

For staff, especially the non-retail customer divisions, I wouldn't trust them one bit.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Kevin
>For staff, especially the non-retail customer divisions, I wouldn't trust them one bit.

In that case,

Are they giving you a written indemnity, to be reviewed by a solicitor of your choosing and paid for by the company, to protect you against any action resulting from the loss of company or personal data, entered, held or transferred via your device, however that loss may occur?
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Zero

>> towards the devices and they expect business calls to be made either through the App
>> (using data) or from one's own contracted call allowance.

Just tell them you have a terrible credit record and subsequently unable to get a mobile phone contract. If they take your phone away they will have to contact you by landline
>> Just tell them you have a terrible credit record and subsequently unable to get a
>> mobile phone contract. If they take your phone away they will have to contact you
>> by landline

I'm sure that's TIC but banks certainly used to do periodic searches on their employees and probably still do if it doesn't break the rules on use of data.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Rudedog
In our Trust the have been given iPads to use for various ward audits where we need a portable device.... the installed apps have been updated over the months but now the iPads are too old to run them.... the Trusts response is to ask the nursing staff to use their own personal phones to install the apps... guess what all have said no... so the audits have not been done!

Along similar lines in the NHS there seems to be an unofficial trend for clinical staff to use WhatsApp as a way of communicating within their teams... this seems to have superseded emails or even calling an extension, so staff not able or willing to use WhatsApp for work purposes are left feeling alienated.

Bring Your Own Device (to work) - R.P.
WhatsApp for work purposes are left feeling alienated.

And where's the audit trail when the wheel comes off ?
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Bromptonaut
>> WhatsApp for work purposes are left feeling alienated.

My last two offices have used GoogleChat for exchanging messages. Not used for any formal decision making and some people participate more than others. It's useful for people to let the rest of the team know when they're on/off duty or with IT or process issues.

In the old office we used it quite a bit between individuals for social chit chat. Very easy way to waste a lot of time....
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - bathtub tom
>> In the old office we used it quite a bit between individuals for social chit
>> chat. Very easy way to waste a lot of time....

I found the 'smoking room' was best for that and other relevant information, even after I gave up the weed.
>> WhatsApp for work purposes are left feeling alienated.

I must admit to being in the same crowd. This and the other place are the only "social media" sites that I use.

I much prefer a coffee, beer, breakfast meet with mates.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Kevin
Coffee and beer for breakfast?
>> Coffee and beer for breakfast?
>>

We start early down here! :-)
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - R.P.
Been volunteering at the Food-Bank from just before the Pandemic, it has become more or less full time if not delivering, doing admin every other week, this means phoning people on my own phone - not something I want to do for a number of reasons, not least ending up on Police databases when phoning a drug user etc, and forgetting to block people's numbers. 3 don't offer e-SIMs at this stage.... Roll back a few months when my iPhone XS (best version I've ever had) stopped charging, so I bought a new iPhone 13, I mentioned the problem to the guy at Western Computers in Chester and fixed the XS there and then (pocket lint in the charging socket). What I've done now is got a proper SIM from SMARTY (3 network) for a headline 4 per month. Made my life a whole lot easier and more secure.
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Zero

>> I'm sure that's TIC

Twas, yes, him being in the financial services sector
 Bring Your Own Device (to work) - Fursty Ferret
"Dear Boss,

My Nokia 3310 doesn't appear to be compatible with the management apps you wish to install. Please provide an approved suitable alternative.

Love and kisses,

zippy"

I'd find it quite restrictive if a management profile were installed on my phone. While they can't read personal data, they can see the list of apps installed and apply irritating additional security policies (instant lock, disabling Keychain, disabling keyboard suggestions etc).
Latest Forum Posts