Non-motoring > New mobile ideas? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 33

New mobile ideas? - Crankcase
For reasons too long to explain, I probably need to replace my phone. I've been very happy with it. It's an Huawei P30 Smart 2019, if anyone cares.

I know less than nothing about phones. All I know is that on Amazon, if I say I want NFC, a fingerprint sensor on the back, dual sim and unlocked, all of which I have now, then there are very few choices and mostly from names I don't know.

I was trying to avoid the great Chinese "send all your data secretly back to the PRC" (so I guess not Huawei, Honor, Xiaomi, Poco?) and the choice is less than huge. Probably Amazon isn't the place to look?

My sister in law has a Samsung, and I'm not that impressed with it. Odd interface, subtly and annoyingly different to stock Android. I've read Bad Things about Google Pixel phones?

I've never heard of Cubot, for example, but Amazon throws that at me.

Anyway, what names should I look at? LG? Nokia? Motorola?

Anyone have a brand that roughly matches what I'm looking for that they can recommend?
 New mobile ideas? - smokie
SWMBO has a Moto which was a medium priced one when bought (12 months or more ago, I think a little under £200), and she is v happy with it - quick enough, takes good pics and the size if what she was after. Not had any problems with it.

When I next change my first port of call with be whatever the Poco midranger is at the time. I don't think they've been caught up in any "spy" story yet and I've had an F3 and now an NFC. Bit more expensive than SWMBOs (ISTR about £250 for the NFC) but it was a really good spec phone at the time which ticked all my boxes - decent bit of processing & graphics oomph, NFC, microphone jack, SD card slot, half decent camera being the main ones.

I can't advise on the others except I know my daughter has been less than delighted with a recent Samsung mid range.
 New mobile ideas? - RichardW
I've got a Moto G50 which pretty much ticks all the boxes. It's not the fastest, nor is it the most 'stylish', but it only cost £180 (from Tesco, and I covered 2/3 of it with Clubcard vouchers!) and it does all i need.

Edit - it's also got a huge battery, so only needs charging every other day.
Last edited by: RichardW on Thu 7 Apr 22 at 09:48
 New mobile ideas? - CGNorwich
Depends on how much you want to pay and how much you care about the quality of the camera which tends to be where the price difference lies these days.
 New mobile ideas? - Dog
I have an old Moto E4 Plus which does everything I require.

I also use the ole woman's later Samsung thing, which I loathe.

If I was going to buy a new phone today, it would be another Moto.
 New mobile ideas? - Terry
Bought a Google Pixel 4a last year for about £200. Chose for two main reasons:

- Which magazine (which tends to be objective) gave it a good rating
- it is physically fairly small (fits in shirt pocket) unlike most smartphone "slabs"

Does all that I need it to as a fairly light user. Possibly less good if you are into games, watch videos, or want the status of a £1000+ apple. Good purchase!
 New mobile ideas? - Zero
My Moto G60s has NFC, fingerprint sensor on back, dual sim, and virtually stock Android.

180 quid-ish on the Zon.
 New mobile ideas? - Runfer D'Hills
Or, just get an iPhone.

Leave the hoi polloi to the other things…

;-)))
 New mobile ideas? - Zero
>> Or, just get an iPhone.
>>
>> Leave the hoi polloi to the other things…
>>
>> ;-)))

Super, of course it fails on no rear fingerprint sensor and dual sim. Hmmm thats two things it hasn't got, hmmm seems familiar somehow, wonder what it is?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 7 Apr 22 at 10:50
Don’t need fingerprints when you have facial recognition now do you?

Perhaps you weren’t aware of that more modern option of course. Fair enough.

;-))
 New mobile ideas? - Zero
Mine has both, still if you are used to compromises.............
 New mobile ideas? - Bromptonaut
Another vote for Motorola.

Mrs B and I have both recently migrated to Moto G 31. Between £155 and £175 depending on on board storage. Think it wooul tick all your boxes.

www.motorola.co.uk/smartphones-moto-g-31/
I had a Motorola about 25 years ago.

People still have those eh?

Wow, how retro…

;-))
>> Don’t need fingerprints when you have facial recognition now do you?

Which I agree was absolutely the bees knees until mask wearing and I had to put in the code number when paying with my phonein shops.
 New mobile ideas? - VxFan
>> Which I agree was absolutely the bees knees until mask wearing and I had to
>> put in the code number when paying with my phone in shops.

Apple have since overcome that.
www.businessinsider.com/face-id-with-mask?r=US&IR=T
>> Apple have since overcome that.
>> www.businessinsider.com/face-id-with-mask?r=US&IR=T

Interesting although I 'd need to upgrade - Fortunately more or less done with masks anyway.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 7 Apr 22 at 11:37
 New mobile ideas? - Zero
>> >> Apple have since overcome that.
>> >> www.businessinsider.com/face-id-with-mask?r=US&IR=T
>>
>> Interesting although I 'd need to upgrade -

You'll need to upgrade anyway as Apple cripple your phone over the coming years.
I'll problaly upgrade this year anyway. Fancy a different colour one
>> Super, of course it fails on no rear fingerprint sensor and dual sim.

All iPhones from 2018 onwards have dual SIM.
 New mobile ideas? - Duncan
>> All iPhones from 2018 onwards have dual SIM.
>>

I don't think so.
>> I don't think so.

I must have dreamt about it then.

www.knowyourmobile.com/news/which-iphones-are-dual-sim-and-how-is-e-sim-different/

What iPhones Have Dual-SIMs?

All iPhones introduced in 2018 and later have dual-SIM (via e-SIM) support. These include:

iPhone XS
iPhone XS Max
iPhone XR
iPhone 11
iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone 12 Mini
iPhone 12
iPhone 12 Pro
iPhone 12 Pro Max
iPhone SE (2020)

Info from Apple here:
support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044#:~:text=With%20iPhone%2013%20Pro%20Max,nano%2DSIM%20and%20an%20eSIM.
 New mobile ideas? - Zero
Its an e-sim, not a dual sim, it has limitations. They also dont have sd card slots.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 7 Apr 22 at 12:00
>> Its an e-sim, not a dual sim, it has limitations.

It still gives you 2 different numbers though, which is what most people use it for.

>> They also dont have sd card slots.

Then buy an iPhone with plenty of memory. the last phone I had with an SD card was an old Nokia from 10 years ago, or even longer. Can't say I've missed them in all that time.
But if someone really did want to use an SD card, or USB stick in an iPhone, then just use an adapter that plugs into the lightning socket.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 Apr 22 at 12:44
 New mobile ideas? - Zero
And that just about sums up Iphones, Extra excessive expense, compromises and kludges.
Nice colours though
>> >> I don't think so.

>> I must have dreamt about it then.

No dual SIM on my iPhone SE 2020.

Honest.
>> No dual SIM on my iPhone SE 2020.

I can assure you it has.

The 2nd SIM is built into the phone, and called a e-SIM.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OHmJ0Y-Poc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dVJulsiTiw
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 Apr 22 at 12:37

>> The 2nd SIM is built into the phone, and called a e-SIM.

Well. It seems that you are right and I am wrong.

My grovelling apologies.

Now I need to think of a reason why I need another SIM.
 New mobile ideas? - Bobby
What do you use NFC for? Is that what “powers” contactless payment?
 New mobile ideas? - Zero
Yes, Apple pay and google pay. Plus now control of other devices like cameras etc
 New mobile ideas? - smokie
Also I have a few stickers around the house which NFC interacts with to do stuff like joining the (guest) WiFi, and turning on and off or adjusting scenes (collections of devices) and individual devices
 New mobile ideas? - zippy
I’m an iPhone user. The lad uses a Motorola play (latest model) at about £110 and loves it, so that’s another recommendation for Motorola.
 New mobile ideas? - Crankcase
Well, lots of chatter there, chaps. I did the iPhone thing as they were work phones. Nice enough, but now probably prefer Android, thank you.

Looks like lots of votes for Motorola, so I'll see what's available at the minute.

Off to look at a car at a dealer now though. What am I thinking? It's an EV. With a year's waiting list. Madness.
Yeah well, hmmm, thing is re the Android phone, well, yeah I suppose, but of course you bought a Skoda too didn’t you?

Not suggesting for one moment there’s anything really wrong with either decision of course, but there is a kind of pattern emerging don’t you think?

;-))
Latest Forum Posts