Non-motoring > New vari-focals Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 30

New vari-focals - hawkeye
Having worn glasses for 44 years, I'm just getting to grips with these, fitted about an hour ago. I'm short-sighted and peeping over the tops of my glasses to use the mobile or read print was just insane.

I've done the usual stuff like missing a step on the stairs, picking up a cat that wasn't there and feeling a bit nauseous. Maybe the nausea was to do with last night's skinful and a warm curry. I'm using the computer and I think I've taxed may car at Direct.gov.

Anyone else had problems adjusting and how long did it take? I've got swimming classes starting in an hour and am undecided whether to use these new things or go back to the tried and tested specs. I'm going to look a right plonker walking off the edge of the pool aren't I?
 New vari-focals - Iffy
...I'm going to look a right plonker walking off the edge of the pool aren't I?...

Just tell 'em it was a pre-arranged lifesaving dril.

Can't help with specs, other than 'drive carefully'.

New vari-focals - Zero
Takes about 8 hours to get the eyes and head used to looking through the right bits of the lens.

Hope you followed the thread on here about this some time ago, warning you to get lenses that are big enough for vari's to be comfortably usable.
 New vari-focals - Bromptonaut
Agree with Zero. It probably took me a day or so to get used to mine but they're a fairly deep lens - nearest I could find to 'aviator' style. Only problem I have now is looking up at something, the stage at kid's school is worst, when I find I'm viewing a distant object through the 'near' section of the lens.

Trying to use fashionable letterbox lenses as a varifocal would be a nightmare.
 New vari-focals - henry k
>>Trying to use fashionable letterbox lenses as a varifocal would be a nightmare.
>>
For anyone long sighted like me, if you need to view close up items using the top of part of the lens of course it dont work.
I bought a, cheap larger frames, pair of specs with simple reading lenses.
I call them my DIY glasses. I use them for any DIY stuff at ceiling level or anything above head height.
 New vari-focals - BiggerBadderDave
"I'm going to look a right plonker walking off the edge of the pool aren't I?"

Not as silly as riding your Segway along a cliff edge.
 New vari-focals - Zero
>> "I'm going to look a right plonker walking off the edge of the pool aren't
>> I?"

Don't worry about it, you cant see them laughing at you.
 New vari-focals - bathtub tom
My optician talked me into varifocals years ago. After a month he agreed to replace them for bifocals. I couldn't get on with them at all. I found I was always having to move my head around to line up what I was looking at with a suitable part of the lens.
 New vari-focals - Bill Payer
>> I found I was always having to move my head around to line up what I was looking at
>> with a suitable part of the lens.
>>
I got them a couple of years and never had a moments trouble.

I actually like the bit where you can move your head and change focus - before I got varifocals I often felt that things were just slightly out of focus, now I can "adjust" the focus by moving my head slightly.
 New vari-focals - L'escargot
>> My optician talked me into varifocals years ago. After a month he agreed to replace
>> them for bifocals. I couldn't get on with them at all. I found I was
>> always having to move my head around to line up what I was looking at
>> with a suitable part of the lens.
>>

That was my experience as well.
 New vari-focals - Biggles
Dave, you really are a bad man! Have you no sense of respect ;-)?
 New vari-focals - Ted

I had varis from a well known high st chain....couldn't get on with them at all. The magnifying bit was just too low. I would have preferred bi-focals but they didn't do them.
They were also reactolite......hopeless for me..in and out of the garage on a sunny day and not changing fast enough. I was taking them off all the time.

Had a new refraction test about a month ago following the cataract. Done by our local ,
highly qualified indy opticion, I had plain distance bins and the darkest polaroid prescription shades.....Both brilliant !

Just use £2 specs for reading...sometimes I don't need them, though.

Ted
 New vari-focals - Woodster
Stick with them Hawkeye. I'm on my first pair and had a few occasions when I had to take them off for a while but I persisted and very pleased I've done so. I got mine out of need - I don't have time at work to keep changing specs and whilst they were expensive I can't imagine being without them whilst I'm working. Don't notice them now at all.
 New vari-focals - Mike Hannon
Since last year I've been wearing single vision lenses in these new-fangled very shallow frames, and I still daren't look down when I'm walking downstairs for fear of missing one. I'll be glad when good old-fashioned 'aviator' frames are easy to find again.
 New vari-focals - MD
>> Since last year I've been wearing single vision lenses in these new-fangled very shallow frames,
>> and I still daren't look down when I'm walking downstairs for fear of missing one.
>> I'll be glad when good old-fashioned 'aviator' frames are easy to find again.
>>
I am mailing this to my Daughter at an Indy. V. Well connected Indy in the trade to see if there is a solution. Hope this is OK. No names no pack drill for now.

M
 New vari-focals - Ted

Plenty of deeper frames at my indy. I didn't want narrow, slitty ones.
I opted for rimless, 1.25 inches deep.

...And very handsome I look in them ! :-)

Ted
 New vari-focals - MD
Picture.............We'll decide!
 New vari-focals - MD
Had a word with the Orfspring and it would seem that Aviators are available. "Back in fashion" was the quote. Your move Sir.

Regards.......M
 New vari-focals - Iffy
...I opted for rimless, 1.25 inches deep...and very handsome I look in them...

Ted thinks he's Dennis Taylor.

tinyurl.com/3a2le87
Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 29 Sep 10 at 20:40
 New vari-focals - JohnM{P}
If you are still having problems, go back to the optician and make sure that the glasses are fitting properly, ie the lens' centres are in line with your pupils. To do this correctly, whoever does the checking has to find and mark the centres on the lenses first (this should have happened when you get the glasses).
 New vari-focals - John H

>> To do this correctly, whoever does the checking has to find and mark the centres
>> on the lenses first (this should have happened when you get the glasses).
>>

Apart from that, even with standard single focal lenses, if you observe spectacle wearers, you will see a large proportion with misaligned frames; and that is not just in x axis but also y and z axes.
 New vari-focals - Old Navy
I have found the way to initially use varifocals is to point your nose at what you want to see. After a day or so it becomes automatic and you don't have to think about it. I am old enough to put comfort before fashion and have aviator style varifocals which work well.
 New vari-focals - hawkeye
>> I have found the way to initially use varifocals is to point your nose at
>> what you want to see.

That's what it said in the instruction leaflet. Point your nose. Doing me best, honest.

I can't use them for watching TV because I like to stretch out and end up looking through the bottoms of the lenses, and I can't use them on the motorcycle because the mirrors are seen through the bottom of the lens as well and the helmet stops me tipping my head down to see them with the distance part of the lens.

Their primary function; to look at swimmers in the distance and then make notes or look at my watch; brilliant.

Driving; good for distance and can see the instruments and sat nav with the mid-range.

Overall; working well but not as good overall as I'd hoped.
 New vari-focals - John H

>> Overall; working well but not as good overall as I'd hoped.
>>

A top quality product such as www.varilux.co.uk should avoid pitfalls mentioned in the above posts. No need to have large lenses, no need to wait to "get used to varifocals". There are progressive lenses, and then there are Varilux type progressive lenses.

I have Pentax lenses, they are fully progressive, but you still need to look through the appropriate part of the lens for the distance you want to see clearly.
 New vari-focals - madf
Have used vfocals for a decade. Great.. If you roill your eyes to look, us. If you move your neck, great.

As I do yoga, I tend to notice these things..
Many people are stiiff necked..:-)
Last edited by: madf on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 11:46
 New vari-focals - henry k
>> Have used vfocals for a decade. Great.. If you roill your eyes to look, us.
>> If you move your neck, great.
>>
I too have used vfocals for over a decade as has SWMBO.
We both have Zeiss lenses. Mine are now over a decade old and I have only one comment about them. The " auto dim" only worked for a few years and then gave up. I have not seen this "feature" mentioned in any blurb but I guess the makers do expect folks to change there specs regularly.
By coincidence I have just collected a totally new pair of frames and lenses which I am about to start using. Once again I have chosen frames that are not to shallow.
 New vari-focals - John H
>> I have Pentax lenses,
>>

Are they as good as www.varilux.co.uk/products/universal-lenses/Pages/default.aspx ?

Last edited by: John H on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 11:49
>> >> I have Pentax lenses,
>> >>
>>
>> Are they as good as www.varilux.co.uk/products/universal-lenses/Pages/default.aspx ?
>>
>>
>>

No idea, but good enough for me. Do you own Varilux?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 16:50
 New vari-focals - Pat
I've got varilux and I can't fault them.

Pat
How do Varilux differ to good quality progressive varifocals with seamless transition between focal lengths?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 17:37
Latest Forum Posts