Non-motoring > Omega Advert Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 37

Omega Advert - zippy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQhnNnYl8sg

Not the most exciting ad, but very nicely done.

(I'm lucky enough to have been gifted an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and it is a lovely watch.)
 Omega Advert - Falkirk Bairn
For my eldest's 40th we were buying him a watch.
We were looking at an Omega in a shop window - it was a Seamaster.

My wife & I were just window shopping at this point.
An assistant in the shop popped his head around and said "Don't you wish you could afford it?"
and then went back into the shop.

I followed him to shop and said "Why would I buy a Seamaster when I have a Constellation?"
Showed him the watch . Waited a moment and left.

My Constellation was a 21st present 50+ years ago.
 Omega Advert - zippy
>> An assistant in the shop popped his head around and said "Don't you wish you
>> could afford it?" and then went back into the shop.

Yep, would have cost a sale in my book also and it did with my parents when they wanted to buy a Honda many years ago and the salesman suggested they come back when they could afford one! Dad had the cash "burning a hole in his pocket" at the time.

>>
>> My Constellation was a 21st present 50+ years ago.
>>

Bit too flash for my liking :-) (Must be worth a few bob now!?)
 Omega Advert - Falkirk Bairn
We bought a watch in another shopping centre.

50+ years and it has broken down once.

How many of today's Apple watches will be working in 2060?
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich

>> How many of today's Apple watches will be working in 2060?
>>

How many of us will come to that!

Omega Advert - Manatee
I wouldn't mind being gifted one of those. I still have an enthusiasm for watches.

Horrible usage. What's the difference between given and gifted in that context?
 Omega Advert - zippy
>> Horrible usage. What's the difference between given and gifted in that context?
>>

I'm no grammar expert. To me, being given something is just a general - have one of these things like a sweet - no special occasion. To me, gifted is given something on a special occasion such as a birthday by someone you care for.
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
I really understand the watch thing. They all do the same thing and look pretty much the same unless you are close enough to read the manufacturers name. Why pay thousands if you can get perfectly nice looing watch for under a hundred?
 Omega Advert - Manatee
Well you could say that it's the joy of owning a nice bit of engineering/craftmanship but really that aspect is much over done in the marketing, and a chronometer movement doesn't actually cost that much, certainly not thousands.

It's jewellery. I don't pay that much. Although when I was working in Greece in about 2004, the shop next to my regular hotel had a new green Rolex Submariner in the window for about €2400. I did stop and look a few times. It would have been a good investment.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 1 Apr 22 at 16:15
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
I agree its jewellery but beyond that there's not much point in buyin a "luxury" watch. Status i suppose and possibly an investment although I suspect if that it the aim best to purchase an antique rather than a new one. I suppose you could make a case for them being more useful than "luxury" fountain pens though

Omega Advert - Dog
Very troo - I have an Iron Annie watch and wouldn't swop it for any Omega or Rolex watch.
 Omega Advert - sooty123
I suppose you could say that about anything.

For many it's a collection thing, like stamps, cars, comics books etc.
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
Dont really understand the collection thing either :-) Guess I'm a bit of a minimalist really. Tend only to buy things I need and chuck stuff when I no longer have a use for it
 Omega Advert - R.P.
Watches are special - the only jewellry I will wear. I have a Seamaster bought as a fiftieth birthday present from my wife. I love it. I also have a Rolex Submariner, a good investment as a second hand watch a few years ago. Now valued recently as being worth a £1000 worth more than I paid for it. I also own a 1959 Rolex Oyster and a 2004 Rolex Air King (second hand purchase and a lovely "everyday" watch) - considering a new Omega. I love them
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 2 Apr 22 at 16:52
 Omega Advert - helicopter

I love watches.

I have an Omega Constellation used for evening wear bought by the late SWMBO when I was 60. I bought her the ladies Omega Constellation on her 60th birthday.

I also have a Longines ,beautifully slim with a square face, three Seiko chronometers which I like as alternatives for day wear but my everyday favourite watch is my 25 year old Tag Heuer divers watch .

Omega Advert - bathtub tom
Most expensive watch I've got is a '70s Bulova Accutron. Remember them? Early battery powered watch, regulated by an internal tuning fork. Lousy timekeeper!
 Omega Advert - Bobby
Am I allowed to say I love my Apple Watch?????
Does far more than simply tell the time…..
 Omega Advert - Ted

I'm nota watchophile. It has to do one job for me...tell me the time ! ATM I have a black plastic Casio with a black face and yellow numbers. The hands go round and round and the strap is integral with the watch so less chance of breaking. Amazon, of course, about £15, like the last one which I binned when the strap broke !

I have a Pulsar, gifted by my son, only worn it twice. At Chrimbo when he was coming. I do have a strapless Omega of some sort which replaced my Rotary, given by my in laws 2B at my 21st. That was lost some years later during a fight in Port Street, Manchester !

There are a few watches somewhere about from dead family members. Some, I guess may be Victorian. Maybe worth looking at. We also have TQ's Grt Gran's spectacles.....1880s probbbly !

Ted
 Omega Advert - Dog
I have a Casio Wave Ceptor, had it for years, and it's still going strong. Radio controlled and solar powered.

It's the purrfect watch really, but I prefur my Iron Annie.
 Omega Advert - sherlock47
I cannot understand the need for people people to wear 'fashion jewelry,' but engineering keepsakes in the shape of watches blurs the line to the point that I suppose could consider it.

However why does one actually need a watch? The last analogue watch that I had was in the early 80s, and after it it stopped in the late 80s I soon became adept at knowing the time from observation of other peoples watches, on-street displays etc. I have toyed with several digital wearables that added fitness features, but reliability issues have resulted in them joining the pile of failed technology that litters the house.

With the coming of cell phones, time awareness has become almost universal and should render the need for a timepiece redundant. However I look around the house and still find multiple displays of time, ranging from an old analogue quartz kitchen clock to an 'Alexa'. Lets not mention the oven clock which is always wrong, (resetting is always problematic), and multiple devices which incidentally always display accurate network derived times.

I suppose I should quit rambling,and go back to my hoard of old (and new) ageing technology - each to their own:)
 Omega Advert - smokie
For much the same reasons I've not worn a watch for 6 or 7 years. Even when I did, it wasn't something I spent much on, though I was bought a fairly decent watch when I was young (maybe it was my 21st, from my parents) which I didn't really like!!
 Omega Advert - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> However why does one actually need a watch?

Because this happens;

"I wonder what the time is?"

Undoes jacket, removes phone from inside pocket, undoes the case and presses the button to light the screen up to display the time. Closes screen, flips case shut, puts phone back in pocket and redoes jacket.

"Hang on what time did that say again?"

Much easier to glance down at your wrist and instantly note the time on a nice clear display. I wouldn't be without my reliable fifteen quid Limit.
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
Put the phone in your trouser pocket and dispense with the unnecessary case. Problem fixed.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 3 Apr 22 at 11:52
>> Put the phone in your trouser pocket and dispense with the unnecessary case. Problem fixed.
>>
>>

In the back pocket I'd end up sitting on it and if you can fit a modern smartphone in a front pocket without giving yourself a vasectomy everytime you do sit down you must have very deep pockets.

You just can't beat a wrist watch.
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
My iPhone fits just fine. About the only thing I carry now. Given up on wallets, and cash as well as watches. All no longer needed.
 Omega Advert - Dog
I have too much time, x 4 in lounge. x 3 in kitchen. x 2 in bedroom x 2 in bathroom??

x 1 in garage. x 1 in annexe. x 1 in car, and one off on the wrist.

So how come I never seem to have enough hours in the day?
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 3 Apr 22 at 13:30
 Omega Advert - Kevin
>My iPhone fits just fine...

It sounds as if we have similar views CGN.

I have a fetish for good mechanical watches but can't, for the life of me, understand why people buy overpriced tat like iStuff.
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
"why people buy overpriced tat like iStuff."

High priced certainly but I don't think an iphone is "tat". Personly I bought mine for purely pracical reasonse An iPhone has the ability to stream to my hearing aid, a feaure Android phones didn't havea few years back although few high end Samsung and Google models now have this feature
 Omega Advert - Kevin
You don't have to justify your purchases to me CGN. I have my own expensive but non-essential nice-to-have's. Most made by Breitling.
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
I guess so but I still don't really understand the point of collecting anything really. That's just me.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 3 Apr 22 at 17:37
>> I guess so but I still don't really understand the point of collecting anything really.
>> That's just me.
>>

No hobby has any "Point".

People have them because they like them.
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
That's very true. Dont't think I have anything I would call a hobby.
 Omega Advert - Zero
>> Put the phone in your trouser pocket and dispense with the unnecessary case. Problem fixed.
>>

Alas not fixed when you get the phone out to answer it and it drops on the floor.
 Omega Advert - CGNorwich
I also actually have one of those transparent plastic banks on the phone that protects the corners. Dropped phone a few times but have never broken one. I don’t quite see the point of phone cases you have to open
 Omega Advert - Bromptonaut

Attach case to belt of trousers.
 Omega Advert - Zero
I get the watch thing I really do. It feels good to have a superb and classic bit of engineering on your wrist, it appeals to most men on every level. Lets be honest tho, most of the common expensive classic brands, are not that good looking, big thick and heavy. Complete lack of class really*

I have my fav man bling watches in a drawer. And thats where they stay. Replaced by a Withings smart watch. Its exceptionally good looking in a classic sense, at home in every lifestyle scenario you can think of. Its a little thick but weighs not much, its a nice face size, and It excels at its primary function of telling you the time at a glance via hands. Its also smart in all the right areas - discreetly warning / displaying of mail, messages, phone call, exercise functions.

At under 200 quid, its been on my wrist non stop for two years, and I simply cant think of any circumstances where I would need or want to wear any other watch.

* JUNGHANS Meister Automatic 38mm with crafted black leather strap shows good looking real class, appreciation of fine watchmaking at around the £1k mark.
 Omega Advert - henry k
I have a couple of Rotary battery watches. They both are maybe 5 years old and both seem to need a new battery about every year.
As I do not get out to any shops very often to have a battery change I bought a Seiko solar powered alternative at a good price from Ebay as a back up that is always on standby.
It seems an odd approach but one has to adapt.

Yesterday, I spoke too soon!!! The Seiko has stopped.
This morning I have just advanced the time on it by a couple of minutes and the second hand is now doing its job.
Ho! Hum!

Omega Advert - Fullchat
I'm like Ted. I had a sub £10.00 Casio digital for work in case anything better got damaged in a rumble. The batteries always lasted longer than the straps. Served me well over many decades. Still wear one in the garden or garage.

When I hit the big 60 I went out with the purpose of treating myself to an expensive watch. I just couldn't. The fear of losing, damaging or getting it stolen overrode the desire to own one. I came back with a £120 Fossil.

I do get the pleasure and perhaps the investment of owning such a timepiece but its not for me.
Latest Forum Posts