Non-motoring > CH control for elderly Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

CH control for elderly - legacylad
On a previous long duration overseas trip I arrived home to find a newly installed Salus RT520 thermostat heating control in my 90+ yo mums house.
The mechanical clock timer on her Veissmann boiler had broken to be replaced by the Salus.

She can’t see the control buttons and consequently just pushes all and sundry....the house is either red hot or cold. No point me constantly adjusting the settings...times & temps for the boiler to come on and go off.

Any recommendations for a really simple control, which she can override to turn the heating up or turn down without messing with the pre sets which I’ll have set up for her own schedule of getting up and going to bed, which doesn’t vary.

TIA
 CH control for elderly - Crankcase
With the Nest, it's a big round thingy that sits on the shelf or wall It has preset times and temperatures. If you are cold (or hot) you just turn the outside ring and big numbers on the screen show you what temperature you are choosing.

At the next scheduled time it will reset to whatever you programmed.

If you repeat that action for a few days at about the same time, it will think you always want it a bit warmer at ten am, or whatever, and change the schedule itself to reflect that.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 3 Apr 22 at 16:25
 CH control for elderly - Kevin
If it's just a case of the button markings being illegible would these help?

www.amazon.co.uk/Coloured-Metallic-Adhesive-stickers-LABELS4U/dp/B00NMEN102
 CH control for elderly - legacylad
Thanks but the up/down buttons are simply too small....I had thought of putting on red/blue electrical tape but she’d probably stab at buttons either side.....

The Nest option as suggested by Crankcase seems a good idea. I’m going to check them out as there seem to be different ‘Nests’...

Best thing I bought her recently was a ‘dementia’ clock....linked to her BB, displays day, time, date, outside weather on a large rectangular display. Brilliant piece of expensive cheap plastic but perfect for her.
 CH control for elderly - Crankcase
The Nest requires a box hard wired to the boiler and hot water (that comes with it in the price). It's probably not hard to wire, but we got our friendly plumber man to do it, not being even a remotely capable person. He'd only done one before at that time, but he said it was easy enough, nothing special.

The schedules can auto adjust themselves, as I described, but you mostly set them up and can play with them via an app (or I guess, on the website). They don't HAVE to do that, you can turn that feature off.

You can make it come on early at a time of its choosing (it learns how fast your room heats up) automatically if it's cold outside, so it's always the right temperature when you get up. Or you can turn that feature off too, so it just starts/stops heating at the time you set.

You can remotely control the heating via your phone from anywhere. We use this to kick the heating into play on the morning of the last day of a holiday or something.

You can have it automatically turn the heating on or off depending on whether you are in the house. That can work with a phone, without a phone, or not at all, as you wish.

If you want to, you can connect it to Alexa or Google and talk to those. Sometimes I've forgotten to turn on the heating on the way home from somewhere, and just said "hey google, set the heating to 20" in the car.

Finally, yes, even Mrs C can turn the dial to be hotter or cooler, and that's all she wants and knows about.

So basically, loads of features, but you need use none of them if you want a simple easy to read and control system. But then, if you aren't USING any of that, there may of course be other cheaper systems that do simple easy to read heat control and nothing else.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 5 Apr 22 at 13:50
 CH control for elderly - R.P.
Having had Nest (in the last house !) and Hive in this one, I have to say that the Nest is superior and easier to "work"
 CH control for elderly - sherlock47
Install a old style mechanical timer and combine with a locked ' thermostat?

tinyurl.com/4mrt82f6

tinyurl.com/36v6ervb

Does not meet all of your criteria but minimises opportunities for problems. You could also add some smart control that allows you to remotely monitor temperature and boost temp?

Latest Forum Posts