Non-motoring > TV Kaput Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 50

TV Kaput - Zero
Or going that way.

For a while, its been having intermittent green screens when selecting the HDMI channel with the Humax on. Suddenly the apps dont work, claiming no internet access, despite the set testing the link as OK. Then the HDMI channels dont work at all accept with the firestick.

Its a !0 year old Panasonic.

I suspect the power supply is croaking suffering leaking capacitor issues.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 17 Mar 22 at 23:34
 TV Kaput - zippy
Green screen suggests no signal or only green getting through.

I would change the cheapest component first - i.e. the HDMI cable, a solder joint may have failed.

Then plug the aerial in to the tv directly, in case it's a problem with the Humax.

Another option is to factory reset the TV and unplug it for a while.

We had dust accumulation on a chip on an old piece of electronics and it failed. A good blow with an compressed air can solved the problem.

Other than that, and because you are more technically minded then me, Richer Sounds have a big sale on at the mo.
 TV Kaput - Duncan
>> Its a !0 year old Panasonic.
>>
>> I suspect the power supply is croaking suffering leaking capacitor issues.
>>

Is there nobody in your backwater of a forgotten corner of Surrey that knows about this sort of thing that could help you out?

Have you tried turning it off, leaving it for 5 minutes and turning it on again?

I would come over, I don't mind helping old people, but I'm going out on my bike.

Hmm?
 TV Kaput - Zero
Yes of course I have done all those things,

The green screen thing is called "lazy HDMI synch" I have changed the cable, and used different ports, It started rare, then intermittent, and of late gotten more frequent, and then after the loss of internet connection went to nothing but snow,

The Loss of wifi is inexplicable. I can connect to it with my phone and use the remote control on that via wifi, but I cant cast to it from the phone or my laptop, and it wont connect to the internet for catchup. Now I will try later to take it off DHCP and give it a fixed IP, and set it to google DNS servers and see what happens.

The fact that both issues went critical in the same evening tho indicate something more fundamental, and I suspect power supply ripple. It is of an age where that stuff is expected,

An afternoon of experimentation ahead I think and then maybe a trip to JL
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 18 Mar 22 at 08:41
 TV Kaput - legacylad

>> An afternoon of experimentation ahead I think and then maybe a trip to ( the curry house)

That’s what we say when we catch the 11:30 bus to Kirkby Lonsdale for an afternoon on the pop
 TV Kaput - James Loveless
"... maybe a trip to JL"

Richer Sounds (if you have one anywhere near) I have found to have some decent TVs at decent prices.
 TV Kaput - R.P.
An afternoon of experimentation ahead I think and then maybe a trip to JL

Just done it (well virtually) bought myself a very nice LG-oled48c24la - awesome picture.
 TV Kaput - Kevin
If it's a smoothing cap they're easy to locate and on a Panasonic shouldn't be difficult to replace. Just a soldering iron, sucker and a good cap of same or higher uF and voltage. I have a stack of <= 20v ones in my man cave if you need one.

It's not as easy as it used to be to spot a duff one though because regulator ICs have taken over most of the work and caps tend not to leak like they used to. (Regulators are one of the chips causing headaches for auto manufacturers).

Whether it's worth repairing a 10y old TV is another question.
 TV Kaput - Falkirk Bairn
If Zero is looking for a Panasonic TV beware (PLUS many other "good brands" as well)

There are 2 types of Panasonic TVs

Ones made in a Panasonic Factory and Cheaper ones that have a Panasonic badge on the front but are made by a Turkish Contract Manufacturer who turn out millions of TVs for the bottom end of the market.

Vestel - Most TVs produced by Vestel are sold under licensed brand names such as Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, Polaroid, JVC, Bush, Alba and many own brand labels(failed European TV brands)
 TV Kaput - sherlock47
A Panasonic email flyer landed here this morning offering significant discounts - it looks as these prices are being matched by JL.

Are you likely to be buying 'Smart' Android? I find that my 4k Firestick has a much better Android implementation than the Sony Bravia. Although the latest Sony Android update is much better than previous. I do not like the Smart(Free)view on the Sony. Both will run BT Sport App.
i
In the second home (F), the Samsung proprietary Smart implementations work well and they were sig cheaper than the Sonys.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Fri 18 Mar 22 at 12:05
 TV Kaput - Bobby
It’s 10 years old.
Time to treat yourself.
 TV Kaput - smokie
A decent one will cost you probably half what you paid for the broken one, but I'm sure you know that.

Costco always has reassuringly expensive ones which are extremely eye catching, but I do not have the space or desire for such a beast.
 TV Kaput - Zero
Costco! now there a thought, If I can find a 40 inch one in amongst the drive in movie sized ones.
 TV Kaput - Duncan
>> Costco! now there a thought, If I can find a 40 inch one in amongst
>> the drive in movie sized ones.
>>

LG 43UP81006LA £380 ish. seems to be almost the same price JL as Costco.
 TV Kaput - Manatee
3 years ago I replaced a 42" inch TV with a 50", recalling that when I got the 42 it looked enormous but only for about a month. Same now with the 50", I'm thinking that's a bit small.
 TV Kaput - Dog
I've recently done the same - 42" to 48" and the actual size of the telly is the same (almost) as the 48" was.

Tis all screen, knowlmean.
 TV Kaput - martin aston
Another vote for Richer Sounds. Their prices are good, staff knowledgeable and demos available. The latter is key if you are going to rely on the onboard speakers. As I am sure you know they are very variable in quality and not necessarily price related. My in laws have a Sharp 40” bought a couple of years back for around £200 with much better sound than my £600 Panasonic.

I use a sound bar which gives very good quality.
 TV Kaput - Zero
Update.

Its working. Internet connection? I know not why, it just started working again with no action or intervention from me.

HDMI? I swopped out the freeview Humax for a spare Foxsat I had, and now that works (albeit with a flash of green screen when it synchs)

I fully expect it all to go TU again when its warmed up

I tested the DVD player (ie turned it on for the first time in a year) and It cant read disks.

Ill test the Humax on the Samsung in the man cave.
 TV Kaput - smokie
Stuff in our house is the same - "can you look at the dishwasher/laptop/cooker/whatever, as it isn't working right".

Usually works first time for me, no fault found :-)

You know it'll be just fine till you settle down to watch something :-)

DVD player long redundant for me

TV Kaput - Zero

>>
>> Ill test the Humax on the Samsung in the man cave.

And it works OK on the Samsung.

Mrs Z said to me, "so its fixed then"

I said "No its working - its not the same thing by any means"
 TV Kaput - BiggerBadderDave
"3 years ago I replaced a 42" inch TV with a 50", recalling that when I got the 42 it looked enormous but only for about a month. Same now with the 50", I'm thinking that's a bit small."

I remember being chuffed to bits when I bought a 32" widescreen in the late 90s. It dominated the living room and I loved it. Now the smallest screen in the house is the 32" computer screen that I work on. And I could do with it being a bit bigger.
 TV Kaput - zippy
>>And I could do with it being a bit bigger.
>>

Should have gone to spec-savers :-)

Last edited by: zippy on Fri 18 Mar 22 at 19:01
 TV Kaput - BiggerBadderDave
Must be an age thing. I learned my trade on a Macintosh 128k in the 80s with it's whopping 9 inches.
 TV Kaput - James Loveless
BiggerBadderDave said, "... it's whopping 9 inches."

I say, "Ooh, er, missus."
 TV Kaput - Crankcase
From Internet chatter rather than personal experience, JL is no longer the go to for this kind of stuff. Apart from dropping the price matching thing, the customer service is apparently now utterly appalling.

Anyone confirm or contradict that with recent experiences?
 TV Kaput - bathtub tom
Local radio consumer programme does seem to have more than its fair share of JL stories, usually JL stating 'it's out of warranty' whilst ignoring consumer rights.
 TV Kaput - CGNorwich
I buy a lot of stuff from John Lewis both in store and online. Have never had a problem with them and always found the staff friendly efficient and knowledgable. More so than nearly every other shop on the high street. I wouldn’t believe everything you here from the professional complainers on those local radio programs.
 TV Kaput - zippy
>> JL the customer service is apparently now utterly appalling.
>>
>> Anyone confirm or contradict that with recent experiences?
>>

I would agree.

The Times ran a consumer piece about a dead device just out of warranty and JL refused to help, despite the 6 year legal protection due to manufacturing fault, of which I am no expert. The Times got on the case and JL repaired the device and promised to retrain their staff.

A short while later, a laptop we purchased from them played up - a screen fault. It was the same fault that occurred previously and was repaired under warranty.

It was just outside warranty and JL's reaction was tough. We pointed out the afore mentioned article and still got a "tough".
 TV Kaput - smokie
From my own very narrow and few experiences recently (last 12 - 18 months) companies seem reluctant to put themselves out as much for customers in the way they used to. My direct experiences which spring to mind were with O2 (twice, the ombudsman agreed one was wrong though and modest compo was awarded), Virgin and Revolut though it just feels I have had more difficulty dealing with others than I used to have.

The exception remains Amazon who are so good when it comes to returns and refunds. Hard to find fault with them on anything really.
 TV Kaput - sooty123
How about costco, they are supposed to be pretty good customer service wise and they sell loadsof tvs.
 TV Kaput - Fullchat
" .........recently (last 12 - 18 months) companies seem reluctant to put themselves out as much for customers in the way they used to."

Agree wholeheardedly with that. Most interactions have become a battle.
 TV Kaput - zippy
>>Amazon...

When I moved in to the current money pit I had ordered something smallish (<£30) from Amazon. It was a consumable - probably a water filter for the fridge.

My phone pinged to say the product arrived but it hadn't.

I had checked around the property and nothing had been dropped over the fence, put in the recycling bin etc. Both neighbours were out with one being on holiday.

So I went on line to Amazon customer services and they refunded me without question.

A couple of days later the neighbour that was on holiday popped the item over as it had been posted to their letter box.

I went back on line to Amazon and said that I now had the product and that they could charge me again if they liked as I had received the refund.

They said that as the incorrect delivery had inconvenienced me, I could keep the product and the refund would stand.

TV Kaput - Zero
>> >>Amazon...
>

Amazon have developed a good business model. Volumes are so large that it would be very expensive to run a large refunds/complaints/customer sat operation. So if you complain, they refund/reship everything*. Its all done by AI so automatic. The AI spots trends for fraud/systemic failures etc and can change the thresholds for human intervention action. Result is high customer sat.

* Everything? no. Sometimes on Amazon, you are not buying from amazon (Amazon Market Place). Amazon are merely a shop window in these cases so your beef is with the supplier, but increasingly they refund and take the money back from the supplier (who cant complain!!!!)
 TV Kaput - henry k
>>Amazon have developed a good business model.
>> Volumes are so large that it would be very expensive to run a large refunds/complaints/customer sat operation.

Many years ago one of the then New Zealand airlines also had a simple system.
A book to log complaints in and IIRC then send them a cheque.

I know of one more recent case of a customer complaining of a minor injury on a flight.
He was not aware that major airlines talk to each other re claims.
A very unlucky guy to suffer the same injury on several airlines.

TV Kaput - zippy
>>Amazon...

I understand that they do sack customers who return too much or do Section 75 chargebacks.
 TV Kaput - Stuartli
Was the Panasonic bought from John Lewis? My youngest offspring has a Panny whose power supply packed up, so he arranged to have it repaired under the JL warranty.

To his surprise, it turned out that the TV didn't have the proper Panasonic power supply fitted originally, so this was dutifully replaced. Still going strong several years later.

Incidentally, the comments earlier about the Turkish manufacturer producing models for some of the big brand names is absolutely correct and they are certainly not of the standard that had come to be expected.
 TV Kaput - Manatee
Vestel are OK for what they are, but Panasonic they aren't of course. But I noticed when I was last shopping for a TV that the Vestel-made sets typically said "assembled in Turkey" on the label. That makes me think that the electronics etc. might well be Chinese like everything else. Why wouldn't they be?
 TV Kaput - Bromptonaut
>> Anyone confirm or contradict that with recent experiences?

Bought one of the Vestal built but Panasonic badged sets from them a year ago. JL sold it but picked up a Waitrose.

Faulty out of the box as after being on for a few minutes it would no longer respond to either the remote or the set mounted buttons.

Intended to just return it to Waitrose for a refund - nothing else suitable in stock at JL. Website however asked that they be phoned for faulty goods which I did but only after dismantling the set and re packing it.

Before being given a 'return number' I was supposed to run through various diagnostics No amount of protest that I'd already done this could gain any traction. In the end I pretended to do it with the inevitable result of it not obeying the remote!!

Was told I could not just return it as it might have my personal data on it from set up. Reason given was GDPR. Needless to say when pressed on which one of the regulations was engaged she couldn't say and admitted it was company policy.

Eventually sorted and an LG purchased from Currys.

TV Kaput - Manatee
Returns are an interesting subject for retailers. One of the reasons everybody loved M&S in its heyday was their willingness to swap or refund items almost without question, and most of my family would buy each other presents from Marks for that reason.

Years ago I worked with a big electrical retailer when returns became a real problem. Camcorders were getting popular but were very expensive. It was common to sell one during the week and it would be returned for a refund on the Monday, often with confetti in the box; or a couple of weeks after purchase with sand inside. A new, tough refund policy was introduced but it didn't last very long - the aggro it created with genuine customers was terrible, and predictable.

I'm a huge admirer of Next Directory as an innovation although the internet has since changed the landscape. Mail order always had a big return element, in the days when everybody had a Great Universal, Littlewoods or Grattan catalogue my mother would routinely order things in different sizes and colours, sending back the 'rejects' but Directory went to a new level - it had some comparatively expensive, aspirational merchandise in it and also offered next day delivery and easy returns. A 'customer' could be invited to a party on Friday, order a new dress to wear on Saturday, and send it back on Monday. Plenty did, and repeatedly.

JLP has had a tough time. They will definitely have looked at the returns "opportunity" and it sounds as if they have tightened up and got it wrong. One reason people shop with JLP is trust, the belief that if there is a problem they will do whatever it takes to sort things out. If they are ready to mess with that reputation, they are in bigger trouble than they thought.
 TV Kaput - sooty123
I hadnt realised that there was a thing about ordering tons of stuff online , mainly clothes, and then sending loads if not all of it back. I only knew it was a thing a couple of years ago when I read an article about it. Seems some do it all the time to 'make themselves feel good' play dress up then send it all back.

I guess everyone needs a hobby. Must cost abit for the companies though.
 TV Kaput - bathtub tom
>> I guess everyone needs a hobby. Must cost abit for the companies though.

The companies have only one source of income; You and I, the paying customer.
 TV Kaput - sooty123
>> >> I guess everyone needs a hobby. Must cost abit for the companies though.
>>
>> The companies have only one source of income; You and I, the paying customer.
>>

I think you know what I meant :)
 TV Kaput - Falkirk Bairn
When M&S ordered goods from UK suppliers i.e More than 25 years ago faulty goods/burst zips etc the goods were RTM'd (Return to Manufacturer) for credit value. Goods made from outside the UK were dumped as there was no return method. M&S to all intents, do not make clothing/textiles in the UK, so zero RTMs.

Great Service
The reluctance to take back anything by loads of retailers - some, like Amazon, have been very good, in the few occasions I have had to sent back faulty items. Faulty new laptop, £1200, replaced without any quibble by Costco, no question of repairing.

Others not so good
Ordered perfume a few days ago, a birthday present, £40 worth, arrived corner bashed box/ torn cellophane, took it back to the local outlet (who did not have stock). There was the inquisition as to returning it. I said it was a birthday present and what was delivered was not up to a reasonable standard when delivered. "The perfume in the bottle will be fine" was the reply. Grudgingly they then refunded the £40.
 TV Kaput - Bobby
I don’t have enough time to tell you all the stories about the abuse of Safeways refund and replace policy when I was there!!
Most annoying but was you had serial offenders and area managers would not back you up if you refused. And the serial offenders knew that.
 TV Kaput - Fullchat
You must have one that's top of the list though? Its a quiet day :/
 TV Kaput - Robin O'Reliant
While online clothing retailers get hit by scammers a lot of returns are their own fault. I had a collection of retro cycling cycling jerseys that became obsolete when my cycling went from serious to casual short distance rides in ordinary shorts and T shirt. When I disposed of them on ebay I put front and back lengths, both inner and outer sleeve length and collar size. I never had a return or a complaint.

Buying is a nightmare when clothing is described as S,M,L, XL etc. You go for medium in a jacket and it fits like an aircraft hanger fits a Vulcan bomber, order large from a different supplier and it will barely do up with sleeves that finish half way between elbow and wrist. If they gave full measurements half those returns would disappear straight away.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 20 Mar 22 at 19:08
 TV Kaput - Kevin
I'm waiting for an update on the status of this dodgy TV.

And looking forward to when the other two items inevitably fail in sympathy.
 TV Kaput - legacylad
Car & dog ?

Only kidding Z
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 20 Mar 22 at 20:21
 TV Kaput - Zero
>> I'm waiting for an update on the status of this dodgy TV.

There is no update, its all currently working, I know not why, the other two will have to wait.
 TV Kaput - Stuartli
An equally strange event. My Google Nexus 10 tablet packed up three years ago - diagnosed as battery failure - so bought a new one for a modest £70 (only used as a server) when local computer repair man said it would probably prove the best course cost wise.

Today, I came across the Nexus and battery charger, so out of curiosity plugged it in. Indicated it was charging up...

So after an hour or so I went through the tips (done several times originally) to try and get it working again and, lo and behold, after two hours' effort, it's doing so....!!!
 TV Kaput - Stuartli
Further to above re Nexus 10. So far it's holding a full charge, has had a number of new apps installed on top of the originals and is proving to be something of an unexpected surprise......

May be 10 years old, but still one of the best displays of any tablet around.
Latest Forum Posts