Non-motoring > LHR New flight path? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 14

LHR New flight path? - Zero
No Idea whats happening at LHR, but they seem to be using a new flight path. You get used to air movements leaving near the place* but this was surprising,

Departing 09R (Thats east), hard 180 right climbing turn, to west (so south of airport) noticed by a BA A380 heavy that ended up lowish flying along my road.

* Damn I still miss the two daily Speedbird Concorde departures. Noisy as hell, but such a sight.
 LHR New flight path? - sherlock47
No note of any changes on LHR site
www.heathrow.com/company/local-community/noise/operations/departure-flight-paths

Could it be weather related? and wind from East which is not the prevailing direction?

I had not seen before the comment that the defined corridors are 3k wide. I think I heard it said that in recent times there had been some changes to the guidance path technology which meant that a greater number of aircraft were closer to the centre line of the path, hence becoming more of a nuisance if you lived under the centre line! Or was this particular flight at the limit of path?

>> the centre line of the path, hence becoming more of a nuisance if you lived
>> under the centre line! Or was this particular flight at the limit of path?

Limit probably, being an A380 heavy with a wider turn and slower rate of climb.
Which flight or approx time?
>> Which flight or approx time?
>>

11 ish
 LHR New flight path? - henry k
>> Departing 09R (Thats east), hard 180 right climbing turn, to west (so south of airport)
>> noticed by a BA A380 heavy that ended up lowish flying along my road.
>>
There certainly seems a lot of flights over us on that path

>> Damn I still miss the two daily Speedbird Concorde departures. Noisy as hell, but such a sight.
>>
So noisy we could still hear them taking off to the West.
Also the late evening incoming flight overhead apparently drifting on low power towards the city prior to turning round for LHR.

Still one Concorde rotting at Heathrow :-(
 LHR New flight path? - Bromptonaut
>> Departing 09R (Thats east), hard 180 right climbing turn, to west (so south of airport)
>> noticed by a BA A380 heavy that ended up lowish flying along my road.

SFAIK there's a SID that does that when 09R is in use. Probably towards the west (Woodley?) and for trans Atlantic services. If the best Oceanic tracks are further south that route might be favoured over a WOBUN or BUZAD SIDS used if a/c are aiming for a more northerly Oceanic Entry Point.

I'll have a look later.
BAW283 ? but not immediate 180 like some later takeoffs.
There's a SID towards Compton (via Woodley) that looks similar to what Z mentions.

I cannot find a way to link directly to it but the AIP index is here:

nats-uk.ead-it.com/cms-nats/opencms/en/Publications/AIP/Current-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 22 Apr 22 at 16:25
 LHR New flight path? - Fursty Ferret
When taking off on 09R, no one ever flies the Compton SID. Instead you fly straight ahead until reaching 2 miles from the LON VOR (which just north of the airport), then make a right turn onto a heading of 220 degrees and contact Heathrow radar to get out of their zone.

Strong winds will obviously influence where you roll out on the 220 heading.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sat 23 Apr 22 at 10:11
Thanks FF, I was hoping you'd chip in.

Runway heading to 2 DME LON then turn right is, I guess, going to give the sort of low altitude manoeuvre that Zero describes.

Was aware of various things groaning over a few years ago staying near Sunbury after picking daughter and husband up on their return from Oz. A grey dank December day with a chill easterly blowing. Couldn't see the planes but it was a time when 747s were still common.
 LHR New flight path? - zippy
A few years ago I was travelling anti-clockwise around the M25 near Heathrow and there was an A380 heading north, having turned between the M25 and Slough (nearer Langley).

I was surprised how low it was and it took what seemed to be an age to gain height, I did wonder if it was in trouble at the time.
Been to Syon Park this afternoon. Outbound via the A40, Greenford and Skew Bridge but returning satnav sent us on the A4 at Gillette Corner and past LHR.

Still on easterly ops with 09L for arrivals and 09R for departures. Nothing doing the low 180 while I could see it.

FR24 in last 15 mins shows a Delta service to JFK following the sort of track FF describes. Routed north of Woodley and south of Compton before turning NW across the Severn then and over the Brecon Beacons National Park.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 23 Apr 22 at 17:01
 LHR New flight path? - Fursty Ferret
>> I was surprised how low it was and it took what seemed to be an age to gain height,
>> I did wonder if it was in trouble at the time.

Dougal, this one is small. That one is *far away*.

Joking aside, most aircraft are now much lower than they used to be on the climb out from the airport due to more accurate performance data available. This is balanced by the engines being much much quieter than they used to be so there's not really any net loss.

Only requirement is to clear obstacles by 35ft if an engine fails.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sun 24 Apr 22 at 09:49
 LHR New flight path? - bathtub tom
>>Only requirement is to clear obstacles by 35ft if an engine fails.

You're expected to climb over, with no engines?
Latest Forum Posts