Non-motoring > Head count - see or hear? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 24

Head count - see or hear? - Crankcase
Richard Feynmann tells one of his long and amusing stories about counting up to a minute in your head. I won't bother to describe it here, but his conclusion was that some people "hear" the numbers in their heads as they count, and some "see" them.

His "experiment" showed if you "hear" the numbers then you can't easily talk whilst counting to 60 - but you can type a paragraph sensibly.

If you "see" them it's the other way about - type and you lose your place in the count.

If you do the wrong activity for you then your estimate of a minute is considerably worse than doing the "right" activity.

I'm a hearer. I can type whilst counting but no way can I talk and get anywhere near the minute. In the spirit of data gathering - which are you?

Unless you can't do either, in which case how do you do it?

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 27 Sep 10 at 22:30
 Head count - see or hear? - Kevin
Doesn't matter to me.

I get an interrupt every 60 seconds from the watchdog timer.

#define _ZZZZZZ (60 * cpu_ticks)

case SIGALRM:
yes_dear();
snooze(_ZZZZZZ);
break;

Kevin...
 Head count - see or hear? - MD
?
 Head count - see or hear? - Kevin
Sorry Martin.

A watchdog timer is something that interrupts you at pre-determined intervals if you don't acknowledge it's presence.

A SIGALRM means that you've just run out of time and received an elbow in the ribs.

yes_dear() is what you immediately jump to do to try and placate the watchdog timer.

You can then try to snooze for a while ;-)

Kevin...
 Head count - see or hear? - Dog
Scuse me if I've got the wrong end of the stick but, could the OP have any relationship to multi tasking?
I simply find it absolutely impossible to multi task and if I'm concentrating on something I'll be completely thrown off course if I'm interrupted,
Whereas wifey, who is a practice manager for 23 souls couldn't do her job if she wasn't a competent multi tasker.
I'm a 'hearer' btw.
 Head count - see or hear? - Pat
It's a myth that men can't multitask..they can if they want to.

They just don't want to.

Pat
>>It's a myth that men can't multitask..they can if they want to<<

Nay lass, I really can't ... I'm a tad Autistic (ASD) and if I'm in *my* scullery preparing a roast dinner with all the pans singing away, and the Furor comes in to say something, it'll throw me completely 'off the job'.
 Head count - see or hear? - Iffy
...It's a myth that men can't multitask..they can if they want to...

Neither men nor women seem able to drive and use a handheld mobile without their attention to the road suffering.

I think my ability to do two things at once has declined with advancing age.

I'm sure I used find it easier to drive and adjust the radio than I do now.
>>I think my ability to do two things at once has declined with advancing age<<

That's probably it ifih ~ Oldteimers disease :-D
 Head count - see or hear? - Bagpuss
>> Neither men nor women seem able to drive and use a handheld mobile without their attention to the road suffering.

No, I find it's my attention to the phone conversation that suffers.
 Head count - see or hear? - Fenlander
>>>preparing a roast dinner *with all the pans*

See you're already multitasking.
>>See you're already multitasking<<

Perhaps Mrs Peacock is right then, men CAN multitask, what with the chicken & roast tatties in the oven, the broccoli, g/beans & carrots on the hob, teapot on the go, but I can handle all that (and more)
the problem comes when I'm interrupted :)
You could cope with being interrupted, but that would mean making an effort:)

Mr D!

Pat
>>You could cope with being interrupted, but that would mean making an effort:)<<

Effort! The dreaded word - for someone who suffers from Ergophobia :}
 Head count - see or hear? - Tooslow
fear of well designed goods?

John
 Head count - see or hear? - AnotherJohnH
Regarding the business of "multitasking" there was an article earlier this year relating to research performed in Utah:

if you google "supertaskers utah" the pdf second down the results is worth a read.

It appears there are a small number that really can.

>>if you google "supertaskers utah" the pdf second down the results is worth a read<<

Yep! That article explains a lot (for me), I know we have covered the subject here and over at the dead place before now, but this article really *hits* home Re: using mobile phones while driving!
 Head count - see or hear? - Cliff Pope
>> It's a myth that men can't multitask..they can if they want to.
>>
>> They just don't want to.
>>
>> Pat
>>

You mean just one wife and hardly any mistresses? (The English custom, Saki possibly?)
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 13:04
 Head count - see or hear? - Mapmaker
I have just discovered I can type or read whilst counting. Speaking... there's no hope at all.
 Head count - see or hear? - Cliff Pope
>> I have just discovered I ...>>

Only a few days ago I suddenly noticed I frequently read one thing while thinking about something completely different. I was reading a novel or a newspaper at the same time as working out what batten spacing I need for the kitchen ceiling insulation.

Another good way to solve a problem is to think about it for a bit just before going to sleep. Often in the morning the answer is obvious.
 Head count - see or hear? - BiggerBadderDave
I can have sex with one woman while thinking about another.
You should have been a lorry driver Dave.

Pat
 Head count - see or hear? - sherlock47
>> I can have sex with one woman while thinking about another.
>>

OK, but do NOT use the wrong name!
Last edited by: pmh on Wed 29 Sep 10 at 09:09
 Head count - see or hear? - DeeW
One chap I know solved this problem by marrying two women with the same name - and not a common one at that!
 Head count - see or hear? - Iffy
...marrying two women with the same name...

I've come across a few bigamists.

What startles me is how each woman seems to accept regular three and four-day absences of the husband.

I've known men lead double lives like this for years.

I don't think any woman can be that stupid, they want to believe he's working - not playing - away.
Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 29 Sep 10 at 09:32
Latest Forum Posts