Non-motoring > Revolut Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

Revolut - legacylad
I’m sure a few folks have a Revolut card.

Had mine for several years.....a great easy way to load up currencies from your current bank account. At a decent exchange rate.

Groups of us go out regularly for meals and drinks overseas. One pays the bill. We divide it equally, and as we all have Revolut cards transfer it to the person paying. Takes seconds.
None of the previous mess with everyone trying to sort out cash at the table/bar.

Use it at supermarkets, for car hire and buying fuel, one way flights back from overseas.

Simple to generate a statement, and print it off should you wish.

What a great little card to have. Or just as an app on your phone.

Only small recent downside is the €4 charge when you withdraw €200 from the ATM...monthly withdrawals over €200 incur larger charges, but I rarely use cash overseas unless it’s for sub €5 payments.
 Revolut - CGNorwich
Isn’t a credit card designed for overseas travel simpler and more useful?
 Revolut - Bobby
My sister and her buddies use some sort of “kitty” app when they go on holiday. Everyone just plugs in what they spent and then it automatically works out at end of holiday who owes what. Not sure if it then relies on them doing a bank transfer or whether that is linked to them actual app.
 Revolut - smokie
I also like with Revolut (and most likely other cards) that it has location based security, and you can individually turn on and off elements e.g. mag strip transactions, online transactions, ATM etc.

What I don't like is how they cheated me out of a referral payment because I sent my mate the wrong link.

Aren't ATM withdrawals up to €200 free any more? I thought 1 per month was.

Revolut - legacylad
smokie.
No. They used to be, but no longer. I think every withdrawal, no matter how small, up to €200, is subject to the €4 fee.
Not worth bothering about really....

Pre Revolut, I used my Santander debit card to withdraw cash, and a different credit card with smaller commission charges.

For me, the beauty of Revolut is buying currency when the exchange rate is favourable. Which you can see in a split second. Just now it’s €1.1999 to the £.
And transferring euros between friends...
I bought quite a lot of euros when it was over €1.2 which will pay for my rentals in May and Autumn 2022
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 7 Apr 22 at 12:31
 Revolut - smokie
Couldn't see mention of an ATM charge in the Help stuff in my profile, nor was I charged last week in Portugal. Maybe it's new this month. I'll look again later.

It does say you can only withdraw up to €300 or do 5 ATM withdrawals per calendar month without a charge. I wasn't aware of the latter but rarely likely to do that anyway - except in Egypt I withdrew small amounts as there wasn't much to spend it on except things that cost next to nothing anyway - taxis and beer :-)
 Revolut - DeeW
This morning on a BBC programme catching scammers, by hacking into their call centres in India and listening in to scam calls, then trying to stop the scam. One victim was asked to down load Revolut, having given the scammers access to their phone and computer. They were then asked to transfer their money into Revolut to “protect” it then move it into a new account. One saw Revolut trying to stop the scam by intervening and warning the victim it looked suspicious. Well done Revolut
 Revolut - zippy
I saw a couple of these programs and they are good.

Well done Revolut!

How legal is the ethical hacker though? They are gaining access to a computer system (the scammers) illegally, even though it’s for a good cause.

Also you can’t help some people. We had a customer who refused to accept they were being scammed (wanted to transfer very significant money to an account that we knew to be owned by a scammer at another bank) and blocked the transaction. He raged at us, despite a full explanation and transferred the money from an account he had at another bank.

The other bank has asked for all the evidence we had as he is now taking them to the ombudsman for losing his money!
Latest Forum Posts